Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’d be really curious to see if there’s any car with a significant break-in process that isn’t some $120k enthusiast car. My WRX had a lot of instructions that I ignored because they were so vague except for the “don’t redline it constantly” one, which is good advice in general.

Most performance ICEs have a break in period specified in the manual, usually stipulating that you not take the RPM above a certain limit for around 1000 miles, as well as other things such as alternating engine load for the first hundred or so miles to ensure that piston rings are seated properly.

I know when I read the manual on my mustang I was surprised to see a section on engine break-in telling me to not take the engine above 4000 rpm for 1000 miles and to alternate the engine speed regularly between 2000 and 3500 rpm while driving for the first 100 or so.

Consumer appliance ICEs or hybrids likely won't have a specified break in period listed, as you're unlikely to push the engine to the point that something might break in the first 1000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

carticket posted:

I did the buzzwords to my last new car: paint correction, ceramic coating, paint protection film. It still looks really good four years on, considering it's only been washed once, and every other time has just been a soapy rinse. If I actually washed it like twice a year and did the coating maintenance, it would probably still look new. In my case, the car is a special edition, and the paint is part of the special, so I didn't mind spending the money.

That being said, do not pay a dealership to do any of that. If you want to do it, find a shop that actually specializes in it. It probably won't cost more than what the dealership charges, and you're more likely to get something good that will last.

Thanks, yeah, I'm long home from the dealer and it was an out-of-state purchase. I'm just trying to figure out the best possible ratio of minimum maintenance effort to maximum preservation of vehicle condition.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have some doubts that "break in" really does anything tbh. I've heard recommendations like not driving at constant speed at the highway (to vary RPM and what not) and what the hell is that going to do? I also saw this video a few years ago where they did a test with two bikes and did the right procedure on one and redlined the other immediately and there was no measurable difference in the engine or oil condition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpoglovyy_8

I'm pretty sure user-swappable batteries for cars isn't a completely new idea but I haven't seen an actual production car with one yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LHh6FkpuI

Pretty interesting, but again it's the size of those fake quad-cars and costs 17 grand so I dunno. 149km range let's say 100 in reality, and like 90km/h top speed which is definitely more usable than something like the Ami.

It could work for me with one 40km city trip + some shopping and what not per week, then drag the batteries inside. Still, I know it's not fair but 17k gets you a lot of other cars. Or a lot of gas for my shitbox Fit.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 28, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I don’t consider “don’t drive like a loon and don’t go at a constant speed” to be a significant break-in process, and the latter instruction is just confusing because I don’t know if they’re suggesting I oscillate between 30mph and 50mph in city traffic or just avoid taking a cross county road trip with cruise control pegged at 80mph. I have seen instructions for enthusiast vehicles that are much more detailed with specific instructions and early maintenance.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
We should make up random weird break in suggestions for EVs: Don’t let the battery go below 40% for the first 1000 miles; your first 10 charging sessions should alternate between fast and slow charging; don’t park on an incline so the electrons don’t pool in one end of the battery

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

borkencode posted:

We should make up random weird break in suggestions for EVs: Don’t let the battery go below 40% for the first 1000 miles; your first 10 charging sessions should alternate between fast and slow charging; don’t park on an incline so the electrons don’t pool in one end of the battery

Lol the older bolts actually have something enforced in the firmware where you can't charge them to full for like 10000 miles or something along those lines. I think it's related to their battery fire recalls?

On the boltev forums there's threads where people celebrate when they finally pass the mileage restriction and can fully charge up their cars

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

borkencode posted:

If you drive in reverse it charges the battery

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Turn the battery around so that driving forward charges it. One weirde trick they don't want you to know

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

borkencode posted:

Don’t let the battery go below 40% for the first 1000 miles

Needs to be more ridiculous. Like, never charge at home with an odd percentage left on the battery. Sometimes this means you have to drive around the block a few times before pulling in, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Do not attempt to operate or charge the vehicle when ambient temperature is outside of 65f-75f, for the first 1,000 miles.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't remove the frunk shrimp for the first week of driving, just keep the ice topped up. If your frunk didn't come with shrimp then call your dealer

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I legit love the Volvo one pedal driving, the regen seems really strong and I rarely if ever touch the brake now. I did some experiments at night next to some white columns so I could see how it lights up and the brake lights actually change intensity based on how much I let up. It’s really nice. Just been going on Pure (rwd electric motors only) to and from work and charging up at both ends.

Another cool feature that I never had seen before is rear fog lights which boosts the rear lights up so it’s more visible to cars behind in a thick fog. Pretty smart! We have had some super foggy days here. However the v60 polestar does not have front fog lights but the headlights are quite good anyway so it’s not a huge deal.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but apparently GM decided not to replace the battery on our 2020 Bolt.

Instead we got a software update with some diagnostics to check if the battery is ok and alert you if there's a problem. GM also gave us $1400 in "here's your fix now shut the gently caress up" money. Bolt never leaves town, so that's fine with me.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Two months of used 2017 Bolt ownership and the only complaints I have are related to the interface.

I find the center screen is too low, and too far away. Half of that is my stumpy little arms, but being too low seems like a poor design decision. It's impossible for me to use without taking my eyes off the road.

The other complaint is pretty minor - I can't find anywhere that tells me how much juice it's getting from a charge. The UI doesn't seem to have that built-in, I have to use the app.

Otherwise, it's an excellent car. No squeaks or rattles anywhere, good efficiency, good handling, good power, and the ride is excellent.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Is there any reason ID4s are so heavily discounted right now? On paper it looks like a great deal for an EV as it qualifies for the $7500 tax credit on top of being listed for ~30k in a lot of places. The Ioniq5 and EV6 look similar but they're consistently 7-10k more expensive and don't qualify for the credit. Haven't test driven anything yet.

Not in any rush to buy, but I want something reliable that I can plan on driving for 10-15 years with minimal repairs/hassle like my current 2008 TL...

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The lease loophole allows the Hyundai/Kias to still effectively get the $7500 credit. Supposedly the RWD configs are less popular and might get a bit of discount. I've seen some dealers pretty down on the reliability of ID4's they've sold, but take that with a grain of salt as sales tend to be kind of FUD-y on EVs (mostly because their pricing is often structured so there's minimal profit for their commission to be based off of).

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Is Hyundai still doing the lease $7500 deals? Haven't seen it since last month.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Not in any rush to buy, but I want something reliable that I can plan on driving for 10-15 years with minimal repairs/hassle like my current 2008 TL...

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION but...

I would stick to ICE versus an EV if that's the case. EVs today are very much 1.0 products. If that timeline was 5-7 years, maybe EVs.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Is there any reason ID4s are so heavily discounted right now? On paper it looks like a great deal for an EV as it qualifies for the $7500 tax credit on top of being listed for ~30k in a lot of places. The Ioniq5 and EV6 look similar but they're consistently 7-10k more expensive and don't qualify for the credit. Haven't test driven anything yet.

VW made way too many 2023 models, and the ID4 doesn’t stand out much from the competition. Plus, is kind of expensive relative to a lot of the other VW lineup.

You can expect discounts up to $16K on the top-spec model (including the Federal EV rebate).

Plus, I think any EV qualifies for the tax credit through leasing, so the pressure from eg the Hyundais is very much there at MSRP.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I really like the look of the ID.4. I suppose it’s probably too early to know how difficult it is maintenance wise? My parents drove VWs and Audis for my entire childhood and they were constantly in the shop so I’ve become quite wary of German cars, but an EV should have a lot less points of failure.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TheWevel posted:

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION but...

I would stick to ICE versus an EV if that's the case. EVs today are very much 1.0 products. If that timeline was 5-7 years, maybe EVs.

I'll throw in a differing opinion: I've only had EVs since 2017 and every one of them (Tesla, Nissan, Chevrolet) has been less maintenance than any gas car I've ever owned.

TheWevel's instincts here aren't misplaced: we don't have as much data about EVs as we have about ICE cars. And there are going to be some lemons. But at least my experience is that this technology is shaping up to be a lot lower-maintenance than the one it's replacing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Failson posted:

Two months of used 2017 Bolt ownership and the only complaints I have are related to the interface.

I find the center screen is too low, and too far away. Half of that is my stumpy little arms, but being too low seems like a poor design decision. It's impossible for me to use without taking my eyes off the road.

The other complaint is pretty minor - I can't find anywhere that tells me how much juice it's getting from a charge. The UI doesn't seem to have that built-in, I have to use the app.

Otherwise, it's an excellent car. No squeaks or rattles anywhere, good efficiency, good handling, good power, and the ride is excellent.

I also think the screen in the 2023 is too low, and the center glovebox console is also too far back to even get your elbow to rest on it, it needs a chair arm on the right side of the driver's seat. It's also just a hole so you need to buy a tray. The glove box is also kinda funky, it doesn't hold much and it is angled weird so stuff can fall out. I also think the rear brakes are dumb, both front and back should have the same turning signal design

The only other complaint is the charging speed is just, it's unacceptablely slow, 50kw was fine a while ago but it really should be at 250kw or so; 800v ends up being 18m for 10-80% which is entirely reasonable. If you're puttering around your state normally, it's fine, but road trips with this is rather tiring, I went to west PA and it added like six hours+ of waiting for the battery to charge.

If I had the money, I would get a Ioniq 5 Limited RWD (all of the ones I see in stock are AWD but I wouldn't be interested in that, because of the range decrease) but alas, it isn't to be. I'll certainly consider it later on when it's more financially viable.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Anyone else notice an uptick in anti-EV content popping up on their feeds (youtube, news, twitter, etc)?

Perhaps I watched the wrong video and got flagged, but I'm getting a bunch of "These people bought an EV and now TOTALLY regret it!!" videos which regurgitate the same ol' issues with EVs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Freezer posted:

Anyone else notice an uptick in anti-EV content popping up on their feeds (youtube, news, twitter, etc)?

Perhaps I watched the wrong video and got flagged, but I'm getting a bunch of "These people bought an EV and now TOTALLY regret it!!" videos which regurgitate the same ol' issues with EVs.

my feed is very Left, so I get a lot of “Elon sucks” content and by extension a lot of “Teslas, specifically, are bad/poorly built/anti-union/unsafe/etc” content, but very very rarely have I gotten explicitly anti-EV/pro-gas content

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Freezer posted:

It's been election time in a lot of european states recently so the russian bot farms are boosting right-wing antiev rhetoric which are low effort and high return.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Freezer posted:

I saw some of them a couple months ago maybe? Never opened any of them, though. I can't recall seeing any recently.

The Algorithm serves up what it thinks you will click on. Big shocker, I know: you pretty much said the same thing in your post.

Lately I've been getting a lot of poo poo about expensive jewelry. I can't think of anything I'm less interested in. Maybe I looked up Fabergé last month or something :shrug:

e: and Texas. Honestly, my "news feed" is a 2-minute diversion these days, it's full of dumb crap I couldn't care less about. This makes me feel like I won.

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 28, 2023

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Lol the older bolts actually have something enforced in the firmware where you can't charge them to full for like 10000 miles or something along those lines. I think it's related to their battery fire recalls?

On the boltev forums there's threads where people celebrate when they finally pass the mileage restriction and can fully charge up their cars

The last software update to deal with the LG battery fire recall introduced this. Instead of replacing every battery they installed software that limits max charge to 80% and monitors the battery. After 6200 miles the limit is automatically removed if no issues are detected.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I was looking at a Bolt EV as a well priced electric econobox that qualifies for the full tax credit, then noticed while researching that the Bolt EUV has Super Cruise as an option on the higher tier trim, which is very enticing to me, but of course that's a lot more expensive than the base Bolt EV trim, and now I don't know what to do.

I'm aware that Super Cruise is just L2, but it still seems pretty nice for freeway driving.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I didn't get super cruise and now kind of wish I did, fwiw. The fact you need to eventually have OnStar and a subscription or something put me off.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

morothar posted:

VW made way too many 2023 models, and the ID4 doesn’t stand out much from the competition. Plus, is kind of expensive relative to a lot of the other VW lineup.

You can expect discounts up to $16K on the top-spec model (including the Federal EV rebate).

Plus, I think any EV qualifies for the tax credit through leasing, so the pressure from eg the Hyundais is very much there at MSRP.

VW massively underproduced and still didn't sell many. They got a slow start in the transition from the German cars to Chattanooga cars, probably from battery issues, and missed the boat on the EV bubble by the time they got building in volume. There were some other significant problems like the door handle recall that really kept them from building/selling many until recently, but welp, too late.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cicero posted:

I was looking at a Bolt EV as a well priced electric econobox that qualifies for the full tax credit, then noticed while researching that the Bolt EUV has Super Cruise as an option on the higher tier trim, which is very enticing to me, but of course that's a lot more expensive than the base Bolt EV trim, and now I don't know what to do.

I'm aware that Super Cruise is just L2, but it still seems pretty nice for freeway driving.

FYI chevrolet already said the bolt will stop getting supercruise mapping updates. If you get the ACC package you can add OpenPilot, but that’s not compatible with supercruise cars. I haven’t tried it myself because I can’t bring myself to install open source driver assistant software on the car my family rides in.

I did order supercruise on the lyriq though. The dealer took a deposit but when does that actually turn into an order?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I also think the screen in the 2023 is too low, and the center glovebox console is also too far back to even get your elbow to rest on it, it needs a chair arm on the right side of the driver's seat. It's also just a hole so you need to buy a tray. The glove box is also kinda funky, it doesn't hold much and it is angled weird so stuff can fall out. I also think the rear brakes are dumb, both front and back should have the same turning signal design

The low screen in the Bolt is one of my favorite things about it, it avoids the tablet-glued-to-dash thing every car has nowadays.

The arm room isn't great though, and one of my bigger pet peeves with the car since I'm 6'4.

Also agree on the ridiculously crippled charging speed, I don't need 250kW charging on a small efficient car, but at least give me 1.5C man.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Talorat posted:

I really like the look of the ID.4. I suppose it’s probably too early to know how difficult it is maintenance wise? My parents drove VWs and Audis for my entire childhood and they were constantly in the shop so I’ve become quite wary of German cars, but an EV should have a lot less points of failure.

Only had ours less than a year, but it's holding up really well, no issues of any sort.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

give me 1.5C man

Your battery will last a lot longer if you stay under the speed of light.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cruft posted:

Depends on what frame of reference you're measuring time from...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

What kind of headlights does that vehicle have and why does it??

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wayne Knight posted:

FYI chevrolet already said the bolt will stop getting supercruise mapping updates. If you get the ACC package you can add OpenPilot, but that’s not compatible with supercruise cars. I haven’t tried it myself because I can’t bring myself to install open source driver assistant software on the car my family rides in.

I did order supercruise on the lyriq though. The dealer took a deposit but when does that actually turn into an order?

I think Chevy works about the same as Ford, with Ford it turns into an order as soon as the dealer has available allocation but then it can sit for many months waiting for the build to be scheduled.

With my Bronco it took 2 years for the "reservation" to turn in an order and then it took about 3 months for the build to get scheduled and then about a month for it to get railed and then trucked to the dealer. But that's because Bronco's had insanely high demand at the time so no idea on the Lyriq.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Chronojam posted:

I didn't get super cruise and now kind of wish I did, fwiw. The fact you need to eventually have OnStar and a subscription or something put me off.

I bought my EUV with supercruise, mostly because I liked the rest of the vehicle and it was actually available at the time. It's.. fine. There are very few areas around me that it actually works consistently in. Ironically in Northern Virginia there has been so much construction on I-66 east that it is unmapped but points west, where I never drive, are.

I did get a survey from GM around 2 months ago asking questions like "if there was a way to significantly increase the coverage of supercruise on your Bolt how much would you pay?" I said about $1k if it was significantly more than just parts of main highways like it currently is.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Wayne Knight posted:

Oh goddammit

Yeah I'll just get the adaptive cruise control I guess and make do with that. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nissan will launch the next-gen LEAF as a crossover coupe SUV to compete better.

God Damnit.