Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In a depressing way, Malvina Hazen is the logical result of Clan society trying to come to terms with a conquered population that does not just sit down and accept their new status. The Ghost Bears still dealing with internal disagreements about how their society should be structured in the ilClan era shows just how hard it is to control non-warriors when "the rest of the universe is evil and you will get murdered there" is an obvious lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

In a depressing way, Malvina Hazen is the logical result of Clan society trying to come to terms with a conquered population that does not just sit down and accept their new status. The Ghost Bears still dealing with internal disagreements about how their society should be structured in the ilClan era shows just how hard it is to control non-warriors when "the rest of the universe is evil and you will get murdered there" is an obvious lie.

Like Asa Taney, she's the logical result of a system where law is replaced by "whomever kills the other was morally right." Like, who would you EXPECT to rise to power when it's all decided by smashing heads?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There was this weird one off bit in the deeply mediocre Prince of Havoc where the Nova Cat khans were convinced by a prophetic vision that if they didn’t fight Asa Taney in the Great Refusal some bad poo poo would go down. He never did anything important after that so…maybe they were right…?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I need a planet where I can do a few sessions of dirty insurgent warfare with the house contractor liason trying to outsource war crimes to the mercs... that is also on the clan invasion corridor as it kicks off a few months later. Suggestions?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Owlbear Camus posted:

I need a planet where I can do a few sessions of dirty insurgent warfare with the house contractor liason trying to outsource war crimes to the mercs... that is also on the clan invasion corridor as it kicks off a few months later. Suggestions?

Dracs in that era are very happy about mercs being an easy throwaway force with plausible deniability/liminal warfare agent thing going on.

Just don't stick around too long, sometimes the Dracs like to turn around and decide they don't like mercs at all anymore and want to exterminate them

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 23, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Dracs in that era are very happy about mercs being an easy throwaway force with plausible deniability/liminal warfare agent thing going on.

Just don't stick around too long, sometimes the Dracs like to turn around and decide they don't mercs at all anymore and want to exterminate them

I was kind of thinking a Free Rasalhague splinter insurgency on a Drac world is probably the way to go, just wasn't sure if there was something baked in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Tamar Pact is probably the best place to set it. They got real mad about the Federated Commonwealth handing over worlds to Rasalhague and Ryan Steiner was sticking his oar in as part of his "Start stupid poo poo > take Skye independent > ???? > Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth" plan.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was kind of thinking a Free Rasalhague splinter insurgency on a Drac world is probably the way to go, just wasn't sure if there was something baked in.

The FRR would absolutely appreciate any help with how undermanned they are at the time

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
FRR had that whole hatred-of-mercenaries angle baked in too

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

someone on a discord suggested a "borzoi equivalent of a catapult" so i did an edit

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

biosterous posted:

someone on a discord suggested a "borzoi equivalent of a catapult" so i did an edit

What's edited? This is clearly a canon mech.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LeschNyhan posted:

What's edited? This is clearly a canon mech.

Nah, FrankenMech. Ravepult, or Cataven.

Can it break the sound barrier, with a nose like that? (I've known Borzoi who seemed to.)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The nose can bend downward so the pilot can see targets when firing from a elevated position.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Nah, FrankenMech. Ravepult, or Cataven.

Can it break the sound barrier, with a nose like that? (I've known Borzoi who seemed to.)

Don't deny the offspring of BT's OTP.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've mostly only been interested in Succession War stuff but I have to admit I love the Ghost Bear color scheme.

vvvv I just picked a clan or house I liked and then found a cool scheme on Unit Color Compendium. I'll probably paint all my mecha this way until I get bored and then paint up an "enemy" for them in case I wanna tech friends.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 26, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
How do you all decide what color schemes / camos to do? Do you create lances / stars that are 'canonically' together or do you just paint your entire collection to match?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I typically paint one major unit for each of my favorite factions and then anything else I paint is for use in narrative games as balance and my collection demands.

Currently the favorite units are:

Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy (8 mechs)
1st Covenant Guards (12 mechs)
Spina Khanate (12 mechs)
Dragoons generic red and black (4 mechs)

And the forces built and painted for narrative games are:

Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy (23 mechs and 5 Elementals)
Clan Wolf Rufus Galaxy (20 mechs and 5 Elementals)
ComStar (24 Mechs and 6 ASFs)
Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion (36 mechs)
Smoke Jaguar Delta Galaxy (45 mechs and 15 Elementals)
Smoke Jaguar Zeta Galaxy (20 mechs and 5 Elementals)
Assorted Operation Bulldog IS forces (in progress)

So realistically it's whatever I happen to be preparing to run at the next convention.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

How do you all decide what color schemes / camos to do? Do you create lances / stars that are 'canonically' together or do you just paint your entire collection to match?

I just find a scheme I like and color them all to match.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

I typically paint one major unit for each of my favorite factions and then anything else I paint is for use in narrative games as balance and my collection demands.
<snip>

So realistically it's whatever I happen to be preparing to run at the next convention.
This, basically. My Kappa Galaxy Jade Falcons were picked by 16 year old me going "Space Wolf Grey and Dark Angels Green is very Jade Falcon, right?" based on the cartoon and MechWarrior 2 and then finding out in Field Manual: Update that they colour scheme had been canonised in the intervening years, conveniently as a second-line Galaxy. My 4th Deneb Light Cavalry which were picked via 19 year old me making up a Federated Suns unit and painting them "desert yellow", then finding out that one existed that was one digit away from my made up unit and adopting that. My ComGuard just came about because someone dumped a load of TRO 2750 mechs into my local nerd store when they used to buy collections and why not at a fiver per mech? My Aurigan Royal Guards were me just testing out how the new plastics took paint, my House Imarra were me liking the art that Xarbala did for the Agroterra and buying one then expanding the lance out. My Black Widow Company are self explanatory. Zeta Battalion came about out of spare metal assault mechs I kept finding myself with out of lots or bundle packs. Finally I have one lance each of Sword of Light, Crucis Lancers, different House Immara, Marik Militia, Lyran Guards, and Team Banzai out of whatever seemed most appropriate from the anniversary box set, since I was using them to run melees at cons in Dublin when that was the current starter box. Sometimes the force I make is just a lance out of spares so everything is painted distinctively for an event (Team Banzai) and sometimes I go nuts and build the entire paper TO&E strenght of a unit at a certain date (4th DLC RTC as of 3067).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Magnetic North posted:

I've been playing as the same regiment (the 2nd Donegal Guards) since the late 90s, they've got a canonical color scheme. As time has gone on, I have added a few different types of decorations to the color scheme for individual units who do things in gameplay.

If I make a really lucky shot with a particular weapon that changes the course of a game, I paint that weapon gold. For instance, I have a Gurkha with a gold sword and a gold shoulder to rep PTN's LP.

If you get a limb shot off, but still make it back, I paint that limb white. They can paint it back the normal Donegal Guards blue by surviving an engagement with that arm intact.

A machine that the unit gets in a swap with another regiment will put the colors of that unit on one or both shoulders. For instance, the 2nd has a Griffin we got in a swap with the 1st Royal Guards so it has blue and gold shoulder plates.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
its 3025, and the ghost of ol' dale earnhardt is still out there

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guys will look at this and think "Hell yeah"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i love the three-possum moon

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jinggau JN-G9CC (i know, it's unusual)
Trebuchet TBT-9R
?????????
2x Swallow Attack WiGEs (the current one with LB 20-X)

Update on this: I picked a Kit Fox configuration I, with the 6 tons of Modular Armor and the TarComp'd cERPPC.

It is absolutely overexpensive for what it's trying to be: a (almost) one-gun sniper of a heavier tonnage and armor coverage. I do not care how easy it is to kill, or how easy it is to pick another 'Mech that's similar and doesn't have the downsides (+1 Piloting, -1 Walk MP, and none of that extra armor in the CT).

It is now my child and I will prove to the galaxy that the configuration is strong and beautiful. :allears:

also: i get to have the option of putting together a different config with a Large Vibroblade

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
OH and also, all the trains and comstar-ish mechs i painted a while back as a birthday gift found their way to the tabletop

my friend to whom they were gifted ran a battletech food drive event. you could donate food to use air and artillery strikes in a train heist scenario he devised. he sent me some pics

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

OH and also, all the trains and comstar-ish mechs i painted a while back as a birthday gift found their way to the tabletop

my friend to whom they were gifted ran a battletech food drive event. you could donate food to use air and artillery strikes in a train heist scenario he devised. he sent me some pics

Dang, that looks amazing. How do you store all this stuff? And the trains were 3d printed right?

Magnetic North posted:

I decide to punish myself by trying to recreate all the clix factions, that way when I get bored with one I have a new schema to try out.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 27, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
*forklifts in a whole pallet of diced tomatoes*

Let’s watch this baby burn

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Dang, that looks amazing. How do you store all this stuff? And the trains were 3d printed right?

no, the trains are cast in resin/metal and sold by brigade models

he's just throwing it all in some pluck foam

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

That's so cool! What a great idea.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

its 3025, and the ghost of ol' dale earnhardt is still out there

Two by two, tits of blue

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Say hello to the 1st Costco Field Artillery

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

GD_American posted:

Say hello to the 1st Costco Field Artillery

Currently running a special on Kirkland 155mm white phosporus shells! Free delivery!

Fearless fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 28, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Update on this: I picked a Kit Fox configuration I, with the 6 tons of Modular Armor and the TarComp'd cERPPC.

It is absolutely overexpensive for what it's trying to be: a (almost) one-gun sniper of a heavier tonnage and armor coverage. I do not care how easy it is to kill, or how easy it is to pick another 'Mech that's similar and doesn't have the downsides (+1 Piloting, -1 Walk MP, and none of that extra armor in the CT).

It is now my child and I will prove to the galaxy that the configuration is strong and beautiful. :allears:

also: i get to have the option of putting together a different config with a Large Vibroblade

This too is my favorite Kit Fox config, which is saying something because all Kit Fox configs have to compete with the Kit Fox A. I wish they did more stupid bullshit configs like the Kit Fox I for the other omnis.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BattleMaster posted:

This too is my favorite Kit Fox config, which is saying something because all Kit Fox configs have to compete with the Kit Fox A. I wish they did more stupid bullshit configs like the Kit Fox I for the other omnis.

It's a cool concept! TBH there's a ton of new potential for revamping classic designs with all the tech that's been dropped down from the Experimental-only list. The Hammerhead has only scratched the surface of the new paradigms to be explored, with more resilient designs that are still just as fast as before and can handle the same weapon payload roles as before, especially with wider availability of Clan tech.

I've been poking and prodding around at getting a speedier cavalry 'Mech put together of the low-end Heavy tonnage category, dipping into goofy concepts like over-400-rated XXL engines + superchargers and Hardened or Ferro-Lamellor armor. If I could just find the right low-heat main gun as a foundation weapon to anchor for lasers/missiles I could Make It Happen

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm eagerly looking forward to the first time someone recreates the 3025 Centurion('s role) as a solid medium trooper with Hardened/AES and some of the more compact/efficient guns to just make life absolutely miserable for whoever needs to kill it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to try painting some of my robots. I know everyone has a favorite brand but what exactly should I be looking at paint wise? Do I need inks and washes or is it fine to just get paint by itself?

My lgs thinks he can get anything but Citadel. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a buy that's just a beginners paint assortment?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Len posted:

I want to try painting some of my robots. I know everyone has a favorite brand but what exactly should I be looking at paint wise? Do I need inks and washes or is it fine to just get paint by itself?

My lgs thinks he can get anything but Citadel. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a buy that's just a beginners paint assortment?

If you are just starting there are a few techniques but IMO the official CGL minis have enough detail to respond well to Army painter speed paints. If you check my post history my most recent image uploads were done with a pretty quick "slap chop" work (youtube tutorials abound, it's basically a zenithal undercoat for more definition using speed/contrast) using speed paints to what I think is a decent tabletop standard.

Alternately as vehicles a simple solid color rattlecan and a drybrush/wash of then a detail pass on some exposed metal, canopy, etc will get you a good effect.

I do recommend getting some waterside decals too if you want them to really shine with just a tad more effort. They really help make the model pop by adding some clean markings and numerals without driving yourself crazy trying to freehand.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 28, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you are just starting there are a few techniques but IMO the official CGL minis have enough detail to respond well to Army painter speed paints. If you check my post history my most recent image uploads were done with a pretty quick "slap chop" work (youtube tutorials abound, it's basically a zenithal undercoat for more definition using speed/contrast) using speed paints to what I think is a decent tabletop standard.

Alternately as vehicles a simple solid color rattlecan and a dtlrybrush/wash of then a detail pass on some exposed metal, canopy, etc will get you a good effect.

I do recommend getting some waterside decals too if you want them to really shine with just a tad more effort. They really help make the model pop by adding some clean markings and numerals without driving yourself crazy trying to freehand.

Freehanding is wild. I had trouble getting it right on a Star Wars Legion clone AT-RT, I can’t imagine doing it on a trooper for that game (let alone a mech with wayyyy smaller panels).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do the speed paints work over black primer? I did spray mine black but it sounds like they work best over something with a white coat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Len posted:

How do the speed paints work over black primer? I did spray mine black but it sounds like they work best over something with a white coat

I use GW Contrast Militarum Green, Blood Angels Red, and Aggaros Dunes, and have found that drybrushing white over the black really helps a lot! With aggaros Dunes the difference is really stark, since you'll get muddy brown with black vs desert camo tan with white.

For getting paints I was watching the Camospecs tutorials and specifically nabbed the paints used. The Vallejo WWII Allies color set is awesome if you want more camo stuff, and it comes with Vallejo Pale Sand, which somehow you can drybrush onto everything and it just adds detail.