Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mauer does not have similar team success numbers

I’m not really concerned with PAs for the catcher position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dawson had 48 WAR as an Expo, 19 as a Cub. The plaque can drat well stay as it is.

Now excuse me while I stand over here in my :colbert: pose while being buried in cubsposts

I never thought I'd see add up the wars for a hat plaque

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

euphronius posted:

??

I think mauer should be in the hall of fame

But posey is like “what if you had mauer but also he contributed to huge team success ?”

One of the best players of the past 20 years or so

Gotcha, I misunderstood your position. I do see how you could view them as having substantively different careers based on playoffs, even if I don't personally agree it should be used as a separator

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Citing the WAR totals is a helpful shorthand way to express that Dawson's entire prime was spent as an Expo. He had two good years with the Cubs and the rest was just hanging around. He absolutely should be enshrined as an Expo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's fine if a player doesn't specify a preference but Dawson is specifically saying he wants it to be a Cubs hat. Not sure why WAR totals should trump that, especially considering the Expo's no longer exist and he's a celebrated former Cub player today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also as mentioned mauer played roughly half of his games a C whereas posey played about 85% of his games at C

Roughly. Just eyeballing the stats

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

That's fine if a player doesn't specify a preference but Dawson is specifically saying he wants it to be a Cubs hat. Not sure why WAR totals should trump that, especially considering the Expo's no longer exist and he's a celebrated former Cub player today.

Didn't Boggs want to go in as a Devil Ray? Isn't that what it was all about?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

euphronius posted:

Also as mentioned mauer played roughly half of his games a C whereas posey played about 85% of his games at C

Roughly. Just eyeballing the stats

He played about 100 games less at catcher than Posey for his career.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

live with fruit posted:

I believe the Rays were going to pay him to go in with a Rays cap

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I believe the Rays were going to pay him to go in with a Rays cap

The Rays are loving gross.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Yeah players were allowed to pick their hats until the Hall got wind that the Rays were trying to pay Boggs to go in with a Rays cap instead of a Red Sox one.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The idea that Dawson shouldn't be in there as an Expo because they don't exist anymore goes against the whole point of the Hall of Fame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Popete posted:

This isn't an argument about the validity of WAR. In this case the cited WAR totals are perfectly valid--any thirty-second look at his tradstats with a cursory familiarity with park effects is sufficient to see that to the extent he was a Great Player, it was almost entirely as an Expo. That the Expos no longer exist is not an argument for memory holing them. It seems appropriate, in the centerpiece exhibit of a museum that celebrates baseball history, to favor accurately depicting baseball history over the personal preferences of the enshrined players, should the two conflict.

If it's a close call--Fisk with the Red Sox/White Sox, for example, or Bunning with the Tigers/Phillies--by all means let the player pick. This is not a marginal call.

e: Fisk isn't that good an example really, he played longer with the White Sox but most of his best years were in Boston

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 28, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Has Dawson made any money off of the Cubs since he retired? Is there a difference between being cut a check and getting a "Special Adviser to whatever" job?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How do you feel about changing Tim Raines' cap to the White Sox? After all, the Expos don't exist anymore. And humorously, his WAR data is almost identical to Dawson's (48 with Montreal, 16 with Chicago).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Stop the press!

https://twitter.com/BRWalkoff/status/1729551211114717654

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Milovan Drecun posted:

He played about 100 games less at catcher than Posey for his career.

Yeah good point. Exactly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Giving out Tanaka's number is rude. Just bring him back.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

live with fruit posted:

Has Dawson made any money off of the Cubs since he retired? Is there a difference between being cut a check and getting a "Special Adviser to whatever" job?

He was pulled out of the ivy a few years ago

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MLB really needs to do something to make the free agency period more like the NBAs and NFLs. This poo poo is boring.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

This isn't an argument about the validity of WAR. In this case the cited WAR totals are perfectly valid--any thirty-second look at his tradstats with a cursory familiarity with park effects is sufficient to see that to the extent he was a Great Player, it was almost entirely as an Expo. That the Expos no longer exist is not an argument for memory holing them. It seems appropriate, in the centerpiece exhibit of a museum that celebrates baseball history, to favor accurately depicting baseball history over the personal preferences of the enshrined players, should the two conflict.

If it's a close call--Fisk with the Red Sox/White Sox, for example, or Bunning with the Tigers/Phillies--by all means let the player pick. This is not a marginal call.

e: Fisk isn't that good an example really, he played longer with the White Sox but most of his best years were in Boston

It isn't about memory holing the Expos my point was that there is no longer an Expos team to offend by changing hats, sure some fans might be upset but it's Dawson asking to change the hat seems like if a player has a preference they should honour that over whatever career stats they compiled (barring external factors like being paid to go in with a given team).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

MLB really needs to do something to make the free agency period more like the NBAs and NFLs. This poo poo is boring.

I don't really follow either the NFL/NBA but what exactly is so interesting about their off seasons?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

bawfuls posted:

Johan should have won the 2005 Cy Young, which would have gotten him 3 instead of 2, and maybe also the Hall because everyone with 3 or more is in or expected to be.

I really hope Snellzilla gets number three and also has a career war of like 35

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Popete posted:

I don't really follow either the NFL/NBA but what exactly is so interesting about their off seasons?

Players sign as soon as FA opens. The Deal Zone, if you will, is is immediate

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

They have similar numbers but Mauer had 2300 more PA.
entirely at 1B and DH

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also in the NBA teams actually make trades.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The idea that Dawson shouldn't be in there as an Expo because they don't exist anymore goes against the whole point of the Hall of Fame.
yeah if anything their nonexistance is an argument FOR him having an Expos hat

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met instead of the Expos so I'm glad the Hall got that one right, at least

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nodoze posted:

Players sign as soon as FA opens. The Deal Zone, if you will, is is immediate

Even NHL players sign immediately, even if most of them are just poo poo cloggers

MLB is the only league where FA just drags on

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If everyone signs immediately then what do you have to talk about all off season? HoF hats?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't own a lot of baseball memorabilia but my partners sister got me these coasters (and some nice glasses) for Christmas and they are pretty neat.

Also I did not remember Coco Crisp played for Cleveland in the World Series.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

I don't own a lot of baseball memorabilia but my partners sister got me these coasters (and some nice glasses) for Christmas and they are pretty neat.

wanna see the version of this from that play at the end of 2020 game 4

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Owns

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

If everyone signs immediately then what do you have to talk about all off season? HoF hats?

We could argue about how many dingers Ohtani will hit onto Waveland with half a seasons ABs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How many games a year do the Dodgers play in Wrigley, about 4? So probably 1 or 2

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1729633781500235911

Sign him, Jed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Look how great the big contract Comeback Player of the Year Josh Hamilton got turned out!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Look how great the big contract Comeback Player of the Year Josh Hamilton got turned out!

Or that other Josh, Josh Donaldson!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

rickiep00h posted:

Or that other Josh, Josh Donaldson!

Thankfully he's Cody and not Josh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Who is the youngest player to ever win comeback player of the year?