Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
The ups and downs of this case continue. The moment to moment puzzels on day 2 are better than the first day, but they're undermined by the fact that there is no good reason for phoenix to care about exonerating Meekins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I wonder what would be ethical for an attorney if they can shift the blame away from their client onto another, also probably innocent suspect. They are obligated to do their best to defend their client are they not? Is there leeway to half rear end it because something would be in poor taste or dubious?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it would be misconduct to deliberately frame someone you suspect to be innocent, but I think actual defense attorney best practice would be to simply not cross-examine testimony that exonerates your client.

It's a conceit of the setting that you are the only one who does actual cross-examinations, but in a more realistic setting it would be Edgeworth's job to shred Meekins.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
It's a matter of degrees. Throwing around obviously baseless accusations will get you in trouble for wasting the court's time if nothing else, but if there is a plausible case for another suspect being guilty it is fair to advocate for it in court, even if the evidence is weaker than the evidence against your client.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Note, however, that Meekins is not our client.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Koboje posted:

I wonder what would be ethical for an attorney if they can shift the blame away from their client onto another, also probably innocent suspect. They are obligated to do their best to defend their client are they not? Is there leeway to half rear end it because something would be in poor taste or dubious?

In an actual court you'd be hammering it on the other suspect because

A: The other person isn't on trial; your client is (and when it comes time for their trial, if it comes time for their trial, they will do the same for your client because of B)
B: If someone else could have plausibly committed the crime, then there is a reasonable doubt as to whether or not your client committed the crime, which means that a jury should find your client innocent

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dirk the Average posted:

In an actual court you'd be hammering it on the other suspect because

A: The other person isn't on trial; your client is (and when it comes time for their trial, if it comes time for their trial, they will do the same for your client because of B)
B: If someone else could have plausibly committed the crime, then there is a reasonable doubt as to whether or not your client committed the crime, which means that a jury should find your client innocent

I'm going to put a pin in this.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

I'm going to put a pin in this.

There's a reason I said actual court and not Japanafornia court.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 140: Episode 5, Day 3, Trial Former: Traipsing Trap

Wow, we have a lot of evidence. Anyway, there's an interesting vote result. Would it surprise you to learn that either option would work here? But before I present the seemingly obvious contradiction here, let's get the pressing done.

There's one other thing that proves the man was Detective Goodman, sir!

Yes, sir! Solid as stone, sir!

If my hand wasn't wrapped in bandages...

Sound: Ween

Ugh, please tell me we're almost done with this guy.

Couldn't he just use his right hand for that...?

Let's hear him out fully.

quote:

Original line: "The witness can't afford to make any more mistakes." New line certainly fits better.

To enter the evidence room, one must use their ID card!

Is that card hanging from your neck one of these ID cards?

I keep it here so I won't ever forget it!

Maybe I shouldn't wear it around my neck...
Sound: Realization

Well, the remaining time, it's my ID card that gets stuck.

(Maybe I should just leave this one alone...)

At any rate, each police officer has only one ID card.

Yeah and Gumshoe will also testify to losing his card once a month.

Please proceed with your testimony.

When an ID card is used, there's a record of it!

Let me see... yes, that would be it.

Detective Goodman...

Music: Silence

? (What's the matter?)

A-according to this...

Sound: Drama Pound
Sound: Objection

Oh, right, that.

So it is, Your Honor.

Sound: Gallery

So Gant has once again gotten everyone successfully talking about Edgeworth's shady reputation...

(You've got the wrong color, kid.)

Sound: Gavel

Music: Questioning - Allegro

It would seem...

the inquiry committee will want to speak with you again today.

For now, let us continue with the cross-examination.

At the time of the crime, the detective had used his card!

Sound: Wipe

Yes, sir! He didn't show me any ID card, sir!
Sound: Whack

Don't you think that's odd?

I mean, if he had his ID card,

all he had to do was show it to you.

Even Meekins could probably tell the mystery man wasn't Detective Goodman if he was able to closely look at Goodman's ID and then the man's face. So showing the ID wasn't an option.

M-maybe he just panicked?

It's pretty clear we're expected to point out that anyone could have used Goodman's ID, not just Goodman himself.

We know Goodman lost something. What if it was his ID?

Sound: Desk Slam

Wait one moment, Officer Meekins.

I-I'm not good at waiting, sir!
Sound: Stab

I found it at the crime scene.

That makes sense.

When I say, "crime scene,"

I mean the "other" crime scene...

Music: Investigation - Core

Your Honor...

I have one more piece of evidence to present.

A... Lost Item Report?

It's only half completed.

As usual when two pieces of evidence are brought up in the post-objection dialogue, either one would have been valid for presenting. The ID card makes more sense with the subsequent lines, since it's brought up first, but the lost item report is more crucial to our alternative theory of the video. An interesting game mechanic would be requiring us to present both pieces of evidence simultaneously, though I suppose it would be too difficult for the player that way.

We can now properly interpret the half-filled out report. Note how Goodman scribbled out part of his ID? Seems like he couldn't remember his ID number, and no longer had his ID card to reference to look it up!

Something important enough to fill out this report.

I can't say for sure...

but there is a high probability!

That statement is just about the only thing I know for sure right now. At 5:14 PM, the ID was at the evidence room, used to access it by the murderer. At the same time, Goodman was being stabbed and/or discovered in the parking garage, a 30 minute drive away. So I am positive that Goodman did not have his ID at the time. However... someone did bring it back to the parking garage at some point, since that location is where we found the thing in the first place!

Order! Order! So now...

what does this all mean?

Our timeline is a little more clear now I think. At 4:20 PM, our killer entered the evidence room with Detective Goodman, got the detective to open his locker, and then killed him and staged his locker to be propped open. They then stuffed Goodman into Edgeworth's trunk, while Edgeworth was running an errand in the same evidence room for Gant. After Edgeworth drove away, the killer then went back into the evidence room to stage a video intended to look like Goodman was still alive at the time. But... why? I don't even have a motive on why Goodman would have been murdered, let alone why the elaborate setup to make it look like he got murdered twice.

Sound: Gavel x 3

Order! Order! Order!

Does the prosecution have a response?

Cue Phoenix realizing he just proved his client guilty.

...?

Bravo, Mr. Wright.

B-bravo...?
Sound: Light Bulb

At 5:15 PM on the day of the crime,

Music: Logic and Trick

There are two grounds to support this.

Second, the victim lost his ID card.

Yes... (What's he up to?)

If the "victim" in this video is a fake...

then the murder in the evidence room is also fake!

At least, this tape doesn't. I'm more interested in a tape of Goodman accessing the locker earlier in the day, when it was propped open.

Uh... Th-that is...

Well, I guess that's right...

Is something wrong, Mr. Wright?

This isn't going to end well...

Music: Suspense

Well, well...

It seems you've finally realized...

Explain yourself, Mr. Edgeworth!

The defense has already done the explaining for me.

at the Police Department at 5:15 on the day of the crime.

So...

So the real crime could only take place at one location: the underground parking lot

The evidence is compelling!

:sigh: Congratulations, game, you wasted the entire first half of the trial day on a "trap" that anyone with any logical sense could've seen coming miles away. I was hoping this trial segment would lead somewhere else actually productive, but no. loving dammit, this episode has no respect for the player's time, it's just interested in padding length to justify a DLC price tag. A much better use of the same narrative I came up with in 20 seconds: Flip the trial gameplay around and have us play as Edgeworth for this trial morning. Wasted opportunity.

Sound: Stab 2

Instead, Phoenix just looks loving stupid for being blindsided this way.

"Can you believe it? The prosecutor made the idiot defense attorney prove his case for him!"

(I knew that testimony was way too shabby.)

And where did this person disappear to...?

However...

Just so, Your Honor.

Mr. Wright! You have to do something, or else Lana...

Phoenix your participation has just been detrimental today, why don't you sit down.

(I'd better pace myself. If I rush ahead,)

That was the slowest-closing trap I've ever seen. I don't think rushing ahead was your problem.

But Mr. Wright! If you don't do anything...

The surrender flag has been raised.

!

quote:

If we choose to object instead, we just skip ahead...

One moment, Your Honor!

What now, Mr. Wright?

Of course not.

...Almost?

What are you talking about?

This cross-examination has proven one thing and one thing only.

We get shown the fight between Meekins and the mystery man again.

For some reason the game shows the entire remaining portion of the video.

We see the evidence room again, as it was when we investigated it.

The bloody handprint fades in. Was all the blood in the evidence room from Meekins and the mystery man? Or did something else happen in that room?

Well at least Phoenix finally stood up for himself.

Mr. Edgeworth.

Yes, Your Honor?

Is the prosecution prepared?

I'm sorry, Your Honor...

We have not prepared any other witnesses for this incident.

Yes! And he's even relevant, since he was supposedly in charge of the guard station leading to the evidence room.

Mr. Wright...

Do you mean...

Your Honor.

Oh?

Whom do you have in mind?

Someone we have reason to believe knows the truth...

The prosecution requests to hear this person's name

before deciding whether or not to comply.

Very well, then. Mr. Wright!

What is his or her name?

While I like this mechanic for specifying an individual, it's kind of wasted here when Phoenix already mentioned calling on a certain "Texas ranger."

Why him?

(I can't let Edgeworth know everything just yet...)

I am mildly impressed that Phoenix didn't just blurt out "because we found his bloody handprint in there!"

The prosecution agrees to the defense's request.

Fortunately he works in the Police Department.

We shouldn't need longer than 20 minutes to prepare.

Fortunately? Where else would the person who oversees the evidence room in the Police Department be working?

quote:

No other option results in anything interesting happening:

Mr. Wright, I'm not even going to bother asking you why.

I've never seen a more obvious stall tactic in my entire career!

Mr. Wright! Don't you remember what you said this morning!?

You know, about your "trump card"?

(That's right! Those bloody fingerprints we found in the evidence room...)

(Now's my chance to bring him in to testify!)

Very well, then. Mr. Wright!

This person whom you would have testify...

What is his or her name?

We can try again as many times as we like; we still haven't faced a penalty today, other than the standard ones for mis-presenting evidence during crosses.

Very well.

Will the prosecution please prepare the witness during this time?

We will, Your Honor.

Court is now in recess!

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

I get the feeling Lana isn't too happy with our actually making progress on this case.

Huh? What do you mean?

You called for Jake Marshall.

Uh... (I haven't figured anything out...)

Lana...

If Lana thinks we've figured everything out, she clearly wasn't watching the first 80% of trial this morning.

Ema...

I don't often get to see Ema's two angry-face sprites in one animation. These two sprites, in order, are:

I...

I don't recall ever asking for his "protection."

How can you be so cold...

Sound: Door Opens

Gumshoe with impeccable timing as always.

Gumshoe fades out...

Wait! Detective Gumshoe! What is it?

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

And he's back with his sad face.

You've got a lot of nerve, pal! Making a detective run all around while on duty,

I don't remember calling him here.

Sorry, Detective.

You better be, pal...

Hey...

Sound: Light Bulb x 3

I think Gumshoe's having a seizure.

I-I didn't see you there, Chief Prosecutor Skye!

Music: Dick Gumshoe - Detective Gumshoe, Pal

Lana is scheming, but I'll allow it because we get to hear Gumshoe's awesome music for it.

Sound: Light Bulb x 4

...I think Gumshoe has a crush on Lana? That's the only explanation I have for that weird reaction.

You mean this, right!?

My apologies, Detective. Due to my present circumstances,

Now what do you have there?

My name!?

Never in a million years would I have thought it was you who asked me,

"I'll need them by noon."

Talk about crazy...

The "SL-9 Incident"?

But Lana! That's...

How oddly helpful of you.

Here. You might do well to read them.

Ms. Skye... was a witness?

Sound: Select Jingle

Finally! I was thinking we wouldn't get this information until the last investigation sequence.

Maybe not, but we seem to be involved regardless.

Let's dive right in, shall we?

Well we have the name our executed supposed-perpetrator at least. I think we knew the case was a serial murder, though I'm having trouble remembering when exactly we learned what information at this point.

One name stands out on the victim list - could Neil Marshall be related to our favorite cowboy detective?

...Ema, you bitch! You've been holding out on us again!!

Well this page explains why it seems like everyone led this case. Multiple layers of leadership here. Unfortunately this page is the last; no real details or evidence about the murders themselves.

E-Ema!? But why...

What? My name's in there!?

I don't know...

Unless...

That's the classification number the police filed it under.

Okay, Ema, you're off the hook. I never thought about the case number not really being well-known back then. And the game carefully hid any details of the case from us so that Ema wouldn't recognize it sooner.

The... Joe Darke... No... No, Lana!

Sound: Door Opens

Dammit now I just feel bad.

Ema, wait! (She ran away...)

Sorry pal, but I'm outta here!

Gumshoe you coward, get back here!

(Not to mention Lana and Ema...)

This can't be just a "coincidence."

Time to get back to the trial, Mr. Wright. Best of luck.

(I'd better take a good look at this file...)

Halfway done with the second day of trial...

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

I'm not sure if that trial segment was just a lot shorter than the marathon with Angel Starr, or if I was rushing through it to get past Meekins and his awful sound effect. Maybe a little of both? At least we know what we're facing next: A confrontation with former Detective Jake Marshall.

DKII fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 28, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

At least we know what we're facing next: A confrontation with former Detective Jake Marshall.

"This courtroom ain't big enough for the two of us."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Finally it feels like we're making some progress. And Meekins is GONE FOREVER(?)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, much as interacting with Meekins and actively undermining your client both suck, I don't think this half of the trial is a waste of time. The video tape is a fun piece of evidence to mess around with, and we're actually uncovering details of what happened in the evidence room along the way.

I feel like it could be fixed, by making Meekins less annoying, and at the very least having Phoenix be aware of what he's doing, and either electing to soldier on or giving Edgeworth a more active role or something.

The Starr witness testimony lasted for way longer and was a complete waste of time. The only thing we learned that we hadn't been told before she took the stand was that Lana had said the word "muffler" at some point, which invited Gant to roll in and troll the poo poo out of Edgeworth. They could've cut pretty much all of Angel's testimony and it wouldn't have cost us anything.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For all that Nick can be a moron sometimes and seriously how did you not spot the problem from the start Nick, we did get one hard piece of information here: the ID card was not with Goodman's body when it was discovered but it was being used at the police station. And yet it was found near Edgeworth's car, at the scene of Goodman's murder.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still maintain that Meekins didn't seem all that bad when he first showed up. Now, Meekins here? Absolutely as bad as everyone in-game made him out to be on that first day.

DKII posted:

Uh... (I haven't figured anything out...)

Ace Attorney in a nutshell.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Meekins the very first time he shows up is fine since he's just delivering a report to Edgeworth. After that he shows up with his megaphone and that sounds haunts your dreams even 10 years later.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I am being constantly reminded just how much of this case I'd forgotten about. But I never forgot how much I resented it for wasting so much time to say so little.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That megaphone sound is pretty rad, I made it my new ringtone

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 141: Episode 5, Day 3, Trial Latter: Desperado

We're back in court, with a big hammer to use to nail a certain cowboy.

"Thank goodness; that idiot with the megaphone is gone!"

Music: Trial

(Ema didn't come back...)

Now seems like a good time for a quick distraction. As we've seen at other times in the game, a change in companions tends to change some of the background dialogue. We're not in an investiation sequence, so we can't look around the environment to see what's changed without Ema's commentary. However we can still use the first ability Ema granted to us in this episode - examining evidence!

I'll be as brief as possible here...

A number is engraved on the back of the badge.

I wish they'd put my name on it instead...

His name and ID number is written on it.

"Sergeant Bruce Goodman, ID# 5842189"

quote:

Original line referred to the man as "Detective Bruce Goodman." However in the image you can just make out that it says "Sergeant" there at the top.

"King of Prosecutors." The names of past recipients are etched on the plate.

Manfred von Karma's name appears here too... How ironic.

The victim Bruce Goodman's blood still remains on the blade.

I wonder if Edgeworth got this knife because the handle matches his clothes...?

"Miles Edgeworth - 17:12"...

It's dated the day of the murder.

Come to think of it, I don't have a strap on my mobile phone at all.

I hate having useless things dangling off it.

The redial button. It dials the number of the last person called.

The last call was to Ema. I wonder what they spoke about...?

I was hoping Phoenix would actually call Ema and try to get her to come back.

Blood is splattered over the white enamel surface.

It must be Lana's blood, from the cut on her right hand she now has bandaged.

These blood traces are from Bruce Goodman, the victim.

He must have tried to run after he was stabbed.

"SL-9" is written on a small tag attached to the knife.

It was the weapon used in that incident two years ago; and has known many victims.

So Joe Darke used the same knife on each victim?

Ema Skye is written on the side in permanent marker.

She seems awfully possessive about a can of luminol.

"AI-16" is written on the tag.

That means it has nothing to do with the current case.

"SL-9 11" is written on the tag.

It seems this is more evidence from that incident.

There's a trace of old blood on this jar.

This was evidence in the SL-9 Incident...

The blood must be from back then.

The jar has no bottom, so the hole goes right through.

I wonder if it's really a jar, or some kind of weird telescope...?

And with that, we conclude our mid-episode evidence review. With 25 pieces of evidence in the court record now, I'm having a hard time keeping track of it all. For now, let's get back to the trial.

the officer in charge of guarding the evidence room on the day of the crime.

There's our guy. Still getting sloshed on the clock.

Witness, please state your name and occupation.

Music: Jake Marshall ~ The Detective from the Wild West

I feel a little mischievous, inflicting this witness on Edgeworth.

To be exact, it's Jake Marshall... Your Honor.

I'm disappointed in Edgeworth's lack of outrage at Marshall's behavior. I guess Edgeworth isn't really looking to get anything out of this witness, so doesn't care if he's being difficult here.

Now, Mr. Marshall. Let me ask you something.

Is this correct?

According to the papers, pardner.

What do you mean?

Maybe it's best we get on with this quickly.

in plain old English!

But Marshall is speaking an "old" variant of English!

Sound: Testimony 2

Music: Questioning - Moderato

My job was to keep a wary eye on that bone orchard.

Besides, the room's protected by two security systems, anyway.

Wouldn't a bone orchard be a better reference for a graveyard? Or maybe a morgue? Doesn't seem to fit an evidence room as well. Maybe he's just referring to someone supposedly dying in there?

I can't say I particularly care for your attitude...

Jake Marshall has the opposite attitude towards the court as Angel Starr. Instead of bribing the judge, he's just disdainful of the entire process.

Wait a minute...

I mean the security cameras and the ID card reader.

I reckon even a cowpoke like you knows about those.

Fingerprint activated locks?

What kind of new-fangled doohickeys are those?

(He's not being very helpful...)

This one seems like trouble.

Okay Mr. Wright, he's all yours.

(Before I use it though, I'd better up the ante...)

I'm guessing Phoenix means we need to press here before presenting anything? I'm pretty sure we can just shoot to kill from the very start, but let's play this out.

My job was to keep a wary eye on that bone orchard.

How exactly did you "keep an eye" on the evidence room?

I just made sure nothing moved in the security camera monitor. That room's so still,

You "interred" them?

Videos of nothing aren't that useful. When the time would come, I'd erase the tape.

What an awful job. Watching an empty room all day, then deleting the recording after making sure that nothing really happened in them.

(This guy has a flare for the dramatic, but it isn't going to do him any good.)

They said I was supposed to make rounds three times a day, but that ain't my style.

But you made your rounds on the day of the crime, right?

Ain't you heard a word I said, pardner?

Um, I'm afraid I don't understand.

(No desperados I know join the police force...)

So, Officer Marshall. On the day of the crime...?

The judge being oddly pro-active here.

Sorry pardner, can't say I do.

(How does this guy avoid being fired...?)

Besides, the room's protected by two security systems, anyway.

Of course. Back in the day my locker was a goldmine of evidence!

Sorry, pardner, I ain't good with machines.

I couldn't even tell you how a bike works.

That's quite, uh... incredible.

It's well known that some detectives are unaware of their presence.

At any rate, it doesn't seem that this is relevant to the crime.

If I remember right, I was at a street-side saloon at the time it went down.

What were you doing in a place like that?

I was eating spaghetti.

Do you mean to tell us...

Sound: Damage 2

Not all desperados eat tacos, pardner.

(That's strange...)

(This is usually where Edgeworth says,)

Edgeworth knows exactly what Marshall is all about already.

I'm just an innocent travelin' man, so if you're out of ammo it's time I hit the trail.

Out of "ammo," officer Marshall?

If you plan to pin me to this crime, then you'd better draw.

Otherwise, you're just wastin' my time.

Hmm...

One thing seems clear.

Despite being responsible for guarding the evidence room,

the witness doesn't appear to have seen anything.

(Apparently your superious don't...)

Well, we're out of testimony. So, what to present here? We're pretty early in the update, so I'll give you all this one for free.

That last press and the end-of-testimony hints from Phoenix's musing are both signs to just use our trump card straight away. Either of the last two lines will work here.

Officer Marshall. Doesn't it strike you as odd?

That is, you being called in to testify like this?

And yet you dragged me down here.

Explain yourself, pardner.

It's quite simple.

Or, to be exact...

a handprint.

Hmph! Listen real good, pardner.

Like I said, I'm the caretaker of that crypt.

I pay my respects... that is, make my rounds, about once a month.

I only wish it were, Officer,

but you see...

Witness! What's the meaning of this!?

The blood was wiped away. However!

Well, Officer Marshall?

It seems to me...

!

I take it you have an explanation then, Officer Marshall?

found at the scene of the crime!

One of them just happened to be at the same place as the bloodstained handprint.

The bloodstain and the fingerprint are completely unrelated.

See? I had nothing to do with it.

I'm wondering how Marshall knew the murderer wore gloves, but otherwise kind of stumped on this one. Hopefully pressing reveals something.

Hmm...

The witness's explanation appears valid,

although there's room for doubt.

The defense may now cross-examine the witness.

(This guy's hiding something, I can feel it!)

(I can't let him squirm out of this one.)

(I've got to find something,)

Okay... let's find... something.

Like I said, it's only natural for my fingerprints to be in that evidence room.

How long do fingerprints stick around on a surface, anyway? I guess in a place like the evidence room that's kept pretty sterile and not disturbed very often, they could still be found a long time later?

Yeah, that's right. That, and one more thing...

I'd thought that might be the case. But does that fact actually help him or hurt him?

What!? What do you mean?

I mean what I said.

We flashback-zoom across the evidence room once again. Reminds me of the camera panning back and forth in that video.

All that's in there now though is a heap of broken dreams.

I see...

As someone who struggled with the fingerprinting mini-game, I suppose I can't really say that the location of the print we pulled is definitively from the bloody handprint rather than any other time Marshall may have touched his locker.

(Apparently his fingerprint data was never removed from that locker's programming.)

Sound: Select Jingle

Our "trump card" has been updated with relevant new information.

One of them just happened to be at the same place as the bloodstained handprint.

Wasn't mine. It's no mystery.

Please explain.

It just so happened...

The murderer touched the locker where my fingerprint was by chance.

The chances of that happening are a million to one!

I don't know, how often would you really touch the outside door of a locker that you just open by pulling on the handle?

The chances of that not happening are a million to one!

Get one thing straight, pardner!

You wanna know why?

The bloodstain and the fingerprint are completely unrelated.

Unrelated?

They're as different as night and day.

Kinda like "cereal" and "serial."

Is that a subtle SL-9 reference?

He's right...

although seemingly alike, they're totally different.

Or didn't you know the murderer was wearing gloves?

How do you know that!?

(Oh yeah, I think we tried that too.)

Hmm...

So that would mean...

the murderer, wearing gloves,

And then wiped away the blood. All while not disturbing Marshall's latent print.

That's the only logical conclusion.

Once we've pressed on both the first and last lines of testimony (in either order), we get a new scene.

The picture...?

!

We're back to the video...

(The security tape...)

Well. There was one more odd thing on that tape. Can we use it to prove that Marshall was in there?

This isn't getting us anywhere, Mr. Wright.

Y-yes, Your Honor.

While it doesn't seem like much happened there...

We do get a new statement that directly references the video. Unfortunately, directly presenting the video here doesn't actually work. We need to press a little harder first.

What do you mean by that?

Blind spots?

Places you can't see!

they could leave the room without being caught on tape!

For some reason the start of the video is shown twice here.

We don't have time for your speculations, Mr. Wright.

Well, Mr. Wright.

If you can show us evidence in this video that indicates

Well, obviously we're doing it.

Very well.

quote:

If you back off here instead:

(I might be walking right into Officer Marshall's trap.)

(I'd better try and find out a little more information.)

It seems we should be moving back to the testimony.

Very well.

Officer Marshall, can you please give your testimony again?

We go back to the cross from here. But what's interesting about that line, is it gives the game an actual narrative explanation for the structure of the crosses. They literally are what they appear to be - the witness repeating their testimony word-for-word.

Now then, let's have another look at the video.

We're back at the video, and we have a penalty attached this time! I'll do you all a favor and provide another link to the video for your perusal. Watch it while keeping in mind the new information we've gained this update, and tell me, which video segment contains the contradiction?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Say what you will about Marshall and this trial day, he dares you to pull out your most damning evidence in his first testimony, and then guides you straight to the video afterwards. Finally a witness who doesn't waste your time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Blue Badger staring into the camera as someone is violently assaulted is some kind of surrealist horror.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The Blue Badger staring into the camera as someone is violently assaulted is some kind of surrealist horror.

David Lynch's Phoenix Wright

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018

DKII posted:

Wouldn't a bone orchard be a better reference for a graveyard? Or maybe a morgue? Doesn't seem to fit an evidence room as well. Maybe he's just referring to someone supposedly dying in there?

The evidence room seems to be mostly used for anything related to closed cases, left to gather dust until the day of evidence transferal when they're removed to be more permanently disposed of. Given that, as well as Marshall's own sour view on his current job, comparing the place to a graveyard probably seems fitting (though I hadn't considered the whole "recent murder" thing that might be playing on Marshall's mind at the moment).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's also been stated that every case in there involves extreme violence against Marshall's coworkers and colleagues. That would definitely add to the morose attitude he has towards it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
As a Texan, yeah, we have issues taking orders. But every Texas authority figure I’ve ever known had ways of making you agree with their position too. :)

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 142: Episode 5, Day 3, Trial Latter: Fingerprint Lock

Looks like everyone spotted this one. Now, what could possibly be in that last video segment, after panning away from an unconscious Meekins?

Music: The Blue Badger ~ I Want to Protect You

Let's go back to the start of the video. We can see Marshall's locker here. Unlit, unblemished. In fact, you can see Marshall's locker five separate times in this video, and the first four of those all look the same.

That fifth time, however... Why, where did that cloth come from!?

Bringing our attention back to the security camera...

The days are short in Texas... and so are our tempers.

Very well.

The logic here is straightforward - the locker was not open and the cloth was not present at the start of the video. So the only way the cloth could be sticking out at the end of the video, is if Marshall at some point opened the locker during the video, while the camera was pointing away from it!

quote:

Nothing else in the video works here:

There! How's that for evidence!?

Please allow me to apologize for my colleague, Your Honor.

He gets carried away sometimes.

Yes, well, this certainly isn't a first.

Will you forgive him too, Officer Marshall?

He's not a bad man, just a bit... disillusioned.

Of course. I'm not one to gun down unarmed boys.

(Oh great, now Edgeworth is defending me. Guess that means I missed the mark.)

That sound is Phoenix giving himself the penalty, I guess?

Very well, let's get back to the cross-examination.

Just like that, we're brought back to the start of the cross. We have to present on that last line again to get back to where we were.

quote:

Now, there were two other times a couple updates ago where we were presenting within the video, and could have pointed out the cloth sticking out of Marshall's locker at either of those points. The first time nothing special happens; we just get a generic failure. But the second time, we get a similar scene about needing to find the relevant interesting point in the video.

The thing that's strange about this video...

has got to be this!

Oh yes, that! I found that quite disturbing myself!

Such sloppiness should not be accepted in any law enforcement agency!

Uh, no Your Honor. That's not exactly what I meant...

It seems yet again you've lost sight of the problem at hand.

What?

The reason the locker was not locked.

That is the one and only thing you must point out here, Mr. Wright.

Whew... It seems I almost walked right into the defense's trap again!

Now I'll REALLY place him under arrest, sir!

(I've got to stay focused on that locking mechanism.)

Very well. Let's inspect the video once more.

The rest of the scene is the same as what we saw going into examining the video for the second time, again without giving us any options on going back to the cross. I do like how this scene seems to assume that the player also presented the glove at the wrong time earlier.

Music: Objection!

The key...

lies in a certain locker shown in the video.

quote:

Original line: "See this locker that has a white cloth sticking out? This is the witness's locker." Doesn't make any sense for the judge to be saying it like that. Maybe the translators originally thought it was Phoenix's line?

Now then, let's rewind the video a bit.

The video rewinds a full panning sequence that I will forego showing you directly...

What's the meaning of this, Officer Marshall!?

When the crime took place... The white cloth wasn't there.

Then... it suddenly appeared! There's only one explanation:

We've got the crowd buzzing again...

Order! Order!

It would seem that's the only-

So what if my locker was opened?

Sound: Gunshot 4

...This poor fool really doesn't understand what the fingerprint sensors mean, does he?

It's not my fault he happened to choose mine!

I love that absolutely everyone in the room understands what's going on here except him.

(He really doesn't know!)

Music: Objection!

Uh, I hate to rain on your parade,

Oh yeah? I call your bluff.

You say I opened that locker...

Now prove it!

Another freebie as far as I'm concerned.

Marshall wasn't paying any attention when this topic was discussed twice while he was on the stand already, I guess?

We talked about this earlier today.

W-what kinda crazy talk is this!?

(Well, Detective Gumshoe did mention something about this...)

There are even some people on the force that don't know about the fingerprint locks!

We already referenced that comment from Gumshoe earlier, too. I wonder if the writers of this scene didn't realize that?

So, Sheriff!

quote:

I truly pity you if you got this one wrong. But let's say we present our badge instead...

You can talk the talk alright, but you got a long ways to go before you can walk the walk!

Mr. Wright... I think even I could prove this one.

We deserve multiple penalties for that one, but the game is kind and only gives us one.

S-sorry, Your Honor...

(If that's Officer Marshall's locker...)

(Then only he can open it. I should know this!)

Come on, pardner.

A revolver only holds five bullets. The question is, how many you got left?

An interesting reference to us getting a guilty verdict after five penalties? Most revolvers hold six bullets (thus why they were called six-shooters), though it seems some models did hold five.

You say I opened that locker...

Now prove it!

All right, enough fooling around, let's get this one right and move on.

Looks like Marshall is about to snap...

I only got one word for you, pardner.

Sound: Guilty

Well that meltdown was easier to get than I thought it would be.

Sound: Gavel x 3

Order! Order! Order!

Witness! Explain yourself!

I assure you this is no joke, Officer Marshall.

I didn't need to show that whole animation again, but I really enjoy it. I was starting to like Marshall yesterday, but it's really satisfying taking him down.

Olé! Please answer the question!

(What is he now, a bullfighter?)

That's alright, Officer Marshall.

We can?

Have a look at these floor plans.

I suppose we have to formally declare that Marshall was the mystery man in the video. What's the alternative - that he watched the confrontation between Meekins and the mystery man on the monitor in the guard station, then quietly snuck in to stuff a cloth in his locker? Wait, that doesn't work either; there wasn't another entry on the ID card record.

Meekins is still the "K"iller in this drawing I suppose.

If that's so, then...

where was the witness?

(That's right. The only possible conclusion!)

Well then? Let's hear it.

Another penalty here. Not a difficult question, though.

If Meekins is the "K", and he would have seen anyone else in the room, than Marshall must have been here. Disguised as Detective Goodman.

Officer Marshall was standing right here!

There? But that's...

Correct... unless the man wasn't Detective Goodman.

I believe the "victim" in the video is... Officer Marshall!

quote:

No interesting answers anywhere else in the floor plan, they all get the same generic failure:

Officer Marshall was standing right here!

Hmm...

So Officer Meekins didn't notice him standing there...

That's almost as credible as Meekins's warp theory.

Now I wonder what I missed in Meekins's testimony that involved warp theory.

Your chamber's empty, pardner. Better reload.

There's that penalty...

(Now they're ganging up on me!)

Perhaps...

you should think a little more about where Officer Marshall was.

(Officer Meekins should have seen him in the evidence room.)

(That means the only place he could have been would be...)

Well then? Let's hear it.

Where was Officer Marshall at the time of the crime?

We're brought back to the floor plan to try again. I suppose I could see someone getting stuck here if they are overthinking the problem instead of making the connection; hopefully that last hint from Phoenix helps them in that case.

Music: Telling the Truth

Oh, please. Meekins already said he didn't know Goodman and he never saw the mystery man's face. And then Meekins got knifed before he could check the man's ID.

Once he saw the man's face, he'd know for sure!

He also testified about the man's reaction when confronted.

He suddenly pulled a knife on me!
Sound: Ween

Dammit, one last ear-blowing screech for the road I guess.

Something about the officer's story puzzled me.

If the man had had his ID card, why didn't he just show it?

The answer is simple.

He couldn't show it.

!

Oh, I get it.

If he showed that, his cover would have been blown!

Do you have anything to say to this, Officer Marshall?

You've got quite an imagination, pardner.

While interesting... does anything about this event actually have anything to do with the murder of Detective Goodman?

Circumstantial evidence...? (He's still denying it!)

You're gonna have to do better than that to break a detective.

Hmm...

I can't say I particularly care for your uncooperative disposition...

Ha, second time for that comeback.

Well, Mr. Wright? Do you have any evidence proving beyond a shadow of a doubt

Uh, no? I kind of thought what we had was proof enough, really.

Well...

(Who am I kidding? I don't have anything like that...)

I can see the fear in your eyes, pardner.

Ack! (This can't be happening!)

(It's so obvious he's the one! What can I do...?)

I guess Edgeworth is going to cover this one.

!

I'll pass onto you what someone told me when I was just starting out.

The basics...

Points for using a flashback in the proper context without any mysticism.

Despite the dramatic music, I still have no idea what Phoenix is talking about here.

I assume he was dumping off Goodman's coat so no one asked him why he was wandering around dressed like a dead detective. But that's not exactly proof of anything.

What do you mean?

There's no reason for Officer Marshall to open his locker at the time of the crime.

Maybe the evidence room should log locker openings instead of room openings.

(Which means he didn't originally plan to open his locker...!)

Based on what? How would events have unfolded differently if he had planned to open his locker?

According to the defense's argument,

Then, after the crime was "committed,"

he opened it in order to put the cloth inside.

So...

just what exactly is this piece of cloth?

Perhaps...

At first I thought the cloth was just a rag he used to wipe off the bloody handprint, after he stumbled into his locker or something. But now it seems more likely that it was the coat he was wearing.

The video, again?

Fair enough.

Very well.

Let's take yet another look at the security tape.

Please show us why the witness had to open his locker!

Another penalty attached to this decision.

Let's keep a close eye on Marshall through this video, and on the jacket he's wearing in particular.

Nothing so far...

Still looks ordinary...

Aha! Meekins's blood is all over the shoulder of that jacket. Marshall could probably explain away wearing a decidedly non-western outfit, if anyone even noticed he was the one wearing it. But walking around with that much blood on him would be a lot harder to get away with in a crowded police station.

Could Marshall have knocked out Meekins, snuck past the camera, removed the jacket, and stuffed it into his locker in the 15 seconds it took the camera to point back at the locker? Kind of a stretch, but I'll say it's at least plausible. We never see a bloody handprint on Marshall's locker, either, so he apparently wiped it down at the same time? For that matter, we never see a bloody handprint on Gumshoe's locker, but I think the dancing Blue Badger is blocking our view of it the whole time. (And neither Meekins nor Marshall noticed it was there? Or did it get put there later?) Anyway, let's go present the bloodstain on the jacket shoulder from the prior image.

For some reason, you disguised yourself as Detective Goodman,

"Yet"?

However, something unexpected happened.

When asked to show your ID card, you pulled a knife on him.

However!

A bloody white coat...

You couldn't just walk out like that,

quote:

No interesting wrong answers here:

Well, what do you have to say to that!?

Alright, pardner.

You really want to know the reason I had to open my locker?

Why?

So I could stuff you in there!

Huh!?

I'm sure the world would be a better place with you sent off to the boneyard.

Unfortunately unsolved cases can't be stored in the evidence room.

(Now I'm an "unsolved case"?)

I guess Phoenix gives himself the penalty on that one.

(Something went wrong in that evidence room...)

(That's why Marshall had to open his locker.)

(The unexpected event itself is the reason!)

(I'd better have another crack at this...)

According to the defense's argument,

From here we get the same lines from everyone as before, leading back into the video.

Now then, Officer Marshall.

Are you ready to tell us the truth?

Looks like I underestimated y'all.

Two years ago...

we all wouldn't have to be here now, now would we?

Officer Marshall!

Tell the court what you did... All of it.

Alright.

Next time: Marshall's confession.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
This is back during one of Meekins' testimonies an update or two back, but you have Phoenix saying "all he had ot do was show it to you.", if that sort of thing bugs you.

Otherwise, been lurking the LP for awhile, keep up the good work! (I really need to replay these games soon, and also maybe get around to finishing Great Ace Attorney.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can definitely picture Marshall tuning out when the fingerprint locks get brought up. He doesn't necessarily seem like a bad cop, but one who has given up, absolutely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I'm kind of wondering how Detective Goodman was supposed to have been "murdered" here. His body was at the parking lot.

Maybe this is all just a big gag on Edgeworth, but are they really asserting that Meekins killed Goodman and teleported his body across the city?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You know, I'm kind of wondering how Detective Goodman was supposed to have been "murdered" here. His body was at the parking lot.

Maybe this is all just a big gag on Edgeworth, but are they really asserting that Meekins killed Goodman and teleported his body across the city?
That does sound like a problem for whichever prosecutor is going to be running Meekins's case.

The prosecution's theory in ours has always been that Lana Skye is the only possible culprit, as demonstrated by the confession, the photo, the witness account and other evidence.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 28, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

That does sound like a problem for whichever prosecutor is going to be running Meekins's case.

The prosecution's theory in ours has always been that Lana Skye is the only possible culprit, as demonstrated by the confession, the photo, the witness account and other evidence.

Yeah, smug Edgeworth and despairing Nick coming in 1...2...3... as Marshal's stunt will be claimed to demonstrate that the murder took place in the prosecutor's office garage, just as was claimed before this testimony.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Grinnblade posted:

This is back during one of Meekins' testimonies an update or two back, but you have Phoenix saying "all he had ot do was show it to you.", if that sort of thing bugs you.

Otherwise, been lurking the LP for awhile, keep up the good work! (I really need to replay these games soon, and also maybe get around to finishing Great Ace Attorney.)

It does, fixed now, thanks!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Show the attorney badge

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

...! posted:

Show the attorney badge

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 143: Episode 5, Day 3, Trial Latter: Scientific Objection

I stole the detective's ID and dressed like him. I planned to take out the evidence.

and managed to escape. I knew which areas wouldn't be caught on the camera.

Well, that all seemed true enough (finally). I'm not sure what to present as a contradiction there.

So the supposed "victim" was really you...

But there's one thing I still don't understand.

If no one was murdered, then how could that be?

My guess is he's the donor.

Unless his hand was entirely severed, it seems unlikely for that type of wound to cause that big a blood pool.

Phoenix is in my head again.

quote:

Original line isn't as strong a statement: "(It looked like too much blood for that...)"

(I had a feeling we'd wind up here sooner or later...)

(I'd better take another look at the files.)

Seems like we'll be using the files here. Maybe the connection between Marshall and one of the victims? None of the lines really stand out for presenting, but maybe pressing will reveal something.

I had to do it that day. I couldn't just stand by and let it die.

When you say "it," you mean...

(The SL-9 Incident...)

Two years have passed since that case was closed.

Not if I have anything to do with it.

That incident's not over!

When a case is closed, only that case's lead detective can look through the evidence.

I wanted to have a look at it myself one more time...

No matter what the cost.

He didn't know about the fingerprint sensors. So did he just get stupidly lucky that the locker was stuck open? Or did someone know he was going in there and set him up?

(But Officer Marshall wasn't in charge of that investigation.)

(Why does he care so much about it?)

I stole the detective's ID and dressed like him. I planned to take out the evidence.

Why did you disguise yourself as Detective Goodman?

If I didn't make it look like Goodman was carrying out the evidence transferal...

Did he know that Goodman wasn't going to be able to complete the evidence transferal himself?

So you did it to fool the security camera.

And the detective's ID card?

I returned his ID card.

(The ID card I found was left there)

(by Officer Marshall!)

So essentially...

What do you mean... pardner?

I mean the fingerprint-activated lock, of course.

Under normal circumstances, you wouldn't have been able to open that locker yourself.

quote:

Another case where the new line has more punch to it. The original: "Normally, that locker shouldn't have opened."

quote:

Original line: "(So it opened because a rubber glove was stuck in the door by chance...?)"

Yeah, I'm still thinking he was killed in that room, just earlier in the day. How Edgeworth, Meekins, and Marshall all entered the room afterwards and didn't notice anything....

I wasn't expecting Officer Meekins. I knocked him out...

Let's just say I was a little surprised.

I didn't think anyone would actually come in during that short time.

I hope he's a one-in-this-series type of person, too.

Mistaking a detective for an intruder and demanding to be shown his ID...

(When did Edgeworth get so much influence...?)

Phoenix were you not paying attention to Edgeworth's similar comments to Gumshoe earlier in the game?

I'm sorry it had to turn out that way...

with me knocking him out and everything.

By the way, what happened to your knife?

This guy.

... (I don't know what to say...)

quote:

Original line: "Hmm... So, what happened next?" Doesn't transition as well into Marshall's next statement, does it?

and managed to escape. I knew which areas wouldn't be caught on the camera.

So you did your research beforehand.

I didn't think it would make a difference though. The security tape is erased every

However...

If someone was in the security room when I came out, the jig would have been up.

I opened my locker and stashed it in there.

What was Officer Meekins doing during that time?

So what you're saying is, on that day...

There wasn't any murder in the evidence room at 5:15.

What are you, blind?

So, you stole the evidence from the locker?

Actually...

no, I didn't.

Why not?

We're probably looking for someone else as the killer then. Someone else tied to SL-9, and looking to acquire the evidence to re-investigate it (maybe Angel Starr?). Or possibly complicit in it and looking to hide the evidence instead, after hearing that Goodman wanted to talk to Lana about it? Hey, there's my first inkling of a motive. Goodman found out something about the SL-9 Incident while reviewing the evidence one last time, something tied to someone else involved in the incident, and that someone silenced Goodman and took the evidence. Maybe even Goodman went to the evidence room to show that someone what they'd found and confront them. Everything else is just window dressing to frame Edgeworth and/or Lana. And this entire Marshall bit is either more obfuscation from the killer, or maybe just a random coincidence?

It's still missing, Your Honor.

(Detective Goodman's locker was already empty...)

Once we've pressed on all of Marshall's statments (in any order), we get a new scene.

Officer Marshall. May I ask you one thing?

Fire away, pardner. It's a free country.

Why did you do this?

Stealing a detective's ID, injuring a police officer...

This is no small offense!

Music: Recollection ~ The SL-9 Incident

This will have serious consequences.

It can't just be forgiven with a simple cut in salary.

Like I said.

And I'll do anything it takes to get an answer I'm satisfied with.

Hmm...

What if Goodman told everyone involved with the case what he'd found? That would explain Marshall's and Starr's sudden reinvigorated interest, too. In fact, it might also explain Lana's opposite reaction (not wanting us to look into this case), if she was trying to protect Ema from the traumatic reaction she had earlier.

We get a new line of testimony, and with it the next step is immediately obvious, but first let's press again. (Also, the music changed back to Moderato rather than Allegro; not sure if that was on purpose or not.)

But that case was solved two years ago, wasn't it?

Joe Darke was convicted for his crimes.

Maybe one of the victims was from a copycat instead?

I remember the Joe Darke case...

It involved serial murders, didn't it?

but there's something that still bothers me.

Something went down at that trial.

Something no one will talk about.

What happened?

(Why is he so concerned with that incident?)

If you didn't read the SL-9 files, despite getting multiple prompts to do so, then this one will be pretty hard to figure out. But really given the hints, even just blindly presenting the files without knowing why they're important is a reasonable guess.

We have a rather large evidence list, but haven't had to try too hard to figure out what to present at any point yet.

Officer Marshall. I think I understand.

I think I know why you care so much about the SL-9 Incident.

I have the SL-9 Incident file here.

!

In a list of murder victims.

Neil Marshall...?

Yeah, I'm sure you've heard the name.

Two years ago...

Hmm...

What!? A prosecutor...?

Now I remember...

Prosecutor Neil Marshall.

That's right. He was killed...

But what's his relation to you...?

We can now identify the mystery man in the lower-left as Neil Marshall.

We were desperate to prosecute the killer.

My brother fought Darke and was killed.

at least, according to the public records.

What do you mean?

I knew my brother better than anyone...

No one could have beaten him in a fight.

At least someone's calling out Jake Marshall on it. Still, though - if Darke didn't kill Neil Marshall, then someone else did. And that someone probably also killed Goodman to keep their crime buried?

There's more to my brother's death than what the records say.

Well...

at least one thing's for certain.

At 5:15 PM maybe.

That was the last day the SL-9 case could be reopened.

Edgeworth and Wright are tag-teaming again.

Yes, this mystery has finally been cleared up.

Not so fast Worthy! You're not pinning this all back on Lana that easily.

!

The things that happen by chance never cease to amaze...

this fake murder was going on at the Police Department.

Actually, if I'm right, both of the simultaneous murders that took place at 5:15 PM in the prologue are fake.

Speak up anytime, dude.

So if no one was murdered at the Police Department on the day of the crime,

Well, we still have the same problem that we had yesterday. There was almost no blood found in the parking garage, and we now know there was a huge pool of blood in the evidence room.

Which, in turn, means...

only one person could have committed the crime:

So, technically the whole latter half of trial day was a distraction, too? It felt a lot more productive and I'm not at all upset about it, though. We now know what did happen in the evidence room at 5:15 PM (as opposed to what didn't happen, as was the morning focus).

B-but wait! A verdict wasn't reached in yesterday's trial!

Lame, try again.

But...!

There's only one reason the defendant was not convicted yesterday:

It seems to me...

this boy's got the draw on you, pardner.

Our sole murder took place at the Prosecutor's Office! The only suspect is Lana Skye.

If you ignore the five-minute gap in what she saw, maybe.

quote:

Original lines were a little different, and not quite as accurate: "All the mysteries at the Police Department have been uncovered. No contradictions remain. The murder took place at the Prosecutor's Office! The only suspect is Lana Skye. There were no errors in the testimony of the witness, Angel Starr!"

If you have a response...

make it a single word or less.

Missed opportunity to yell the one-word "Objection!" there.

I rest my case.

Looks like our efforts to stall are all for naught. Good game, Edgeworth. Lana you should sue us for malpractice.

Music: Trial

Well done, Mr. Wright.

Thanks to you, I didn't need to waste my time...

(The apparent murder on the security camera's tape really was fake!)

(But I didn't realize...)

Come on, Phoenix, where's the last-second objection?

Close enough! Wait, that's not Phoenix...

Sound: Shock 2 x 3

Sound: Guilty

Y-Your Honor! Wait!

Ema!

Right?

What do you mean, "right?"

Mr. Wright.

Your Honor?

Oh, uh, in a sense...

Please hear me out!

Mr. Edgeworth, please...

You want a minute? I'll give you three.

I... I was kind of in shock.

(Now that she mentions it...)

...We know, Phoenix. You already pointed that out back in the lobby.

But that's when I figured it out.

I mean, what Officer Marshall was trying to do that day...

Well, thanks for telling us on your way out.

So they tested the blood on top of Goodman's shoe to show it was Lana's like, instantly. Why can't we test this blood to see if it's Goodman's just as quickly?

But no fingerprints were found on it, right?

Well, hit us with it already.

So I ran over there and looked at it again!

!

So did you find something?

:eng99:

Huh?

This whole trial day is just messing with me at this point.

Um...

Is that all?

Ema even Larry had more to give us when he interrupted the guilty verdict last episode, and he's a certified idiot.

(And I'm just an attorney...)

I should've kept a counter of the number of things that have been "the only clue we have."

If we can't find something wrong with them...

If anyone can save Lana, it's you!

Time's up.

Now then, Mr. Wright.

Does any reasonable doubt remain?

Um...

Is there a problem with this?

Mr. Wright!

I'm sorry I can't be of more use...

But still!

Please answer my question, Mr. Wright. We don't have all day.

Y-yes, Your Honor. (If ever I've needed to concentrate, it's now!)

I... don't see anything wrong with the handprint?

(Still...)

Bluff now, piece it together later, got it.

quote:

As expected, choosing to object from the beginning just skips the previous lines.

clearly

shows a contradiction!

You've been staring pretty intently at those floor plans.

(Yes, this is strange...!)

Take a good look at these floor plans.

Yes. Something that, when drawn,

Let us pray the defense isn't simply trying to buy time.

Very well, Mr. Wright!

(there's got to be something I can use!)

With 25 pieces of evidence, presenting them one by one would sure buy some time.

Before looking at the evidence, we have a couple of new profiles. First is the supposed perpetrator of the SL-9 Incident.

We also have Jake's brother Neil, a murdered prosecutor. Now, back to the action.

Well, it's probably not the Attorney's Badge, but I bet it'll get a few votes anyway. So, what's missing?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Clearly it's the screwdriver since Edgeworth stole it and brought it to court today to enjoy a drink over his victory.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DKII posted:

By the way, what happened to your knife?

This guy.

... (I don't know what to say...)

yesss

give this guy complete amnesty, and also a raise

Nuclear Kitten
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

Forget the murder, I want to know what's up with the knight in this photo. (I assume they're from a later game).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I regret Phoenix has never come up against the cowboy prosecutor.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

Spirit mediums are an integral part of the setting, there's nothing to say that he won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

achtungnight posted:

I would probably enjoy a prequel episode of Mia Fey vs Neil Marshall.