Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

There's also a portion who enjoy the cruelty of it. They know their opinions are abominable but consider that a plus. There's a business associate I've got (not a direct one, he just shows up at similar events) who takes the time every January to remind anyone within hearing that "We should call it James Earl Ray Day, because there wouldn't be a holiday if he hadn't shot that <slur> <slur> <slur> preacher." He does it with a poo poo-eating grin because he knows what he's saying is horrible and he enjoys making people uncomfortable/angry. (He's also widely hated even in my fairly conservative circle and just barely keeps from being thrown out because :decorum:.) The 4chan troll attitude exists in older generations, they just express it differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Tempest_56 posted:

There's also a portion who enjoy the cruelty of it. They know their opinions are abominable but consider that a plus. There's a business associate I've got (not a direct one, he just shows up at similar events) who takes the time every January to remind anyone within hearing that "We should call it James Earl Ray Day, because there wouldn't be a holiday if he hadn't shot that <slur> <slur> <slur> preacher." He does it with a poo poo-eating grin because he knows what he's saying is horrible and he enjoys making people uncomfortable/angry. (He's also widely hated even in my fairly conservative circle and just barely keeps from being thrown out because :decorum:.) The 4chan troll attitude exists in older generations, they just express it differently.

People like this should be recorded, named and shamed on Twitter. Now I'm not expecting anything to actually come of it, but it's a chance to make the rear end in a top hat and his supporters feel just as uncomfortable as they make everyone else. It forces other sympathetic people to have to twist themselves into a pretzel to simultaneously defend him while not condoning what he said. Cancel culture him!

The Islamic Shock posted:

They assume the Secret Liberal Truth is we all know racism etc. are the correct natural order and we're being disingenuous or mentally ill by saying we want better things for everyone. And of course anything we do, they are justified in doing. From their point of view who gives a poo poo, they're talking to someone whose entire political identity is saying lunatic things they don't mean. Of course responding in kind doesn't count.

Edit: also there's contrarians who don't actually have a real political opinion about anything, or if they do it's unknowable. At best, they have a long rear end list of things they're sincerely against and nothing they're for. Every opinion stated is calculated to piss you off and that's about it. The Ann Coulters of the world.
I see a lot of anecdotes that are a variation of "My liberal cousin/niece/he-she freak of a roommate/etc said [liberal talking poin] and I replied with [thought terminating conservative talking point] and they were totally owned during dinner haha."

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As somebody who is a tasteless manual labourer and gets most groceries from walmart, the freakout about Obama's mustard choice is especially funny bc here's the mustard we use back home

only the finest and fanciest

this bad bitch costs nearly 2 dollars last I checked
From a couple of days back, but my favourite thing about the mustard freakout was that the French don't grow much of their own mustard seed. Pretty much all the mustard used in fancy-rear end Dijon is... from North America.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Relevant to everything in here, I saw my... brother's in-laws (whatever that makes them to me) this weekend, who are the only openly Fox-News Talk About Politics people in my extended family outside of some people I basically never interact with outside of them tormenting my parents and hearing about it secondhand.

1. They expressed surprise at my ability to get out to New Jersey from NYC because of "all of the terrorist stuff" at the Rainbow Bridge, which is both 400 miles north of my travel path and also happened 24 hours after I went out to New Jersey.
2. When various people put forth the opinion based on evidence that it was not an act of terrorism, they pushed back asking how we can know anything for sure. When it was explained that it was a couple in a Bentley who had pretty non-terrorist backgrounds/motives for travel, it was posited that perhaps terrorists blackmailed them by kidnapping their children into trying to drive in from Canada to blow up the Thanksgiving parade, but at the last minute had a change of heart. When it was explained they were leaving America to go into Canada, it was suggested that perhaps they had turned around to not blow up the parade, we'll never know.
3. The subject was then changed to how if there wasn't such a wave of terrorism going on, why had they increased security at the Thanksgiving Day Parade to prevent terrorism? And then let me know that if I didn't feel safe traveling back home they had a spare bedroom I could stay in (I was as we were speaking staying in my brother's family's spare bedroom), and if 'terrorism' kept me from traveling out of state to visit my parents/grandparent at Christmas, I was welcome at their Christmas dinner.

At Thanksgiving proper, the same two people spent an inordinate amount of time doing a c-grade 1980s comedy roast of my vegetarian/vegan cousins, openly calling them 'freaks' and 'sick in the head' and calling tofurky a disgusting science experiment, talking about how rice and mushrooms and soy protein are things for dog food and not human food, wondering if they've ever even TASTED meat, being shocked that they are even alive eating garbage like that, etc.

Two of the vegetarian cousins are like... legitimately doing bodybuilding/fitness competitions and were absolutely in better shape/looked better than every single other person at the meal. The couple performing the comedy roast have some of the most limited adult palates I have ever encountered, like their idea of adventurous eating is getting the fettucine instead of spaghetti, the Cabernet instead of the Pinot, the NY strip instead of the filet mignon. They also marvel in wonder at the stuff their daughter/son-in-law eat, whether it's sushi or Indian or Sichuan or tacos or anything spicier than Heinz 57 sauce. I'm used to them being in mild disbelief that someone would deliberately eat lamb or brussels sprouts or hummus, but the level of bile for tofu was genuinely something out of the early 1990s.

So yeah, the system is still working, for a narrow aging group.

EDIT: Unrelated, one of the vegetarian couples is currently living in a large five bedroom house with another married couple. Both couples have two daughters of similar ages. Three of the four adults worked at a Montessori school which got a new admin they did not care for, and all three of them got a new job at a different school about 90 minutes away. When they were both looking for single family housing in the new area, nothing for sale was really a good fit for them, but this giant (possibly formerly AirBNBed) house/lodge was available for rent and extremely affordable split two ways, so the two families rented it together and have been living there for about nine months now, both still looking for single family homes but also fine with renewing for another year.

I got all of this information out of them after about five minutes of catching up. It makes a whole lot of sense as a long-term renter with a roommate who is also looking to eventually buy a place but it not making any economic sense to me in the past 12 months. Everyone else at the dinner gossiped afterwards about how they've clearly moved to some sort of sex commune and how it has to be something scandalous because why else wouldn't they be willing to talk about it? You don't just move in with other adults for no reason, housing can't be THAT expensive, when we bought our house in the 1990s we only had one income!

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 26, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

People like this should be recorded, named and shamed on Twitter. Now I'm not expecting anything to actually come of it, but it's a chance to make the rear end in a top hat and his supporters feel just as uncomfortable as they make everyone else. It forces other sympathetic people to have to twist themselves into a pretzel to simultaneously defend him while not condoning what he said. Cancel culture him!

I see a lot of anecdotes that are a variation of "My liberal cousin/niece/he-she freak of a roommate/etc said [liberal talking poin] and I replied with [thought terminating conservative talking point] and they were totally owned during dinner haha."
Ah, this conservative debate method. Say something short, quippy and wrong in an endless loop and not care that everything except the most recent thing they said in a long string of things has been proven wrong until the liberal stops playing that retarded game and that's a win to them because that's what they've been taught winning looks like.

Edit: two possible explanations. Terrorists blackmailed a random couple in a Bentley by kidnapping their children into trying to drive in, out or whatever to/from Canada to blow up the Thanksgiving parade, but at the last minute had a change of heart. Or, a random couple in a Bentley gave the world a neat physics demonstration by accident. Of course the more likely scenario of these two to have actually occurred is the one I want to believe happened.
(also Fox News spent two hours speculating on terrorism, then issued a retraction probably around the time people were turning off the TV to get ready for the day)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 26, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Chuds on Twitter think the media is flat out lying about this not being a terrorist attack, because if they were telethon then it would reveal how Biden's "open border" policy is directly responsible for this incident.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If that was terrorism (which it wasn’t) they did a really bad job

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

They are sometimes. Just recently that rear end in a top hat in NYC went viral.

Problem is that NOW, the MAGA conservative brigade wears any blowback as a badge of honor; owning the libs, sticking it to the liberal media, etc, and going on about free speech. It's to the point that "free speech" almost means that unless you're offending or triggering somebody, then you're talking wrong and where anyone who takes offense or has a problem are the ones WITH the problem. Sort of the reverse of punk rock bands that were good, edgy comedians who were funny, 60's counter culture musicians opposed to Vietnam or hip hop artists who wrote provocative songs, which gave birth to the idea of a "conservative rebel" who was speaking truth to power and was hatched (or at least made mainstream) by Rush Limbaugh. They've found a way to brand it, which is what they do with everything, and build it not only into its own messaging but as its own lifestyle and way of communicating.

I pimp this film about once a year called Bob Roberts that I think people here would like. Filmed in 1992, it's remarkably prescient today and eerily predicts the rise of the Trumpian MAGA brigade (titular character goes on SNL), the unapologetic Republican shift towards the right and the marketing tactics that render it appealing to some folks. I think it started with the idea of "the liberal media" not telling us real facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G99Olp16O7M

So they just created their own loving media and sell it not only as exactly what NBC, NPR and CNN do but, more, will tell you what those outlets won't report since they're part of the Democratic Party machine. Like a supposed terrorist attack on the US/Canadian border that Biden and the Deep State are covering up.

I can't find the scene where they describe the concept of a conservative non conformist rebel that I was looking for but the whole thing is worth a watch. Stars Tim Robbins, Giancarlo Esposito, Alan Rickman, Susan Sarandon, John Cusack, Jack Black (film debut!), James Spader, Gore Vidal, Helen Hunt, Ray Wise and Jeremy Piven - among others.

It's real good and will make you laugh while your blood boils internally.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Chuds on Twitter think the media is flat out lying about this not being a terrorist attack, because if they were telethon then it would reveal how Biden's "open border" policy is directly responsible for this incident.

But...they were stopped and unsuccessful? I mean, I'm saying assuming that they were terrorists in the first place.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

But...they were stopped and unsuccessful? I mean, I'm saying assuming that they were terrorists in the first place.

Nothing matters but the narrative of fear and hate, which is infinitely malleable and subject to whatever doublethink is needed to reconcile things they can't just deny outright.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Twitter is right-wing media now

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

Like the supposed thousands of Fentanyl mules being stopped at the border, the answer is usually something like "If that's what's being caught, imagine what's making it past!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

All they care about was that people weren't plowing exploding cars into border checkpoints during Trump, they were doing it under Open Borders Biden's watch.

BiggerBoat posted:

They are sometimes. Just recently that rear end in a top hat in NYC went viral.

Problem is that NOW, the MAGA conservative brigade wears any blowback as a badge of honor; owning the libs, sticking it to the liberal media, etc, and going on about free speech. It's to the point that "free speech" almost means that unless you're offending or triggering somebody, then you're talking wrong and where anyone who takes offense or has a problem are the ones WITH the problem. Sort of the reverse of punk rock bands that were good, edgy comedians who were funny, 60's counter culture musicians opposed to Vietnam or hip hop artists who wrote provocative songs, which gave birth to the idea of a "conservative rebel" who was speaking truth to power and was hatched (or at least made mainstream) by Rush Limbaugh. They've found a way to brand it, which is what they do with everything, and build it not only into its own messaging but as its own lifestyle and way of communicating.

I pimp this film about once a year called Bob Roberts that I think people here would like. Filmed in 1992, it's remarkably prescient today and eerily predicts the rise of the Trumpian MAGA brigade (titular character goes on SNL), the unapologetic Republican shift towards the right and the marketing tactics that render it appealing to some folks. I think it started with the idea of "the liberal media" not telling us real facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G99Olp16O7M

So they just created their own loving media and sell it not only as exactly what NBC, NPR and CNN do but, more, will tell you what those outlets won't report since they're part of the Democratic Party machine. Like a supposed terrorist attack on the US/Canadian border that Biden and the Deep State are covering up.

I can't find the scene where they describe the concept of a conservative non conformist rebel that I was looking for but the whole thing is worth a watch. Stars Tim Robbins, Giancarlo Esposito, Alan Rickman, Susan Sarandon, John Cusack, Jack Black (film debut!), James Spader, Gore Vidal, Helen Hunt, Ray Wise and Jeremy Piven - among others.

It's real good and will make you laugh while your blood boils internally.
Sounds like a great cast, gonna have to give it a watch when I have time. And yeah they act like the left trying to vermeil them is a badge of honor, but it still makes their assholes pucker having to address/justify their actions in the first place. In their sense of a 'Just World' they don't need to have to explain themselves to anyone; being in a position where they have to defend their values can make them very uncomfortable. They're very spoiled on the notion that their values and ideals are an unspoken default. So it upsets them to have to reduce it to the same value of opinion as those they despise.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

All they care about was that people weren't plowing exploding cars into border checkpoints during Trump, they were doing it under Open Borders Biden's watch.

Well people were plowing cars and other vehicles into people during Trump it's just that most of those were nazis doing it to American citizens :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mobby_6kl posted:

Twitter is right-wing media now

it always was, our billionaire emerald god-king just ensured it was explicit.

I'll summon tumblr memories as a comparison. Funny tumblr posts a decade ago were well-intentioned kids going CONTENT WARNING: BEES on their memes just in case.

Twitter at the same time was still dominated as it is today by ancient guys furiously posting that Jeff Davis had some good ideas

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it always was, our billionaire emerald god-king just ensured it was explicit.

I'll summon tumblr memories as a comparison. Funny tumblr posts a decade ago were well-intentioned kids going CONTENT WARNING: BEES on their memes just in case.

Twitter at the same time was still dominated as it is today by ancient guys furiously posting that Jeff Davis had some good ideas

Yeah it's easy to forget the old CEO was (And as far as I can tell still is) best friends with mid-tier Right Wing Influencer Mike Cernovich, you had to actively try to hurt someone famous to get banned from Twitter for being a nazi, but at least the line was there for everyone to see.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah it's easy to forget the old CEO was (And as far as I can tell still is) best friends with mid-tier Right Wing Influencer Mike Cernovich, you had to actively try to hurt someone famous to get banned from Twitter for being a nazi, but at least the line was there for everyone to see.

I got a bunch of Nazis banned for election denial, COVID denialism, and overt racism in like 2020 and 2021.
Jack was and is a monstrous piece of poo poo, and Twitter was a poorly run piece of poo poo under him, but you absolutely cannot say that Twitter under Musk is not a completely different animal.
Twitter under Musk is just a more broken version of 4chan where they say the gamer word slightly less often and the owner regularly engages with the Nazis rather than being hands-off.

Like I don't want to defend Jack, and I'm not, but Musk is absolutely worse by ever single metric, and Twitter under him is another example of the ongoing breakdown of society and normalization of anti-social behavior and open fascism.

Like the thing about Musk and Trump - the insurrection aside - is that their behavior and beliefs are by and large not unusual or even that extreme for people of their social class and role. It's ust that normally these people make at least a token effort to pretend not to be evil and nakedly criminal. These two don't. The Emperor has always been naked, but now he is no longer claiming to wear invisible clothes. The problem with Musk and Trump isn't that they are exceptionally egregious liars who try and hide who and what they are, the problem with them is that they are exceptionally honest and open about who and what they are, and what that means for us as a society that we've reached the point where they feel able to do so.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, why did the word antisocial get a hyphen and why does it sound in my head like it's being used in a dumb pro-life/anti-life dichotomy kind of way?

Or is it me?

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Edge & Christian posted:

EDIT: Unrelated, one of the vegetarian couples is currently living in a large five bedroom house with another married couple. Both couples have two daughters of similar ages. Three of the four adults worked at a Montessori school which got a new admin they did not care for, and all three of them got a new job at a different school about 90 minutes away. When they were both looking for single family housing in the new area, nothing for sale was really a good fit for them, but this giant (possibly formerly AirBNBed) house/lodge was available for rent and extremely affordable split two ways, so the two families rented it together and have been living there for about nine months now, both still looking for single family homes but also fine with renewing for another year.

I got all of this information out of them after about five minutes of catching up. It makes a whole lot of sense as a long-term renter with a roommate who is also looking to eventually buy a place but it not making any economic sense to me in the past 12 months. Everyone else at the dinner gossiped afterwards about how they've clearly moved to some sort of sex commune and how it has to be something scandalous because why else wouldn't they be willing to talk about it? You don't just move in with other adults for no reason, housing can't be THAT expensive, when we bought our house in the 1990s we only had one income!
It's annoying because multiple families living together would be a fantastic thing, not just for those families but for the relief on the overall housing market.

I don't hold it against my wife that she doesn't want to stop living in our own condo, but a couple of our very closest friends recently got a 2000+ sqft split ranch and are struggling a bit to pay for the upkeep. And neither of us have any kids. It would make so much sense for us to move in with them and split their mortgage and utilities, but it's just "not done."

e: I think one thing that makes the idea unappealing is that most of our memories of living with non-family are from college and our twenties when our roommates were dipshit idiots in their twenties and so were we, and that creates a lot of problems. I think four 40 year olds living together would be pretty unlikely to bother each other all that much absent some real personality disorders. (Unless some unsanctioned swapping started up, I guess, but you can maybe put that under personality disorders.)

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 27, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I hadn't any heard any War on Christmas stuff this year so I assumed that the battle was over but loving Sean Hannity released an anti cancel culture christmas movie called Jingle SMells. Jesus Christ

I couldn't find a good link that wasn't RWM calling it an instant classic so...

Sean Hannity Surprise Drops His Cancel-Culture Christmas Comedy Film ‘Jingle Smells’
[/b

https://www.cracked.com/article_40327_sean-hannity-surprise-drops-his-cancel-culture-christmas-comedy-film-jingle-smells.html

quote:

Jingle Smells tells the story of a garbage man and veteran, Nick Gutman, who refuses an order to destroy a shipment of action figures that depict a popular action hero whose actor was canceled for being too patriotic, choosing to disseminate the dolls to children in his neighborhood. “Nick takes on the secret identity ‘Jingle Smells’ and becomes a Robin Hood of the Holidays,” the synopsis reads on Hannity’s website

The Hannity-produced movie is the first feature length film to stream exclusively on the far-right platform Rumble, and it features many of the mainstays in the admittedly small alt-right entertainment circuit. Naturally, conservative comedy star and melting wax statue Jim Breuer plays a prominent role in Jingle Smells with Saturday Night Live alumna and anti-Muslim conspiracy theorist Victoria Jackson also appearing in the project. Formerly respected actors like The Dukes of Hazzard’s John Schneider and Academy Award nominee Eric Roberts round out the cast list, which, supposedly, also includes a supporting performance from Hannity himself.

Almost immediately upon release, Jingle Smells drew [b]immensely positive reviews from conservative audiences
who are just glad to finally have a movie that combines their only two interests: Christmas and cancel culture complaining. “I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN MOVIE!!!” one wrote on IMDb. “The movie interweaved (sic) many serious topics that are present and REAL in today's culture and brought them together in a fun, and yet serious, way. I was laughing one minute and seriously aware the next minute. Hollywood needs more real to life movies like this that teach how to make good decisions when faced with life's deception and yet find the humor and love that is present at the same time.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m pretty sure Eric Roberts never turns down a paycheck

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I really want to know what the too-patriotic things the guy in the movie gets cancelled over. I'm guessing something benign that nobody IRL actually gives two shits about but this movie isn't set in reality so out come the pitchforks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How many right-wing streaming services are going to appear, lose a ton of money, then vanish? What a Renaissance

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It really depends on the whims of their sugar daddies

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

Sean Hannity Surprise Drops His Cancel-Culture Christmas Comedy Film ‘Jingle Smells’

Wow the Onion is getting really lazy these days huh

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Babylon Bee is making a movie about some sports team of men competing against women by claiming they are just trans women. Which is just recycling 90s comedies at this point, it's not even the novel concept they think it is

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hunter wants to testify openly, but GOP denies him.
Which everyone immediately calls them out on because why would you deny transparency unless you want to control it yourself.

https://twitter.com/rickjnewman/status/1729542287082836262

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1729530966941536694

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 28, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hunter Biden wants to show his hog on C-SPAN

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nenonen posted:

Hunter Biden wants to show his hog on C-SPAN

The Republicans literally already have

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

...! posted:

The Republicans literally already have

Stills don't do justice, which is all that he wants

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m pretty sure Eric Roberts never turns down a paycheck
Yeah a cursory examination of his Twitter has him saying he's never voted Republican, and a recent retweet of Obama.

There was an interview David Zucker had back in the day for his An American Carol movie and he noted that not all the cast were conservatives, mentioning Leslie Nielsen and David Alan Grier by name. I recall him saying Nielsen joined as a favor (since they were friends), but didn't mention why Grier joined. I'm going to assume Grier did it for the money, since I doubt he looked at the script and decided his performance would open up career opportunities.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 28, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1729290356142075938?t=KAiWpd1R66UMBCboZBbFLA&s=19

quote:

NEW: Sports news site 'Deadspin' is trying to ruin the life of a young Kansas City Chiefs fan by claiming he is wearing 'Black face.'

This kid should sue them into oblivion.

Deadspin slandered a Chiefs fan by selectively sharing a side image (1st photo) of a young boy to make it look like he was wearing blackface.

A front facing image of the boy (2nd photo) clearly shows that he is wearing black and red face paint, not blackface.

“On Sunday afternoon in Las Vegas, a Kansas City Chiefs fan found a way to hate Black people and the Native Americans at the same time,” said Deadspin's Carron J. Phillips.

“The image of a Chiefs fan in Black face wearing a Native headdress during a road game leads to so many unanswered questions.”

Phillips went on to complain about the NFL and say they need to be “more aggressive” in changing team names and outlawing chants.

“If the NFL had outlawed the chop at Chiefs games and been more aggressive in changing the team’s name, then we wouldn’t be here.”

You can always count on liberals to create problems that don't exist.
Don't you have to prove damages to successfully sue for slander? Also nobody is laying this on a five year old kid
obviously the criticism is on the parents responsible for the getup.

Also it's funny how their solution to everything is just vindictive litigation. Don't conservatives HATE when people sue for dumb poo poo? Like flip this around, imagine somebody suing some right wing rag into the ground, you think chuds are going to shrug and go along with it? Or are they going to start screeching about freeze peach?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Sports leagues/colleges do need to ban names like Chiefs/Braves/Blackhawks and the associated chants/chops but they won't since racists have seemingly unlimited money to give them

:capitalism:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm glad that they are trying to defend this because it's technically not blackface, but it's clearly redface. Some absolute mush brains.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I guess they'll argue it's the teams colors, no different than if a 49ers fan had red+gold face paint. Red is the dominant color of this particular team but I don't know why the other half of the kids face is black and not white or yellow or something. Guess we'd have to see other fans' face paint to verify if it's a typical color scheme.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

...! posted:

Sports leagues/colleges do need to ban names like Chiefs/Braves/Blackhawks and the associated chants/chops but they won't since racists have seemingly unlimited money to give them

:capitalism:

Depending on when/who you ask you get a lot of this

quote:

The Blackhawks have worked with the American Indian Center (AIC) to help inform their community and fan base by sharing Native American culture and history. Scott Sypolt, Executive Counsel for the American Indian Center weighed in on the logo and name controversy by stating, "There is a consensus among us that there's a huge distinction between a sports team called the Redskins depicting native people as red, screaming, ignorant savages and a group like the Blackhawks honoring Black Hawk, a true Illinois historical figure."

Apparently they now don't like it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Iirc the blackhawks were the one significant exception regarding how these team names are handled.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A lot of the commentary I've seen is that the name itself is not a problem, but the logo should certainly be changed.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Discendo Vox posted:

Iirc the blackhawks were the one significant exception regarding how these team names are handled.

Wait is blackhawk not referring to a bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discendo Vox posted:

Florida State University also works closely with the Seminole Tribe of Florida to keep their approval for using their mascot, although the larger Seminole Nation of Oklahoma is less than enthused about its continued use.