Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bright Bart posted:

So the Greek side was like 'The Prime Minister of Greece is an important person held in esteem the world over. Greece is an ancient country, with a population of 11 million, and is the cradle of Western Civilization. You cannot completely snub the Prime Minister of Greece in such an arrogant, utterly bullying way.'

Maybe this was a mistranslation. Maybe they meant 'You shouldn't treat the Greek head of government this way'. Because as for cannot? Sunak definitely just did.

Its such a weird fight to pick. Greece have been asking for them back for decades. You can moan that he was asked to not bring them up but journalists were obviously going to bring it up.
I think there was an attempt to make Sunak look firm on the issue but instead it just kinda comes across that he doesn't have the nerve to say no to the guys face and pissed off a major ally in the process.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/nov/28/barrister-fined-for-giving-salisbury-magistrate-nazi-salute

can't even re-enact classic 70s comedy tropes in front of a panel of magistrates without being fined for bringing your profession into disrepute, these days

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Apraxin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/nov/28/barrister-fined-for-giving-salisbury-magistrate-nazi-salute

can't even re-enact classic 70s comedy tropes in front of a panel of magistrates without being fined for bringing your profession into disrepute, these days

He might have gotten away with it if he had taken the Hans Geering approach.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/27/racism-allegations-destroyed-my-life-laurence-fox-tells-libel-trial

quote:

Fox said he did not have a problem with people of different sexualities. “The streets of London are covered with the pride flag yet nobody is allowed to criticise it. I was making the point that the only other flag in history that society was not allowed to criticise was the Nazi flag,” he said.
Just defending the Nazi flag, non-racistly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder how he feels about people who don't like the union jack.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Mega Comrade posted:

Its such a weird fight to pick. Greece have been asking for them back for decades. You can moan that he was asked to not bring them up but journalists were obviously going to bring it up.
I think there was an attempt to make Sunak look firm on the issue but instead it just kinda comes across that he doesn't have the nerve to say to the guys face and pissed off a major ally in the process.

Right?

Here's how he could have handled it. 'Mr Prime Minister, I don't believe this is on the agenda we have both set for this meeting, which has a lot of pressing issues that we need to deal with.'

In the Guardian article I read about this an old Conservative (peer?) said he suspects this move was premeditated and meant to shore up Sunak's culture war credentials. He's obviously biased but still It's not a bad hypothesis.

Instead he handed Starmer a win, the Greek PM being the Xth world leader who met with the Labour boss but not the Conservative one.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 28, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cat botherer posted:

quote:

I was making the point that the only other flag in history that society was not allowed to criticise was the Nazi flag,” he said.
Fox in 'chatting complete poo poo' shocker :monocle:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cat botherer posted:

quote:

I was making the point that the only other flag in history that society was not allowed to criticise was the Nazi flag

I ended up in prison and paying a hefty fine for criticizing the rainbow flag :qq:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Very chill, Japan and Denmark.

e: And Uruguay. But we all already knew they're cool.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Doesn't that mean you're not allowed to gently caress about with any country's flags? So like less chill?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Germany means business

quote:

As of 2020, it also results in up to three years of imprisonment as punishment for damaging or reviling the flag of any foreign country (§104 StGB). Until then, only flags that were shown publicly by tradition, event, or routinely by representatives of an official foreign entity were protected. The legislative reform to include also unofficially or privately used flags was an explicit reaction to the repeated burning of Israeli flags during anti-Israeli protests.[45][46]

As part of that reform, a newly formed §90c StGB was introduced that extends the scope of protection to the flag and anthem of the European Union.

You better be very precise when you sing or play Ode to Joy there.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Doesn't that mean you're not allowed to gently caress about with any country's flags? So like less chill?

You can still do it to your own.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah. But that's the only flag you're allowed to gently caress about with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

But he was set to play Batman, you know? Batman! And the wokesters took it away by forcing him to call them paedophiles.
"Curse you wokester! You've changed the comissioner's pronouns!"

"Actually this is kind of nice. I'm starting to have feelings."

"Wokesteeerrr!"

E: other possibility - he thought he was auditioning for batman but it was a fathers for justice thing

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 28, 2023

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Whichever journalist wrote that up did well to get that quote over the loud banging sound of Fox’s barrister’s head against his desk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Curse you wokester! You've changed the comissioner's pronouns!"
Reminds me of "gender me this, batman" from his fellow pudding brained loser, the Sinfest guy.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Whichever journalist wrote that up did well to get that quote over the loud banging sound of Fox’s barrister’s head against his desk.

Earning half a million as a journeyman actor and deciding that being a professional dickhead on Twitter was a better career choice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Buddy, they won't even let ME gently caress it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/BelTel/status/1729588673715274073?t=YELKJDhQlvWPypzrWIuXnA&s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of "gender me this, batman" from his fellow pudding brained loser, the Sinfest guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRMNwrNk5WE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hamas is the new woke

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

You don't get this kind of raw, purestrain insanity anywhere else. Are Wee Country.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Surely their ability to invade foreign lands and take control from the native population makes them the British Empire of the squirrel world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird that if they can dig tunnels 260 feet underground and the IDF only has a fence 60 feet down that nobody in hamas has heard of the concepts of sapping or undermining.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

She hamassed wokely toward the stairs, then gendered downward.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's weird that if they can dig tunnels 260 feet underground and the IDF only has a fence 60 feet down that nobody in hamas has heard of the concepts of sapping or undermining.

Now I'm imagining a scenario where they manage to mass-sinkhole whole military bases from 200ft below surface.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Now I'm imagining a scenario where they manage to mass-sinkhole whole military bases from 200ft below surface.

The royal engineers managed to turn 300 feet of german trenches into this

using tunnels and sixty tons of tannerite. You can do all sorts of things if you've got time, commitment, and sixty tons of tannerite.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

using tunnels and sixty tons of tannerite. You can do all sorts of things if you've got time, commitment, and sixty tons of tannerite.

So you need a ton of tannerite to destroy 1.5 metres of trench? That's weak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably still more efficient than trying to do it by lobbing the stuff a few pounds at a time from a mile away.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trenches are just a long hole, so about all you can do with them is make them less hole with a bunch of trees from a tank or much more hole with tons of explosives.

Things that are more ornate and structural than a long hole would require much less to rearrange.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bright Bart posted:

Right?

Here's how he could have handled it. 'Mr Prime Minister, I don't believe this is on the agenda we have both set for this meeting, which has a lot of pressing issues that we need to deal with.'

In the Guardian article I read about this an old Conservative (peer?) said he suspects this move was premeditated and meant to shore up Sunak's culture war credentials. He's obviously biased but still It's not a bad hypothesis.

Instead he handed Starmer a win, the Greek PM being the Xth world leader who met with the Labour boss but not the Conservative one.

I'm going to enjoy when India decides to press this and Rishi is sat there explaining why he won't give Indian artifacts back whilst also assuring the South Asian community that he gives a poo poo about them and won't just sell them out to the nearest rich white person given half the chance.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Somewhere, lost to the sands of time, is an Armando Iannucci piss take of the Sun's news graphic of the assault on the Tora Bora mountain tunnel system. All I can remember is it showed a helicopter dropping a sarcastic sprinkling of cocoa in the aftermath of a bombing, calling it a "Condoleezza Cappucino".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Endjinneer posted:

Somewhere, lost to the sands of time, is an Armando Iannucci piss take of the Sun's news graphic of the assault on the Tora Bora mountain tunnel system. All I can remember is it showed a helicopter dropping a sarcastic sprinkling of cocoa in the aftermath of a bombing, calling it a "Condoleezza Cappucino".

The mail did a very similar version of the bin laden doom mountain for the hamas hollow earth a while back.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's a disgrace, foreign artefacts being given pride of place in the BRITISH Museum. Send 'em back where they came from, that's what I say.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

weak. The Italians blew up a mountain with 5 tons of gelignite, changing the geography to the extent that the coat of arms of the commune now features the act.

https://www.turismofvg.it/en/108650/the-mine-placed-under-col-di-lana

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The underground complex doodles are fascinating to me because they're like outsider art, like those artists who draw under massive doses of psychedelics. It's fascist doublethink fantasy in full free association. The Gazans are little more than animals but they've got Tracy Island poo poo. They're all child-killing troglodytes but I'm just now getting unverified reports from the IDF that Hamas has successfully activated an Eva

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

that's my MP :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
What if they stuck a nozzle into one of the tunnels and just got lots and lots of polyfilla