Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nessus posted:

So a mutant but not a mutant mutant. A different kind of mutant that didn’t count as a mutant, despite being a mutant

well when your entire island society is built on x-gene ethnonationalism there's a difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

As much as I just think Dan Slott is a lovely writer, I can understand him being like "I'm writing Fantastic Four, I don't want Franklin Richards getting sidetracked into a bunch of X-Men stuff I have to then address in my own book" but it was a lovely way to do it, I blame editorial for this poo poo more than Slott, there's a lot of conversations that should have happened between people that didn't happen before Franklin Richards was made "not a mutant."

I mean or you can do what every other writer does and ignore or adapt to what's happening to them in other books.

Plus the reason Slott did that was because he said he didn't want Franklin to be that powerful because he would be able to solve any crisis without problem. That's showing that Slott isn't creative enough to write around it, so he took the lazy way out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

franklin being a "mutant" mutant was always dumb. the kid's parents are two people whose dna got cosmic rayed. you don't need to then go, oh wait but your power actually comes from you also having the x-gene. it's just so unnecessary. maybe slott can come in an un-retcon kamala too

I liked that though. Like I liked that there was a major character in the universe who was just a mutant. Marketing stunt or no, Franklin being a mutant meant that a major non-mutant family actually had a mutant kid and might have to deal with that, even if it was just in Days of Future Past. It's genuinely more appealing that no, their kid was just born a normal kid who happened to have an X-Gene.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

site posted:

well when your entire island society is built on x-gene ethnonationalism there's a difference!

Yeah, and there was honestly a lot to be done with "a prominent 'mutant' who has lived as a mutant and thought they were a mutant is not technically a mutant; what do we do?" but apparently they didn't want to do that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

site posted:

franklin being a "mutant" mutant was always dumb. the kid's parents are two people whose dna got cosmic rayed. you don't need to then go, oh wait but your power actually comes from you also having the x-gene. it's just so unnecessary. maybe slott can come in an un-retcon kamala too

I'm pretty sure I've said this here before but my defining "what is a mutant" is depicted in the 80's house ad with the "Do you know what your children are?" The idea that the x-gene just shows up when the right combination of genes happens is good and makes it seem dangerous. That Reed and Sue or Peter and Mary Jane or even Scott and Jean would have a kid and have it automatically be a mutant is lazy to me. But I also understand that in serial storytelling, making coincidences and connections happen is a thing that's just going to happen because people want to tell stories that are revelations and world-breaking or whatever.

That said, I've always like Franklin as a mutant and it sucks that Slott couldn't figure out a way to tell stories without his powers get in the way.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I liked that though. Like I liked that there was a major character in the universe who was just a mutant. Marketing stunt or no, Franklin being a mutant meant that a major non-mutant family actually had a mutant kid and might have to deal with that, even if it was just in Days of Future Past. It's genuinely more appealing that no, their kid was just born a normal kid who happened to have an X-Gene.

Agreed 100%. Marvel is often quite bad at integrating aspects into their universe unless it's a specific event.

You don't see, say, a blue person or a bird guy walking around NYC during a casual Fantastic Four establishing panel to make it clear that this is the world and mutants are a thing in it, even outside of the X-books.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

At this point, I just assume any reality warper gets to decide whether or not they have an X-Gene, and that decision applies retroactively. It explains Franklin, it explains Scarlet Witch, an it's currently explaining Gwenpool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

for me the thing is, he's already a mutant even without the x-gene. the story of parents having to deal with a child that has mutated dna and powers and you just have to deal with that is built in with franklin. there's stories to tell about a child who is a mutant by birth but does not have the x-gene and how they interact with "mutant" society. even the juxtaposition of one child having powers and the other not is there with valeria. but because marvel has written itself into an awkward corner where if you want to have characters in the x-men playground they're only allowed to have an x-gene so well if we want to call franklin a mutant we have to give him an x-gene

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

If there's no x-gene they are a human mutate (unrelated to Magneto's Mutates of course) whether or not their powers were present since birth, that's the term of art that has been around in Marvel for ages. I don't know that it's ever been a thing stated in the comics but that's been the way the distinction has been drawn for, decades probably.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

If there's no x-gene they are a human mutate (unrelated to Magneto's Mutates of course) whether or not their powers were present since birth, that's the term of art that has been around in Marvel for ages. I don't know that it's ever been a thing stated in the comics but that's been the way the distinction has been drawn for, decades probably.

From his place in the hereafter, Mark Gruenwald is nodding furiously.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

rantmo posted:

Yeah and it's a very strange distinction borne of the fact that up until the current orchis arc apparently every person in the 616 had a built in x-gene detector in their eyes and would only be bigoted against x-gene people, because apparently it never occurred to writers that bigots are gonna be assholes to random people born with powers and treat them the same whether or not they have a DNA test in their hands

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's not strange at all, no writers have cared enough to delve into it meaningfully. That's not a value judgement and I agree that it's a really interesting vein of story that remains untapped but them's the breaks.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd rather just choose to believe that Slott somehow thinks there's a meaningful distinction between Franklin and characters like Broo, Fantomex, Deadpool, Danger and so on (other than, "this is the one I'm writing")

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'd rather just choose to believe that Slott somehow thinks there's a meaningful distinction between Franklin and characters like Broo, Fantomex, Deadpool, Danger and so on (other than, "this is the one I'm writing")

Deadpool isn't a capital M Mutant last I checked. I sorta think the same is true of Danger but I'm not sure, last I saw he she was the villain in a Wolverine story (that heavily featured Deadpool and was why he was brought into X-Force). Pre-Fall of X Krakoan government was super anti-robot, but was shown to grow in other ways like when Gabby died Hope was like "nope, gently caress your no resurrecting clones rules, we're bringing her back" same with Madelyne Pryor. Broo is definitely a mutant, not sure on Fantomex. I think if Orchis hadn't blown up Krakoa there's a definite chance they would have brought sentient robots into the fold of mutandom

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Is there a reason why Krakoa would be anti-robot in particular? Moira's thing was prepping mutant-kind to last far enough into the future to beat out the robots and post-humans for Dominionhood (until it wasn't), but I would have assumed she was keeping that part close to the chest. Obviously Sentinels and Nimrod are a sore spot, but I can't think of instances of Krakoa being against robots as a rule.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

rantmo posted:

It's not strange at all, no writers have cared enough to delve into it meaningfully. That's not a value judgement and I agree that it's a really interesting vein of story that remains untapped but them's the breaks.

There was a bit of exploration of this idea in Generation M, a post-House of M mini series. It followed several mutants who lost their powers and how they looked at the concept of "mutant".

Rochallor posted:

I can't think of instances of Krakoa being against robots as a rule.

Hell, the island is half-robot anyway as we learned in Inferno

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Yeah and it's a very strange distinction borne of the fact that up until the current orchis arc apparently every person in the 616 had a built in x-gene detector in their eyes and would only be bigoted against x-gene people, because apparently it never occurred to writers that bigots are gonna be assholes to random people born with powers and treat them the same whether or not they have a DNA test in their hands

This is definitely not the first time someone who look "like a mutant" has been attacked despite not being a mutant. There was a story in Generation X where they go to save a kid in a school who is very clearly "different" but turns out to not be a mutant at all. Spider-Man has had backlash here and there for having powers (admittedly most from Jameson). It's not well-explored, but there's been stories about it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

There was a bit of exploration of this idea in Generation M, a post-House of M mini series. It followed several mutants who lost their powers and how they looked at the concept of "mutant".

There has been such cool stuff about Mutant culture that never has had a chance to breathe, it's a real shame and also probably not very interesting to enough people to really be practical. drat shame, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

There has been such cool stuff about Mutant culture that never has had a chance to breathe, it's a real shame and also probably not very interesting to enough people to really be practical. drat shame, though.

It was the earlier version of doing neat things with Jubilee when she lost her powers. She headed up a version of the New Warriors.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I can't help but think of that one Fantastic Four page where Reed admits to a young Valeria that he made his friends celebrities so they wouldn't be freaks. Which is a vein of Marvel world building I wish more stories would plumb. Because yeah, bigots don't understand nuance. They wouldn't be able to tell whether a person with super powers or a strange look is a mutant, inhuman, deviant, alien refugee, freak science accident, magical/mythical being etc. But bigots are also irrational, and thus inconsistent. I could absolutely see someone who hates mutants being a big Captain America fan, the same way many racists are able to enjoy certain Black celebrities, or befriend or date Black individuals they consider "one of the good ones". The difference comes down to marketing. Most heroes and villains are one off accidents or unique individuals, with most hero's going out of their way to endear themselves to the public. Mutants, on the other hand, claim to be the next step in evolution. They are literally here to replace you. Their very existence is a direct threat to you, random civilian. And they can pop up anywhere. Odds are slim your child, coworker, or romantic partner will get bitten by a radioactive spider or take super soldier serum. But mutants? There are more and more of those every year. And like in real life, the powers that be would be motivated to further alienate these perceived threats, using their resources to stoke public fears of "the mutant menace within". So yeah, while it's not logical, I find the alienation of mutants above those of other super powered individuals to be surprisingly realistic.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 29, 2023

Caros
May 14, 2008

So they pulled the trigger in X-men blue:

As expected, mystique is the dad. Destiny is the mom which makes all her behavior toward Nightcrawler that much funnier.

Why does he have the same power set and appearance as Azazel? Who knows. Best guess, carcinisation, but for mutants. Tail and teleportation is the x-gene end state.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

glitchwraith posted:

Mutants, on the other hand, claim to be the next step in evolution. They are literally here to replace you. Their very existence is a direct threat to you, random civilian. And they can pop up anywhere.

Honestly, I think people who argue that it doesn't make sense why the FF would be okay to an anti-mutant bigot but the X-Men wouldn't are either unaware of the in-universe explanation here or are purposely ignoring it. It's pretty simple.

Also, though I am not a big fan of the Morrison run, I do love how well they connected the onset of mutant powers to puberty. I think an underexplored aspect of mutantdom is how a 30 year old para-military soldier who can become a nuclear bomb is actually WAY LESS SCARY than a 14 year old with the same power. That mutants not only can come from anywhere but also appear suddenly as teenagers is terrifying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

As expected, mystique is the dad. Destiny is the mom which makes all her behavior toward Nightcrawler that much funnier.

Why does he have the same power set and appearance as Azazel? Who knows. Best guess, carcinisation, but for mutants. Tail and teleportation is the x-gene end state.

Unrelated Mutants can have similar powers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Caros posted:

It's loving hilarious to me that Marvel editorial finely said yes to this, but Spider-Man still isn't allowed to be married to MJ.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Caros posted:

Ironically convergent evolution was part of Chuck Austen's inspiration for the Draco. The idea of unrelated mutants happening to evolve similarly, and creating sub-species as a result.

But as far as Nightcrawler looking like Azazel and having the same powers, they address this in the comic. Raven was mimicking men in her life when she and Destiny did the deed, partly subconsciously, and partly as a result of Destiny's machinations. Apparently this allowed her to pass on part of Azazel's DNA.

Just, uh, don't worry about how she's able to pass on mutant powers to her offspring despite not being able to mimic those powers herself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also she said that nightcrawler was born to make sure Azreal did not take over the world, so he had to assume he was his son

Caros
May 14, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Ironically convergent evolution was part of Chuck Austen's inspiration for the Draco. The idea of unrelated mutants happening to evolve similarly, and creating sub-species as a result.

But as far as Nightcrawler looking like Azazel and having the same powers, they address this in the comic. Raven was mimicking men in her life when she and Destiny did the deed, partly subconsciously, and partly as a result of Destiny's machinations. Apparently this allowed her to pass on part of Azazel's DNA.

Just, uh, don't worry about how she's able to pass on mutant powers to her offspring despite not being able to mimic those powers herself.

Yeah I know. The crab joke just got stuck in my head.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also she said that nightcrawler was born to make sure Azreal did not take over the world, so he had to assume he was his son

This is one of those baffling things.

Azazel is going to take over the world? Really?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Caros posted:

This is one of those baffling things.

Azazel is going to take over the world? Really?

He will make everyone read the draco and it will cause their heads to blow up scanners style to protect ourselves

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Are there any times where Nightcrawler and Rogue address the fact they are kinda siblings?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

Are there any times where Nightcrawler and Rogue address the fact they are kinda siblings?

I'm pretty sure it's come up a few times. Wasn't Rogue and Grayden Creed present when Nightcrawler first found out about his relation to Mystique?

Caros posted:

In all fairness, it was a good joke.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

glitchwraith posted:

I'm pretty sure it's come up a few times. Wasn't Rogue and Grayden Creed present when Nightcrawler first found out about his relation to Mystique?

Yeah. Mystique set a bomb for Graydon and Kurt found out then because Creed told him when everybody else danced around it. The retcon means that the private investigator who told Graydon "the truth" (Mystique was married to a rich count who kicked her out when she had a baby who looked like Kurt) just fed him the biggest line of baloney.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

Usually it amounts to them going "Weird right?" "Yeahhhh"

I kinda hated this X-Men Blue. I don't buy Mystique as... well, not being a 99.9% selfish monster, basically. Like I buy that she cares for Rogue and Destiny but beyond that she's always been like a nightmare fusion of a spy novel femme fatale and Lucille Bluth. Like Archer's mom, except way worse. This seems like a lot of narrative gymnastics to try and soften that edge.

And considering that the main point seems to have been canonizing that Mystique is the father Destiny is the mother bit, I don't even see why it was necessary. You could do that and not have to contrive all this dubiously in-character gnashing of teeth and angst. Because they're both awful! And it's not even like that makes them the worst X-Men adjacent psuedo allies! Vulcan, Sinister, and Apocalypse are still on the Christmas card list, probably.

To be honest, taking the long view, I haven't been super into Spurrier's Kurt, either. A little too heavy on the holy roller and lacking in all the stuff that I liked about him, which is basically everything else. Makes him feel like a less entertaining, mutant aligned version of Daredevil. Especially with the sleeping around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinister has to be off the Christmas card list by now.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kinda hated this X-Men Blue. I don't buy Mystique as... well, not being a 99.9% selfish monster, basically. Like I buy that she cares for Rogue and Destiny but beyond that she's always been like a nightmare fusion of a spy novel femme fatale and Lucille Bluth. Like Archer's mom, except way worse. This seems like a lot of narrative gymnastics to try and soften that edge.

Eh, I don't think this softens her that much, given she still admits to murdering a large percentage of her lovers. All this does is explain her mixed feelings about Kurt through the years. That said, it's fair criticism that this story mainly exists as a continuity patch.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 29, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

Usually it amounts to them going "Weird right?" "Yeahhhh"

Yeah, I genuinely can't think of a time they really act like siblings (which is valid, given their respective upbringings). I think there was more of that in X-Men Evolution.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Given Kurt's history with Amanda Sefton maybe its better they didnt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

Given Kurt's history with Amanda Sefton maybe its better they didnt

I mean, that would be less gross than the Amanda Sefton stuff, but I'd feel bad for Gambit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the retcon itself is a bit awkward, but the new version is just plain better.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The art was better in Realm of X this week but ultimately it seemed like a pretty pointless mini.

I have no idea why this shadow man is summoning muppets but they don't seem to show up later in the book anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-Men Blue was great, imo. So the way it works, I think is as such:

Mystique probably COULD mimic powers, per Dr. Nemesis's data page. She just doesn't and won't submit herself to testing or being trained to because gently caress you, she's Mystique. She mimicked DNA from both Azazel and Christian Wagner during the conception so Kurt is genetically related to four different parents.

As for bad X-Men art, how about Butthead Scarlet Witch from the current Infinite series?