Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

mailorder bees posted:

cities are probably all walkable and full of wonderful mass transit trains that are run by mass transit enthusiasts

wall to wall botanists and fuzzy sweater enthusiasts sighing contentedly in their etsy crafting cottage themed free quarters

makes me understand wanting to blast off into space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DrSunshine posted:

That's essentially it, in the future, agricultural work is essentially reduced to going to the orchard to pick your own fruit for fun during the holidays. The girls are all tourists or longtime volunteers, who mainly use it as an excuse to get some exercise, some sun, and :quagmire:

Just spray off with the hose, LeeAnne!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Definitely nobody irl is obsessed with trains

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
An observation humans in Star Trek aren't actually the same humans as us. The human population has Augment alleles running around in it as evidenced by La'an. The entirety of humanity started to get its poo poo together about 100 years after the Augments lost the Eugenics war, which is on average five generations of people from the Augments to the founding of the Federation. Depending on how many Augments there were, how many spread their (space)seed around, how beneficial Augment alleles are, etc., Augment genetics could be fairly widespread by the time humanity gets out into the wider galaxy.

This suggests humanity didn't just up and loving decide to stop murdering each other over peanuts, we engineered peace into our species through interbreeding with Augments. Dunno how I feel about that...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

maybeadracula posted:

Definitely nobody irl is obsessed with ham radio

maybeadracula posted:

Definitely nobody irl is obsessed with Renaissance festivals

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cessna posted:

Just spray off with the hose, LeeAnne!

I laughed louder than I thought I was capable of at that line, Lower Decks is so good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mycomancy posted:

An observation humans in Star Trek aren't actually the same humans as us. The human population has Augment alleles running around in it as evidenced by La'an. The entirety of humanity started to get its poo poo together about 100 years after the Augments lost the Eugenics war, which is on average five generations of people from the Augments to the founding of the Federation. Depending on how many Augments there were, how many spread their (space)seed around, how beneficial Augment alleles are, etc., Augment genetics could be fairly widespread by the time humanity gets out into the wider galaxy.

This suggests humanity didn't just up and loving decide to stop murdering each other over peanuts, we engineered peace into our species through interbreeding with Augments. Dunno how I feel about that...

Interesting theory, but is there any evidence of this in the shows? Like, in DS9 they made a big deal about Bashir's augmentations, so clearly it's still a touchy subject. If everyone was the result of augment interbreeding, someone would mention it, I'd think. Or did I miss it?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

redshirt posted:

Interesting theory, but is there any evidence of this in the shows? Like, in DS9 they made a big deal about Bashir's augmentations, so clearly it's still a touchy subject. If everyone was the result of augment interbreeding, someone would mention it, I'd think. Or did I miss it?

No I don't think you missed it, part of the issue here is that La'an as a character or as a concept didn't exist when DS9 was being written; I really doubt that the DS9 writers had thought "y'know, I bet Khan and all his other 'genetic supermen' interbred with other humans and now their genes are all running around in humanity," I mean hell they didn't even call them "augments" that was a term introduced several years later in Enterprise if I remember right.

Trying to extrapolate what later writers introduced back into earlier productions gets really messy and one of these days I'm going to write an essay on why it's increasingly silly to try and treat all the shows and movies as objective observations of a singular real universe. (i.e. canon is bullshit, embrace heresy)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

redshirt posted:

La'an Noonien-Singh is a direct descent of Kahn Noonien-Singh.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

But nothing about laan suggests she's actually augmented.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mycomancy posted:

La'an Noonien-Singh is a direct descent of Kahn Noonien-Singh.

Direct descendants are one thing, augment DNA being in humanity as a whole now is an entirely different matter.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The idea that humans improve because of genetic manipulation kind of runs contrary to the entire ethos of Star Trek

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tighclops posted:

The idea that humans improve because of genetic manipulation kind of runs contrary to the entire ethos of Star Trek

*shrug* If the end results are identical and an outside source didn't force it on humanity, who's to say which thing is contrary?

Sounds like it'd be a good Star Trek episode.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Tighclops posted:

yea but its a dumb idea tbqh, edit out my genetic diseases you irresponsible jerks

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

star trek should have an episode where people class action sue humanity for having the technology and capability to have prevented genetic disorders but willfully not doing it because of ethics/morals/whatever

edit: with a ferengi lawyer representing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't talking about curing diseases, I meant the idea of just editing people to suck less instead of humans growing and maturing collectively as a species through our various trials and tribbleations

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GolfHole posted:

star trek should have an episode where people class action sue humanity for having the technology and capability to have prevented genetic disorders but willfully not doing it because of ethics/morals/whatever

I may be a simple Ferengi lawyer, but I do know a con when I see one....

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

:sax: Single Ferengi lawyer, havin' lots of Oo-mox

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
star trek is an absurd fantasy where humanity ditches most of the horrible traits that have held them back for their entire history. even without the aliens and magic technology, there is no path from here to a future of enlightened benevolence. still, it's nice to pretend so just roll with it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

But nothing about laan suggests she's actually augmented.

They kind of waffle back and forth on it, but the two times she fights someone with actual enhanced strength (Una and the Romulan temporal agent lady), she gets her rear end absolutely handed to her.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If I recall correctly, Khan's Eugenic supermen being genetically enhanced didn't really prevent them from being venal and bloodthirsty, in fact it seemed to make them more violent and bloodthirsty. Violent and bloodthirsty enough to conquer the entire world and start World War 3! The "Augments interbreeding made us more peaceful" theory seems like it's totally contradicted by this fact.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

They kind of waffle back and forth on it, but the two times she fights someone with actual enhanced strength (Una and the Romulan temporal agent lady), she gets her rear end absolutely handed to her.

Did “Into Darkness” introduce the idea that Khan et al. had super strength or did Enterprise do it first?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Someone was asking about DS9 medical staff. Youtube fed me this video about root beer, but also kept some Klingon attack stuff, too. Bashir speaks to two other medical people warning them about bat'leth injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bskhLaJYd8&t=270s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's in the original series. kirk talks to mccoy while khan is still out and mccoy talks about how his lung efficiency is twice a regular humans and how khan could probably lift both of them with one arm.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

it's in the original series. kirk talks to mccoy while khan is still out and mccoy talks about how his lung efficiency is twice a regular humans and how khan could probably lift both of them with one arm.

I watched that episode recently, after like what, 40 years since I last saw it.

Enterprise crew was dumb. "Oh, hello mysterious stranger. Sure, you can have access to all our computer systems as you rest".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

Did “Into Darkness” introduce the idea that Khan et al. had super strength or did Enterprise do it first?

Straight TOS did. Khan whips the poo poo outta Kirk, tossing him around engineering like a sack of flour, laughing off every punch and kick Kirk throws at him and just straight up grabbing Kirk's phaser and breaking it in half like a child's toy. In Wrath of Khan, Khan picks Chekov up by the neck and dangles him over his head like he's holding a child. He even flat out tells Kirk he has five times his strength after he demolishes him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_c1Odol9xw

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Straight TOS did. Khan whips the poo poo outta Kirk, tossing him around engineering like a sack of flour, laughing off every punch and kick Kirk throws at him and just straight up grabbing Kirk's phaser and breaking it in half like a child's toy. In Wrath of Khan, Khan picks Chekov up by the neck and dangles him over his head like he's holding a child. He even flat out tells Kirk he has five times his strength after he demolishes him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_c1Odol9xw

Makes the ending of Space Seed all the more bizarre

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They also incorporated some gorilla genes or something.

Phlox's people had the right idea. They don't augment people past natural limits but they do correct abnormalities and the like.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

holy poo poo he shrugged off three double-axe-handles like it was nothing. the man is a unstoppable.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They also incorporated some gorilla genes or something.

Phlox's people had the right idea. They don't augment people past natural limits but they do correct abnormalities and the like.
“Remove the monogamy gene and add a super long tongue gene”

They are millennia ahead of everyone

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

holy poo poo he shrugged off three double-axe-handles like it was nothing. the man is a unstoppable.

You know he's the Ubermensch when he does that. No one can do that!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

You know he's the Ubermensch when he does that. No one can do that!

For all of Into Darkness's flaws, Khan shrugging off a Vulcan neck pinch was a nice visual shorthand to show he REALLY wasn't loving around.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GolfHole posted:

They can, and have on screen, used genetic manipulation for the curing of diseases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

They can, and have on screen, used genetic manipulation for the curing of diseases.

It's mentioned verbatim in DS9 that curing diseases is completely fine, you just can't, say, give yourself cats eyes to see in the dark or turn your skin purple just for the sake of cosmetic appeal.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ok well that, then, whatever

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Just tell me when I can genetically enhance my assets, k, thx.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So was the distinctive fighting style of TOS an attempt to show futuristic combat moves?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

your honour my parents were simply trying to cure me of the disease of being a gigantic wuss who can't beat up a grizzly bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's mentioned verbatim in DS9 that curing diseases is completely fine, you just can't, say, give yourself cats eyes to see in the dark or turn your skin purple just for the sake of cosmetic appeal.

But then you got kids like Bashir who seemed to have had significant developmental delays and presumably not a candidate for any kind of authorized treatment. And then there's stuff like Kirk's allergy to Retinax so he has to wear glasses which seems like an easy fix.