Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yeah man your plane is way too shallow. Try aiming for getting your hands much higher at the top of your swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Aggro posted:

Alright, before I splurge on more lessons, I figure I oughta ask the goon hive mind.

If I'm diagnosing my own issue correctly, it's that my hips are moving toward the ball as I initiate my downswing, when I should be pulling my left hip back. But, I cannot loving figure out how to pull my hip back without extending / standing up. So far with this swing, I've eliminated my disgusting heel shank, but I've replaced that with the occasional duck hook into the woods. When it all comes together though, I hit nice little fades like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiC9VfHZ5to

gvibes posted:

Deep meaning the butt of the club gets way behind you:

I'm only looking at your right foot and it could be your shoes, but it looks like you've got a "sway" instead of a turn, which basically means your center of mass is moving too far to your right in the backswing. I have a similar tendency where my default reaction to most cues about rotation and weight shifting result in me getting my center of mass way too far right and causing all kinds of issues.

If this sounds like you, try the following swing thoughts:
Keep your weight "in between" your feet, feel the pressure on the inside right foot, in the arch, and work on "coiling" around the right foot to get the hip back. The center of your hips (halfway between tailbone and belly button) shouldn't move that much laterally, right knee should "feel" inside the foot, not directly over or past, and the weight shift should feel more like pressure building in your right foot instead of your body moving onto your right foot.

Hard to tell with down the line view and not head on, but I'm basing my diagnosis off the fact that the outside of your right sole looks squished at the top of the backswing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just booked a lucky seven club fitting with PXG. Going to go 5-PW and 50 degree wedge.

Kinda lost it on a couple of course employees yesterday. 0930 tee time at Fossil Trace. Play 1, and 2, moving quick. On tee box at three, the 0950 time skips the #2 hole, and the #2 group, goes to the #4 tee box. Said at the time, "well, if they don't hold us up, won't matter."

We get to #4 box, they're still in the fairway, 2 of the 3 not having hit yet. They've run up on the maintenance guys. Group of employees. When one comes back to explain, I lit in, because of course they're on the maintenance guys, they jumped in front of the first tee time. Two more holes of it before they just jump past the maintenance and our group never waits again, not do we have to wait on maintenance.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Plank Walker posted:

I'm only looking at your right foot and it could be your shoes, but it looks like you've got a "sway" instead of a turn, which basically means your center of mass is moving too far to your right in the backswing. I have a similar tendency where my default reaction to most cues about rotation and weight shifting result in me getting my center of mass way too far right and causing all kinds of issues.

If this sounds like you, try the following swing thoughts:
Keep your weight "in between" your feet, feel the pressure on the inside right foot, in the arch, and work on "coiling" around the right foot to get the hip back. The center of your hips (halfway between tailbone and belly button) shouldn't move that much laterally, right knee should "feel" inside the foot, not directly over or past, and the weight shift should feel more like pressure building in your right foot instead of your body moving onto your right foot.

Hard to tell with down the line view and not head on, but I'm basing my diagnosis off the fact that the outside of your right sole looks squished at the top of the backswing.
If you are just looking at the stills I have there, I think he looks more right than he actual is there because he get the weight so far on his heels, so you see the squishing there. His turn seems fairly centered:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I realize there are no accepted standards for what "flex" really means as a measure, and that it is relative, within a single product line *at best*, but does anyone here have any experience with the nippon 850gh neo or 950gh neo lines? I'm wondering if I can double soft step regular flex into enough of a senior flex for someone. I've heard the lines run soft compared to most steel shafts (aside from say Zelos which is on another level of flexibility).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GEMorris posted:

I realize there are no accepted standards for what "flex" really means as a measure, and that it is relative, within a single product line *at best*, but does anyone here have any experience with the nippon 850gh neo or 950gh neo lines? I'm wondering if I can double soft step regular flex into enough of a senior flex for someone. I've heard the lines run soft compared to most steel shafts (aside from say Zelos which is on another level of flexibility).
Soft stepping and hard stepping is about tweaking feel. It doesn't really change performance characteristics, and for that you'd need to go 2x.

If this is for a new set of clubs, I would look for a different shaft. Might make sense to go graphite.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
This is a set of .355 tip 7 irons with 950GH Neos in regular flex installed. The target user needs senior/A/R2 flex with -1/2" off of standard length). I'm considering double soft stepping the set (moving the 5 shaft to the 7, 6 to the 8, etc.) And buying a new 3&4 iron shaft (to double soft step into the 5&6). I've read the nipppon gh shafts play as a lighter flex and wanted to see if anyone here had experience with them.

Alternatively I'm looking at a full set of new shafts, likely sanding .370 graphite shafts down to .355 taper, or reaming the heads to .370, which is a bigger time and money commitment.

Fwiw I do my own work so I'm not concerned about shop time.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GEMorris posted:

Alternatively I'm looking at a full set of new shafts, likely sanding .370 graphite shafts down to .355 taper, or reaming the heads to .370, which is a bigger time and money commitment.

Fwiw I do my own work so I'm not concerned about shop time.

From looking at this myself a while ago, it's probably cheaper to sell these irons and buy a new set with the shafts you want.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
It isn't, as these irons were never sold with the desired shafts. As soon as you aren't doing your own work, or as soon as you're using the "hot new" shaft, what you are saying is true though. If I have to do a full graphite swap I'll use Aldila NV's which I can get a set of 7 for $120 shipped right now in the "old" graphics. I've got $350 into the clubs right now (a very lightly used 5-gw set of tr21x Honmas, which is a well reviewed and fully modern hollow body distance iron), not even counting reselling the set of pulled shafts (likely net $120+ for 950gh neos) I'll be sub-$500 for a full custom set even covering assembly supply costs.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 20, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

And thus, my celibacy has been assured.

Thanks dad for the cool kit.

I know next to nothing about golf. Dad handed down his clubs because he can't play anymore. I know his habit is to spend money on his toys so I assume most of it is decent, where's it fall on the kit envy spectrum?

I know the odyssey 2 ball putter is pretty good, at least.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The titleist wedge is nice….

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

I know next to nothing about golf. Dad handed down his clubs because he can't play anymore. I know his habit is to spend money on his toys so I assume most of it is decent, where's it fall on the kit envy spectrum?

I’m pretty sure I recognise your name and av from the Eve thread. Spreadsheets and golf go hand in hand.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Those are great, more or less top of the line from 15-20 years ago and the wedge and putter are still offered now.

As someone said to me at the start of last season, re-grip em and rip em!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oodles posted:

I’m pretty sure I recognise your name and av from the Eve thread. Spreadsheets and golf go hand in hand.

I haven't played EVE in years. It's both cool and kinda embarrassing to be recognized. But yeah I'm surprised I didn't make the connection til now.

Urethane posted:

Those are great, more or less top of the line from 15-20 years ago and the wedge and putter are still offered now.

As someone said to me at the start of last season, re-grip em and rip em!

Neat. I'm definitely channeling maximum Bogey Lowenstein energy.

I took them to the driving range the other day. Hit about 80 balls. About 3 150m drives, about 3ish 125m hits with the hybrids, maybe 4 decent iron hits and one surprisingly straight cracker at about 100m with the 9 iron. All the rest ended up way left or right. There was one absolutely great feeling drive that I never saw come down so that one must have been whacked so hard I sent it straight to heaven. :smuggo:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Back down to the range today to practice with a bunch of different clubs I intend to use when I'm ready to have a crack at a course.

Cold and with a signifcant headwind made for very different conditions to what I'd tried before. It was wet from a bit of sprinkling rain and noisier from the extra attendance. Made it harder to concentrate than on previous visits. Despite that - significant progress. I only whiffed one swing where I missed the ball entirely. At least all the others ended SOMEWHERE down range. I tracked my shots taken, and about 50% of them were mostly straight (straight being - my guess on whether the shot would this land on a decent fairway) I noted down all of my shots and made special note of ones I thought felt good or were particularly straight and got decent height.

According to my notes, the following shots were pretty drat good IMO (these were the ones that felt the best to hit and went the straightest):

with the 58 degree titelist wedge - a 50m shot and 60m shot with a nice high apex.

two 60m shots and a 70m with the gap wedge.

two 60m shots and a 75m with the pitching wedge. Overall consistency was better than with the gap wedge too.

apparently I did better with the 8 iron than I thought, with 4 good shots at 75m, one at 8, and one corker at 100m.

last was the hybrid 4 - only a couple of good ones, one at 110m, and one stunner at 140m.

I'll not discuss the fate of the other 110 balls :v:

actully it wasn't that bad, in total about 40 balls (including the ones above) out of 125 were decent straight shots of good (to me) distance.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah, probably 20 years old, but very good at the time and still fine for learning the game.

If they need regripping amazon sells kits with tape, cutting tool, and grip solvent for as low as ~$30.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
PXG fitting was . . . like every other fitting. I did try a bigger combo of heads/shafts than I expected. I'm trying to access my trackman data now. Looking forward to new clubs, its been five years or so.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Has anyone played in NZ/Tasmania? I am going in a couple months and would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations. Current plan is to play:
- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Omerta posted:

Has anyone played in NZ/Tasmania? I am going in a couple months and would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations. Current plan is to play:
- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

What towns / cities are you going to in NZ? I live here and have played most of the good ones.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Finally played a whole round without losing a ball. Felt good, even though I shot a 104.

I have the week off before I start my new job and had planned to golf a few times. Of course, a huge cold front moves in and mornings are in the 40s

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

What towns / cities are you going to in NZ? I live here and have played most of the good ones.

I don’t know yet. We’re flying into Auckland and just booked the long haul flights, so we still have a lot of flexibility.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Omerta posted:

I don’t know yet. We’re flying into Auckland and just booked the long haul flights, so we still have a lot of flexibility.

I'd suggest getting yourself to Napier to play Cape Kidnapper's and to Queenstown to play Jack's Point / Millbrook / The Hills (if you can get on the last one, it's mostly private, but they do take some bookings).
Napier and Queenstown are also both gorgeous towns, filled with amazing vineyards, too.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I'd suggest getting yourself to Napier to play Cape Kidnapper's and to Queenstown to play Jack's Point / Millbrook / The Hills (if you can get on the last one, it's mostly private, but they do take some bookings).
Napier and Queenstown are also both gorgeous towns, filled with amazing vineyards, too.

Thank you for the recommendations!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Omerta posted:

- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

When you figure out how to get on Royal Melbourne let me know so I can do it when I'm back in Australia next year.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

BCRock posted:

When you figure out how to get on Royal Melbourne let me know so I can do it when I'm back in Australia next year.

Here you go: https://www.royalmelbourne.com.au/visitors/. No guarantee, of course.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Played Barnbougle/Lost Farm twice each. Fantastic courses and the accommodation is top notch also. One day I'll play that course on King Island.

One of my favourite YouTube golf channels, Taco Golf posted this last week. One of the best golf video's I've ever seen because it's just amazing scenery, no talking/personalities and you watch a professional golfer doing his thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp8HmQuAqM

Oh the course is like $400 a round so...yeah.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Went to the range last night, forgot to deselect driver. But the gapping is between my 7 iron and my driver.

7 iron is at about 130-140 yards, at a max ball speed of 88mph.

Driver is 170 yards, at a max ball speed of 118mph.

I feel like this is my limit of my current swing, I know I need to whoosh my wrists as I don’t think I’m using them at all in my swing.

I’ve got an hour lesson on Monday, and normally just get half an hour. So going to ask if I can do half of it on my driver.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omerta posted:

- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

Luke Kwon (Good Good guy) did a travel golf series in New Zealand this year, might be worth it to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7cIy9hO-rUXbUUGFMrNtOQa6FBQ9xeEy

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Omerta posted:

Thank you for the recommendations!

I will add that those courses I recommend are all like NZ $300+ a round. I reckon they’re worth it, but there are a poo poo load of golf courses throughout the country that aren’t the prestige ones if you don’t wanna spend that much. (I still recommend Napier and Queenstown as destinations, just for doing poo poo, and there are other courses there)
I’m not sure if it is still true, but at least at one point, Auckland had the highest per-capita golf courses in the world. You are never more than like 10 minutes drive from a golf course in this city. (Some of them are poo poo :eng101:)

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Could always go to Arrowtown if you're near Queenstown as well. It's really pretty and I think it's next door to the hills?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Omerta posted:

- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

Wow, super jealous.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I played and stayed at Tara iti for a weekend this last april and while the weather was 30-40mph winds both rounds and the golf was kind of poo poo i still had an amazing time there. The course is beautiful, the caddies were exceptional, and the food at the restaurant was as good of a meal i've ever had in my life. I did the once in a lifetime stay and play, so if i ever get back there its going to have to be somewhere else. With that said, it was insanely expensive and by far the biggest splurge i've ever done in my life. Happy to answer any questions

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

First experience of winter golf.

Fuckin miserable. Why do I need to carry this scrap of mat with me; why are the greens in stupid places and each shot on the frozen fairway bounces for miles.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oodles posted:

First experience of winter golf.

Fuckin miserable. Why do I need to carry this scrap of mat with me; why are the greens in stupid places and each shot on the frozen fairway bounces for miles.

I'm sitting waiting for the golf course to make the call on if they'll be open. They said they'd decide 30 minutes before the first tee time. I live 45 minutes away. So, I'm dressed and ready to drive back home.

P.S. I love winter golf.

Edit: Updated voice message says, open, frost but unlikely to affect first tee time. I'm sitting 5 minutes from the course, it's 935, so I go to the course. I walk in and they then say, frost at least an hour delay. I can't tee off an hour later so I cancel.

They don't have understand that I'm not irritated at frost delay, but the fact that they basically waited until 15 minutes before my time to let me know of a huge delay. Argh.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 1, 2023

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
It’s just a little soggy here in STL right now but I’ve had the course to myself the past week or so. As an added bonus the computers seem to be down each time I go so I’ve been getting waved through by the cool GM

I have my twee little Sunday bag and went with 4, 7, 52*, and putter and had a grand old time switching it up. It has made me play a bunch of little bump and runners instead of the instinctive 60, though I would appreciate its high bounce, and results have been for the better because duh it makes for much easier shots

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Did my first full 18 holes today. Shot 91.

it was a Par 3 course

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Omerta posted:

- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

Speak of the devil, I just got back from New Zealand for a wedding today actually and I managed to sneak some golf in. I played Tara Iti, Te Arai (both North and South Course), and Jacks Point down in Queenstown. Tara Iti is probably my favorite course I have ever played (I'd probably put it above Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Cabot Cliffs/Links, and Pinehurst #2 which are probably the nicest courses I've played). There are no two ways about it that course is absolutely spectacular. I don't think there is a single hole I didn't like and the scenery is stunning. We actually booked the round last January where they still had their policy of every golfer should get to play it at least once, but I gather they were just doing that while trying to reach their membership goal which they did in the late summer and they've now switched over to fully private. We got grandfathered in because we booked so long ago, but you might have trouble getting a booking now from my understanding. They only send 30-50 total golfers out in a day so when you go out there is no one else out there. There aren't even really tee times. We were supposed to go out at 2 but they were like grab lunch, hit balls/putts as long as you want, check out the pro shop, and whenever you want to go out just go out. Everything about that place is just absolutely top notch. Very expensive though, in combination with the pro shop one of the more expensive golf related credit card swipes I've ever had.

The South course was my favorite of the two Te Arai courses. It's just down the road from Tara Iti so similarly gorgeous water views. The facilities at Te Arai were superb. The hotel rooms were beautiful (assuming you're into modern/minimalist), probably the best golf resort beds I've ever been in which is huge after walking 36 if you're doing that, bathrooms were also very nice with great showers which again is appreciated after a long day. Pro Shop game was on point, great swag (arguably better than Tara Iti), you will spend a lot of money there. Not just the pro-shop actually, but everything about Te Arai was expensive, I mentioned Tara Iti being a painful swipe, my wallet was significantly lighter checking out of Te Arai. Each individual round at Te Arai wasn't that much cheaper than Tara Iti, and the rooms weren't exactly cheap either. The Pro Shop and the resort check in are actually in this airy open building attached to the practice area for both the north and south courses so basically immediately from the jump of your experience its golf, golf, golf, again everything was immaculate. As far as the South Course itself goes its a bit newer than Tara Iti and its a resort course vs a private course so its not quite as well manicured and the greens were a bit slower. If anyone has played the Cabot Nova Scotia courses the greens are actually very similar, roll a bit slower than you expect, but LOTS of undulation. I think I'd put South Course above both Cabot courses. There are a few stunning holes on the South Course, I think #4 in particular you stand on the tee box and you just don't want to move.

The North Course was probably my least favorite of the NZ courses I played but it was still very good. It is VERY new, I think it only opened a few months ago. As a result of this virtually everything was very sandy still (from tee, to fairway to green). Greens were the slowest of all the courses I played as a result, but that was probably a good thing as there was by far the most undulation of any of the courses I played, to the point where I think some of them were borderline gimmicky. Like you know how a lot of these resorts put in 18 hole putting courses by the bars/restaurants? Well imagine those style of undulation for laughs but on an actual green. I actually think this was the more challenging of the two Te Arai courses and that is part of the reason, but I think its overall layout was also hard. If you have a windy day, the water holes in particular are very tough but I guess that's true of all links golf. There were a few holes on this course that I think with time will show up in a lot of golf architecture twitter/instagram feeds, very interesting and I don't think I've seen anything like them before. The only downside of the two Te Arai courses I think was the Caddies left A LOT to be desired. Very nice guys, but definitely very green.

Jacks Point down in Queenstown was probably my second favorite course I played down in NZ. It wasn't as well manicured as Tara Iti or the Te Arai courses, it wasn't as true or serious or whatever that means, but you won't care one bit, this course was just down right FUN golf. At multiple points during the round I was just laughing my rear end off at how preposterous this course is. Like one of the tee shots has you hitting over a field of sheep. Another is like a 305 yard waaaaaaaaaay downhill par 4 along a lake which is reachable with a hybrid (my brother blasted a 3 wood like 15 yards over, thankfully he went first). There are skydivers parachuting all around you on holes 2-4 which is adjacent to a skydiving establishment. The surrounding scenery itself is arguably even more spectacular than any of the north island courses. I've never tracked the backdrop of a ball flight against a mountain range versus the sky and you do that on probably 80% of the holes. Almost every hole is interesting or unique, and I usually hate elevation changes on golf courses but for some reason in Jacks Point every single one is entertaining versus annoying. This is a really, really, really good track. If you find yourself in Queenstown definitely go, you won't regret it. The only disappointment was their swag.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 3, 2023

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

Huge detailed post.

This rules, thanks so much for all the detail! Sadly, I found out that Tara Iti no longer accepts non-members, so I’m not making it on there. My NZ network is non-existent.

After talking to the wife, we actually decided to limit the trip to the north island and save Tasmania and the South Island for other trips. I’m a major believer in playing courses multiple times if you can, and it just wasn’t workable to cover that much ground in the time we had. So, after re-configuring, we’re doing:
Te Arai South (2x)
Te Arai North (2x)
Kinloch Club (2x)
Wairakei golf
Cape Kidnappers (2x)

And yeah, those international greens fees are no joke, even with a strong dollar.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Omerta posted:

This rules, thanks so much for all the detail! Sadly, I found out that Tara Iti no longer accepts non-members, so I’m not making it on there. My NZ network is non-existent.

After talking to the wife, we actually decided to limit the trip to the north island and save Tasmania and the South Island for other trips. I’m a major believer in playing courses multiple times if you can, and it just wasn’t workable to cover that much ground in the time we had. So, after re-configuring, we’re doing:
Te Arai South (2x)
Te Arai North (2x)
Kinloch Club (2x)
Wairakei golf
Cape Kidnappers (2x)

And yeah, those international greens fees are no joke, even with a strong dollar.

Nice, you'll have a blast. The only downside I can think of is depending on if you're doing 18 a day vs 36, they only really have one restaurant at Te Arai. Its quite good, but if you're stringing that out over 4 days it could get old. I'm VERY jealous you are doing Cape Kidnappers, I was trying so hard to get my group to make it down towards Napier so I could sneak it in, but we only got as far south a Rotorua on the north island. Please post once you've done the trip so I can live vicariously through you. I have to make it back down to NZ at some point. Gorgeous country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Omerta posted:

Te Arai South (2x)
Te Arai North (2x)
Kinloch Club (2x)
Wairakei golf
Cape Kidnappers (2x)

If you’re playing Cape Kidnappers twice, you’re obviously not hurting for money, so I’d suggest booking accommodation at Craggy Range which is like 5 kms down the road and my favourite vineyard in the whole country.