Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Managed to get the refiner built anyway to give it a try but then I saw that I needed something else for the actual refining and went 'forget this' and abandoned the commission. At least I have the Refiner when I need it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There's no real reason to ever waste the mats refining intermediary stuff. The commissions for it don't even really pay more.

Machines and equipment are well worth, though. For some machines there's a mod for bonus output and equipment gets significantly better all around and has some good stamina mods in the pool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Managed to get the refiner built anyway to give it a try but then I saw that I needed something else for the actual refining and went 'forget this' and abandoned the commission. At least I have the Refiner when I need it though.

refine your tools and machines to purple.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It has been a while since a game has made me go "Wait, it's been two hours?!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

So I got a commission for Copper Bars that I did not realize had a requirement for Perfect quality, and I do not have the refiner yet and I do not know where to get marble (I just gained access to the Breach). Is there any other way to boost item quality, other than starting with better mats? Also, is the Rep penalty for letting the clock run out any different than giving up on the commission?

Thanks for confirming my earlier post about it being possible to get Perfect commissions before you've even built a Refiner! I definitely also had that happen.

I'm pretty sure you want to give up the commission. You only lose 1 rep (with both the person and workshop) which is trivial. I think you might lose more if you let it expire - I had that happen once and I *think* I lost two that way? Not sure though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Lol I went to go bury the time capsule with Mi-an on the same day Nia came to town, so she's just awkwardly off to the side as my builder and Mi-an are posing for the picture.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

It has been a while since a game has made me go "Wait, it's been two hours?!"

I very much like how this game lets you adjust the speed of the days. Now that I'm nearing 600 stamina I set the time to go at 70% and it gives me much more room to talk to people/use all that up every day.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I recently unlocked the thingies to get the Factory and Greenhouse going. The Factory seems straightforward, more or less, if not super useful for actually making stuff, because I make sure to keep a stock of anything that takes time to do. It seems handy for just queuing up the various piles of scrap I've picked up so it'll just handle it, and it's easier than dealing with going down the line of machines. However, I noticed that only a few of the machines were actually working, and I certainly had enough types of scrap in the queue that they all should have been running. I'm not sure what was up with that, but there's a good reason I saved before I started messing with all that.

The utility of the greenhouse depends largely on one question: does it automatically harvest and replant? Just harvest? Neither and I still have to take care of that manually? Because having it automatically water and fertilize stuff, while also boosting the growth speed and yield, are both pretty nice. On paper, anyway. In practice, I have a few 4x4 fields where I just throw in stuff at semi-random, and I have the relevant resources coming out of my ears.

I am getting a rather dim view of the various critter things, because they're too time-consuming and fiddly for the rewards that I get. Once I can have someone else handle them so I don't have to spend an hour of my day petting them, cleaning their poo poo, and gathering their drops, they should be much more useful. Or at least less useless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Do people make an effort to fill out their house stat bonuses? In Portia maxing out your house stamina bonus was really valuable, but the max stam bonus in Sandrock is so small, I haven't really made an effort to fill it, or any of the other stats out. My place is decorated with whatever random junk I found while mining mostly.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The max stats go up as you buy more land. I just made a storage room and threw everything in there, you get so many spare relics and stuff that it's not really hard to keep them all maxed out.

Edit: My factory didn't work at first but after trying a few times it eventually works pretty smoothly now. It's still a mess though, never telling you the failure reason for stuff or even keeping track of the max things you can have going at once. But so convenient. And yeah, the greenhouse is whatever. Free biocrust, but by the time you get it you'll probably have more than enough of the stuff.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

I recently unlocked the thingies to get the Factory and Greenhouse going. The Factory seems straightforward, more or less, if not super useful for actually making stuff, because I make sure to keep a stock of anything that takes time to do. It seems handy for just queuing up the various piles of scrap I've picked up so it'll just handle it, and it's easier than dealing with going down the line of machines. However, I noticed that only a few of the machines were actually working, and I certainly had enough types of scrap in the queue that they all should have been running. I'm not sure what was up with that, but there's a good reason I saved before I started messing with all that.

The utility of the greenhouse depends largely on one question: does it automatically harvest and replant? Just harvest? Neither and I still have to take care of that manually? Because having it automatically water and fertilize stuff, while also boosting the growth speed and yield, are both pretty nice. On paper, anyway. In practice, I have a few 4x4 fields where I just throw in stuff at semi-random, and I have the relevant resources coming out of my ears.

I am getting a rather dim view of the various critter things, because they're too time-consuming and fiddly for the rewards that I get. Once I can have someone else handle them so I don't have to spend an hour of my day petting them, cleaning their poo poo, and gathering their drops, they should be much more useful. Or at least less useless.

My problem with critters is their pens taking up so much room in my already cramped yard.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah I stowed that critter Elsie gave me and gavent looked back because of that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LLSix posted:

Do people make an effort to fill out their house stat bonuses? In Portia maxing out your house stamina bonus was really valuable, but the max stam bonus in Sandrock is so small, I haven't really made an effort to fill it, or any of the other stats out. My place is decorated with whatever random junk I found while mining mostly.

The main house stat bonus worth trying to keep maxed out if possible is damage. Particularly in the early-to-mid game you can basically double the damage you do in combat via furniture buffs.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sydin posted:

Yep, fully upgraded FPG and water tank, the factory UI showed both up in the top right as being there and having available power. :shrug:

Weird. I've had no issues with getting it to work. I love the factory, as it especially makes refining scrap a ton easier. FPG and Water tank are both outdoors, right? That might be the only thing I can think of. The interior console is in the same room as your machines as well, right?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The issue I had with the factory was that I picked up my machines and carried them inside one at a time without putting them in my inventory. This caused the factory to not recognise them correctly, but as soon as I picked up each one, pressed T to put it in inventory, and put it back down, they worked fine. When the factory recognises a new machine it draws a temporary glowing blue line on the floor from the console to the machine.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
My issue with the factory is that it still counts as your home even if it’s a detached building, causing NPC pathing to spaz out.

I was yesterday years old when I realized that the name display at the top of the shared chest inventory screen was a drop-down menu. I’ve been going through chests via the 1/3 keys all this time whenever I was looking for items or adding something new autosort couldn’t handle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

GotLag posted:

The issue I had with the factory was that I picked up my machines and carried them inside one at a time without putting them in my inventory. This caused the factory to not recognise them correctly, but as soon as I picked up each one, pressed T to put it in inventory, and put it back down, they worked fine. When the factory recognises a new machine it draws a temporary glowing blue line on the floor from the console to the machine.

Ah, that makes sense!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Man, being married to Heidi makes everything feel incredibly corrupt.

Why, yes, I will take on this super big project my wife has set up and will pay me out for. And then I'll pick up four side commissions for her and just before we get into bed at night I'll pass her the finished products and she'll give me 6000 gols and I'm sure that's all fine and on the up and up

Edit: why would you even think this is corrupt as I get paid out for work by my wife, my father-in-law, and my father-in-law's best friend who all just happen to need materials I already have

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 27, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yan was like a little baby when it came to real corruption

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Man, being married to Heidi makes everything feel incredibly corrupt.

Why, yes, I will take on this super big project my wife has set up and will pay me out for. And then I'll pick up four side commissions for her and just before we get into bed at night I'll pass her the finished products and she'll give me 6000 gols and I'm sure that's all fine and on the up and up

Edit: why would you even think this is corrupt as I get paid out for work by my wife, my father-in-law, and my father-in-law's best friend who all just happen to need materials I already have

To be fair, the jobs are posted publicly, and the payout is handled by your guild rather than your wife directly. It's just abstracted a bit for gameplay reasons, but that's why befriending Yan gives you that bonus % income.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Got to the end of the Main Story. Oof, they really went all out on providing closure with all of your buddies at the end there. Feeling very bittersweet!

It all felt very this

Don't forget to talk to everyone and check the Bronco room in the Inn.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Listened to Owen's Story once. - 2.8% of players have achieved this

Rude!

Also it says only 0.1% of players have achieved the highest ranking on all Hazardous Ruins, which seems really hard to believe.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Rude!

Also it says only 0.1% of players have achieved the highest ranking on all Hazardous Ruins, which seems really hard to believe.

The hazardous ruins achievement was broken until the last patch rolled out.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Rude!

It's up to 4.9% now that it's "fixed", but I think they broke it the other way - I have it, and I never went through the last Hazardous Ruin level, because it was offering me literally nothing of value for an annoying timed platformer.

Edit: Finally finished it myself, letting the endless credits for kickstarter backers run in the background. Took me until Day 2 of Spring, Year 3 to finish the main plot, and ~190 hours of game, which is insane amounts. And there's temptation to go back and finish the couple of side quests I never got to, and to continue raising my child until he's out of swaddling clothes and I can see his hair color, at least. Just an absolute charm of a game.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 28, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How old can your child get?

One thing that concerns me a bit is that, if I wait too long, I'll only be married for a short time before finishing the main plot (since I know I won't want to keep playing much after that).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

How old can your child get?

One thing that concerns me a bit is that, if I wait too long, I'll only be married for a short time before finishing the main plot (since I know I won't want to keep playing much after that).

I think they go from newborn (confined to cradle or the middle of the city square), to toddler (crawls around the house), to young kid (walks around the house and city).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What kind of accent is Catori's voice actress doing? I can't quite place it because it feels subtle while still being noticeable (I don't like her accent :( )

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

What kind of accent is Catori's voice actress doing? I can't quite place it because it feels subtle while still being noticeable (I don't like her accent :( )

I think she might be just a smidge... Brooklyn, maybe? I thought it was fine. Amirah and Arvio are way too much for me, though. And Haru's lines sound there were recorded in a closet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Megazver posted:

I think she might be just a smidge... Brooklyn, maybe? I thought it was fine. Amirah and Arvio are way too much for me, though. And Haru's lines sound there were recorded in a closet.

Yeah, it's like very subtle so its hard for me to get a good read on it. At various times I've guessed everything from Brooklyn to Boston to generic midwest accent. If anything, I find myself annoyed that it is more on the subtle side as I am distracted trying to place it ever time she talks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm surprised by how many people in this thread seem to be new "My Time" enjoyers. I was one of those people that played Portia shortly after launch (and then again a couple years later). I feel like Portia was and is, even for all its rough edges, one of the best games in the cozy/farm/factory sim genre.

That being said, goddamn Sandrock gives a good first impression. I'm only about a week into the game and I'm having a blast. My wife and I are both playing on PC and every 10 minutes or so, one of us leans over to the other one to be like "Oh poo poo! Look at this cool feature!"

Game is good.

socialsecurity posted:

I very much like how this game lets you adjust the speed of the days. Now that I'm nearing 600 stamina I set the time to go at 70% and it gives me much more room to talk to people/use all that up every day.

The ability to adjust the speed of time passing is amazing. I cranked it to 60% because majority of the time when my wife and I are each playing, we're pretty zooted so this gives us the opportunity go get distracted, do dumb stuff, and not feel like we're loving ourselves over.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

Amirah and Arvio have a made up accent the VAs invented for themselves. However it seems like they kind of forgot it between sessions and makes it even less consistent.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Half of the achievements didn't exist until launch and didn't trigger retroactively for early access players.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
There's some striking tonal whiplash in the game, swerving between whimsical humor to deep meloncholy. I get to witness some buddy comedy between Justice and Unsuur then I turn in a random photograph I found in the trash to Mort and he goes all "Man I tell you what builder bout there-that dang ol meaning o’life, man. It’s like this man. You’ like a butterfly flappin ‘is wings deep down in that forest man an’ it gonna cause a tree fall like five thousand miles away man. If-an ain’t no body see it nobody don-done-e’en know it happen you know ibda baby born into this world int’know neck god dang friends got no nothin but da go come into find out about em ol evil man. Man see like, you don even know man. When-dyagon it’d like you born into this world man and you got — it’s like this: dust in the wind man, or like a dang ol’ candle in the wind man. You gon — it don matter man it’s not the old oldies all th’ time man. You know what I think man? It’d like the the dang ol – I think therefore you are man."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Panfilo posted:

There's some striking tonal whiplash in the game, swerving between whimsical humor to deep meloncholy.

Yeah. It loving rules.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
life is tonal whiplash

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally finished the main story, it's insane just how much content there is in this bad boy. That said I could definitely feel it running out of steam in the late goings, the final commission in particular was a bit of a disappointment after being hyped up as "legendary" it needed a paltry amount of components, seriously four nanosheets? Huge letdown after Portia's final builder bout which absolutely tested even late game resource capacity. Also sucks you don't get any cool endgame vehicle or contraption like the Flying Pig. I also managed to bug the hell out of the last couple days by inadvertently scheduling my wedding on top of a major story beat, but oh well. Great stuff, hopefully we get a 1.1 or 1.2 patch that touches up the endgame somewhat, making the last tier of materials actually relevant for anything and expanding on some of the empty areas like the canyon behind the sunken ship ruins and the path off to the left of the bend.

Or as Cooper would call it (minor spoilers, kinda):

:allears:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 29, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I'm surprised by how many people in this thread seem to be new "My Time" enjoyers. I was one of those people that played Portia shortly after launch (and then again a couple years later). I feel like Portia was and is, even for all its rough edges, one of the best games in the cozy/farm/factory sim genre.

That being said, goddamn Sandrock gives a good first impression. I'm only about a week into the game and I'm having a blast. My wife and I are both playing on PC and every 10 minutes or so, one of us leans over to the other one to be like "Oh poo poo! Look at this cool feature!"

I think there are two main reasons this is the first "life sim" game I've been able to enjoy:
- QoL stuff like all storage being linked, being able to use stuff in storage for crafting/commissions, and being able to automatically empty everything in your inventory into storage. Plus mission/commission stuff being highlighted when you use machines.
- I like the 3d visuals and general art style more than the 2d of stuff like Stardew. It's nice having these cute cutscenes and stuff during missions.

Panfilo posted:

There's some striking tonal whiplash in the game, swerving between whimsical humor to deep meloncholy. I get to witness some buddy comedy between Justice and Unsuur then I turn in a random photograph I found in the trash to Mort and he goes all "Man I tell you what builder bout there-that dang ol meaning o’life, man. It’s like this man. You’ like a butterfly flappin ‘is wings deep down in that forest man an’ it gonna cause a tree fall like five thousand miles away man. If-an ain’t no body see it nobody don-done-e’en know it happen you know ibda baby born into this world int’know neck god dang friends got no nothin but da go come into find out about em ol evil man. Man see like, you don even know man. When-dyagon it’d like you born into this world man and you got — it’s like this: dust in the wind man, or like a dang ol’ candle in the wind man. You gon — it don matter man it’s not the old oldies all th’ time man. You know what I think man? It’d like the the dang ol – I think therefore you are man."

The Mort photos are a bummer because he starts talking about how everyone, including Mason, was basically like ourself and our various friends, but they were ultimately crushed by reality and left with a broken spirit.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 29, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ytlaya posted:

The Mort photos are a bummer because he starts talking about how everyone, including Mason, was basically like ourself and our various friends, but they were ultimately crushed by reality and left with a broken spirit.

Skill issue.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Could someone explain step by step how the factory works cause I'm not getting it and searching for a good guide on the internet these days is a problem.

I tell it to do things but only one machine if any seems to be doing anything?

Edit: nvm, works now. weird.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well, finished the main story at 107ish hours. Act 3 was a looooot longer than I thought and fixed some of the things I was missing earlier. Really, really impressed with how good the game was.