Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Sinister is one of the few movies that actually unnerved me. The videos did a really good job of being unsettling.

The Ring is another of the very few that have that effect on me, maybe I'm just scared of old media formats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey so Evilspeak basically makes the case for Satan worship, huh?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Ethan Hawke and James Ransone are such an incredible pairing that it's a shame they've only done the handful of movies together.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Patrick Wilson's ok but any time I'm watching Insidious movies, I'm checking my watch for when it's Lin Shaye O Clock.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The most terrifying thing I've seen Patrick Wilson in is the love scene in Watchmen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Medullah posted:

Sinister is one of the few movies that actually unnerved me. The videos did a really good job of being unsettling.

The Ring is another of the very few that have that effect on me, maybe I'm just scared of old media formats

Cursed videos. You can usually find them all over message boards and the Ring itself probably drew from the surrealist cursed videos of the 70s. Begotten/Belladonna of Sadness/The Forbidden Room are more overt with it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i do love a good piece of Cursed Media in storytelling. video, book, double lp

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Patrick Wilson brought some great manic energy to In the Tall Grass imo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Medullah posted:

The most terrifying thing I've seen Patrick Wilson in is the love scene in Watchmen

Lol

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

i do love a good piece of Cursed Media in storytelling. video, book, double lp

This is me. I'll suffer through most anything with the 'cursed media' premise, unless it's a tedious YouTube video where someone writes a lovely story about a Q*bert cabinet where he's got realistic bloodshot eyes. But in 'real', serious media, I'm allllll over it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This is me. I'll suffer through most anything with the 'cursed media' premise, unless it's a tedious YouTube video where someone writes a lovely story about a Q*bert cabinet where he's got realistic bloodshot eyes. But in 'real', serious media, I'm allllll over it.

yep same. and I’ll even watch the YouTube video

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I guess we need to create one of those best of 2023 polls and then when people vote I'll add that movie to the original op. That way people can know the most popular movie this year.

My vote is actually on M3gan because its just a fun movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched X. Not bad, but I think it would have been better if it was less elevated.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

How do I vote down Megan into the dirt

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

yep same. and I’ll even watch the YouTube video

Oh you hosed up buddy

Your post has summed Q*bert, but not any normal Q*bert like you know...

Your post has summoned a hyper-realistic Q*bert standing in the darkness, and when I say hyper-realistic, I mean like he looked so real you could actually see the lines in his orange-rear end skin, as if you could actually feel the orange if you touched the screen.

His face… oh god, he had the most horrifying smile you've ever seen.

And that’s saying something.

His eyes are wide and black and once again crying blood (Which also looks hyper-realistic) and there were two big weird pupils staring RIGHT AT YOU, as if staring into your mind. His grin was wide and demonic, it literally stretched to the sides of his face like a Cheshire Cat except Q*bert doesn't have a face so whatever, much like the Sonic Werehog’s teeth except more vicious-looking, somewhat yellowish and from the look of it, he had stains of blood and small bits of flesh smeared all over him as if he ate some animal.

If you don't post this post in ten threads before midnight, you'll be booped by Q*bert or whatever he does I didn't play the game IDK but it's going to be very bad.

Q*bert drowned

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
M3GAN was fine I don't think it's even close to being the best horror this year

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Doltos posted:

Yeah basically this. It was a decent amount of fun, but maybe if I saw it at the cinema instead of at home I'd understand the hype more

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, the cinema experience was amazing, and I'm also on board with Gerard Johnstone's particular brand of offbeat satire and tension. Housebound was similarly charming, and M3GAN had even more energy than that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

For real lmao. When Evil Lurks. It has fun mean moments

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I liked when m3gan did tiktok dances down the hallway in a scary way

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

M3gan made it into my top 5 with the bonus that the whole lullaby sequence is probably the hardest I laughed at a movie this year.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Speaking of cursed media, just saw Pontypool for the first time and holy loving poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Miyazaki film?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not sure how many of those Conjuring/Nun/Anabelle movies I've seen, it's been a while. They're all in the same universe if I remember right. What I do remember is that I thought The Conjuring 2 was by far and away the best out of all of them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

married but discreet posted:

Speaking of cursed media, just saw Pontypool for the first time and holy loving poo poo.

I had slept on that for years and years, only watched it within the last year :

Holy loving poo poo is loving right.

Just a really cool, original idea done well.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pontypool rules. I’d take another movie in that world from the outside perspective. It just seems like you could do a lot of interesting things with it for exactly 2 more movies and then no more.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can we get this cat a thread life time achievement award or something.

Is that a thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There is a supposed sequel that's been "in development" for 14 years or so. There's also a spinoff with Juliette Lewis and Henry Rollins that involves a vampire.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HAM is JAM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do this all the time in my head

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Baron von Eevl posted:

There is a supposed sequel that's been "in development" for 14 years or so. There's also a spinoff with Juliette Lewis and Henry Rollins that involves a vampire.

Right. It’s like the fever dream of a character and has nothing to do with the events of Pontypool,.

That’s not what I want. Definitely not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

seriously, Pontypool Changes hasn't been made yet? I assumed it must've come out awhile ago and not been any good, that's why I never heard anyone talk about it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just watched Shivers for the first time since I saw it's about to leave MUBI.

The only thing I knew about it was one of my professors repeatedly telling me that it was his sexual awakening (this conversation shouldn't have happened, but also he probably shouldn't have been out drunk at 2 am at a students bar).

Having now seen it: well, who wouldn't agree to a kiss with Barbara Steele despite the consequences? Aside from that, though, I don't know what the gently caress my professor was talking about.

I'm not really a horror movie fan, but this seems well-shot for the time and remains suspenseful at times. Joe Silver and the 1970s version of Adam Driver (whoever that was playing Tudor) were pretty good, but in general I was underwhelmed by the performances. It was less gross than I feared going in, fortunately. I wasn't very impressed by the special effects, but I'm not sure how they compare with their contemporaries.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Last I heard, which was many years ago, Bruce said funding for it kept falling through and he started picking up tv work which kept him busy. There are parts of the book that would make for a great movie set in the same world but the book itself is pretty incoherent.

I legit didn't know Dreamland was a spinoff. That was not great despite looking pretty good on paper.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Just watched The Doom Generation, which honestly with the amount of splatter as well as that final act totally counts as horror, or at least it's adjacent enough that it would have counted for the October challenge. I may have a new favorite 90s movie. It felt like the unholy combination of John Waters and Peter Greenaway. Equal parts stunningly beautiful, poignant, sharp, and deeply deeply stupid. And Rose McGowan is unbelievable in it. I can't even call it dated because the dialogue was so alien I doubt it felt real even when it was contemporary. The Mortal Kombat scene was spectacular.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

surf rock posted:

I'm not really a horror movie fan,.

We’re gonna make you one 😈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Oh you hosed up buddy