Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why would you pay for something with ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah especially cuz the best streaming service (tubi) is already free with ads

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I would be ok with the Hulu ads if they weren't double the volume holy poo poo that sucks

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

holy poo poo the Paramount Plus xbox app has become insanely unusable since I last was subscribed about a year ago.

I have to hope this is somehow related to high traffic + influx of black friday deal people or something, but I'm basically entirely unable to do anything but watch an entire episode of a show without pausing or attempting to change any settings or anything. If I successfully pause I can't unpause, and it'll lose my place if I exit out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just saying the same thing about the pS5 app. It’s barely functional

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The AppleTV version of the app has also been trash since day one. I think it's a universal Paramount+ problem.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

during thxgiving my go to recommendation has been Scavengers Reign

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah it’s good, and different as hell. Breath of fresh air imo. And the giraud style trippy sci fi art is amazing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I forgot, is it even possible to get Hulu without ads? I thought their tiers were “ads, fewer ads”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes but it's pricey and getting pricier this month.

Tbh to me it feels like ads have proved more lucrative than subscription costs, because it really seems like these companies are not pushing their no ad tiers at this point.

I think the one that still shows ads at the highest tier is Peacock.

mystes
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Yes but it's pricey and getting pricier this month.

Tbh to me it feels like ads have proved more lucrative than subscription costs, because it really seems like these companies are not pushing their no ad tiers at this point.

I think the one that still shows as at the highest tier is Peacock.
It seems like the approach they're all taking is adding more ads and then increasing the price of the ad free tiers so they win either way

You would think that at some point they're going to lose subscribers this way, but I guess it somehow still hasn't gotten bad enough that most people have bothered figuring out how to start pirating stuff again

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tiny Timbs posted:

I forgot, is it even possible to get Hulu without ads? I thought their tiers were “ads, fewer ads”
Literally, no, effectively, yes. The ad free tier has an ad at the start of, I think, three shows: Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, and How to get away with murder. So unless you want to watch two long-ended shows and another show that should have ended a decade ago, ad free means ad free.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s also theoretically a Hulu no-ads and Disney+ no-ads bundle but it’s only available if you subscribe from the Disney side. If you subscribe from Hulu, it’s not available, you can just pay a couple of bucks for Disney+ with ads. It’s a mess over there.

And yes, Hulu no-ads is up to $18 a month which is not cheap. But we actually do watch a decent number of shows on Hulu so we keep it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the majority of our house streaming is Hulu these days. If it ever fluctuates though, we're dumping it immediately.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Are people sticking with the Monster show? I found the first episode OK but the CGI was kinda bad and took me out of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched the first two and mostly enjoyed them, then I forgot it existed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mcmagic posted:

Are people sticking with the Monster show? I found the first episode OK but the CGI was kinda bad and took me out of it.

I got through 3 episodes. It's ok. Basically it replicates the exact dynamic of watching Godzillas as a kid: the people are talking and I'm wondering when Godzilla is gonna show up and do something cool.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The Modern Leper posted:

The Killer was fun, and I appreciate that they were able to meet the platform mandate of a decent hallway fight.

I finally saw it too, after a friend reported being unable to get through the initial talky section.

I enjoyed it, although it's arguably in the category of "well made but ultimately slight" films. And I wonder what a version that didn't have the constant narration would be like.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 27, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Beavis and butthead reboot season 2 is somehow better than the first one

I'm honestly impressed how well they threaded the needle. Beavis and Butthead as a youtube commentary channel was an obvious move, I suppose.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

nonathlon posted:

I finally saw it too, after a friend reported being unable to get through the initial talky section.

I enjoyed it, although it's arguably in the category of "well made but ultimately slight" films. And I wonder what a version that didn't have the constant narration would be like.

I thought about that, too. I think without the narration it would basically be a silent film. Not necessarily worse though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nonathlon posted:

I was a little prepared by some favorable reviews, but I think the narration tips into comedy. The turning point for me was the scene where he visits his lawyer: the voiceover times out that he has six or seven minutes to get the information he needs out of the guy, who immediately dies.

The whole movie is basically 90+ minutes of that scene where Daffy Duck as Robin Hood tries to figure out why his staffwork isn't working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9vaNS3b0s

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of which, Max is deep-sixing its Looney Tunes archives at the end of this year

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

speaking of which, Max is deep-sixing its Looney Tunes archives at the end of this year

That's too bad, I was going through those this summer after a big mushroom trip. Some of them are really good.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Oxxidation posted:

Turns out this was either a mistake or they got complained at a lot

https://www.avclub.com/max-dumping-looney-tunes-adult-swim-1851051978

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

Turns out this was either a mistake or they got complained at a lot

Yeah, they can feel the wind turning.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Looney Toons is historic media and should be available somewhere at all times, the government should subsidize it if need be

e Day Shift, on Netflix, is bad, but the shot at 05:22 is cool.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 28, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Looney Toons is historic media and should be available somewhere at all times, the government should subsidize it if need be

The Library of Congress needs a free streaming service.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inspector Hound posted:

The larger half of it def ought to be in the public domain by now.

Same with the mouse, of course.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Steamboat Willie will be entering public domain next year. It's going to be fascinating watching this happen to more and more recognizable things, or seeing what will be memorable and recognizable at all.

quote:

Steamboat Willie isn’t the first notable work to enter the public domain, nor will it be the last. In 2023 alone, the last stories featuring Sherlock Holmes became available, as did the earliest adventures of the Hardy Boys, and the groundbreaking films Metropolis and The Jazz Singer. The original story of Winnie-the-Pooh, written by A. A. Milne and English and E. H. Shepard, entered the public domain in 2022. The move effectively ended Disney’s exclusive use of the character, which led to a low-budget horror movie Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey.

For longstanding media companies, like Disney and Warner Bros, managing copyrights and preserving the rights to intellectual properties worth billions will continue to be a challenge. In the next decade, early versions of franchise-leading characters such as Superman, Batman, Donald Duck, The Hobbit, and James Bond are all head into the public domain.

I want to quote the whole article. I also want my Metropolis remake and Hardy Boys movies/series.

feedmyleg posted:

I laughed, but then this crept up into my brain as a good idea. There's probably a lot of stuff that has only limited physical and/or digital availability. If its movies are America's only real culture, we might as well be able to watch them.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 28, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Steamboat Willie will be entering public domain next year. It's going to be fascinating watching this happen to more and more recognizable things, or seeing what will be memorable and recognizable at all

Batman and Superman are coming up soon. That's gonna be a weird time. Mockbusters using the original IP, but not using trademarked names and not using anything established outside of the first year of issues. The Arthur Conan Doyal estate's aggressive policy on not letting Sherlock Holmes have emotions without licensing the later stories shows just how aggressive the current rightsholders will be.

Can't wait for gun-weilding Batman and building-leaping Superman who both just fight mobsters down at the docks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Superguy jumping over buildings to beat up landlords

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Batman and Superman are coming up soon. That's gonna be a weird time. Mockbusters using the original IP, but not using trademarked names and not using anything established outside of the first year of issues. The Arthur Conan Doyal estate's aggressive policy on not letting Sherlock Holmes have emotions without licensing the later stories shows just how aggressive the current rightsholders will be.

Can't wait for gun-weilding Batman and building-leaping Superman who both just fight mobsters down at the docks.

Isn't there a Frank Miller book where Batman is old so he just guns people down, we do need a movie of that. The closest we have is Kick-rear end, available right now on Prime, but you have to pay for it even with a stupid subscription.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
We're just going to get dumb poo poo like that Winnie the Pooh slasher.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Legitimately, yes. Moreover, so should all of the Public Broadcasting Service.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Schwarzwald posted:

Legitimately, yes. Moreover, so should all of the Public Broadcasting Service.

PBS has a streaming service, which is mostly free. It's $5/month for the whole thing, though.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

PBS has a streaming service, which is mostly free. It's $5/month for the whole thing, though.

Thanks to the support of viewers like you.

PBS Passport has actually been a really great help in my attempt to put more non-fiction into my children's television time and slow down the attention bombardment. Kids eat up stuff like Nova and Nature and Rick Steve's more than you'd think.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

live with fruit posted:

We're just going to get dumb poo poo like that Winnie the Pooh slasher.

That movie did so well in theaters (like 6 million dollars on a 300,000 total budget) that the creators have promised not only a sequel, but a full universe.

We are gonna get a steamboat Willie movie where he's stalking and killing passengers on a steamboat, almost certainly.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

KittyEmpress posted:

We are gonna get a steamboat Willie movie where he's stalking and killing passengers on a steamboat, almost certainly.

Mickey traveling upriver in search of the legendary Agent Pete
“Never get off the boat, Minnie”

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

We need a Willie origin story. How'd he get the steamboat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Screamboat Kill-ie