Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

skeleton warrior posted:

It's not in the map overlays, it's in one of the big four buttons on the bottom of the map, the "Politics" button. The first sub-button lets you build construction/government/rails; the second sub-button lets you lay down decrees; the third sub-button has a "set production standards" which automatically sets all production in the next state you click to the "standard" that you last made.

nice, thank you!

even tells you what it'll change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

alcaras posted:

More noob questions:
1. is protectorate / dominion / puppet / annex less infamy overall than conquer outright? just takes longer since you have to wait 5 years between each phase and GPs might hop in? or is it more infamy just spread out?
2. is there a way to cancel a peace deal? accidentally proposed white peace
3. what causes interests to randomly disappear? i didn't cancel them but have to keep readding them
4. noob mapi question -- say i have coal+wood+iron in one state (e.g. pennsylvania) is it better to make explosives in that state, or is it better to make them where i have sulfur mines, or does it not matter? why?
5. any tips for electrification? feels very micromanagement heavy now that it's a local good -- or should i not expect to electrify every state?
6. do folks use auto-expand? if so for what and when?
7. is there a way to auto swap newly conquered land to the correct PMs? it's tedious having to update

1. Yeah, I think so
2. Nope, be careful with that peace screen
5. Electrify what needs electrifying. You probably don't need to electrify everywhere right away, focus on the industries and states that'll gain the most from it
6. I use auto-expand on railways, and also on my most profitable buildings that are basically guaranteed to keep pulling in the big bucks no matter how big they get
7. No, but it's pretty quick to skim the Buildings screen and look for anything that doesn't match the PMs you have set everywhere else.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Love when my army refuses to walk through the territory of my puppet to go to war and just has to sit landlocked twiddling their thumbs during a major war. What the gently caress is this?

You can't send troops through anyone's territory unless they actually joined the war. If they're not in the war, they're neutral, and neutrals don't let belligerents send troops through their land.

Only the less-autonomous subject types (like puppets or vassals) will automatically join your wars. The more autonomous ones, like dominions, won't automatically cooperate with your military matters, so you have to sway them into the diplomatic play like anyone else. If you want them to be guaranteed to join your war (and therefore let you invade through them), you have to make them a puppet or vassal. Colonial countries are dominions, who are militarily independent.

You can always drive down relations and use Violate Sovereignty.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I have run out of oil. Absent procuring more, how can should I evaluate which PMs are not worth using oil on? See whether swapping off them makes a profit? Some other method?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I always felt it was better to run power plants off of coal. Besides, oil as power plant fuel is a bit of an anachronism because it's not until like the 1970's that oil reached parity with coal in the USA, let alone other countries that aren't nearly as oil rich.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vizuyos posted:

Only the less-autonomous subject types (like puppets or vassals) will automatically join your wars. The more autonomous ones, like dominions, won't automatically cooperate with your military matters, so you have to sway them into the diplomatic play like anyone else. If you want them to be guaranteed to join your war (and therefore let you invade through them), you have to make them a puppet or vassal. Colonial countries are dominions, who are militarily independent.

I do think this is a localization/theming mis-step, given that the canonical "dominion" status was in V3 terms somewhere around customs union + autosway.

alcaras posted:

I have run out of oil. Absent procuring more, how can should I evaluate which PMs are not worth using oil on? See whether swapping off them makes a profit? Some other method?

Profit indicator is probably a decent proxy. Practically, it's a question of what combos it's "safe" to have lower or more labor-intensive production in. Speaking from lategame US experience, that's probably either motor industries or power plants, which fortunately are your top two--motor industries beyond a certain point produces only optional military supplies and some fragment of SoL growth above 15, meanwhile power plants (while this is an electricity per plant reducer and therefore second-order a labor force sapper) can make use of the large amounts of coal mining you built up before the electricity transition.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 28, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

alcaras posted:

4. noob mapi question -- say i have coal+wood+iron in one state (e.g. pennsylvania) is it better to make explosives in that state, or is it better to make them where i have sulfur mines, or does it not matter? why?
Others have answered the other questions, but this is one is interesting- you need to consider a number of things- raw resources, population, and what you will build there in the future and what those industries need.

You can build your steel factories in a province with coal and iron and there's good synergy there. Or you can build your steel in your big industrial province where you'll be building your tools and engines and so on, even if there's no coal or iron there at all.

If all your sulfur provinces are relatively rural, maybe you can make a fertilizer factory there, and an explosives factory, and whatever else, but maybe that'll be more than the population of that state can support. Maybe you just mine sulfur there and have an explosives factory and the rest of the chain in another more populous industrialized province with mines/construction industries/whatever else you use explosives for.

If you have a high-population state that also has all the requisite raw resources, specialize away. Otherwise, you'll have to make tradeoffs between industrial centers and resource gathering hinterlands.

I really like the local resource prices! There's a lot of stuff to consider, but it's all intuitive and logical. You've hit on the least intuitive part I've found- building factories you have no resources for, but will eventually consume in that province is just as good an idea as building a whole industry from scratch in a resource rich province.

Edit: And just to emphasize the basic concept- yes, if you've got the pop, an explosives factory will be better in a sulfur province where sulfur is cheaper. Just pay attention to how much of each resource an industry consumes if you need to balance multiple inputs. On the build screen it predicts how profitable a factory will be. That's the best way to figure if you actually have a significant local price advantage.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 28, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah MAPI is legit cool but migration issues do make it kinda dicey to really concentrate everything on one state if you're playing a smaller power

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Wiz posted:

I'm planning to expand this interaction to be able to offer money as a sweetener as well, just didn't have time for 1.5 since it'll require quite a bit of AI tuning to ensure you can't buy all of Poland from Russia Vicky 1 style.

pls allow migrations back in. You guys had a pretty nifty system in beta - makes me wish I played in the new world back then.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah im not sure why they got rid of auto-expand on power plants when that's way more useful now than it was before when you'd just mash 200 plants into Megacity One and call it a day

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pretty sure that was unintentional though it does seem weird that option just got removed from existence

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does number of radicals actually effect gameplay?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Increases turmoil and the radicalism of political movements. So, lower tax, construction, migration, higher mortality, and a higher likelihood that doing anything politically ambitious will provoke a civil war.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Also affects interest group approval, percentage of loyalists in an interest group increases the groups approval, percentage of radicals decreases the groups approval.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Yeah, I'm definitely still wrapping my head around how best to deal with radicals.

My last run with Brazil made me low-key hate the Rural Folk. They wound up getting a loving Autocrat leader, starting a very radical movement for Protectionism, and supported returning to Wealth Voting!
loving temporarily embarrassed landowners!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If you manage to get a high number of loyalists it's amazing what you can get away with politically. I've seen numbers like +8 interest group happiness which can cover a multitude of sins. It's often worth it to sacrifice law progress when you get big +loyalist options.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If you manage to get a high number of loyalists it's amazing what you can get away with politically. I've seen numbers like +8 interest group happiness which can cover a multitude of sins. It's often worth it to sacrifice law progress when you get big +loyalist options.

One of the biggest reasons communism is so busted. Everyone is super happy, all the time.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
The next hotfix (1.5.10) should drop tomorrow according to the official discord. Hopefully it's gonna fix the migration issue, among other things. I still had fun with my Gran Colombia run but it did sting a bit that even with the "Populate South America" button I could not get close to reaching the target population number by the end date.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:thunk:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schnitzler posted:

The next hotfix (1.5.10) should drop tomorrow according to the official discord. Hopefully it's gonna fix the migration issue, among other things. I still had fun with my Gran Colombia run but it did sting a bit that even with the "Populate South America" button I could not get close to reaching the target population number by the end date.

Yeah I never really had major workforce problems as Gran Columbia, but it seems like actually completing that journal entry was completely impossible. The target it wanted me to hit was something like 33 million and even with slamming that button every time it was available, and an average SOL above 20, full free speech, multiculturalism, etc., I only got to about 18M by the end date.

Which ideology gets that flag for the US? I've never seen it before.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Which ideology gets that flag for the US? I've never seen it before.

They're a Presidential Dictatorship.

Led by John Calhoun on behalf of the Planters for a while, but it looks like the Industrialists (Roosevelt) are in ascendancy now.

Kind of a reactionary shithole if I'm honest. It's 1899.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
that's a planter coup usa. many such cases

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mandoric posted:

I do think this is a localization/theming mis-step, given that the canonical "dominion" status was in V3 terms somewhere around customs union + autosway.

Profit indicator is probably a decent proxy. Practically, it's a question of what combos it's "safe" to have lower or more labor-intensive production in. Speaking from lategame US experience, that's probably either motor industries or power plants, which fortunately are your top two--motor industries beyond a certain point produces only optional military supplies and some fragment of SoL growth above 15, meanwhile power plants (while this is an electricity per plant reducer and therefore second-order a labor force sapper) can make use of the large amounts of coal mining you built up before the electricity transition.

The British Dominions in most of Vicky weren’t nearly that autonomous. Canada NZ, and Australia joined every war Britain commanded automatically, for example. This lasts until 1931. The main difference in practice was settler colonies instead of extraction colonies, and got the local vote.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Will my country ever automatically look for export routes for excess goods?

Alternatively, will foreign countries ever try to set up import routes if they can get a good price?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

No and yes, respectively. Generally, for other countries to import from you, either their options need to be very limited or your price needs to be low enough to be 'copper'.

It does help to eliminate the export tariff.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Flipping on electricity isn't a simple process, huh? Jesus.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Flipping on electricity isn't a simple process, huh? Jesus.

Not at all. For me it’s probably the weakest piece of the building system since the most recent patch. It’s annoying, requires micromanagement in every state, and is fiddly with prices until enough PMs are unlocked to smooth out demand. In most games the tech also unlocks after I’ve exhausted most of my surplus labor, certainly in industrial states where I want the better PMs, so staffing power plants is annoying.

Hopefully they’ll iterate on it some more.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I've finally, on my fifth game, made it into the 1900s with a powerful nation (managed to form the Holy Roman Empire) and like most Paradox grand strategy, am kind of bored? The next 27 years are going to probably take a few irl days of game time. I want to finish at least one game of this though but I'm itching to restart because I find the initial buildup to always be more fun than being an unstoppable juggernaut rolling over the AI. Though the infamy system and the way wars work in this game definitely slow all that down. I just had a 7 year war with France to take a single state (Alsace-Lorraine) where San Marco and Mexico joined in to just slow things to a crawl. Eventually I got over the hump and won but not before tanking my treasury through 7 years of most major nations throwing an embargo on me.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

seems pretty normal to me. i don't think i've ever got past 1905, although not for performance reasons, i just can't stand stale endgame.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm using HMPS which has the alliance techs decrease infamy costs lategame which may change it, but i did notice that around the turn of the century my AIs get way more aggressive and will really start eating giant bites out of whatever is left unprotected, which helps keep the lategame a bit tense at least. Probably still wanna try aggressive AI generally to see if anyone can get some imperialism going

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The British Dominions in most of Vicky weren’t nearly that autonomous. Canada NZ, and Australia joined every war Britain commanded automatically, for example. This lasts until 1931. The main difference in practice was settler colonies instead of extraction colonies, and got the local vote.

I didn't phrase that very well, did I. Yeah, the point I was trying to make is that those three (and Newfoundland, and for a few minutes before the whole structure collapsed de facto through the '20s and de jure with Westminster in '31 the Irish Free State) were specifically fully dependent in war and trade, it was domestic policy where they had a relatively free hand.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've finally, on my fifth game, made it into the 1900s with a powerful nation (managed to form the Holy Roman Empire) and like most Paradox grand strategy, am kind of bored? The next 27 years are going to probably take a few irl days of game time. I want to finish at least one game of this though but I'm itching to restart because I find the initial buildup to always be more fun than being an unstoppable juggernaut rolling over the AI. Though the infamy system and the way wars work in this game definitely slow all that down. I just had a 7 year war with France to take a single state (Alsace-Lorraine) where San Marco and Mexico joined in to just slow things to a crawl. Eventually I got over the hump and won but not before tanking my treasury through 7 years of most major nations throwing an embargo on me.

im hoping the update tomorrow makes the game playable after 1890 performance wise yeah

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hotfix is out though based on the number of changes it's more like a full sized patch

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh so that's why peasants were overly satisfied, they were piggybacking off their host aristocrat's satisfaction. Class consciousness is truly a bitch

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Huh. Well that's. Not nothing? A non-negligible UX improvement?

The military goods changes are extreme, too. I've gone from artillery being permanently on the floor to being in shortage. And siege arty requires radios now too, which is a bit of a problem for this save.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 29, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, they apparently massively cranked up goods required for higher tier units.

I loaded up a Krakow game I started last week, but then abandoned when I realised that migration wasn't doing much, went from 15k to 70k migration. I guess this qualifies as being fixed, time to siphon some pops :getin:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 29, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not 100% certain why "basic supplies" has a +25% modifier to goods needs when you can't turn it off. Just roll that into the base upkeep?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm not 100% certain why "basic supplies" has a +25% modifier to goods needs when you can't turn it off. Just roll that into the base upkeep?

It's to make mobilized armies more expensive than non mobilized ones.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ahh, gotcha.

Oh, lol. I had just been assuming that was true already.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Lots of nice fixes, hopefully they won’t lead to a new annoying bugs. Also perfectly timed as I just finished up my Yugoslavia session and am looking for something new and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I guess migration is intended to be this fast. I should be a lot more prudent with using Greener Grass; I did manage to stabilize employment in my second gold mine state that was also just absolutely the pits in terms of SoL and eventually brought it up to par with the rest of the nation so the vacuum effect I saw pre-patch is no longer an issue.