Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OhFunny posted:

PetroChina to replace Exxon as lead contractor for Iraq's West Qurna 1 oilfield

This brings an end to Exxon's involvement in Iraq's energy sector.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/UKUN_NewYork/status/1724812409959780679

This is so stupid. RIP Somalia.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

so they’re going to keep up the UN mission forever, is that it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:siren: NEOM update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6T5HrLb4SM

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/martinplaut/status/1725471024827846975

quote:

The semi-official website, Tesfanews, has published strong attacks on the UAE for its role in encouraging war with Ethiopia.

It also appeals to the Saudis to intervene, which explains why President Isaias spent such a lengthy time in Saudi Arabia talking to the leadership.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Martin Plaut is very very biased towards the TPLF and was the main figure who ran cover for them during their genocide of the Anuak. I don’t see an issue with this article since it’s directly quoting the Eritrean government but just keep that in mind.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

what is that stupid helicopter thing in the thumbnail? lmao

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/banks/

Nothanda Magudulela posted:

Banks accused of generating trillion in alleged Rand manipulation

The Competition Commission says implicated banks in the alleged rand manipulation have generated about a trillion rand a day between 2007 and 2013, the Divisional Manager for Cartels at the Competition Commission Makgale Mohlala told the Competition Tribunal this week.

Five of the 28 banks have admitted to taking part in the alleged foreign exchange manipulation 16 years ago.

https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/standard-chartered-bank-admits-to-manipulation-of-the-rand-760e3230-75b2-4d9f-8ecc-866d8f399479

Siyabonga Sithole posted:

Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) has admitted to engaging in the manipulation of the rand alongside 17 other banks accused of engaging in unethical conduct.

On Wednesday, the bank became another commercial bank that admitted to wrongdoing and agreed to pay a penalty of R42 million to the Competition Commission for its role in conspiring to rig trades involving the US dollar-rand currency pair.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-KgBpDImQ

god i wish the loving title didn't spoil this

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Maybe old news in here, but looks like Niger isn't getting invaded yet

https://twitter.com/Ramy_Sawma/status/1717558645754368378

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/EugenePuryear/status/1727033834032533900

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

UN peacekeepers are finally leaving the Congo.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://amabhungane.org/stories/petrosa-pushes-for-r3-7bn-deal-with-russia/

Susan Combre posted:

PetroSA pushes for R3.7bn deal with Russia

The state-owned Petroleum Oil and Gas Corporation of South Africa (PetroSA) wants to partner with Russia’s Gazprombank to restart the gas-to-liquids refinery in Mossel Bay.

PetroSA advertised a tender in January looking for a partner willing to invest at least $200-million (R3.7-billion) to refurbish the refinery.

Twenty companies submitted bids, but the unusually strict technical criteria meant that 19 of the 20 were eliminated, leaving Gazprombank’s local subsidiary, GPB Africa & Middle East, as the only qualifying bid.

However, leaked documents, seen by amaBhungane, reveal that the PetroSA bid evaluation committee and board raised concerns about partnering with Gazprombank, which is under US sanctions, and advised PetroSA to enter into negotiations with other bidders, including Azerbaijan’s state oil company, SOCAR, and China’s state-owned energy infrastructure company, CMEC.

Further context in the article. But the fact that they're considering partnering with a US-sanctioned organisation is wild. Shows just how South Africa fears sanctions less and less.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm not sure if this is a good thread to ask, but does anyone have any recommendations on (not depressing) books about Lebanese culture or history? My wife is half-Lebanese but feels very detached from the culture, knowing almost nothing about it and I thought it would be nice to get her something as a starter, but I don't want it to be lib garbage about how colonialism is really good actually.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/EA_DevCouncil/status/1727561580496183376

amhara nationalists are seething because the American diplomat called Addis Ababa by its Oromo name

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that does seem like a signficant departure tbh

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

i say swears online posted:

that does seem like a signficant departure tbh

He’s speaking Oromo and that has always been the Oromo term for it, Addis was built on a oromo village called Finnfinne that Menelik demolished and renamed.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/sajid_nadeem78/status/1728356391583396217

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Fano is humiliating government forces and Abiy is picking a fight with Eritrea.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

someone brought up the idea in turkey of a referendum on staying in nato. although this is unlikely to happen it did raise some questions -- what would happen to Turkey if it were not in nato?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

probably some italy-style years of lead

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

mawarannahr posted:

someone brought up the idea in turkey of a referendum on staying in nato. although this is unlikely to happen it did raise some questions -- what would happen to Turkey if it were not in nato?

Well, the country would turn away from the west in favor of deeper integration into the global south. The question is how exactly. Closer ties to Russia? That puts a big, black-sea shaped question mark up in the air. Would Turkey try to reassert itself as a global power, possibly a leader of a new allied block of Middle Eastern/Central Asian countries? It should be prepared to incur the full animosity of the alliance it just left.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

Armenia retakes mount Ararat and Greece retakes the coast. Also Free Kurdistan and the rest of the country gets Gunther Fehlinger'd :pray:

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 10:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

GUNTHER NO! Lol

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Plutonis posted:

Armenia retakes mount Ararat and Greece retakes the coast. Also Free Kurdistan and the rest of the country gets Gunther Fehlinger'd :pray:

Gunther isn’t in favor of ANY countries getting bigger , he’d probably just bring back the old turkish beyliks and call it a day.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the karamanids will rise again

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Plutonis posted:

yeah the country is not exactly surrounded by friends and allies.

a common talking point on this question is that being in nato protects Turkey from nato. but at what cost??

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

cyprus sure made the mistake of not joining

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

So I'm yet again blundering into a thread that some rando just mildly suggested I check out.

Somali piracy. Where should I begin? There are 300 pages of posts, I don't know what has been covered or what I should even begin to talk about.

The spread of Bantu languages? Coastal trade along the eastern coast of Africa and how Swahili and Islam shaped the coast of the horn of Africa and the cultures of southeast Asia during what white people call the Medieval age?

Let me display my flawed memory when talking about all these things, and correct my shaken-baby brain.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mushika posted:

So I'm yet again blundering into a thread that some rando just mildly suggested I check out.

Somali piracy. Where should I begin? There are 300 pages of posts, I don't know what has been covered or what I should even begin to talk about.

The spread of Bantu languages? Coastal trade along the eastern coast of Africa and how Swahili and Islam shaped the coast of the horn of Africa and the cultures of southeast Asia during what white people call the Medieval age?

Let me display my flawed memory when talking about all these things, and correct my shaken-baby brain.

95% of those posts are twitter embeds and quotes of twitter embeds. Post away.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Somali pirates still exist in the sense that they didn't all literally die and most of the people who participated in it are probably still alive somewhere, but Somali piracy as a distinct phenomenon was very much a flash in the pan thing and mostly died off years ago

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

did the overfishing and toxic waste dumping ever decline?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mushika posted:

take us to mystical zanzibar plz

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

the Somali pirates still exist in the sense that they didn't all literally die and most of the people who participated in it are probably still alive somewhere, but Somali piracy as a distinct phenomenon was very much a flash in the pan thing and mostly died off years ago

I was going to touch on that, but "flash in the pan" is rather dismissive of why it existed as a phenomenon. International fishing fleets have illegally depleted east African fish stocks that coastal peoples rely on, not that International law really means anything.

e: not relevant to this thread

Mushika has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Nov 29, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Mushika posted:

:justpost:
those all sound interesting

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

take us to mystical zanzibar plz

I'm very specifically not doing that. I'm not pretending to be an expert at, well, loving anything. I just have a background in some stuff. A background that I vehemently welcome criticism of.

Including my use of dangling participles.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mushika posted:

I'm very specifically not doing that. I'm not pretending to be an expert at, well, loving anything. I just have a background in some stuff. A background that I vehemently welcome criticism of.

Including my use of dangling participles.

i can already smell the spices of the wond'rous east, please continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i can already smell the spices of the wond'rous east, please continue