Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yuiiut posted:

Yup.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/503153/coalition-details-at-a-glance-what-you-need-to-know

"The Parties confirm no ongoing commitment to income tax changes, including threshold adjustments, beyond those to be delivered in 2024, and recognise that details of the Fiscal Plan may be subject to amendment in response to significant new information or events"

extremely bullshit imo but spose not surprising

Varkk posted:

The banning of it was a cynical tough on drugs move by national. Which at the time was shown it would not slow down the trade in methamphetamine. It was so they could have a headline saying they were taking action on the P usage. It didn’t do anything but they got to pretend.

psueodephedrine rules

imo the small amount of people who can make more P pales in comparison to the economic benefits to society of allowing sick people to continue working

plus much like smoking, methamphetamine is a personal responsibility issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like if you're sick you should not go to work idk
E:

echinopsis posted:

plus much like smoking, methamphetamine is a personal responsibility issue

Lol wait this is trolling right

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

echinopsis posted:

4. Begin efforts to double renewable energy production, including a NPS on Renewable Electricity Generation.

8. Start reducing public sector expenditure, including consultant and contractor expenditure.

11. Cancel fuel tax hikes.

17. Introduce legislation to restore 90-day trial periods for all businesses.

26. Introduce legislation to ban gang patches, stop gang members gathering in public, and stop known gang offenders from communicating with one another.

27. Give Police greater powers to search gang members for firearms and make gang membership an aggravating factor at sentencing.

34. Improve security for the health workforce in hospital emergency departments.

37. Require primary and intermediate schools to teach an hour of reading, writing and maths per day starting in 2024.

38. Ban the use of cellphones in schools.

on the surface these seem good to me at least, and yeah there are caveats and perhaps some of these are a screen for more sinister motives idk, but find it hard bike tory that you don’t think at least some of these are good.. increased security in emergency departments?? you said you can’t find any other good ones so perhaps you’re against that?

I think you are further to the right than the majority of the thread, and that is okay. There are a lot of poison pills in the policy you mentioned.

I'm not going to break down each point, consider that even the arguably positive increased security is coming from a reduced budget. If a hospital cuts 6.5% at the same time as increasing spending on security, will there be better health outcomes?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

echinopsis posted:

8. Start reducing public sector expenditure, including consultant and contractor expenditure.

27. Give Police greater powers to search gang members for firearms and make gang membership an aggravating factor at sentencing.
you know #8 is a straight cut to the public sector because they won't be bringing those jobs back in and increasing the size of government

also, police should have greater powers to search everyone for firearms, specifically targeting gangs is a political message not a public safety measure and unnecessarily targets a section of society that is already on the fringes. the police literally this year just got expanded powers to search gangs and seize weapons, it is not a thing national needs to deliver. furthermore, belonging to a criminal group is already an aggravating factor for sentencing, all they are seeking to do is bypass the police's need to establish a gang is a criminal group to simply criminalise groups.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Lol wait this is trolling right

yeah it’s mocking how people were defending the repealing of the anti smoking thing saying it was a personal responsibility thing

Content to Hover posted:

I'm not going to break down each point, consider that even the arguably positive increased security is coming from a reduced budget. If a hospital cuts 6.5% at the same time as increasing spending on security, will there be better health outcomes?
but this is not the only factor

I was married to an ICU nurse who often worked a late shift. her actual security and sense of feeling safe at work and leaving late at night was a very large factor in her decision making around the job etc

we absolutely need to prioritise the actual health workers. the system falls apart utterly if we don’t make sure we have people who are happy and willing to work. the system is no good to anyone if people don’t feel safe at work

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

echinopsis posted:

4. Begin efforts to double renewable energy production, including a NPS on Renewable Electricity Generation.

26. Introduce legislation to ban gang patches, stop gang members gathering in public, and stop known gang offenders from communicating with one another.

34. Improve security for the health workforce in hospital emergency departments.

37. Require primary and intermediate schools to teach an hour of reading, writing and maths per day starting in 2024.

38. Ban the use of cellphones in schools.

on the surface these seem good to me at least, and yeah there are caveats and perhaps some of these are a screen for more sinister motives idk, but find it hard bike tory that you don’t think at least some of these are good.. increased security in emergency departments?? you said you can’t find any other good ones so perhaps you’re against that?

A real grab bag of policies there but most of those are bad.
4. That is ok so long as it isn’t just handouts for big corporations
8. This is just the standard right wing BS talking point that all public spending is bad. When in reality our public services have been starved of resources and placed under more strain for too long.
11. In the face of the climate crisis this is not we should be doing.
17. This does nothing but introduce uncertainty for some of our most vulnerable people. Last time they tried it it did nothing to help with employment based on official treasury data.
26. This ignores all the actual research on how to reduce the influence on gangs in society. Faces massive Bill of Rights issues.
27. Just opens things up for abuse of power by the Police and again massive issues with human rights
34. Fine on the surface but society would be better off tackling the issues which cause it in the first place.
37. Once again ignoring the experts in the field in favour of them dictating what they want. They are also pushing a rewrite of the curriculum which is already under way but they want to scrap all the work before it sees light of day and do it again.
38. Another pointless headline grab. Schools already ban cellphone use in classroom. This just takes any nuance and local decision making out of it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

you know #8 is a straight cut to the public sector because they won't be bringing those jobs back in and increasing the size of government

maybe that’s ok?? like is the size of govt labour left the ideal amount? this is not a rhetorical question, there is actually an “ideal” amount of public sector spending and idk if the previous govt was actually at that ideal or over it

quote:

also, police should have greater powers to search everyone for firearms, specifically targeting gangs is a political message not a public safety measure and unnecessarily targets a section of society that is already on the fringes. the police literally this year just got expanded powers to search gangs and seize weapons, it is not a thing national needs to deliver. furthermore, belonging to a criminal group is already an aggravating factor for sentencing, all they are seeking to do is bypass the police's need to establish a gang is a criminal group to simply criminalise groups.

tbh I didn’t know a lot of this, but I don’t really like gangs and I don’t think doing nothing about them is the best solution. maybe the proposal is a bad solution but no solution is worse and the public is generally fed up with the precious govt treating gangs with kid gloves and effectively supporting their existence

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the size of the government is already the slim size it is because multiple governments have repeatedly shrunk the size of it by shifting the cost of public services from the government to private industry contractors and organisational functions to public consultants for largely the same ideological reasoning: that private industry is more efficient than the state.

shrinking public sector spending on consultants and contractors doesn't reduce the size of government because those jobs have already been moved out of government - it just reduces the quantity and quality of public services the government can afford to buy from the consultants and contractors it needs to provide them.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

echinopsis posted:

but this is not the only factor

I was married to an ICU nurse who often worked a late shift. her actual security and sense of feeling safe at work and leaving late at night was a very large factor in her decision making around the job etc

we absolutely need to prioritise the actual health workers. the system falls apart utterly if we don’t make sure we have people who are happy and willing to work. the system is no good to anyone if people don’t feel safe at work

If you think they are going to prioritise actual health workers, I have a bridge to sell you. Cuts will mean that the already overstretched system will break. Double and triple shifts will increase. People will die because of this.

You've identified a problem that you can relate to, which is fine. I'm just suggesting you look at the larger context. Yes, our healthcare workers should feel safe. If they deliver on this, maybe one aspect of their safety will improve. I doubt their mental health will.

National campaigned on tax cuts. If they were going to adequately fund the health sector and add practical security that might be meaningful. They are going to cut funding and stress the system, I would expect there to be an increase in violent incidents as a result.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Holy poo poo echonpsis 3/4s of that poo poo you posted is so loving bad lol

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

ACT get money from pharmaceutical companies, acts number 4 is a big pharma lobbyist, act hate pharmac, Seymour is now the minister responsible for pharmac (I think it's normally the health minister who's responsible for pharmac?)

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/09/03/act-calls-for-productivity-focus-for-pharmac/

This is basically what they have published.

The plan is probably something similar to as follows, the outcome is a bit uncertain.

1) The various pharma funded lobby groups have been bashing on about the manufactured drama around Rachel Smalley and her OIA/privacy Act request. This is now focused on calling for the resignation of the CEO and board chair.

2) Seymour is now associate health minister (for Pharmac). While the minister cannot directly direct Pharmac in what to fund etc they are in control of the board. Seymour removes the board chair and appoints new, probably pharma lobbyist board members.

3) Board removes the CEO and Deputy, giving the reason of the manufactured Rachel Smalley drama, and replaces them with more 'pharma friendly' people.

4) New CEO makes changes at Pharmac, likely removal of the Māori directorate, other things to compromise it's decision making and implement their 'productivity focus.'

5) Small uplift in the pharmaceutical budget to fund a couple of nationals special cancer medicines, funded by the reinstatement of the $5 prescription fee. This is pointed at forever as 'look, making people pay more for Medicines means more can be funded.'
The medsafe changes will enable some more diversity in what's available at the minor cost of patient safety.

Pharmac continues to be underfunded and bad outcomes continue. The senior leadership is removed and replaced by people whose goal is essentially for it to fail.

End goal is likely simultaneously Pharmac's decision making and negotiating power is compromised and new charges so patients have to pay much much increased surcharges e.g. $30-1000 per per script like Aus will be brought in. This is effectively taking money directly from people's pockets and handing it directly to the pharma industry and will ruin the popular appeal of Pharmac in the medium-long term which will allow it's dissolution or breaking up.

Pharmac has also relatively recently taken over national procurement of medical devices which promises immense savings, med device expenditure dwarfs pharmaceutical funding and stopping this is the no.1 industry priority right now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Regarding tax brackets, the only people who I've ever seen notice about, nay even loudly complain about, are inevitably the quite well-off. Going on and on about how they're too low and disincentivizing them from working harder, etc. Poor people don't fret about where they sit in the brackets, they just pay it.

Tying tax brackets to inflation isn't an evil move, it's just one that their demographic really really cares about.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

echinopsis posted:

This means businesses can take on staff over a busy season (eg summer for hospo) and then go "sorry, you didn't pass your trial" when they're no longer needed

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
how is bringing back the 90 day trial period good? in my experience it was 100% abused by lovely employers holding it over new hires as a cudgel and then firing them and hiring somebody else every 90 days regardless

e: oh i missed quite a few posts there before posting this

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 29, 2023

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

This means businesses can take on staff over a busy season (eg summer for hospo) and then go "sorry, you didn't pass your trial" when they're no longer needed

They could do that anyway. You can make people redundant, you just can't hire someone to replace them immediately.

The 90 trial period is straight up bullshit

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

maybe that’s ok?? like is the size of govt labour left the ideal amount? this is not a rhetorical question, there is actually an “ideal” amount of public sector spending and idk if the previous govt was actually at that ideal or over it

The people that ask this question are, like the :laffo: curve believers, uniformly of the belief that the "ideal" amount is way off to the left of the graph from now. Without exception.

Unrelated: Hey here's another way tenants are going to get hosed by National! So they are proposing or implementing (forget which) retroactive tax deductibility for mortgage interest for landlords. Or in other words: Rich landlors are getting a *upper lip curls* handout from the government! Now, how many of those landlords who raised rents "because the government has raised the cost of my mortgage!!11!!1!!!!1" going to pass the savings back through to the tenants in the form of a refund? crickets

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

Holy poo poo echonpsis 3/4s of that poo poo you posted is so loving bad lol

:smugmrgw:

Varkk posted:

A real grab bag of policies there but most of those are bad.
4. That is ok so long as it isn’t just handouts for big corporations
8. This is just the standard right wing BS talking point that all public spending is bad. When in reality our public services have been starved of resources and placed under more strain for too long.
11. In the face of the climate crisis this is not we should be doing.
17. This does nothing but introduce uncertainty for some of our most vulnerable people. Last time they tried it it did nothing to help with employment based on official treasury data.
26. This ignores all the actual research on how to reduce the influence on gangs in society. Faces massive Bill of Rights issues.
27. Just opens things up for abuse of power by the Police and again massive issues with human rights
34. Fine on the surface but society would be better off tackling the issues which cause it in the first place.
37. Once again ignoring the experts in the field in favour of them dictating what they want. They are also pushing a rewrite of the curriculum which is already under way but they want to scrap all the work before it sees light of day and do it again.
38. Another pointless headline grab. Schools already ban cellphone use in classroom. This just takes any nuance and local decision making out of it.

there are a lot of good points here and I don’t necessarily disagree with much at all, but it’s also an extremely cynical point of view. only time will tell how these pan out.

I certainly didn’t vote for these mother fuckers. not that I was happy with how labour was doing things and this will likely be worse, but I have to maintain some level of optimism that some things might be of benefit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

redleader posted:

i'm sure "index tax brackets to inflation" is bad, but i don't know why. on the surface it doesn't seem immediately dumb

Raising tax brackets means less government revenue, is the main problem. Bracket creep is pretty much the only way to increase govt tax take, although labour found a few others. Tax cuts also put upward pressure on inflation, which has a positive feedback effect if the brackets are indexed to inflation because the more inflation, the bigger the tax cuts people get each year.

Short version though is that income tax and GST are poo poo when they are basically the only sources of govt revenue. We need to tax capital.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

echinopsis posted:

8. Would be better if it were reducing the need for consultant and contractor expenditure, for example by bringing the expertise in house, but they also want to slash in house jobs, so that's not going to happen.

11. Seems ok until you take into account that there's a huge transport infrastructure problem and escalating costs. Reducing a source of income for transport without a better replacement to fund it(hey, maybe the modified RUC will do that, but then, it works simply be switching one tax for a greater one) is just going to lead to Simeon having a whole lot more opportunities to take photos in front of potholes. Leaving aside the question of exactly how they plan to fund their big highway projects that they pulled out as election promises, but the reality is most of those probably won't even happen this decade even if they are feasible

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

echinopsis posted:

the economic benefits to society of allowing sick people to continue working

:chloe:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Sick people just work more poorly and slowly and do worse work and make poorer decisions and make more mistakes which someone else has to fix later and they get other people sick who proceed to do the same. It's just like "crunch" in software development, except there its tired people, but there is no economic benefit to making sick people work. A manager will merely think there is, consoling themselves by posing "well imagine how much further behind we'd be if we DIDN'T make sick people work" without realising they wouldn't be behind - they would be ahead. Because they are dumb cunts.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

people who can't work are worthless. we only spend money on schools so that kids can grow up to be workers

retirees are the exception, not because they're not worthless (see prior point re: not working), but because they vote and they vote hard

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

klen dool posted:

Sick people just work more poorly and slowly and do worse work and make poorer decisions and make more mistakes which someone else has to fix later and they get other people sick who proceed to do the same

up to this point i thought you were in favour. like sign me up for working sick boys!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I feel like if you're sick you should not go to work idk

This is the entire reason they’re unbanning it, by the way. Enjoy dickheads walking around sick as gently caress and delirious spreading their germs again everywhere. But you gotta make sure the slaves can still make you money!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
About the only thing I'm cautiously optimistic about is Penny Simmons being put in charge of Te Pukenga, she's absolutely a fan of cutting dead wood in upper management in favour of more frontline staff. Which it needs so badly

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

echinopsis posted:

:smugmrgw:

there are a lot of good points here and I don’t necessarily disagree with much at all, but it’s also an extremely cynical point of view. only time will tell how these pan out.

I certainly didn’t vote for these mother fuckers. not that I was happy with how labour was doing things and this will likely be worse, but I have to maintain some level of optimism that some things might be of benefit

We're cynical because we've seen the history of this stuff, it's all happened before, and they're doing the same things again. We don't need time to see how it pans out, we have history for that.

You are not someone they want to benefit, they see you benefiting as a loss to them. They want to maximise their own gains, and they see that coming at your expense only.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that was a joke

but there is absolutely a reality where people don’t have the sick leave available to take sick leave. it’s not like pseudo makes it possible to do something that was impossible before, but it does make life easier in some of these situations

and sometimes people are congested but are otherwise ok

klen dool posted:

Sick people just work more poorly and slowly and do worse work and make poorer decisions and make more mistakes which someone else has to fix later

this is true.. but I also have people calling in sick because a patch of skin near their eye hurts lol.

unlike other managers I don’t ask why someone is sick, imo it’s not my business, but weirdly people feel the need to tell me as if they need to justify it. maybe they need to justify it to the other duty managers. but some people call in sick for the most pathetic reasons lol. never encountered it before this job but I suspect because there are more people at this job they just think someone else will deal with it

a lot of people at my workplace have an awful sense of general responsibility, especially people who grew up in other cultures. the break room is a total mess and rubbish is overflowing in the bin but most people will do nothing about it at all. oh well

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh I forgot also the gang poo poo is mostly virtue signalling, it's not actually going to reduce gang violence or harm.

Banning gang patches won't do poo poo because they can't stop people from wearing like, red scarves or yellow hoodies or whatever. The police already have the power to harass gang members about their guns, and it's already an aggravating factor in sentencing.

The asset seizure poo poo just means that a bunch of families in South Auckland are going to have all their stuff stolen by police because their uncle or cousin or whatever is in a gang and lives with them sometimes.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 29, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

echinopsis posted:

a lot of people at my workplace have an awful sense of general responsibility, especially people who grew up in other cultures. the break room is a total mess and rubbish is overflowing in the bin but most people will do nothing about it at all. oh well
i will not have you slandering my fellow americans like that

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

Weird, our dog just started barking up a storm for some reason

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The impeccable culture of the white new Zealand moderate male

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk if it's that or just overwhelming terminal manager brain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

Weird, our dog just started barking up a storm for some reason

it's just a phenomenon I've noticed. I've got theories but I'm not sure, maybe it's just a more normal thing in some cultures to only do work that is "yours"? not that it's someone elses jobs it's just kinda everyones. idk. it sucks watching someone put some rubbish in the bin that makes the bin liner fall in, and then they just do nothing about it, leaving it for someone else to do. in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but on a day to day it just sucks that so many people are just content for someone else to do the cleanup

and idk what's the alternative, just think this situation is fine, and say it's pure correlation

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 29, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

it's just a phenomenon I've noticed. I've got theories but I'm not sure, maybe it's just a more normal thing in some cultures to only do work that is "yours"? not that it's someone elses jobs it's just kinda everyones. idk. it sucks watching someone put some rubbish in the bin that makes the bin liner fall in, and then they just do nothing about it, leaving it for someone else to do. in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but on a day to day it just sucks that so many people are just content for someone else to do the cleanup

and idk what's the alternative, just think this situation is fine, and say it's pure correlation

Stop generalising about entire cultures from your experience with like 10 people in your workplace. Please reflect on your lovely racism, learn and grow.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I see the exact same poo poo you described from European New Zealanders so I don't know what the gently caress you think your point is.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
The Detail had a good piece on banning gang patches etc https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-detail/story/2018913372/gang-crackdown-about-to-rev-up

Essentially the example of Queensland being so successful, is because the gangs just moved to other states, and now the last states to ban anything are poo poo out of luck as the gangs have no where to go so they are stuck with them.

Not to mention the examples of police harassing civilians for wearing anything slightly gang adjacent.

As mentioned by others, its all just virtue signalling so they can give themselves a big tick and say job done without actually tackling any of the issues that lead people to join gangs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

echinopsis posted:

tbh I didn’t know a lot of this, but I don’t really like gangs and I don’t think doing nothing about them is the best solution. maybe the proposal is a bad solution but no solution is worse and the public is generally fed up with the precious govt treating gangs with kid gloves and effectively supporting their existence

I don't grant your premise that the previous govt was "doing nothing" and "treating them with kid gloves". Do you get your news exclsively from Mike Hosking or something?

Other points have been covered well, I can't be bothered with my 90 trial rant right now, but indexing tax brackets to inflation is good only if you think inflation is the single input that goes in to setting tax brackets, and is mainly there for people wo don't understand how tax works. That's not to say I don't think the system needs reviewing and tweaking more regularly than it has been, but yeah.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Our new strong and stable government gonna make crime illegal again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

cptn_dr posted:

Our new strong and stable government gonna make crime illegal again

Finally