Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
See also: No Man's Sky. Even if it has been subsequently bulked up with lots more stuff post-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ramie posted:

the OST for that one is still great and timeless, but,

yeah it wasn't helped by originally being written with the target audience of /v/ dweeblings and geekaboos. apparently the writer has come a long way in realizing he doesn't have to shackle himself to that tone in order to have players, so hopefully the next game is not like, painful.

Dorothy's great though. I know she was probably written that way due to be weeb bait, but once you meet a couple Dorothy's in your life, it's hard not to root for her.

You almost made it out alive!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

John Murdoch posted:

The way Bethesda talks about Starfield makes me think one of their executives is one of those people who gets glassy-eyed talking about how cool space is without realizing most people don't give a poo poo about the dry, technical details.

*nodding* Not enough sexy aliens.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Instead of starfield I just got all the DLC for X4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FastestGunAlive posted:

Bioshock’s legacy to me will forever be some YouTuber thinking that the game’s mention of Wounded Knee was a skyrim reference

Whenever someone mentions this I remember someone on this forum complaining that Civ V made a Penny Arcade reference with their Great Scientist Tycho Brahe

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They didn't read The Green Futures of Tycho by William Slater when they were kids smdh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do we have a proper Sekiro thread? I see a LP thread, and something in the Imp Zone which just seems to be a bunch of shitposting, but like an actual talk-about-getting-better thread?

edit: vvv Thank you!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 29, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

Do we have a proper Sekiro thread? I see a LP thread, and something in the Imp Zone which just seems to be a bunch of shitposting, but like an actual talk-about-getting-better thread?

here you go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860077

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whenever someone mentions this I remember someone on this forum complaining that Civ V made a Penny Arcade reference with their Great Scientist Tycho Brahe

lol, I laughed pretty loudly at this one.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:ughh:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

First heard for me lmao

Phlegmish posted:

It's been a slow burn ever since games like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin put CRPGs back on the map, but I feel like we're finally entering a second Golden Age.

The crpg and srpg revival has been such a blessing to me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Age of Fear:

lmao whoops well no regrets for picking it up for 30$, and whenever my budget is feeling better I'll buy someone a gift copy of the game or something

e: the sale is over, so now it's full price or the weird bundle thing

Well nuts, I probably won't be buying the big bundle in future then, haha. Thirty bucks is about the top end of my 'I'm not sure if I like this genre but this is meant to be excellent so I'll take a swing at it' money. Good for the dev for sticking to their guns though!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Controller support indicators on store pages have been updated to mention support for your specific controllers.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Planet Coaster developer Frontier refocusing on sims after low sales of Warhammer RTS

quote:

UK developer Frontier has said it will refocus on making simulation games following the launch of real-time strategy game Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin.

In a business update, the developer behind Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo and Jurassic World Evolution admitted that Warhammer sales had "been lower than expected" since its launch earlier this month, and that it was lowering its revenue forecast for the year.

*snip*

Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo have all achieved a return on investment of over 250 percent, Frontier notes.

Age of Sigmar, lol. To be fair idk if they set their expectation really high because of that 250% they might have been used to, but still.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Age of Ligmar

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish I liked Planet Coaster/Zoo more than I do. People do some crazy stuff with the tools to make really elaborate looking parks but I don't have the patience to build enclosures and facades piece by piece for no reason other than to make it look nice and that's really a lot of what those games are. The actual management stuff takes a bit of a backseat to the park design minutiae.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Same problem. If I wanted to spend dozens of hours to make nice looking stuff, I'd rather learn 3D modelling or painting.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

The way Bethesda talks about Starfield makes me think one of their executives is one of those people who gets glassy-eyed talking about how cool space is without realizing most people don't give a poo poo about the dry, technical details.

I care about all the technical details and Starfield is still really boring and bad. I was actually kind of excited for parts of it and went in expecting nothing from the story or really much besides the exploration due to modern BethSoft and it still disappointed me. I'm playing New Vegas again instead.

explosivo posted:

I wish I liked Planet Coaster/Zoo more than I do. People do some crazy stuff with the tools to make really elaborate looking parks but I don't have the patience to build enclosures and facades piece by piece for no reason other than to make it look nice and that's really a lot of what those games are. The actual management stuff takes a bit of a backseat to the park design minutiae.

There's some really great player made enclosures and such for Zoo if you don't want to mess with that (I enjoy it, though). Planet Zoo is one of those games that I don't play a ton but when I do it's a full day session usually because I get so focused on it. I wasn't even aware an Age of Sigmar RTS had been released at all.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

FuzzySlippers posted:

they never tried to make the cults persuasive or interesting

Except for Nergal, right?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

See also: No Man's Sky. Even if it has been subsequently bulked up with lots more stuff post-release.

They keep tacking more poo poo onto NMS but it's still the boring repetitive shallow game it always has been.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RandomBlue posted:

They keep tacking more poo poo onto NMS but it's still the boring repetitive shallow game it always has been.

In some ways that sounds heavenly, a chill space exploration game with lots of weird stuff to do while chillin'

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah it was basically my perfect "get stoned and chill out" game for a year or two there

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Planet Coaster developer Frontier refocusing on sims after low sales of Warhammer RTS

Age of Sigmar, lol. To be fair idk if they set their expectation really high because of that 250% they might have been used to, but still.

I haven't heard or seen anything about that game at all and I think I follow gaming news pretty closely.

They spent 20 million making that game and there was no money left to market it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't heard or seen anything about that game at all and I think I follow gaming news pretty closely.

They spent 20 million making that game and there was no money left to market it?

Buddy I don't remember the last time I've seen a relevant game ad and I don't even use that powerful of an ad blocker

Nobody markets anymore

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why spending money marketing when you can reach out to a youtuber and offer them a free copy and maybe a tshirt to show the game off for you?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Macichne Leainig posted:

Buddy I don't remember the last time I've seen a relevant game ad and I don't even use that powerful of an ad blocker

Nobody markets anymore

Game website articles. Youtuber coverage. loving, Steam ads at least?!
I've seen loving nothing at all.

Leal posted:

Why spending money marketing when you can reach out to a youtuber and offer them a free copy and maybe a tshirt to show the game off for you?

That is marketing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played the demo of the Warhammer RTS in the steam NextFest and the reason you don't see any marketing for it is because it's so incredibly bland it doesn't even inspire people to make posts about it

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jack Trades posted:

Game website articles. Youtuber coverage. loving, Steam ads at least?!
I've seen loving nothing at all.

I follow quite a few Youtubers who do RTS/Grand Strat/Total War stuff and only one of them kinda tepidly covered it? It's weird because this crowd doesn't just go for sponsored content and I would have expected to see them cover the AoS RTS but like, almost none of them did?

Steam reviews seem tepid as well.

Base price is 60 dollardoos with options for more expensive versions, so I think expectations for quality were high and it's just... Kinda on the vibe of a generic AA Warhammer License game, with a big helping of jank as well?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Absolutely nobody cares about Age of Sigmar. I have no idea why anyone would want to make the game in that utter void of a setting.

Though, honestly, it fits Frontier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend of mine bought Age of Sigmar and was telling me how cool it was and I thought he was talking about the VR 40k jawn, legit had no idea there was a new 40k RTS until he told me what it was. I also chose not to believe him about how cool it is because it looks bland as hell.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I think this is an instance of the demo actually being not great for the launch of the full game. I follow plenty of strategy YouTubers and there’s been some coverage, but not a ton and not very wholehearted. It’s just a kinda mid game.

Antigravitas posted:

Absolutely nobody cares about Age of Sigmar. I have no idea why anyone would want to make the game in that utter void of a setting.

I don’t really agree with this, though. AoS as a game is plenty popular and the setting side of things has come a long way. I’m positive you could create good AoS games, this just isn’t one of them.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Leal posted:

I'm pretty sure most influencers with actual numbers in their viewer base get paid a lot more for their marketing than a free game and a t shirt

Less than traditional advertising platforms, sure, but the internet hasn't been 2002 for a while now

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think a spelljammer type RPG in AoS would be a fun time. It has that 3.5/Pathfinder vibe at times where you could have adventures in weird and wild places, meeting all sorts of creatures and strange dudes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

boofhead posted:

I'm pretty sure most influencers with actual numbers in their viewer base get paid a lot more for their marketing than a free game and a t shirt

Less than traditional advertising platforms, sure, but the internet hasn't been 2002 for a while now

They also generally sign contracts mandating that [sponsored game] is the only game they play for a set amount of time, making it unlikely that they'll agree to sponsorship from a mediocre, bland game like the Warhammer RTS :v: Accepting a sponsorship from a game no one wants to watch can tank their earnings long-term, because it makes them lose all of their viewers and then they can't get future sponsorships and/or get paid less for future sponsorships.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 29, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am confused by Myths of Rules, a text-based horror game by Chinese devs with a... workable translation. You click from node to node, drag nodes around, and it tells weird, interesting stories. I can't tell if they're helped by the weird translation or not, but it really feels like I've entered a strange, nightmarish like realm.

It's about 2$ so I'm happy but I don't know if I'd want this for any more... but man, I love the concept and would love to see more writers try it.

This is strangely awesome lol. Really hard to explain but it's kind of like a collection of interactive stories all along the lines of those creepypastas that are like "My new gym has some strange rules to follow..... they say if a mysterious man asks you for a towel between 10:54 and 10:59, don't speak to him and leave immediately". Everything is handled through a flowchart but lots of little puzzles and tricks involve manipulating the text and positions of flowchart items. You can definitely tell the game has been translated by an amateur, but it doesn't feel poorly machine-translated or anything, just a little off to where, like you said, it gives it an otherworldly feeling. Really pleased with this for $2!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Knowing gamers, someone will mod in a romance for Ursa Minor

:golfclap:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

boofhead posted:

this was actually a point of contention on social media last week. mike rose, head of publisher house 'no more robots', talked about how he had an icky feeling about paying youtubers to cover/review the games he publishes (such as Spirittea) because it felt like payola. he then got blasted by a ton of youtubers and youtubers-in-training that his thinking was backwards and he needed to Do Better (tm). so everyone just expects payola now.

i saw one tweet from a developer that said a youtuber asked for $60k in exchange for covering a game, so that's how lucrative sponsorship deals are now i guess for the multi-million subbed channels. the only reason the FTC hasn't stepped in is likely because they're not paying attention and mostly old-media focused

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

pseudorandom name posted:

They didn't read The Green Futures of Tycho by William Slater when they were kids smdh

This just unlocked a powerful memory of the boy who reversed himself and the twin who used a micro black hole to age faster than his brother.

And Interstellar Pig!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Antigravitas posted:

Though, honestly, it fits Frontier.

I've heard Age of Ligmar has been getting a lot of positive traction lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I've heard Age of Ligmar has been getting a lot of positive traction lately.

What's Ligmar?