Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

LostRook posted:

Maxed battlepass really gives you 15 boxes per level now? Feels like a mistake or the new MD will take a million years to finish a single run.

Walpurgisnacht gives them a place that requires Lunacy to spend (and people will save up for it). So boxes aren't super meaningful economic breakers. Also frankly them not hunting for Whales is nice, even if whaling out is still possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Lord_Magmar posted:

Check what the skill actually tries to discard in its description. Discard will never hit a defensive skill so if you use the top skill whilst the bottom is defensive it will discard the incoming skill. Some skills discard from every column, others their own column, etc.

It requires a bit of reading basically.

Deici Rodion doesn't discard on skill 1 use, discards the lowest from the column on skill 2 use, discards the lowest from every column on skill 3 use, and discards the highest from the column on defensive skill use. A skill cannot discard itself.
Okay, thank you very much!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

LostRook posted:

Maxed battlepass really gives you 15 boxes per level now? Feels like a mistake or the new MD will take a million years to finish a single run.

Wait what where did this get announced? :o

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

Wait what where did this get announced? :o

Nevermind. It's my collected levels. It's staying the same at 1 and 2 per level. My bad.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Yeah, it might take me a while before I have enough boxes to get any of this season's IDs. I slacked off a lot on MD in Season 2 because I didn't realize I could just do a single Hard run, so I didn't have enough boxes to clean out the shop before S3 started. Aside from S3 IDs, I'm missing W Yi Sang, Red Eyes Open and Regret Meursault.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I haven't managed to get either HookGreg or BigDon, nor did I manage to get EgoFaust. I used up all my boxes on little things and uptying so now I need to knuckle down again.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Deici Rodion doesn't discard on skill 1 use, discards the lowest from the column on skill 2 use, discards the lowest from every column on skill 3 use, and discards the highest from the column on defensive skill use. A skill cannot discard itself.

By 'lowest' and 'highest', you mean counting Skill 1, 2, and 3 by that number? Not the physical position in the column?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Quackles posted:

By 'lowest' and 'highest', you mean counting Skill 1, 2, and 3 by that number? Not the physical position in the column?

Yup! So if you have 2-3 in the row, 3 will be highest and 2 will be lowest. Although i do wonder if it take into consideration the next skill in the column or if multiple column affect the Discard ability.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Middle Don is cool but I'm not sure if she's good or not. I run almost all Envy guys anyway so I'll keep picking away at it.

I already spent the threads so I will commit

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I got Middle Don my first 10-pull on the banner, and Middle Meur the second. I am satisfied. Time for a streak of horrible gacha luck after this, probably.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Quackles posted:

Yes I meant Highest/Lowest rank. Sorry I kept re-writing that sentence to make it clear what I meant and still managed to bungle it.

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Yup! So if you have 2-3 in the row, 3 will be highest and 2 will be lowest. Although i do wonder if it take into consideration the next skill in the column or if multiple column affect the Discard ability.

It will take into consideration the skill about to enter the column (the faded skill at the very top of the UI that you cannot select but can see), but not skills in other columns (unless stated to discard from every column).

It really is just reading the skill and understanding what the words mean, how they actually discard is, from there, pretty simple.

It'll discard exactly what it says it will discard, picking between the 2 other skills current visible in its column for the one that fits its requirement (or all columns from the unit). It will not discard a defensive skill ever. It also cannot discard a skill being used.

Edit: I think a visual aid might also help although I can't actually take a screeny of the drat game right now so apologies for ASCII art

______
|3 2 1 |
|2 3 2 |
|1 D 2 |

This is a hypothetical set of 3 Columns for Deici Rodion. In the first column, seleciting the 2 skill will discard the lowest tier skill in that column (the 1 below it). In the second column, selecting the 3 will discard the lowest tier skill in every column, which will be the 3 at the top of the left column, the 2 at the top of the middle column (since it cannot discard a defensive skill) and the 1 at the top of the right column. In the third column, now selecting either 2 skill will discard the other 2 skill. afaik the columns don't update until after the turn ends, but they might. If you were to use the Defensive Skill in the second column, it would discard the 3 above it (as it discards the highest tier skill instead) and then the third column either 2 would discard the incoming 1 skill (as it is now there to be discarded as the lowest tier skill).

This is really important for Deici Rodion specifically, because Insight only tracks the "last" skill you discard. So you can use Defensive skills to force 3s to discard. If your final Deici Rodion column looks like this

You can replace the 1 with a Defensive skill, to force the 2 to discard the incoming 3 (and thus set Rodion's insight to 3).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 25, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheNabster posted:

Middle Don is cool but I'm not sure if she's good or not. I run almost all Envy guys anyway so I'll keep picking away at it.

I already spent the threads so I will commit

Her gimmick is too impractical right now but she herself isn't bad or anything, she'll pull her weight well enough.

Solitair posted:

Yeah, it might take me a while before I have enough boxes to get any of this season's IDs. I slacked off a lot on MD in Season 2 because I didn't realize I could just do a single Hard run, so I didn't have enough boxes to clean out the shop before S3 started. Aside from S3 IDs, I'm missing W Yi Sang, Red Eyes Open and Regret Meursault.

ID-wise i'm missing a bunch of 000s because a lot of them have been underwhelming lately. On the bright side my S2 low spending has given me an absurd 4000 thread to burn

I just got Lantern Sinclair from a random daily pull so i'm only missing Regret EGO-wise

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Lord_Magmar posted:

You can replace the 1 with a Defensive skill, to force the 2 to discard the incoming 3 (and thus set Rodion's insight to 3).

Which make the Skill 1 Clasheable, thank you!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

LMAO, I hit the after-fight cutscene for the Ricardo battle and I was like, drat, this is a lot of effort for a defeat. Then I saw the Victory ending screen pop up.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 25, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I thought you can't discard an incoming skill?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

PetraCore posted:

LMAO, I hit the after-fight cutscene for the Ricardo battle and I was like, drat, this is a lot of effort for a defeat. Then I saw the Victory ending screen pop up.

The EX objective is to just clear the stage too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Quackles posted:

I thought you can't discard an incoming skill?

You absolutely can or their would be no need for the selection description on discard. I am wrong about Rodion's actual discard text. All of them are from every column. Her S2 discards the lowest from every column, her S3 discards the two lowest from every column.

Discarding two lowest from every column means it must be able to discard the skill you didn't pick, and the incoming skill.

The old weird discard cheat obviously wasn't able to get rid of an incoming skill, but the actual discard ability they created absolutely does.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Marluxia posted:

The EX objective is to just clear the stage too.

...y'know, I, ah. hm. got used to it always being 10 turns, didn't even think to check if it was any different this time. :v:
going to be a lot easier to handle without a nonexistant timer looming overhead.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

You absolutely can or their would be no need for the selection description on discard. I am wrong about Rodion's actual discard text. All of them are from every column. Her S2 discards the lowest from every column, her S3 discards the two lowest from every column.

Discarding two lowest from every column means it must be able to discard the skill you didn't pick, and the incoming skill.

The old weird discard cheat obviously wasn't able to get rid of an incoming skill, but the actual discard ability they created absolutely does.

You definitely cannot discard an oncoming skill, the highest/lowest distinction is in fact pointless. Case in point:

Turn 1: Outis has an S1 and S2 on her board, with another S2 incoming. S1 gets shielded and S2 gets played. If you are correct, and incoming skills can be discarded, the other S2 gets discarded and the top skill will be either S1 or S3.

Turn 2: No skill was discarded, the bottom one is still S1 and the incoming S2 replaced the one that was used.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Arcanuse posted:

...y'know, I, ah. hm. got used to it always being 10 turns, didn't even think to check if it was any different this time. :v:
going to be a lot easier to handle without a nonexistant timer looming overhead.
Project Moon had mercy on us this one time. It's so we could get eaten by a Whale.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

That's, really weird. I'm sure I've seen it discard the incoming skill.

In that case though, the discard is only "the lowest/two lowest" from all slots, rather than multiple lowest. So the defend trick still works to force discard a 3, you just need more than one column to manipulate that way.

Point remains, the discarding can be controlled via defensive skills, and does what it says it does in the words, I'm just a project moon player because I clearly can't read.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Also, the defend will only discard something if it actually clashes with an attack -- if you target an attack with the defend skill then have someone else clash with that attack, nothing gets discarded. Don't make the same mistake I did.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Arkanian posted:

Also, the defend will only discard something if it actually clashes with an attack -- if you target an attack with the defend skill then have someone else clash with it, nothing gets discarded. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Yeah, On use is fun like that. Related to defensive fuckery, do defensive skills use the enemies speed to decide when they occur? Because I've clashed with a defensive skill and followed up with one-sided attacks, and the one sided attacks have been happening before the defensive clashes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It is nice to know exactly what I'm going to spend my instant level 40 ticket on (the N Sinclair I'm buying once I have enough egoshards).

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Huh, the update notice is out, and no new banner. Guess we'll have to wait another week for any identities related to the third part of canto 5.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3861335684845501218

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, they could just do something like "New Identity: 000 ?????? Ishmael" if there were new IDs they didn't want to fully reveal due to spoilers. I guess we are really not getting any new banners at the climax of the Canto's V story. Weird.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, they could just do something like "New Identity: 000 ?????? Ishmael" if there were new IDs they didn't want to fully reveal due to spoilers. I guess we are really not getting any new banners at the climax of the Canto's V story. Weird.

Eh. If their next planned ID is Final Boss Ishmael, they wouldn't want to have a big banner with her on it at the start of that whole chunk of story. Because revealing it in the patch notes isn't the problem, revealing it when you log in is.

From a business perspective, should they have had a banner with... I don't know, Little Sister Rodion and Random Pirate Heathcliff? Yeah. But you can't do the big spoiler IDs before people see the big spoilers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

I thought that was weird too but tbf Ishmael already has 3 really good 000s, it's not like Yi Sang where he had p. much nothing

e: I mean 7 Yi wasn't bad but he's not exactly a show stealer

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 27, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

More Lunacy for me to spend on the next banner I want to pull on, I guess.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Has anyone else found the Lunar Memory ego gift? I think I got it once a couple weeks after MD2 released, and never saw it again since then... And I do quite a lot of of MD.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

microfolk posted:

Has anyone else found the Lunar Memory ego gift? I think I got it once a couple weeks after MD2 released, and never saw it again since then... And I do quite a lot of of MD.

EGO gifts have tiers of rarity, and that happens to be the rarest. I believe you're only going to see gifts on that tier on floor 4 and 5?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Marluxia posted:

EGO gifts have tiers of rarity, and that happens to be the rarest. I believe you're only going to see gifts on that tier on floor 4 and 5?
I can't verify that last bit, it definitely would make sense though , but I can say that you can get any tier of item from the initial EGO gift of a normal dungeon, and rerolling the initial gift is the best way to try to round out your EGO compendium. It'll probably take a while to get Lunar Memory that way though, it's got a drop rate akin to rolling an EGO or something.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
HOLY poo poo SINCLAIR'S 9:2 EGO IS IMPENDING DAY 2 WITH A REALLY GOOD PASSIVE

On heads hit with a Lust skill, it reduces his and his opponents sanity by 5 (so really drat good with Nclair's S2), and on kill with a Lust skill gives 5 lust resources (so it mostly refunds itself if it kills someone, and if you stack it with Impending Day it'll give TEN LUST RESOURCES PER KILL)

Also the EGO itself is 3-weight AoE so if you kill three dudes with it that's a total profit of 25 lust. That's loving WILD.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

The battlepass Effervescent Corrosion looks pretty strong too. Not quite like Rime, but a solid addition to tremor teams.
e: honestly all the new ego lookin p good

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

ngl, I think Chapter 5 story-wise is the weakest one yet.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
ID teaser:

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1730142392647659917

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

ngl, I think Chapter 5 story-wise is the weakest one yet.
I'm of the opposite opinion. While the dungeon wasn't quite as good as Canto IV's, I'd say the way stronger leadup and the general quality of the dungeon's story - Ahab was pretty phenomenal and I appreciate how they managed to make Ishamel moving on from her obsession satisfying rather than a letdown since it hurt Ahab way more than physical violence ever could, that hag would have lived out the rest of her life as a miserable mindbroken wreck if it wasn't for Greg's mom - puts it at the top of what we've had so far. Also Dante becoming genuine friends with Ishmael and saving her from herself was sweet. Not as cathartic as FLY PERFECT WINGS but still good.

Oh of course it's Heathcliff.

Edit: boss song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHOOMpHCMs

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 30, 2023

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Pre-nerf bragging rights now forever closed to INFERIOR Gamers

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Theantero posted:

Pre-nerf bragging rights now forever closed to INFERIOR Gamers
hey just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS (5-36 was harder pre-patch) on beating Gasharpoon (who is easier now) I know you've been working hard to clear the fight (it was way harder before) and nobody can take the achievement from you (i beat them on release, it was harder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Good god, what the gently caress is up with the third phase of GasHarpoon???

GasHarpoon's got 644HP on third phase. Gains 30 stacks of Queequeg. Every turn GasHarpoon uses a counter, that uses those stacks. On counter use, GasHarpoon gets a shield that uses 10% max hp plus 0.5%*stack, so that's 161 shield to chew through on first turn, and you want to do that, not just because you want to damage the boss, but if boss has any shield left at the end of the turn, it gains 5 more stack, but it loses 10 stack if it doesn't.

But it also performs the counter every 10 stack. So not only are you gonna have to chew through ~161-65 shield per turn, it's also hitting 3 of your sinners for unavoidable damage, unless I misunderstood how to combat counter skills. The next turn, if you're successful, you still have to face two more counters, then one more.

The issue being, this is the third phase. You've had to go through two phases worth of resources, be it ego or hp or sp. And the counters are a bitch, because if one of those counter staggers a sinner or two, you lose that damage potential the next turn and now it's harder to remove that shield. OH ALSO IT CAUSES 5 SP DAMAGE PER SINNER'S COIN WHILE ATTACKING.

edit: Oh, it got nerfed? What's the change now?

Ah, HP and damage got nerfed. I did think it used to have 700+ HP

Finally got past it, I got a perfect phase 1 and 2, minimum resource spent, which helped massively. That was a rough initial boss pre-nerf jeez

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 30, 2023