Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For some reason only the established bands use their name for their traits, even though they have come up with band names for all the other genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I understand that adapting your board to what you're getting is a skill in TFT, but I really hate having to completely retool your team based on whatever headliner you can find at level 6/7/8. It's just not what I'm looking for in the game (slowly building up your team by adding units piece by piece) and it never goes well for me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Irisize posted:

I understand that adapting your board to what you're getting is a skill in TFT, but I really hate having to completely retool your team based on whatever headliner you can find at level 6/7/8. It's just not what I'm looking for in the game (slowly building up your team by adding units piece by piece) and it never goes well for me.

I honestly don't really bother swapping my headliner unless I find one that replaces the one I have (as in has the same double trait) or works with the team I've got but has an alternative double trait when I no longer need the one I have. Re-tooling your entire team at level 6/7/8 sounds a bit absurd.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man it's cruel of riot to put a kda themed board in the gacha

I will remain strong!!

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

I honestly don't really bother swapping my headliner unless I find one that replaces the one I have (as in has the same double trait) or works with the team I've got but has an alternative double trait when I no longer need the one I have. Re-tooling your entire team at level 6/7/8 sounds a bit absurd.

Sometimes, you get lucky with a 3 or 4 cost with the same headliner. It's actually quite worth it as you're immediately getting an early 2star.

This set really trains players on switching halfway through, though. Like going for a strong early trait before pivoting into the actual one you want later.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I honestly just don't ever go for a headliner higher than 3-cost and don't buy one until I find one that I intend to roll with into the end.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Sometimes, you get lucky with a 3 or 4 cost with the same headliner. It's actually quite worth it as you're immediately getting an early 2star.

This set really trains players on switching halfway through, though. Like going for a strong early trait before pivoting into the actual one you want later.

Yeah, getting the same headliner is the one where I absolutely always swap.

I probably should switch more often, but I really struggle with that myself so I'd rather detect what "good" low cost headliners are.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Unless you're going for a reroll comp early headliners will most be for utility anyway and you'll want to switch them later on to 3 star a 3 cost carry or get a guaranteed 2 star 4 cost. Half the time I'm taking a headliner zac or blitz for an instant frontline anyway and just naturaling a carry.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or you can just force a bard/mf and pray for All That Jazz, the most busted augment in the game.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lore question

having never played LoL or watched Arcane, does the show explain how Jinx becomes crazy or are the two just different Jinxes

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

lore question

having never played LoL or watched Arcane, does the show explain how Jinx becomes crazy or are the two just different Jinxes

The show explains how she ended up how she did, more or less. They are sort of two different Jinxes at the time because the show had some changes from the canon of the game elsewhere but the overarching plot was accurate for Jinx's development.

They have now, this year, declared that going forward everything related to Runeterra would be the same continuity, and this means Arcane is now entirely correct and any differences are due to updating the old lore to Arcane being slow-going. Thus, it explains what happened to cause Jinx to be the way she is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Alan Smithee posted:

lore question

Basically two different jinxes. OG jinx was just created that way and is a mash up of tank girl, harley quinn, and jhonen vasquez stuff in general. Arcane jinx has a detailed history and is a less fun kind of crazy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all the game lore is completely contradictory and slapdash

im pretty sure they still reference 'summoners' in some places

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Arcane Jinx and LoL Jinx are two completely different characters with the same surface-level aesthetics and pretty much nothing else in common.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
According to the canon of League of Legends, League of Legends is not canon

Much like the deep-folk of Dwemereth, they've written themselves out of existence

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I downloaded all of Arcane and even though I've played this game for like 1000 hours it looked like Toy Story and was uninteresting after half of episode 1

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm sorry your eyes don't work.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elephunk posted:

I downloaded all of Arcane and even though I've played this game for like 1000 hours it looked like Toy Story and was uninteresting after half of episode 1

what

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Elephunk posted:

what the gently caress??

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

all the game lore is completely contradictory and slapdash

im pretty sure they still reference 'summoners' in some places

I mean Summoner Spells are the obvious ones, but notably Veigar is still very obviously addressing the summoner in a some of his voice lines even if he doesn't say "summoner". "Know that if the tables were turned, I would show you no mercy!" and "Your commands tire me" being the most obvious.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elephunk posted:

:mods:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cho'gath and Miss Fortune both say "Summoner" a lot in their voice lines. I'm sure a lot of the oldest champs do, but I don't get them in ARAM all the time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Arcane is neat to look at but I didn't find it very interesting either :shobon:

I checked out after 3 or 4

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Irisize posted:

This set is definitely a lot different than the last few.

I like it as it reminds of how TFT used to be a while ago, but I get why it's not for everyone.

Also, even though Legends were a balancing nightmare, I think they helped to bring in new players and lead to some interesting gameplay choices.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I didn't really care for arcane, and if that's the way the lore is going its probably going to lead to more heros who jabber constantly instead of punchy quips and bad puns so not necessarily looking forward to that. Not that the old lore was in any way good (Bob nashahago)

Now that I've got more time on this season of TFT its really cool how they splice in different music based on your team comp, only problem is I can't ever NOT take disco if it falls in my lap

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Arcane's central issue was the writers took their plot way too seriously without the corresponding writing talent to execute, so the story progressed at a crawl and the plot beats were predictable and uninteresting.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tfw everybody wants to be ur enemy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like some parts of arcane, but the jayce stuff was mostly dull. its still by far the best thing league's put out writing-wise (minus the 5 paragraph short story about Rammus ofc) but thats not exactly a high bar to clear. The first 3 episodes were the best part.

It also had basically no relation to League of Legends proper.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 30, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it also had the problem a lot of stuff with like, exaggerated set design has, where the undercity is meant to be a terrible place to live but its way more fun to animate 'grungy underbelly junkttech sewer world' than 'boring vaguely french upper class' so the undercity just looks way more fun and cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Who still play tft? I'm so lonely

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arcane definitely has it's slow parts, but man the sequence in the final episode with jinx and vi at the table was really good. Legitimately felt tense despite knowing nothing bad could really happen to anyone involved

The jayce parts were definitely the less interesting part to me.

I really liked it a ton though, as a whole. Plus I felt like the series itself looked amazing

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Arcane is extremely good actually

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
i love league of legends!!! its the best!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Servaetes posted:

i love league of legends!!! its the best!

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved League of Legends.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is literally the first time I've ever seen someone say that they didn't like Arcane. It's weird, like I fell through a wormhole to an alternative timeline or something.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
oh there were some really, REALLY bad posts in the tviv thread

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

League-brand Invoker has some of the dullest abilities I ever seen put on an invoker-like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

league basically removed all the interesting abilities in the game via reworks. urgot ult, asol orbs, etc. everything is just dashes, damage, and skillshots, and some flavor of % health damage.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's still some interesting designs that haven't been wedged into the dashlord skirmish format; Sion still plays a different game from most other heroes, even after they completely deleted his AD build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
new urgot's update was really good and i like his ult a lot more than a very janky version of a dota hero's ult

most of the reworks are solid i think, maybe the worst ones were aatrox, pantheon and my poor bug skarner. skarner is getting a rework though so i have faith they'll do better than forcing him to carry around dominion as a passive