Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's a fairly saturated market; what seperates this from any other thing besides TE branding and a reasonable price point given TE branding?

It's still close to SP404 money.

It’s cheaper than SP404 and definitely more portable. Might have better pads, wouldn’t be super hard to accomplish that.

It’s $200 cheaper than a new sp404-mkII which seems like a different price point to me.

I already have an sp404 so I don’t have a need for it, but if the fader can be sorted I see it as a boon to those who don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

It's a fairly saturated market; what seperates this from any other thing besides TE branding and a reasonable price point given TE branding?

I may have been wrong about the storage, I think it's 1gb and the 64mb figure refers to the RAM. Still there are a range of options for portable samplers now and if I was going to buy one I would save for something with more space for resampling.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
samplers still be anemic with the working memory, it kinda really sucks if they also don’t stream from disk, akai.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I totally get the attraction of having a physical thing with buttons and knobs, but software samplers (such as my personal favorite, koala) have effectively unlimited memory.

I guess this is more a critique of the hardware vendors than suggesting everyone buy an ipad and run an auv3 sampler. Memory ain't free but it is cheap and SD slots are cheap too. Everything should support as many samples as you can dream of, put a gig of ram in there or stream off a card. They should do full stereo samples too, no excuse to be limited to mono anymore.

Especially at the prices this type of hardware commands.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The problem with samplers has always been in the file and data management, not the storage. More space requires more expression requires a bigger display requires more complex software and before you know it you’re in S6000 territory again and then you might as well just use a laptop.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Laserjet 4P posted:

The problem with samplers has always been in the file and data management, not the storage. More space requires more expression requires a bigger display requires more complex software and before you know it you’re in S6000 territory again and then you might as well just use a laptop.

Idk, I imagine if my digitakt had more space the only difference is id potentially have to scroll more

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You will take Renoise from my cold dead hands.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Laserjet 4P posted:

More space requires more expression requires a bigger display

I don't think that's how it works, but it would explain the display on the EP-133.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I doubt it will happen, but I hope the PO-35 SPEAK gets the same treatment the K.O. just got. Having a sample-based, hardware solution for vocals befitting electronic music felt like striking gold, but the SPEAK's limitations mean I haven't incorporated it nearly as much as I would have otherwise liked to.

I am currently experiencing an extreme form of DAW-lessness following the death of my laptop. I also rescind about a third of my criticisms of the SP-404 mkII. Square peg, round hole situation.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If you still had a laptop, Bitspeek could be what you’re dreaming of.

snorch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 28, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm putting together a patch for a live ambient set I'm doing in January, and I'd like to add one more reverb to my modular mess. Right now I have an FX Aid (which is currently being used on its Vowel Reverb setting), a TipTop ZVerb (which is currently being used in its Chord Reverb setting), and a Music Thing spring reverb (which I'm not using because I'm trying to make my performance rig as physically tight as possible). First on my list is the NE Desmodus Versio, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. My local shop has one of the Folktek multi-FX units, which is intriguing to me too: https://www.patchwerks.com/products/folktek-alter-1-multi-fx

Also I brought a skiff along on my Thanksgiving trip to see family, and now my sister wants me to put together something basic for her two kids (11 and 14) for Christmas. :) I'm debating either finding a used Neutron or putting together something small with Doepfer and Dreadbox modules.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm putting together a patch for a live ambient set I'm doing in January, and I'd like to add one more reverb to my modular mess. Right now I have an FX Aid (which is currently being used on its Vowel Reverb setting), a TipTop ZVerb (which is currently being used in its Chord Reverb setting), and a Music Thing spring reverb (which I'm not using because I'm trying to make my performance rig as physically tight as possible). First on my list is the NE Desmodus Versio, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. My local shop has one of the Folktek multi-FX units, which is intriguing to me too: https://www.patchwerks.com/products/folktek-alter-1-multi-fx

Also I brought a skiff along on my Thanksgiving trip to see family, and now my sister wants me to put together something basic for her two kids (11 and 14) for Christmas. :) I'm debating either finding a used Neutron or putting together something small with Doepfer and Dreadbox modules.

That's rad.
I'm enjoying the reverb on milky way. It's stereo and slim.
A disting is a really flexible option with a couple reverb choices.
If you're putting together modules, maybe a microfreak to go along with them as a controller?
Great synth on its own, and a super weird / cool touchplate that puts out pitch and aftertouch cv, plus gate. No midi modules required.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

RocketMermaid posted:

First on my list is the NE Desmodus Versio, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I recently got a DV and it's awesome. I've been using it mostly in a small rack setup and running it end of chain. I especially like the built in filter. It is a very digital sounding filter, which I like, but just fyi. And if you get sick of using it as your 4th reverb, you can swap firmwares and make it a delay, distortion, compressor, whatever. I still haven't actually done that because the reverb is so dang good.

The other options might be a Clouds/Monsoon/Typhoon granular reverb. I have a Calsynth Typhoon and there's a reason it's a modular classic. Sounds super good.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

That's rad.
I'm enjoying the reverb on milky way. It's stereo and slim.
A disting is a really flexible option with a couple reverb choices.
If you're putting together modules, maybe a microfreak to go along with them as a controller?
Great synth on its own, and a super weird / cool touchplate that puts out pitch and aftertouch cv, plus gate. No midi modules required.

I had a Disting for a while (two actually!), but once I figured out the things I wanted to use it for I went with modules for those instead. I can't stand the interface.

I'm iffy about anything from Endorphin.es, since I know a lot of people who've had issues with their modules and their panels are always hyper-crowded and unintuitive to me. I keep hearing about how good Ghost is, but every time I try to understand it my brain goes "nuh-uh".

And I have a Keystep Pro for live playing, and an Eloquencer for sequencing :)

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I recently got a DV and it's awesome. I've been using it mostly in a small rack setup and running it end of chain. I especially like the built in filter. It is a very digital sounding filter, which I like, but just fyi. And if you get sick of using it as your 4th reverb, you can swap firmwares and make it a delay, distortion, compressor, whatever. I still haven't actually done that because the reverb is so dang good.

The other options might be a Clouds/Monsoon/Typhoon granular reverb. I have a Calsynth Typhoon and there's a reason it's a modular classic. Sounds super good.

Yeah, the ability to switch to the other firmwares is part of why the Versio appeals to me. I had a Clouds early on in building my rig two years ago and just never quite connected with it, but I've been considering going back and trying it again. But only one of the versions that has the separate knobs/sliders for the different Blend functions - the multiple things tied to the Blend knob was part of what never worked for me.

I've also been thinking about the MFX from ALM Busy Circuits, since I've tried it before and liked it, but for performance I like the idea of having a lot of modulation like the DV does.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sorry, I meant if you're putting together modules for the nieces and/or nephews, a microfreak to go along with it would be pretty swell.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

RocketMermaid posted:

How do you like the Eloquencer? How do you use it? What other sequencers (if any) have you used before (or still use alongside it)?

I ask just because I'm soliciting people using Eloquencers for their thoughts, esp. compared to other sequencers (if applicable). I don't have one, but I've idly thought about it, but have held off for now (I have too many different sequencers as it is).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

minidracula posted:

How do you like the Eloquencer? How do you use it? What other sequencers (if any) have you used before (or still use alongside it)?

I ask just because I'm soliciting people using Eloquencers for their thoughts, esp. compared to other sequencers (if applicable). I don't have one, but I've idly thought about it, but have held off for now (I have too many different sequencers as it is).

I honestly love it - I find it super intuitive and very powerful, and it was the brains for my first live performance earlier this year :) I've tried using my KSP as my main sequencer before but that just never quite works out somehow. The one thing to think about is that its firmware hasn't updated in some time and some people I know have tripped over some bugs here and there, but that's never been a problem for me.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I have fx aid xl and alm mfx and i strongly prefer the mfx due to the screen and more flexible cv options. both are great tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dropped $200 on a year of roland cloud because of the two lifetime instrument deals it comes with. i'm kind of regretting it now since i have the v-collection and the roland versions aren't noticeably better

oh well live and learn i guess. any standout instruments in there that i should definitely play with?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

i dropped $200 on a year of roland cloud because of the two lifetime instrument deals it comes with. i'm kind of regretting it now since i have the v-collection and the roland versions aren't noticeably better

oh well live and learn i guess. any standout instruments in there that i should definitely play with?

TR-808 :v:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

RocketMermaid posted:

I had a Disting for a while (two actually!), but once I figured out the things I wanted to use it for I went with modules for those instead. I can't stand the interface.

I'm iffy about anything from Endorphin.es, since I know a lot of people who've had issues with their modules and their panels are always hyper-crowded and unintuitive to me. I keep hearing about how good Ghost is, but every time I try to understand it my brain goes "nuh-uh".

Yeah, the ability to switch to the other firmwares is part of why the Versio appeals to me. I had a Clouds early on in building my rig two years ago and just never quite connected with it, but I've been considering going back and trying it again. But only one of the versions that has the separate knobs/sliders for the different Blend functions - the multiple things tied to the Blend knob was part of what never worked for me.

I've also been thinking about the MFX from ALM Busy Circuits, since I've tried it before and liked it, but for performance I like the idea of having a lot of modulation like the DV does.

I got sold an mfx at my local synth shop and it’s pretty banging. It’s definitely a bit on the lo-fi side of things, and it only has 3 cv inputs, but it’s very easy to assign those to basically every parameter of every algorithm and most crucially of all, I can see what effect it’s set to without having to squint at a knob

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Because I want to talk to fellow addicts who also enjoy my [i]particular[i] current drugs of choice, Eurorack-wise, is anyone else here been into either (or both!) the Pittsburgh Modular Safari series (including the goon who previously recently alerted me to the release of The Toad, which arrived for me on Monday!) (and/)or Tiptop Audio's Buchla "t" series modules?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

RocketMermaid posted:

Disting EX >> 2 distings :colbert:

screen rulez

I might do a 1u screen mount in my new rack

minidracula posted:

Because I want to talk to fellow addicts who also enjoy my [i]particular[i] current drugs of choice, Eurorack-wise, is anyone else here been into either (or both!) the Pittsburgh Modular Safari series (including the goon who previously recently alerted me to the release of The Toad, which arrived for me on Monday!) (and/)or Tiptop Audio's Buchla "t" series modules?

this was prolly me but I will just say, toad goes RIBBIT

love the thing

try feeding the 7&12 outs into L/R into a stereo SVF, mimeophon, etc. Just insanely broad spatialization. It does feel almost like a "guitar pedal", it's simple, but, you know -- do a thing, do it well.

Tiptop's Buchla poo poo always gets eyes from me but it is so expensive and I think I'm going to end up using 2024 to build a fully modular video setup because I'm dumb as poo poo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It looks cool

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

inferis posted:

It looks cool

that's what they said about Daikatana

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

that's what they said about Daikatana

Daikatana is one of my favorite GBC games

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

minidracula posted:

I don't have any of the TipTop Buchla modules, but I've gotten to play with them several times at Patchwerks and they're great. Especially the quad LPG and the Uncertainty module, I absolutely lust after both of those.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sunvox creator is teasing a new noise app and I am pretty hyped. Fractal Bits is probably my favorite space fart app of them all so whatever this space horror noise maker is I'll probably abuse the poo poo out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKGonUJ7dZM

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Teenage Engineering KO-II came and it's dope. More of a sampler than a synth, but I seriously love this thing and suddenly want a Yamaha Reface CP to pair with it for the ultimate computer-free portable setup.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Corb3t posted:

My Teenage Engineering KO-II came and it's dope. More of a sampler than a synth, but I seriously love this thing and suddenly want a Yamaha Reface CP to pair with it for the ultimate computer-free portable setup.

How's yer fader tho

Synthcube just sent me an email that my order shipped! I placed it on the 18th :negative:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

How's yer fader tho

Synthcube just sent me an email that my order shipped! I placed it on the 18th :negative:

Completely fine, thankfully. Installing the knob was a bit stressful.

It's been fun learning and pulling random samples from pop culture references and manipulating them. I'm pretty familiar with how Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators work, so I felt right at home in some aspects. There are times where I wish it had something more like the OP-1's screen, but that would probably make it $500+ or whatever.

The sample utility accessible through a web browser is really nifty as well - it makes organizing, editing, and loading samples onto pads a lot easier.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Corb3t posted:

The sample utility accessible through a web browser is really nifty as well - it makes organizing, editing, and loading samples onto pads a lot easier.

Is the tool just for individual samples, no backup of patterns like the original KO's audio export?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can download individual samples through the web utility, but I’m not sure if there’s a way to dump every sample at once. Still learning it though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately it's ios/android only but this is pretty fun if you like noisy drones: https://www.warmplace.ru/soft/relic/

https://i.imgur.com/wdbLGF7.mp4

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnLKEXaG5s

I am having an absolute blast learning video basics from Mainbow. Chroma Cauldron told me he expects to have more prebuilt Waveshapers this month so I am F5'ing that daily.

Mainbow here is being modulated by: a B&W version of the underlaying video mixed into HUE, a beat from PNW that is clocking drums and also making LUMA flash out hard, and then a spectragraph of the audio from plaits (only) being mixed with the video-ghost into HUE, then the whole thing alpha blended with video source.

I am barely cracking the surface of this one module.

I think 2024 is mostly going to be buying LZX video stuff.

Malekko makes a specific version of their AD/LFO module pinned to the LZX 0-1v range (https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/adlfo-v/) and that seems like a thing I should definitely own soon. I am loving with voltage meters etc to crudely get stuff in that range, now. It seems to me that LZX stuff doesn't object to having full euro CV thrown at it and in fact going wildly outside of range can produce some interesting things, but being able to dial that in is good, and if I want patches that are a little less frantic then I need LFOs that operate down to lower frequencies than the 4 function gens built into Mainbow.

This stuff is absolute rad, and I see my path changing a bit because lately I have been setting up Chroma video patches to a Pam's clock before I even start patching audio :laugh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have any issues with it myself but you should probably put epilepsy warnings on that type of stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

I don't have any issues with it myself but you should probably put epilepsy warnings on that type of stuff.

fair, added "FLASHING LIGHTS WARNING" to title, and can continue to for such things.

I do a fair amount of accessibility testing professionally; Youtube has been chided for not finding a way to auto-warn on such content, but the flipside is that just as sight-disabled users use 4lly and similar, I think that plugins like this are commonly used by epileptics, as well. But there's no reason not to add warnings, just like there's no reason not to adhere to the best general standards for making web content generally accessible to sight, color or audio impaired users.

I'm certainly sensitive to this generally, one of my kids has a seizure disorder, and late great goon Sea of Losers (also known as Epileper, lol) was fundamental in getting me into music production and he struggled with epilepsy specifically for most of his life.

That plugin stops the video and flips a warning within like a half second of this video starting, heh

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 3, 2023

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

minidracula posted:

Adore the Buchla T stuff, just perfect, if you think you might want it you do and it's getting cheaper second hand now (which has me looking @ SoUs and 5 step sequencers)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's december, ship the keystages please korg!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnLKEXaG5s

I am having an absolute blast learning video basics from Mainbow. Chroma Cauldron told me he expects to have more prebuilt Waveshapers this month so I am F5'ing that daily.

Mainbow here is being modulated by: a B&W version of the underlaying video mixed into HUE, a beat from PNW that is clocking drums and also making LUMA flash out hard, and then a spectragraph of the audio from plaits (only) being mixed with the video-ghost into HUE, then the whole thing alpha blended with video source.

How long did it take for your mainbow to ship? Paid for one a week or two ago and haven't heard a thing.