Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Adenoid Dan posted:

I don't use Reddit much, mostly just browse around a bit when someone links me there, but it does seem uniquely vulnerable to manipulation by hasbara because of downvoting.

non chronologically sorted communication is haram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Adenoid Dan posted:

I don't use Reddit much, mostly just browse around a bit when someone links me there, but it does seem uniquely vulnerable to manipulation by hasbara because of downvoting.

Reddit is totally dominated by the propaganda. There's one Palestine subreddit that's generally tolerable (except some tryhards keep rolling in posting transparently antisemitic stuff in an attempt to try to get it shut down, the mods have had to play whack-a-mole quite a bit) and everywhere else they've basically managed to convince people the beheaded babies story is real.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I wanted to see local reaction to the Irish father getting his daughter back. But I doubt the prolific user golda_m from that thread, who also posts in other regional subreddits for European countries criticizing Hamas, as well as the 2nd Yom Kippur war subreddit is a real local.

Popularity ranked posts is definitely easier to game than chronological posting. Enough downvotes in a short space of time and Reddit doesn't even expand the comment by default, making most people never even see it.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the new model hasbara on reddit is loving rad, it's all deranged modi posters with hosed up english going as hard as possible. a truly magnificent beast.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

boo boo bear posted:

the new model hasbara on reddit is loving rad, it's all deranged modi posters with hosed up english going as hard as possible. a truly magnificent beast.

how could the seeseepee owned site do dis

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

idk if you are fat brooklyn piece of poo poo who wants a free house and the idf to assign you a girlfriend you'll probably say no to that and instead scream at you on r/worldnews for being a hamaslover from the safety of their apartment

mods change my name to 'hammslover' thanks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The families of the hostages really should be getting the gently caress out of Israel, it seems like there's a clear build up for using them as scapegoats for brutal reprisals.

The contradictions are coming home that Israel's population are meant to be expendable ablative armour for the settler-colonial project.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

Yeah, but now we have LLMs so you can hasbara those up too, without it being obvious like chronological copy and paste posts would be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The families of the hostages really should be getting the gently caress out of Israel, it seems like there's a clear build up for using them as scapegoats for brutal reprisals.

The contradictions are coming home that Israel's population are meant to be expendable ablative armour for the settler-colonial project.

Palestinian hostagesd/detainees need to get the gently caress out as well as based on previous exchanges they are likely to be rearrested and tortured.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

loving scum.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

How many days left on the current cease fire?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zodium posted:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Egg Moron posted:

How many days left on the current cease fire?

today is the last day unless they say otherwise

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry if there's a better thread for this I'll GTFO, but what is the Houthi endgame with that container ship? Like great they're being cool with the detained crew and all but are they taking it somewhere or is it just parked off shore or what?

Don't get me wrong, there are worse places for that crew to be but it would probably be disingenuous of me to pretend they probably wouldn't rather be at home, or at the very least not on a seized ship, so have the Houthis said what their long term play is here?

I mean much like an awkward smalltalk party with acquaintances of people I barely know, two things can be true -- I'm not in danger of my life and having an okay time, but I'd rather be at home.

some kinda jackal has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Nov 29, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mere disruption is pretty much the point; every day that ship is seized is a day it's not going to its destination, the cargo isn't getting offloaded and the owners aren't getting paid. And it's disruption as more ships are diverted to a cripplingly long detour, and business with Israel is no longer reliable or safe. Everything else that might happen is a bonus.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

that tweet about every Israeli official being constitutionally unable to not come across as Donald Southerlands character in hunger games is so on point

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Marenghi posted:

I wanted to see local reaction to the Irish father getting his daughter back. But I doubt the prolific user golda_m from that thread, who also posts in other regional subreddits for European countries criticizing Hamas, as well as the 2nd Yom Kippur war subreddit is a real local.

Popularity ranked posts is definitely easier to game than chronological posting. Enough downvotes in a short space of time and Reddit doesn't even expand the comment by default, making most people never even see it.

Any posts about Palestine in R/Ireland are getting brigaded to death. Local opinion as far as I have experienced is that most people are very happy Emily has been released and think the father is a very very weird person.

(also, for several pages back, thanks to the poster who clarified that Emily's stepmother was killed on Oct. 7th. That poor child has had a very difficult life so far :( )

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

that tweet about every Israeli official being constitutionally unable to not come across as Donald Southerlands character in hunger games is so on point

The Israeli ambassador to Belgium:

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

some kinda jackal posted:

Sorry if there's a better thread for this I'll GTFO, but what is the Houthi endgame with that container ship?

economic warfare. snatch one ship and the rest have to go all the way around the horn of africa.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

kinda anti-semitic for the israelis to compare themselves to the brabant gang but i guess it fits...

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Sorry if there's a better thread for this I'll GTFO, but what is the Houthi endgame with that container ship? Like great they're being cool with the detained crew and all but are they taking it somewhere or is it just parked off shore or what?

Don't get me wrong, there are worse places for that crew to be but it would probably be disingenuous of me to pretend they probably wouldn't rather be at home, or at the very least not on a seized ship, so have the Houthis said what their long term play is here?

I mean much like an awkward smalltalk party with acquaintances of people I barely know, two things can be true -- I'm not in danger of my life and having an okay time, but I'd rather be at home.

this is a good thread on it, but tl;dr: they're forcing israeli owned ships to divert away from the suez and instead take the long rear end trip around the cape, adding a ton of cost on them from the new length of the trip and also lost revenue from the longer turnaround on their trips

https://x.com/revolutionaryem/status/1729692220528250949?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

why is this in English though? At whom is she even posting?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

you’re right there is probably a GBS container ship mega thread for you but I’ll leave you with a bit of info: people who work on container ships are away from home a whole gently caress of a lot longer than they’ve been in Yemen. it’s not a career for people who want to duck out of small talk to get home to game asap

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1729844354452222411

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

genericnick posted:

I'm not as hype as Al-Saqr, but where is Israel going to get new settlers now? And the social contract about conscription as some big apartheid summer camp is also broken.

I heard israelis unironically say that huge numbers of jews are going to move into israel now due to the massive rise in antisemitism :rubby:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

don't worry, she corrected her statement:

salah abdeslam is one of the guys who did the bataclan terror attacks, the victims of which i can only assume from her tweet she doesn't respect at all

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The goal for the Houthis (as well as Hezbollah) to keep the heat on Israel both militarily and economically to force a better deal out of them. Perhaps the ship gets caught in limbo, but the ultimate goal is to return it and open the sea lanes for a better deal.

I do think the US (and much of the Middle East including Qatar) wants this thing to be over because it is immensely dangerous, but at the same time Hamas very much knows how much it can trust Israel.

So right not specifically there is almost certainly a bunch of backroom negotiations going on to see who actually has leverage.

At least the people themselves are getting a respite for the time being.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Al-Saqr posted:

Some Updates:-

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%81%D8%B9%D8%A9

Ben Gevir making GBS threads his pants

Ben Gvir calls for withdrawing Israeli citizenship from “disloyal” football players

The far-right Israeli Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben Gvir, submitted a request to withdraw the citizenship and work visas of foreign football players in the Israeli league, who chose not to carry a banner calling for the release of Israeli detainees held by the Palestinian Hamas movement, in the Gaza Strip.

Ben Gvir's demand came after Swedish defender Daniel Sundgren and 4 other foreign players, in Maccabi Haifa's last match, refused to raise a banner written in English demanding the return of the detainees, according to the Times of Israel newspaper.

Most of the players in question are in Israel on work visas, and do not actually hold Israeli citizenship, according to the newspaper.

The Israeli Minister of the Interior, Moshe Arbel, rejected Itamar Ben Gvir’s request, and stressed in a letter addressed to him, saying: “It is not permissible to strip a person of his citizenship because he does not carry a sign, no matter how important it is. I recommend that we deal with the task of preserving Israel’s security and safety.” .

=======================================

All signs are pointing to a permanent ceasefire being worked on, if this is the case then Hamas has decisively won the war

- Sign (1) Diplomatic and Internal pressure in israel -

G7 foreign ministers support extending the truce in Gaza

The G7 foreign ministers said in a joint statement that they support extending the current and future truce in Gaza if necessary, to increase aid and facilitate the release of all detainees and prisoners.

The joint statement called for every effort to be made to ensure humanitarian support reaches civilians, including food, water, fuel and medical supplies.

The group also expressed in its statement its commitment to establishing a Palestinian state within the framework of the two-state solution.

----

French official: We need to extend the truce to reach a ceasefire

The French delegate to the United Nations, Nicolas de Rivière, told Al Jazeera:

Israel has the right to eliminate terrorists and must observe humanitarian law
France condemns the October 7 attack and considers it a terrorist attack
We aim to free all the hostages and reach a permanent ceasefire
We need to extend the truce until a ceasefire is achieved.

------

Sign (2) The head of the CIA is meeting with egyptian, Qatari, Israeli and Quite Possibly Hamas Political representatives to reach a wider deal and agreement to end the war:-

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/28/politics/cia-director-qatar-meetings-israel-egypt/index.html

David Barnea - head of Mossad
William Burns - Director of the CIA
Abbas Kamel - R - Egyptian Intelligence
and Sameh Shoukry, the Egyptian Foreign Minister, are all in Doha to meet with Hamas leaders

All of this confirms that the phone was transferred to Gaza.
Biden Burns Sunak Anyone... The phone is in Gaza and the address is Gaza

https://twitter.com/mamoun1234/status/1729639208157905159?s=20

-----

Sign (3) Israeli political society is buckling and wants an end tot he war:-

Ehud Barak tries to sugercoat that Israel Lost the war

Barak: Netanyahu must step down, and his government is leading us to war without end

Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak said that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is unable to lead Israel during the war, and that a national unity government must be formed without Netanyahu and the extreme right.

In an article in Haaretz newspaper, Barak said, “Israel is approaching a critical crossroads, and completing the task of dismantling Hamas’s military and governmental capabilities is extremely important even in the face of external pressures, but the matter will require months and the accumulated tensions may worsen behind closed doors, including with The United States,” he said.

Barak stressed that Netanyahu's failure to lead the war comes through his denial that victory cannot be achieved without a clear plan for the next day, in addition to his association with an "unholy" alliance with Itamar Ben Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, who are exploiting him to impose their ideology that Gaza must return to Full Israeli control and responsibility.

-------

Israelis want the ceasefire to extend further

Efforts in Israel to extend the truce

The Israeli Broadcasting Authority said that there are efforts in Israel to extend the ceasefire after the end of the additional two days of the truce.

-------

why is the CIA negotiating the peace deal and not the state department? America just going mask off about who really runs poo poo?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the us wants it over because its caused and is causing them permanent damage on the world stage

they could care less about the actual genocide hence why they have supported/aided it for decades

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

R. Mute posted:

don't worry, she corrected her statement:

salah abdeslam is one of the guys who did the bataclan terror attacks, the victims of which i can only assume from her tweet she doesn't respect at all

When you start by using Holocaust victims, why wouldn't you use any other victim you can think of?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
I've seen some speculation on the ceasefire effectively becoming indefinite and freezing the conflict, but the IDF didn't withdraw from Gaza right? Unless they were to withdraw there's no way a ceasefire would last longer than the few days it already has*

*in theory. In practice Israel has already broken the ceasefire several times

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

HallelujahLee posted:

the us wants it over because its caused and is causing them permanent damage on the world stage

they could care less about the actual genocide hence why they have supported/aided it for decades

This, and it's making their occupations in Syria and Iraq untenable. Their bases have been hit hard the past couple of months, and the US is so thinly stretched they have no real means of deterring further attacks.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The reference to a high profile terrorist to misdirect from the fact that many or most of these are children who were accused of throwing stones and held without charge or trial is kind of undercut by the fact that the Israeli Minister of National security is a worshipper of Baruch Goldstein.

Or it should be if any of the media would do their nominal jobs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I attended an online seminar today organized by the People's Coalition on Food Security - Global and the International League of Peoples' Struggle

they had a number of speakers on, particularly a representative from the Arab Network for Food Sovereignty, who spoke of Israeli use of white phosphorus to destroy crops in Southern Lebanon, as part of their deliberate strategy to inflict starvation and food insecurity upon Palestinians

my big takeaway from the event is that this isn't letting up - there's are already marches and events set for Dec 4 and in particular Dec 10, the 75th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights

ceasefire, no ceasefire, it's a bit hard to see, at least from today, how the level of activism for this is going to stop for as long as Israel is still occupying Palestine

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
There's a post on r/Palestine showing someone's hand sliced up because people who posted hostage posters in the US taped razor blades under the corner

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

R. Mute posted:

She neither doesn't respect french judiciary system . It still far from perfect, but he had a real due procees in a real justice court. With contradictory debates, a real defense, etc . We don't put some random childs fom many years in justice parody with military courts. gently caress her.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hmmm no signs of an extension yet maybe it wont happen?

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

e: Whoops he disappeared

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

I've seen some speculation on the ceasefire effectively becoming indefinite and freezing the conflict, but the IDF didn't withdraw from Gaza right? Unless they were to withdraw there's no way a ceasefire would last longer than the few days it already has*

*in theory. In practice Israel has already broken the ceasefire several times

yeah the entire military is still there including as you have said daily ceasefire violations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

as a warning there's a twitter video going round of a 9-year old kid getting shot by in Jenin. It's not censored. don't click on it

dti pwbf

double nine has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Nov 29, 2023