Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Lots of great changes in this patch. Migration and peasant hiring both fixed is great, so are the changes to military goods requirements. I loaded up a late game save where I had ~1000 battalions raised, before the patch I had a surplus of 500k, after the patch -1.7M. Should make going to war more interesting.

The UI changes are very good as well. Electricity got the auto expand option it needed. Being able to add/remove buildings in the local price for goods menu is fantastic as well, should make optimizing for local prices much more convenient. The added button to raise conscripts directly from army tab and the new mobilization rider cover my main issues with the military interface as well, good stuff.

Really happy with this on first glance, looking forward to starting a new run later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
This patch destroyed my muscle memory with the military tech tab changes and so it’s very bad and unplayable

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
No jokes though Im happy my gold mines are finally hiring people :)

Good patch

(But also all the ai diplo changes looks really good. Hopefully they work well)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The interface is also a lot more clear about if my states are just too illiterate to sustain even a single building, so the drop a university + social mobility decree strat works even better.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is it common for them to drop run-killing “hotfixes”? I will never financially recover from the amount of radios they added to my military

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
spend less on opium

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, anyone had any luck with Paraguay? It's got an interesting political setup, but I'm not sure how you go about being a menace when you're so much smaller than everyone around you.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is it common for them to drop run-killing “hotfixes”? I will never financially recover from the amount of radios they added to my military

I haven't tried out the new patch yet, but can't you just downgrade your troops to a level that doesn't require radios?

Granted, it's a bit annoying on the UI side since there's no downgrade button (unless they added one), so you'll have to deconstruct the higher-tier troops and rebuild them as lower-tier troops, but barracks build fast

The biggest impact on me is probably gonna be the re-enabling of convoy raiding since it means I'll actually have to care about large enemy navies again, but I can't really blame them for me cheesing the fact that it was so broken they had to disable it. Just hope the newly updated version isn't a miserable micromanaging hell to deal with

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Can I get some tips starting out as lower canada? Everything time I start to absorb other pieces of the country and my economy is finally starting to get some speed, Britain adds a few mores Ks to my subject payments and sends me deeper and deeper in the red

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Karanas posted:

Can I get some tips starting out as lower canada? Everything time I start to absorb other pieces of the country and my economy is finally starting to get some speed, Britain adds a few mores Ks to my subject payments and sends me deeper and deeper in the red

Subject taxes are a flat fee that scales on your government income. You're probably paying for military, construction or bureaucrats in the newly annexed regions that need to be downsized.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also got a fix in there where buildings will consider hiring in increments of less than 10% which should help hiring in cases of small markets and overbuilt buildings

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

StashAugustine posted:

Also got a fix in there where buildings will consider hiring in increments of less than 10% which should help hiring in cases of small markets and overbuilt buildings

This plus the immigration fix probably means that if you're a small country inside a bigger market and have the correct conditions for migration to happen, you're back to wanting to keep spamming buildings for the migration attraction and extra throughput even if you currently lack pops to fill those jobs.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
First impression from finishing my Brazil game with the new patch is that migrations are definitely fixed. Hitting Promote European Migration in the late game triggered almost 2 million Southern Italians to migrate. It was big enough that average SoL and literacy dropped for a few years.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What happens if you use a mobilization option (like Tobacco Supplements, for instance) without having enough of the goods required?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vengarr posted:

What happens if you use a mobilization option (like Tobacco Supplements, for instance) without having enough of the goods required?

You will get goods shortages for the barracks which will affect morale.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I feel like the Medical options should either require straight money upkeep or a "Pharmaceuticals" good? Fabric and liquor, or opium and tools, are a little odd as a stand-in for medical supplies.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Vengarr posted:

I feel like the Medical options should either require straight money upkeep or a "Pharmaceuticals" good? Fabric and liquor, or opium and tools, are a little odd as a stand-in for medical supplies.

yeah. there should be a chemical->pharmaceutical mini chain, with input of liquor or opium as sort of PMs. right now fertilizer is a sort of standin for that that doesn’t really work imo

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

IIRC Wiz or someone said they're trying to be conservative with adding new trade goods because each one is a big hit to tick time

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As a certain aristocrat said: Let them eat fertilizer.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

VostokProgram posted:

IIRC Wiz or someone said they're trying to be conservative with adding new trade goods because each one is a big hit to tick time

yes i think this is really bad!! you have to figure out how to optimize that. or im gonna become a supervillain or something

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I feel like all of them should use money instead of raw goods. The difficulty in supplying a state army usually came down to logistics, not from lack of materiel. At least until WW1 where armies became so huge that the rest of the country had to spend 100% of its economy supplying the military.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lady Radia posted:

yes i think this is really bad!! you have to figure out how to optimize that. or im gonna become a supervillain or something

I'm gonna guess that this is gonna be the "trade only goes one way" of the engine

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do folks have suggestions on early techs to prioritize as USA?

Thinking something like

Stock Exchange for MAPI (USA starts with it though)
Nationalism for Manifest Destiny (not sure how important it is to prioritize this early)
Production techs to improve Construction (Tools, Wood, Iron, Coal)
e.g. Atmospheric Engine, Bessemer Process, Mechanical Tools

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Considering how much investment each factory is, I'm fine with them not adding a whole bunch more.

alcaras posted:

Thinking something like

Nationalism for Manifest Destiny (not sure how important it is to prioritize this early)
Pharmaceuticals to Quinine first, every time.

This unlocks the decision to explore the west. If you successfully explore the west there are three things you can find- one of them is the Oregon Trail. If you find the Oregon Trail and the UK doesn't hate you they will just give Washington, Oregon, and Idaho to you automatically and for free.

Edit: You need to finish colonizing Montana first too, so you don't get much of a benefit from super rushing the tech/expedition, but it's best to get started on it as soon as possible.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

alcaras posted:

Thinking something like

I find the techs to start making artillery and small arms from steel instead of iron make building your military up way easier

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

yeah. there should be a chemical->pharmaceutical mini chain, with input of liquor or opium as sort of PMs. right now fertilizer is a sort of standin for that that doesn’t really work imo

We've been over this a few times on the forums and I feel like the better option is to get rid of opium as a military good entirely and replace it with groceries. Canned goods improving morale recovery for armies in the field is far more reasonable from a game play perspective than morphine or laudanum. On top of that, canned goods were a game changer in terms of how armies operated in the field so it's actually odd that groceries aren't already a military good or required for late game armies because irl they absolutely were.

edit: I mean, that groceries aren't factored into the base cost of the higher tier units, not the extra supplies cost.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 29, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Agreed, but only if they add methamphetamine as a resource in HOI4.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Eiba posted:

Considering how much investment each factory is, I'm fine with them not adding a whole bunch more.

Pharmaceuticals to Quinine first, every time.

This unlocks the decision to explore the west. If you successfully explore the west there are three things you can find- one of them is the Oregon Trail. If you find the Oregon Trail and the UK doesn't hate you they will just give Washington, Oregon, and Idaho to you automatically and for free.

Edit: You need to finish colonizing Montana first too, so you don't get much of a benefit from super rushing the tech/expedition, but it's best to get started on it as soon as possible.

Thank you! Noob question ... how am I supposed to know that Quinine unlocks Oregon trail? Where is that shown in-game?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

alcaras posted:

Thank you! Noob question ... how am I supposed to know that Quinine unlocks Oregon trail? Where is that shown in-game?

In Journal -> Decisions -> Mapping the American Frontier it shows Quinine as a requirement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

alcaras posted:

The game is a bit inconsistent about it but big events are usually linked to journal entries; often it's under the "potential journal entries" heading where it's not active now but tells you what you need to do for it to become active. So for the Oregon Trail event, you can see it here:

Where the reference to "mapping the American western frontier" means having activated this decision:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thank you!

Re: JE -- should I care about _all of them_? There are a lot of generic ones about getting a building built -- I find it's often hard to get it done in time, or it's out of my way (I don't care about getting that building up and running). What are the rewards for completing them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

alcaras posted:

Thank you!

Re: JE -- should I care about _all of them_? There are a lot of generic ones about getting a building built -- I find it's often hard to get it done in time, or it's out of my way (I don't care about getting that building up and running). What are the rewards for completing them?

Generally the reward for the more generic ones is a temporary bonus so it's more of a "nice to have" rather than a "drop everything to resolve this" kind of thing. A lot of them you will hit without even really trying just by keeping up with tech and industrializing or expanding your military. Some of them don't even expire so you can just leave them until you meet the requirements.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You should care about a lot of them, mostly because the ones that have a requirement for a tech to not be researched gives research points for that tech, which are incredibly valuable. The viability of completing these JEs may depend on your country/market size and ability to subsidize factroys, though

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You should care about a lot of them, mostly because the ones that have a requirement for a tech to not be researched gives research points for that tech, which are incredibly valuable. The viability of completing these JEs may depend on your country/market size and ability to subsidize factroys, though

How can I learn what their rewards are in-game, without having to look up each event in the wiki (if they're even there?) I guess I can just check https://vic3.paradoxwikis.com/Events but would love an in-game way :D

e.g. this has a choice to give research progress but yeah :-/

alcaras fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 30, 2023

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Unfortunately there isn't really a good way. A number of times the rewards tell you the event that it'll trigger, but the name of the event isn't descriptive at all since any number of options with different effects may be included.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's the TL;DR on Naval Orders?

When should I use which one?

e.g. I am attacking Mexico at the start of the game as the USA, I put one of my ships in the Gulf of Mexico node on that order ... and am not sure it is doing anything? Should I move to a node with their boats and try to sink them? If so, which orders should I be on?

Do I care about convoy raiding? Haven't seen it, but only really played last patch (1.5.9) when it was disabled so maybe it's an important thing to care about?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

convoy raiding is relevant in two situations

1. the country being raided is extremely heavily dependent on overseas goods to maintain their armies
2. the country being raided is trying to supply a naval invasion through the raided node

and in both cases the effect is to crater their army effectiveness. however at least the last time i played it was pretty hard to do anything meaningful just by cutting up their market unless you have serious naval dominance over them, in which case you probably didn't need to do it to win anyway. as a way to counter naval invasions though it's really powerful, peasant levies can mow down line infantry as long as the line infantry are starving and don't have boots

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, as much as I love all the improvements, it really does boggle the mind that you need to hover over buildings to see their employment levels. Can't believe I need to wait for a UI mod update to rectify that.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 30, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I'm not sure about since this is the first time I've gotten back into the game since release: Does your economic law affect what buildings private investors are allowed to construct? Under the old system it used to be that depending on what laws you had you could only use the investor fund on certain constructions but I can't see in the tooltip whether that still applies, and I've been playing a game where they still seem to be building loads of factories under agrarianism so I'm not sure if that's a bug or if I just don't need to worry about what they're doing and they'll build whatever they want no matter what the law is set to (at least, outside of command economy which doesn't allow them to invest at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

alcaras posted:

What's the TL;DR on Naval Orders?

When should I use which one?

e.g. I am attacking Mexico at the start of the game as the USA, I put one of my ships in the Gulf of Mexico node on that order ... and am not sure it is doing anything? Should I move to a node with their boats and try to sink them? If so, which orders should I be on?

Do I care about convoy raiding? Haven't seen it, but only really played last patch (1.5.9) when it was disabled so maybe it's an important thing to care about?

Hover over the order names and it'll tell you what they do. IIRC, Coordinated Interception reduces the chance of intercepting an enemy fleet but gives in-battle bonuses once the interception happens. I've never seen Aggressive Interception but I imagine it's probably the opposite.

Convoy raiding can majorly cut down on market access and supply network efficiency for the raided convoy routes. How bad this is depends on how much you depend on ocean-going supply.

If the AI raids a sea node near your capital, it could potentially interrupt supply to every single state you have that isn't connected to your market by land, causing your economy in those states to grind to a halt. This can also cut you off from the rest of your customs union as well as any trade routes you might have, potentially wrecking your whole economy. And if you've got soldiers fighting someplace that doesn't have a direct land connection to your territory, convoy raiding can interrupt the flow of supplies to them, inflicting severe debuffs in combat.