Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sash! posted:

Honestly, when I saw the thumbnail on YouTube, I thought that the Rollergator was attacking someone and anticipated something that was trying to be horrifying. Perhaps he was some sort of robot or cyborg!

In retrospect, the Rollergator did attack people and commit violence, but not the kind I wanted and I did not want to be the victim.

The swimming camera doesn’t for me. I can kind of turn out the music and there’s a female ninja in it, and the sort of low-key grime from Carnival Magic, but it is a rolling headache.

It evokes the opening of fun in balloon land where absolutely nothing makes sense. The main way to watch thrift tax was on twitch, everyone in chat would compare the current movies to Roller and FIBL and declare them excellent.

Edit: FIBL has 15 minutes of plot and the rest of the 52 minute episode is parade footage. I would rather watch it on loop than the trailer for Rollergator.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sash! posted:

Hamlet is the one I think is the worst, but that feels somewhat unfair because it isn't even an actual movie, made for about 6 AM-Marks, and not even in English.

Hamlet is so bad I forget that they did that riff until somebody brings it up and then immediately forget it again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

The part where he laserblasts a sign that just has the Star Wars logo on it is still incredible.

Bit late to the party, but

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Also I must be a weirdo because I find Hamlet eminently rewatchable in terms of the MST3K back catalogue. I think it's probably because it's one of my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, second only to Macbeth.

I know we've discussed it before ITT but there's a few MST3K episodes I generally skip over: The Violent Years, Kitten With a Whip, High School Big Shot, and a few others that I'm forgetting at the moment. Those ones are the ones where either the film's just so boring to me that even riffing can't save it, or I just really dislike the movie for other reasons.

And finally, I'll go on record as saying I think Radar Secret Service is an overlooked gem when it comes to classic MST3K episodes. The movie itself has all the excitement of a piece of cardboard, but it's also the type of stupidly earnest 1950s movie that lends itself well to being riffed. It's also weirdly out of time and place, because it feels like a Republic serial from the 1930s that was edited together into a feature-length film, made by people who had absolutely no idea what the hell radar even did.

"Like Moses on the rock, I had my first doubts about radar that day."

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also I must be a weirdo because I find Hamlet eminently rewatchable in terms of the MST3K back catalogue. I think it's probably because it's one of my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, second only to Macbeth.

I know we've discussed it before ITT but there's a few MST3K episodes I generally skip over: The Violent Years, Kitten With a Whip, High School Big Shot, and a few others that I'm forgetting at the moment. Those ones are the ones where either the film's just so boring to me that even riffing can't save it, or I just really dislike the movie for other reasons.

And finally, I'll go on record as saying I think Radar Secret Service is an overlooked gem when it comes to classic MST3K episodes. The movie itself has all the excitement of a piece of cardboard, but it's also the type of stupidly earnest 1950s movie that lends itself well to being riffed. It's also weirdly out of time and place, because it feels like a Republic serial from the 1930s that was edited together into a feature-length film, made by people who had absolutely no idea what the hell radar even did.

"Like Moses on the rock, I had my first doubts about radar that day."

Radar Secret Service is from Penile Replacement Corporation, same as I Accuse My Parents. It’s a mark of quality.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

glad I'm not the only one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Radar Secret Service is from Penile Replacement Corporation, same as I Accuse My Parents. It’s a mark of quality.

Producer's Releasing Corporation reminding you: don't fear the Creeper.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

When I was a kid, pre-Scifi-Channel, the episode that I always saw was "Kitten With a Whip." It seemed to always be on when I actually had access to Comedy Central. Scifi Channel era it was probably Devil Doll that I kept seeing most.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Giant Gila Monster always seemed to turn up in Comedy Central reruns more often than you'd expect. I always heard that was because the movie was public domain so they could run it as much as they wanted for free.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm on record as Wild World of Batwoman just puts me to sleep. Once I fell asleep and was woken violently by the racist séance.

My first episode was the rare viewing of Godzilla vs. Megalon because I was channel flipping and found a Godzilla movie but there was this sleepy eyed guy and two robots making fun of it. They seemed pretty funny so I stuck around.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Gary Burghoff goes undercover!

Also that episode has what is probably my all-time favorite short, Last Clear Chance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

egon_beeblebrox posted:

When I was a kid, pre-Scifi-Channel, the episode that I always saw was "Kitten With a Whip." It seemed to always be on when I actually had access to Comedy Central. Scifi Channel era it was probably Devil Doll that I kept seeing most.

Every show has that one episode you will swear will always be the one playing when you just randomly decide to watch that show on cable.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Josh Way did a riff of Monster Maker that I hope The Mads tackle someday: https://shop.joshway.com/shop/product/the-monster-maker/

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Dad didn't usually watch afternoon cartoons with us but occasionally he would.

somehow, the only episode he ever saw was the Manbat episode, except once he caught the werewolf episode, which is very similar. he still pretends to believe there's only one episode of that cartoon.

I'm hazy on the first one I ever saw but the first ones that stuck with me were Gamera and then Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Also that episode has what is probably my all-time favorite short, Last Clear Chance.

It's your last clear chance for fantastic savings!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I loved I accuse my parents, high school big shot, and all the other sad black-and-white 50s teen movies. The plots were extremely predictable and the characters weren’t relatable so you could focus on the riffs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Given how much of the old show is on YouTube, I wonder if YouTube plus would be a good place for a new season

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I brought my Drake posted:

Josh Way did a riff of Monster Maker that I hope The Mads tackle someday: https://shop.joshway.com/shop/product/the-monster-maker/

Incidentally, if anyone in this thread isn't aware of Josh Way, his riffing is legit.

I've sometimes worried I'm gonna accidentally quote one of his jokes ITT and confuse everyone.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

It's your last clear chance for fantastic savings!

[A train] has no time to wait for you corn-shucking crackers!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

[A train] has no time to wait for you corn-shucking crackers!

Trains are blameless, holy creatures!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Could you identify this bucketful of your brother?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

:cop: "Son, you know almost 40% of accidents are caused--"

:cry: "Aw shut up, willya?!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't they look...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You're deep, Ernie.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I loved I accuse my parents, high school big shot, and all the other sad black-and-white 50s teen movies. The plots were extremely predictable and the characters weren’t relatable so you could focus on the riffs.

Those are very different movies to me. IAMP is corny as hell, but there’s a ridiculous aw shucks innocence to it that is amusing and sort of charming. HSBS is so bleak it almost swings back around to farcical comedy, but not enough for me to enjoy it much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those are my favorite movies because it's like a time capsule. I don't really like the foreign movies as much, they Finno-Russian ones are incomprehensible fever dreams and I'm kind of over laughing at lovely Japanese movies. But the 50s ones are so bizarre and a window into a world that doesn't exist anymore. My favorite short is the chevrolet salesman one because it's so crazy that there were guys who just walked around everywhere and bugged you about buying a car. And you'd be fine sitting there a jawing about it for an hour! And multiple of these guys would come by daily! Also I like how the old dad calls the dealership owner out on his BS. :o:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

To be fair, that world probably never existed the way those movies and educational films presented it. “Hired!” more than likely drew as many snickers from the salesmen who were trained with it as it does from us watching it today.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

To be fair, that world probably never existed the way those movies and educational films presented it. “Hired!” more than likely drew as many snickers from the salesmen who were trained with it as it does from us watching it today.

Pfft, next you'll tell us that women didn't get "the reds" when their brothers brought Alexander Phipps home :rolleyes:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Satan..."
"I haven't crapped in months."

E:

somehow I always remember that the evil hypnotist has been turned into a skeleton when Elaine returns, but the empty clothes are still a great gag.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 29, 2023

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
*BZZT* When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom…

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

I know, but the same is true today. People think movies and TV are real and so they reflect the cultural gestalt of the time. I don't think that there were that many juvenile delinquents who got offered record deals based on chance meetings in diners either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I could totally see one of those salesmen yelling "But he bought the flippin' car!" at the movie at exactly the same times as the MST crew did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All training videos are ridiculous and full of instructions no employee has ever followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=net7t1HjQxY

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doo-doody-doo-doo-doo the National safety cou-ouncil.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

I could totally see one of those salesmen yelling "But he bought the flippin' car!" at the movie at exactly the same times as the MST crew did.

Ah yes, but he didn't buy it hard enough. :smuggo: You want them to buy their next ten cars from you!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Ah yes, but he didn't buy it hard enough. :smuggo: You want them to buy their next ten cars from you!

TEN CARS?! :wth:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These fellas today, they don't want to put in the WORK like we did! - a man in 1956

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The other day we watched the old and new versions of Mr. B Natural back-to-back with an MST3k newbie, and we all agreed that the new one with Kinga and Max is surprisingly better. I think they did a nice mix of preserving the key classic riffs (Crying out in fright whenever B magically appears, and the "Mr. B Natural heavily implies she's Satan" runner) while peppering in really great new ones.

edit: and "Shofar, sho-good" while the guy at the Conn factory is holding a horn-shaped portion of a sousaphone is an absolutely :discourse: A+ joke

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 29, 2023

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Pfft, next you'll tell us that women didn't get "the reds" when their brothers brought Alexander Phipps home :rolleyes:

Oh I would never make light of the reds. Squishiness was at historic levels in the mid 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Murdstone posted:

Could you identify this bucketful of your brother?

"Toro! Toro! Heh...just kidding."