Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm adopting a dog tomorrow and I'm pretty drat shook about it.

He's about 2 years old, about 10 pounds, maybe a Cairn Terrier. He was fond on the street so I don't know if he's even potty trained. Wish me luck :ohdear:

those are the guys who have a much harder time getting out, you're doing a good thing. :thumbsup:
e: Sometimes I just stare at Gabriel and pet him and tell him "you deserve a good life" and cry. I wish I could handle adopting more, there are so many.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of funny how much "having two dogs since they were puppies together" seems to be a One Weird Trick to effortlessly teaching them not to bite people (or other dogs). I imagine it's because of all the play fighting they did as puppies, so now they know that "biting hurts" and not to do it to anyone else. From what I understand this is basically the sort of approach you take when training a dog not to bite as a human, where you (as the human owner) "yelp" in response to being bitten, basically mimicking the way other dogs would respond. But "an actual other dog" is definitely much better at it.

The thing that made me think of this is that I was giving them a treat by hand yesterday, and they're both just extremely ginger and careful when taking food from your hand. Like it usually takes at least a few seconds as they very slowly close their mouth around whatever you're giving them. It's nice, because the previous dog my family had since I was in college was pretty hosed up and had serious issues with biting people.

Unrelated, but once when they were pretty young they had their own Milo and Otis adventure where they dug under the fence and couldn't get back on the other side. They then proceeded to walk together to the vet's office a little under a mile away. I'm still not sure exactly how they did this - I guess they could smell it and remembered the smell? There's a walking track behind the fence, but they would have had to cross over a ditch at some point. It was very surprising when the vet suddenly calls like "uh, both your dogs are here." Ever since then, they've never been that adventurous. If I leave the front door open by mistake, they'll walk outside, look around some, and then just come back in on their own.

HootTheOwl posted:

He wants you to know he found food

One of my dogs is basically the bane of any small mammal that ends up in the backyard, and when he catches something he'll bring it to us just like cats are known to do. He actually hunts kind of like a cat too - he just quietly stalks up to things. My other dog sucks at any sort of hunting and has never caught another animal (but she's amazing at catching balls/frisbees - like so good that I've considered taking a video of it and putting it on YouTube or something, it's seriously impressive and she basically never fails unless the throw was really bad).

When he catches something he's obviously super proud of it and wants to show us, but sometimes it'll be something like a chipmunk or a baby bunny and I'll just be like "oh no :(" Fortunately he seems to have trouble catching the skinks, since I really don't want to lose them. Birds also evade him 99% of the time (I think he's only caught one once).

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone keeping up on the mysterious dog illness that is going around? I've been reading other places how people's dogs have been getting it even though they haven't been in contact with other dogs and it's scaring the poo poo out of me since I live in an area where everyone has a dog

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm adopting a dog tomorrow and I'm pretty drat shook about it.

He's about 2 years old, about 10 pounds, maybe a Cairn Terrier. He was fond on the street so I don't know if he's even potty trained. Wish me luck :ohdear:

Good luck, you got this and you’ll make a dog verry happy.

I recently adopted Rex who’s just shy of a year old and also had no experience with walking on a leash or potty training. He picked it upnway quicker than Mando did, whom we got as a puppy.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Puppy had his first vet visit with us Wednesday, all normal, but fecal came back with a parasite so he starts Panacur tomorrow.

However the vet also gave us 2.5 pills of Drontal Plus to give him today, standard dewormer.

Well the poor guy is loving WIRED. Hasn’t napped in hours, paces, whines (he’s a GSD so he always whines but today he’s beside himself), paces, plays with the other dog, drinks like a fiend. So glad we gave him the meds around 11am, hopefully this runs its course in a few hours. Letting him drink however much he wants to try and flush it.

Edit: no loving way I’m starting this guy on Panacur tomorrow. I’m not putting him through 5 days more of this. Everything I’ve looked up show dogs having a hyperactive reaction to Panacur and Drontal. Will call the vet tomorrow.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 24, 2023

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of funny how much "having two dogs since they were puppies together" seems to be a One Weird Trick to effortlessly teaching them not to bite people (or other dogs). I imagine it's because of all the play fighting they did as puppies, so now they know that "biting hurts" and not to do it to anyone else. From what I understand this is basically the sort of approach you take when training a dog not to bite as a human, where you (as the human owner) "yelp" in response to being bitten, basically mimicking the way other dogs would respond. But "an actual other dog" is definitely much better at it.

This generally works for most dogs, but for my bitey, socially clueless girl it would merely excite her and she'd do it more. I ended up calling a dog trainer in when she was 13 weeks old after I fell over and she bit me every step of the way down, then kept biting. :stare:

Thankfully she's calmed down a lot, to the point our vet was asking us just this week what we did with Holly to make her so well-behaved, since she's just gotten a puppy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

look at this rear end in a top hat

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Erik is my elderly miniature schnauzer, somewhere around 15 or 16 years old, and he's starting to lose his mind - he'll be curled up in his bed and start moaning, not like a pain vocalization but obviously pretty unhappy. It turns out this is usually because he's thirsty, and he seems to be having trouble remembering where the water bowl is - not that he isn't spry enough to get up and walk to it, his mobility is fine, it seems completely mental. He's still doing pretty well otherwise :chord:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My 11-year-old mutt, Pavlov, has started not wanting to eat his kibble. He'll nose at it in the morning, then ignore it. Then we get back from the morning walk and he's super enthusiastic to eat the kibble...until he gets to it, at which point he loses interest again. Oddly enough, he'll eat dinner just fine. And he'll eat his breakfast if I dribble a teaspoon of melted butter on it, which has happened twice now...of course, I don't really want to make that a regular thing.

He's otherwise not behaving oddly. Goes for walks, is able to get into/out of the car no problem. I tried to check his teeth, and what I was able to see looked fine. He's been spending most of each day in bed, but he's getting to be an old man, and it's also cold out lately, so that's not that surprising.

On a different note, I'd like to get him a new bed. Any recommendations?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My 11-year-old mutt, Pavlov, has started not wanting to eat his kibble. He'll nose at it in the morning, then ignore it. Then we get back from the morning walk and he's super enthusiastic to eat the kibble...until he gets to it, at which point he loses interest again. Oddly enough, he'll eat dinner just fine. And he'll eat his breakfast if I dribble a teaspoon of melted butter on it, which has happened twice now...of course, I don't really want to make that a regular thing.

He's otherwise not behaving oddly. Goes for walks, is able to get into/out of the car no problem. I tried to check his teeth, and what I was able to see looked fine. He's been spending most of each day in bed, but he's getting to be an old man, and it's also cold out lately, so that's not that surprising.

He could just be bored of the food?

Also when my dog was being a pain with eating in the morning this stuff perked her right up

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Luna-...s%2C169&sr=8-53

You don't need but a light sprinkling to get them to chow down

quote:

Costco dog beds rule.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Omlet in the UK do nice stuff, they try to make the dog bed into a piece of furniture with storage etc if you wanted to go big. I assume there's a similar company in the US.

I would say though, I opted for a nice memory foam bed for the dog and she will only sleep on it outside of her actual crate/bed. If we put the memory foam bed in it she cries like an utter arse all night as she prefers to sleep on the solid plastic tray that's in it, she's a weird dog.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

If we put the memory foam bed in it she cries like an utter arse all night as she prefers to sleep on the solid plastic tray that's in it, she's a weird dog.

Same with Toby. We've tried a handful of different beds in his crate and he always just shoves em to the side. All he wants is an old throw blanket he dragged in there ages ago.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

He could just be bored of the food?
Possibly...he's definitely getting more willing to express his desires lately, mostly in the form of going "but daaaaaad, I wanna walk on the other side of the street." But when we get home from the walk, he's clearly hungry and very ready to eat...until he gets to the food dish. I would have thought hunger would be a better motivator...

quote:

Also when my dog was being a pain with eating in the morning this stuff perked her right up

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Luna-...s%2C169&sr=8-53

You don't need but a light sprinkling to get them to chow down

If we're gonna go with toppings, then I'll keep dribbling butter on his kibble. :v:

quote:

Costco dog beds rule.

That's what I've used historically, I was just curious if there was some omegabed out there that I was missing out on.

I don't need one that's a piece of furniture in its own right, just something to keep him comfy. He's in a Costco bed right now, but it's like five years old and I don't think the outer layer will survive being laundered again.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If it is a texture thing and his teeth are bugging him, soaking kibble in water will help.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Our oldest dog never wanted to do anything but hump any bed we bought him, and he’d just sleep on blankets in his crate until we started letting him come upstairs and sleep on the bed when he got a little older.

We still crate our dachshund at night because he’s too young to want to do anything except wake up every couple of hours and be a playful rear end in a top hat if he sleeps with us, yet in his crate he’ll happily just chill out all night until we get up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Engineer Lenk posted:

If it is a texture thing and his teeth are bugging him, soaking kibble in water will help.

I've been doing that for years. I will say that with the change in seasons, my tap water has gotten colder, and that might well be a factor. This morning's kibble got warm water with a small dash of MSG, and he ate that no problem. (and yes, I'm making sure he has access to plenty of drinking water)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
My a little over 1 year dog has been a lil lethargic since getting back from daycare about a week ago... She has no cough, no eye goobers (no more than usual), still a wet nose like usual, poops and pees normal but seems to not be her rambunctious self. Also, she has decided to not really want to eat her food.

We are pretty sure she is allergic to chicken and about 8 months ago switched her to purina pro plan adult sensitive skin & stomach salmon & rice and it cleared up all her diarrhea issues and it's been great and scarfs down her food usually. She recently will lick her lips when we put the food in a bowl, and set it down then, she just doesn't want to eat it. She will eat the dehydrated sweet potatoes no issues so I don't think it isn't she isn't hungry.. I dunno what is causing it.. posted 2 videos of her this morning. Where she like puts her nose in it and then like backs away...

https://imgur.com/a/fHQUpVq

https://imgur.com/a/wt36SSd

We do have a vet appointment scheduled for her but trying to figure out what in the world is going on

fyallm fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 27, 2023

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Anyone keeping up on the mysterious dog illness that is going around? I've been reading other places how people's dogs have been getting it even though they haven't been in contact with other dogs and it's scaring the poo poo out of me since I live in an area where everyone has a dog

I've looked into it some since my dog picked up some kind of respiratory illness about a week ago. We're going to the vet this afternoon since his cough just won't fully go away, it's less frequent now but more phlegm-y. From what I've gathered about that unknown illness, it seems like it's just a new entry in the variety of things that cause kennel cough in dogs, with the only wrinkle being that a very small percentage of dogs develop rapid onset pneumonia. We'll see what the vet says; if it were me, I would say my cough having more mucus in it is a sign that the illness is going away and remaining congestion is getting cleared up, but maybe it's different for a dog. Figure I better just spend the money to be sure.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

fyallm posted:

My a little over 1 year dog has been a lil lethargic since getting back from daycare about a week ago... She has no cough, no eye goobers (no more than usual), still a wet nose like usual, poops and pees normal but seems to not be her rambunctious self. Also, she has decided to not really want to eat her food.

We are pretty sure she is allergic to chicken and about 8 months ago switched her to purina pro plan adult sensitive skin & stomach salmon & rice and it cleared up all her diarrhea issues and it's been great and scarfs down her food usually. She recently will lick her lips when we put the food in a bowl, and set it down then, she just doesn't want to eat it. She will eat the dehydrated sweet potatoes no issues so I don't think it isn't she isn't hungry.. I dunno what is causing it.. posted 2 videos of her this morning. Where she like puts her nose in it and then like backs away...

https://imgur.com/a/fHQUpVq

https://imgur.com/a/wt36SSd

We do have a vet appointment scheduled for her but trying to figure out what in the world is going on

Very possibly a loose/damaged tooth or somethin. Have you tried wetting her food for a bit before giving it to her? Have you tried scattering some kibble on the floor? For a little while at some point Pickwick just decided he didn't want to eat out of his bowl. I think something had happened that scared while he was eating one time-a loud noise or something.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Very possibly a loose/damaged tooth or somethin. Have you tried wetting her food for a bit before giving it to her? Have you tried scattering some kibble on the floor? For a little while at some point Pickwick just decided he didn't want to eat out of his bowl. I think something had happened that scared while he was eating one time-a loud noise or something.

The dehydrated sweet potatoes are pretty hard, so I would think she wouldn't chomp down on those, or chew on her hard bones, but hasn't stopped doing any of those. And yeah, tried putting it on the floor and its the same thing, she like walks up to it and then like noses it like she is doing in those videos.

I can try and wet it, that is a good idea. The other thing I am thinking is we pour her food into an airtight plastic container thing, but the rubber seal came off a few months ago, and wondering if the food maybe went bad or expired? Since it is Salmon maybe it isn't good so it doesn't smell right to her?

Going to try and grab a small bag of new food tonight and see if she eats that up, and maybe get a can or two of wet food. And I wonder if her lethargy is because she isn't eating so she doesn't have as much energy

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm legit worried about my dogs going to the vet today for their routine shots because of all the poo poo going around.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

The dehydrated sweet potatoes are pretty hard, so I would think she wouldn't chomp down on those, or chew on her hard bones, but hasn't stopped doing any of those. And yeah, tried putting it on the floor and its the same thing, she like walks up to it and then like noses it like she is doing in those videos.

I can try and wet it, that is a good idea. The other thing I am thinking is we pour her food into an airtight plastic container thing, but the rubber seal came off a few months ago, and wondering if the food maybe went bad or expired? Since it is Salmon maybe it isn't good so it doesn't smell right to her?

Going to try and grab a small bag of new food tonight and see if she eats that up, and maybe get a can or two of wet food. And I wonder if her lethargy is because she isn't eating so she doesn't have as much energy

Vet said nothing going on with teeth, she did have a soreish back, so they think she might have pulled something at the daycare and might just be picky with her food. They did do some blood work just in case as well..

Buying a new bag of food she did the same thing but ate some of it, but bought some wet version of the same food and now she ate it

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/FCED4Ap.mp4
Needs sound.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dumb anxietybrains waitlist question

A while back I accepted a spot on a pretty well respected breeder's list ( https://www.japaneseakitausa.com/ ) and a few months later shot some follow up questions about his specific list and never got a reply and it's been like 8 weeks after. His replies previously were pretty quick.

Is it rude to bother? Idk??? I know it's a while out most likely just bc it's not a super common breed and I'm trying to make myself be Normal instead of anxietybrainsed

Tell me about y'all's waitlist experiences i guess

e: I don't doubt that he's busy rn since there was a litter last night and I don't wanna throw another email into a bunch of emails like that

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 28, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Waiting 8 weeks for a follow up isn't too pushy, imo

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

single-mode fiber posted:

I've looked into it some since my dog picked up some kind of respiratory illness about a week ago. We're going to the vet this afternoon since his cough just won't fully go away, it's less frequent now but more phlegm-y. From what I've gathered about that unknown illness, it seems like it's just a new entry in the variety of things that cause kennel cough in dogs, with the only wrinkle being that a very small percentage of dogs develop rapid onset pneumonia. We'll see what the vet says; if it were me, I would say my cough having more mucus in it is a sign that the illness is going away and remaining congestion is getting cleared up, but maybe it's different for a dog. Figure I better just spend the money to be sure.

He just has/had regular-rear end kennel cough, the vet said they haven't seen any instances of the new strain in my area, just an outbreak of the usual stuff. Naturally his cough drops by 50% as soon as I take him to the vet, before he even takes his first antibiotic pill.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

My older dog is like that with food. I make chicken broth (no onions) and put that on her breakfast and she eats like a champ. If we’re out of broth she gets yogurt or cottage cheese or whatever. As long as it’s not plain kibble she will eat it. Lunch and dinner don’t usually need anything extra. :shrug:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of our dogs (Shana, the female one) had some sort of weird injury at some point in the last few days. It appeared like some sort of sensitive bump, but after bringing her to the vet it ended up being a deep scab, and apparently when the vets were cleaning it it came off and started bleeding a lot and they had to cauterize it. It's a really nasty looking wound now that it's easily visible with the surrounding hair shaved, though according to the vets it shouldn't cause any health problems moving forward as long as it doesn't get infected. Basically looks like someone just took out a scoop of flesh with a teaspoon or something.

According to the vets it seems to have been from some sort of gash/puncture. My best guess is that maybe a tree branch fell on her in the backyard (where there are tree branches overhead that sometimes fall). That would also explain the location of the wound (on her back).

Feel really bad that she was hurting for a couple days and no one could tell :( The kind of confusing part is that such a big scab formed without her ever acting like it was itching. Hopefully she manages to heal without any complications like an infection. She's on antibiotics and pain meds now. We're having to keep her separate from the other dog, since he keeps trying to sniff/lick her wound. Fortunately it's not in a place that she can reach herself, so there's no risk of her licking/scratching it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lol I was just full of anxiety, contacted me this morning to let me know my spot came up.

Pubby :kimchi:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hello friends, we are fostering to adopt, JoJo, who we think is a husky/pitbull mix puppy. He is estimated 15 weeks old. The shelter wants us to bring him in to be neutered this weekend. After doing research it seems there are a few studies that show early neutering in large breeds can lead to increased joint problems and even increased cancer risk(breed dependent).

With huskies already being prone to hip dysplasia I really don't want to add any additional risk. I feel like knowing this information I should do my best for this guy to have a long healthy life. If I know those issues can be avoided I really would like to since the dog's long term health is something my family has to deal with long after the shelter is gone.

Is there anything we can do to convince the shelter to let us adopt this guy without getting neutered? I spoke to the shelter and the person I spoke with said "yeah there are studies showing those things! but still..." I also offered to sign a contract saying I would be liable if he's not neutered by 13 months and gets anyone pregnant before then and they didn't even acknowledge it. I asked if they could do it later in December and they said they're already booked up for the rest of the month. This place is being closed by the city on Dec 31st so everything is more difficult than it needs to be.

Here's a pic of JoJo as a tax for presenting you with this problem.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

Vet said nothing going on with teeth, she did have a soreish back, so they think she might have pulled something at the daycare and might just be picky with her food. They did do some blood work just in case as well..

Buying a new bag of food she did the same thing but ate some of it, but bought some wet version of the same food and now she ate it

And that lasted 1 feeding. She just licks the wetfood off the kibble... Looks like she just randomly decided purina pro plan adult sensitive skin & stomach salmon & rice is a no go.... Her bloodwork came back totally fine.. Any suggestions for a replacement food that doesn't contain chicken?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

She obviously has a strong understanding of social justice and is boycotting Nestle.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

KidDynamite posted:

Hello friends, we are fostering to adopt, JoJo, who we think is a husky/pitbull mix puppy. He is estimated 15 weeks old. The shelter wants us to bring him in to be neutered this weekend. After doing research it seems there are a few studies that show early neutering in large breeds can lead to increased joint problems and even increased cancer risk(breed dependent).

With huskies already being prone to hip dysplasia I really don't want to add any additional risk. I feel like knowing this information I should do my best for this guy to have a long healthy life. If I know those issues can be avoided I really would like to since the dog's long term health is something my family has to deal with long after the shelter is gone.

Is there anything we can do to convince the shelter to let us adopt this guy without getting neutered? I spoke to the shelter and the person I spoke with said "yeah there are studies showing those things! but still..." I also offered to sign a contract saying I would be liable if he's not neutered by 13 months and gets anyone pregnant before then and they didn't even acknowledge it. I asked if they could do it later in December and they said they're already booked up for the rest of the month. This place is being closed by the city on Dec 31st so everything is more difficult than it needs to be.

Here's a pic of JoJo as a tax for presenting you with this problem.

If it's being closed by the city, contact the city's animal welfare department with your concerns, I'm sure you can get some official there to help you if they are shutting that place down, and they can have someone make sure you do the neutering.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

If it's being closed by the city, contact the city's animal welfare department with your concerns, I'm sure you can get some official there to help you if they are shutting that place down, and they can have someone make sure you do the neutering.

Yeah I'd find out something like that, but also remember that pediatric spay/neuter is done a lot of the time by shelters as they are seeking not only to help abandoned pets get to loving homes, but also to prevent there being abandoned pets in the first place. Kinda comes up with cats more than dogs but them's the breaks. I expect something that is getting shut down by the city has city oversight and is probably a bit more strict on this than a charity run one.

e:

fyallm posted:

And that lasted 1 feeding. She just licks the wetfood off the kibble... Looks like she just randomly decided purina pro plan adult sensitive skin & stomach salmon & rice is a no go.... Her bloodwork came back totally fine.. Any suggestions for a replacement food that doesn't contain chicken?

When Snowbell was doing this (and locking herself into a not eating > upset tummy > diarrhea cycle) I ended up starting on a thing where I would buy salmon fillets, cook them to temp, and flake up about an ounce and mix it in while she watched/smelled. Flaking served the double purpose of making it very mixable/hard to mine out and letting me find any little fishy bones. The high value food + big show of it worked well enough - she'd sometimes eat only half of it and then return later, but it always kept her doin okay and she didn't have any butt troubles again until the end of her life when the lymphoma happened.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 29, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Following up on my own picky eater: turns out Pavlov just didn't like the temperature of the water I've been pouring on his kibble in the morning. Nuking the water in the microwave first so his breakfast is warm did the trick.

Bonus photo:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

wife was able to talk them into it! we just have to send them an email with a statement from our vet that we have a neuter appointment scheduled and a deposit on it.

also how long should i carry him down the steps? i was foolishly letting him go up and down and didn't realize that increased dysplasia risk as well. it's a whole lot of steps so i'm definitely going to do it for the foreseeable future.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Feel really bad that she was hurting for a couple days and no one could tell :( The kind of confusing part is that such a big scab formed without her ever acting like it was itching. Hopefully she manages to heal without any complications like an infection. She's on antibiotics and pain meds now. We're having to keep her separate from the other dog, since he keeps trying to sniff/lick her wound. Fortunately it's not in a place that she can reach herself, so there's no risk of her licking/scratching it.

Like most animals, dogs instinctively hide pain and injuries, don't feel too bad about it. I had no idea how sick Darla was and how much pain she was in until very near the end. Sad lesson learned: chattering teeth is Very Bad Pain, so bad they can't hide it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Less of a bummer post: Gabriel is pretty well adjusted to home now and he frequently gets the zoomies - it is simultaneously adorable and heartbreaking that this little dude has three bum legs/one good one, he spent around half his life in a rescue, and is just SO HAPPY to sprint around and play tag with my old fat rear end :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We have a ~9 year old dog that we've had for about 3 years. She's absolutely a sweetheart and wonderful, however now we have a 1 year old child, and she's become a menace. We can't get her to stay away from the kid while he's eating, she's barking all the time when she doesn't get attention, etc. My wife stays at home all day with the dog and child and she's losing her mind. It's probably just bad exacerbating bad training that we didn't realize we were setting up before we had a kid.

I've never done formal training with a dog before, is 9 too late to train a pup? Are things like "hey please be calm when you're not the center of attention" and "hey please stop trying to bowl over the kid when he's eating goldfish" things that can be fixed with training?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I didn't see a dedicated training thread.

edit-- Rosie tax

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 7, 2023