Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

the NBA cup is a success like adam and I knew it would be :discourse:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

de curry GOAT posted:

Silver paid off draymond to save his biggest antics for the in season tournament games

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

The Maestro posted:

Had to find this clip. Hilarious flop, he’s never even touched

Spends a full 10 seconds on the ground holding his face.

yeah i used the rewind 60 seconds function to find out why draymond was still on the floor as the warriors ran up court with the ball. milking a make-believe elbow to the face was all. steph curry had a sweet thread-the-needle pass between two kings doubling him to the late arriving green to reward him for it too. clownball.

hilariously disappointing for a warriors fan. so objectively, just hilarious.

Shear Modulus posted:

Silver paid off draymond to save his biggest antics for the in season tournament games

de curry GOAT posted:

Name it the Silver Cup after the best commissioner in sports.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nice!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TDepressionEarl posted:

yeah i used the rewind 60 seconds function to find out why draymond was still on the floor as the warriors ran up court with the ball. milking a make-believe elbow to the face was all. steph curry had a sweet thread-the-needle pass between two kings doubling him to the late arriving green to reward him for it too. clownball.

hilariously disappointing for a warriors fan. so objectively, just hilarious.

draft kings sports cup

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Pretty rude of y'all to rag on a guy for getting a sudden sinus headache. Those things can be nasty.

Carbon_Based_Life
Aug 31, 2023

TDepressionEarl posted:

The Charles Barkley Cup, in recognition of regular-season excellence.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I gotta say I am not pleased to have my team owned by the Adelson family

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
How is Cuban supposed to be in charge of basketball opps if he's not the majority stakeholder? Would this arrangement even work? Seems unlikely.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also I saw something about him keeping shares?

Makes zero sense

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

dokmo posted:

How is Cuban supposed to be in charge of basketball opps if he's not the majority stakeholder? Would this arrangement even work? Seems unlikely.

Sounds like he just wants to keep being the face of the team, which I’m sure the Adelsons are fine with

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dokmo posted:

David Samson is saying there's no way this is true as reported, there's something we are missing from the story so far.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

mdemone posted:

David Samson is saying there's no way this is true as reported, there's something we are missing from the story so far.

It's a weird situation, but, to be fair, David Samson is an idiot and a sociopath.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's a weird situation, but, to be fair, David Samson is an idiot and a sociopath.

I find him strangely endearing but only when he guests on DLS

he's learning to be a real boy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm guessing it's selling his stake but he gets to keep a controlling interest for xx years,

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I feel like poo poo must be dire for Cuban because buying the Mavs was one of the few Good Deals he made since his big break and also was his ticket into that sphere of celebrity that he clearly craves. I have to assume that would be near the bottom of assets he'd look to liquidate under duress.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I feel like poo poo must be dire for Cuban because buying the Mavs was one of the few Good Deals he made since his big break and also was his ticket into that sphere of celebrity that he clearly craves. I have to assume that would be near the bottom of assets he'd look to liquidate under duress.

I think he's absolutely the Shark Tank guy now among 90% of the population

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This part of it owns. Drunkenly stumble into success due to the dotcom bubble, then drunkenly stumble into the passenger seat because your kid convinced you crypto was good, actually.

Money is rarely an indicator of intelligence.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
So what you all are saying is I shouldn't have gone to bed early last night and miss the end of the game that I was sure the Kings were going to lose anyway :(

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Yeah but I meant hanging out with other celebs + athletes. I am sure Shark Tank affords some of that but he clearly enjoyed being the most visible sports team owner and trying to act like "one of the guys".

I may be projecting a bit here because I would love to hang out with NBA players and would chew my arm off to avoid being trapped in a room with people who watch Shark Tank.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

nikosoft posted:

So what you all are saying is I shouldn't have gone to bed early last night and miss the end of the game that I was sure the Kings were going to lose anyway :(

Watch to the bitter end always

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

morestuff posted:

He's leaving Shark Tank after this next season as well. Maybe he just wants to chill for a bit?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://theathletic.com/5098291/2023/11/29/arturas-karnisovas-responsibility-bulls-tailspin/

quote:

It makes you question the man’s sight.

If Karnišovas saw what we’ve seen, he would have blown up his hastily assembled, nowhere near-good-enough roster after the 2022 playoffs. He wouldn’t have allowed the 2022 offseason to come and go without adding only Goran Dragić and Andre Drummond and thinking they’d be difference-makers.

If Karnišovas had seen what we’ve seen, he wouldn’t have watched the 2023 trading deadline pass without waving the white flag on this failed experiment. He wouldn’t have allowed the 2023 offseason to come and go without adding only Jevon Carter and Torrey Craig and thinking they’d create a winning culture. He would have known that continuity and training camp in Nashville, Tenn., would not be the winning formula for this group of misfits.

If Karnišovas had seen what we’ve seen, he wouldn’t like his reflection. Whenever he looks in the mirror, he sees that the biggest reason the Bulls are in the sad state that they’re in is because of the man looking back at him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

good morning
https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/1729841465541415249

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think thats wrong and I don't think Karnisovas is fit for the job.

However, I also don't blame him entirely for pinning his hopes on Lonzo coming back. I don't know at what point Lonzo got ruled out for the 2023-24 season but blowing up the roster before he 2022-23 season would have been recklessly aggressive given how good that team was in January of 2022.

At this point his bets didn't pay off and I am guessing he doesn't have ownership buy in to completely tear down (or maybe it looks like they're finally getting that). I think in that situation it also makes sense to get rid of the FO anyway. But I think he did see things coming together and it did work, but it was not at all resilient.

Honestly, the Bulls ownership need to take a longer view, follow a youth model like Orlando, just bite the bullet on some of those protected picks they may lose. So yeah they should blow it up, but they need to understand the blame is not entirely on Karnisovas and they can't just turn key a competitive team anymore.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The assassination of Draymond Green by the coward Draymond Green

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I don't think thats wrong and I don't think Karnisovas is fit for the job.

However, I also don't blame him entirely for pinning his hopes on Lonzo coming back. I don't know at what point Lonzo got ruled out for the 2023-24 season but blowing up the roster before he 2022-23 season would have been recklessly aggressive given how good that team was in January of 2022.

At this point his bets didn't pay off and I am guessing he doesn't have ownership buy in to completely tear down (or maybe it looks like they're finally getting that). I think in that situation it also makes sense to get rid of the FO anyway. But I think he did see things coming together and it did work, but it was not at all resilient.

Honestly, the Bulls ownership need to take a longer view, follow a youth model like Orlando, just bite the bullet on some of those protected picks they may lose. So yeah they should blow it up, but they need to understand the blame is not entirely on Karnisovas and they can't just turn key a competitive team anymore.

Oh, AK isn't fired.

But like He completely failed once his initial vision went up in Lonzo's knee.

I would love if the Bulls could somehow find a way to turn Zach into an unprotected First and a promising rookie(the dream would be Ivey, but I'd at this point settle for like Hood Schifino or something, as I loved him coming out of college.), and just roll with

Coby, Ayo, Pat, Craig, and Vuc, with Julian Phillips getting time.(if you can trade Vuc for anything please trade him but doubtful)

Tell Pat he has to bear the scoring load alongside Vuc(who isn't really scoring or playing well anyway), and see what he does when he isn't deferring to Zach/Demar. And just see if any of young players on this roster are capable of increasing the scope of their production. I don't think any do, besides I guess Julian Philips who's scope is currently, only getting playing time in blowouts/when the starters are playing like complete poo poo for energy.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 29, 2023

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah but I meant hanging out with other celebs + athletes. I am sure Shark Tank affords some of that but he clearly enjoyed being the most visible sports team owner and trying to act like "one of the guys".

When the mavs built new locker rooms and workout facilities, the coaching staff very gently requested that Cuban move his workout machines out of the locker room. Because he used to bang out 30 minutes on the treadmill while the team was doing pregame prep and then field questions from the gathered beat reporters. Which was slightly distracting

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Squinky v2.0 posted:

When the mavs built new locker rooms and workout facilities, the coaching staff very gently requested that Cuban move his workout machines out of the locker room. Because he used to bang out 30 minutes on the treadmill while the team was doing pregame prep and then field questions from the gathered beat reporters. Which was slightly distracting

how have i never heard this, lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1729893632939901042

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

dokmo posted:

how have i never heard this, lol

Tim McMahon mention it on a hoops collective podcast shortly before the season started, as part of the story of how he got banned from the mavs facilities a while back

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Josh "The Antipodean Predator" Giddey.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Josh "As a Schoolboy" Giddey

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

ORLANDO WAS COMPLETELY BUILT BY FLEECING THE BULLS IN A TRADE!!!!!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Oh, AK isn't fired.

But like He completely failed once his initial vision went up in Lonzo's knee.

I would love if the Bulls could somehow find a way to turn Zach into an unprotected First and a promising rookie(the dream would be Ivey, but I'd at this point settle for like Hood Schifino or something, as I loved him coming out of college.), and just roll with

Coby, Ayo, Pat, Craig, and Vuc, with Julian Phillips getting time.(if you can trade Vuc for anything please trade him but doubtful)

Tell Pat he has to bear the scoring load alongside Vuc(who isn't really scoring or playing well anyway), and see what he does when he isn't deferring to Zach/Demar. And just see if any of young players on this roster are capable of increasing the scope of their production. I don't think any do, besides I guess Julian Philips who's scope is currently, only getting playing time in blowouts/when the starters are playing like complete poo poo for energy.

They really should but I don't think ownership has ever been ok with doing that.

For AK, he had a vision and I don't even think the vision was a bad one! He took a bunch of after-thought-ish guys + LaVine and the team looked really solid. He saw what you could do with Lonzo and got him for a song. He overpaid for DeRozan but drat if DeRozan didn't look like an MVP for a little while. But yeah, once the cracks showed up he had nothing. I think when a big bet like that fails in the NBA you're done as a GM, at least for a while.

I think you could trade Vuc, he's only at 18m and he's an NBA calibre guy.

R.D. Mangles posted:

ORLANDO WAS COMPLETELY BUILT BY FLEECING THE BULLS IN A TRADE!!!!!!

lol, well then go fleece some other team!

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 29, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Vooch is washed.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Papercut posted:

The assassination of Draymond Green by the coward Draymond Green

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

ehhhhh, a contender that might take a flier on him isn't gonna have an $18M salary to blow on a guy like Vuc and he'd be pointless for basically any other team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

They really should but I don't think ownership has ever been ok with doing that.

For AK, he had a vision and I don't even think the vision was a bad one! He took a bunch of after-thought-ish guys + LaVine and the team looked really solid. He saw what you could do with Lonzo and got him for a song. He overpaid for DeRozan but drat if DeRozan didn't look like an MVP for a little while. But yeah, once the cracks showed up he had nothing. I think when a big bet like that fails in the NBA you're done as a GM, at least for a while.

lol, well then go fleece some other team!

The Bulls tanked for like 4 years after the Butler Trade lol. They just always got 7.

I don't think the Reinsdorfs actually care because the Bulls regardless of how good or bad they are always lead the lead in attendance or are close to it.

They would like to get playoff revenue but barring that as long as the roster isn't that expensive. Still make money and be fine.