Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Just finished Dolores Claiborne

Wow. For a book I basically never hear anything about, that was really good! The format really worked for me, I can only imagine it works fantastic as an audiobook too. Will have to give that a listen someday.

Is the movie adaptation worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gandalf21 posted:

Just finished Dolores Claiborne

Wow. For a book I basically never hear anything about, that was really good! The format really worked for me, I can only imagine it works fantastic as an audiobook too. Will have to give that a listen someday.

Is the movie adaptation worth watching?

Absolutely

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Finished Dark Tower book 2. Loved it more than the first. All the crazy scenes, the plane, the tower, the pawn shop. It got kinda slow after the tower, but it picked up in the end.

I heard book 2 and 3 are the best? People say it's hard to finish the later books but I'll keep going.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

2-4 is when it's really good, with 4 being my favorite.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

3 and 4 are loving perfect

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
2 and 3 were my favorites. It's all downhill from there I'm afraid. 4th is good, and 5 is where it lost me a little bit. It's still ok, but not as good as before.

6 is the worst one. I liked the ending of the entire bit, but a lot of people didn't. The Wind Through the Keyhole was a pretty good addition.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Read the start of Stephen King's Cujo sequel in excerpt from story collection, You Like It Darker (due out May 21, 2024)

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Great, more Covid poo poo

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
that was a loving terrible excerpt

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I finished up 11/22/63 not too long ago, and I liked it, but it also felt like a "why did you write this" kind of thing. I think I'd read that he'd had the idea for a while, or something similar, but you should have kept this to one yourself, Steve.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

What didn't you like about 11/22/63? (besides the poundcake)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That's what I'm trying to formulate, and why I almost didn't post. I wasn't crazy about the Boomerisms, even when he pointed out the times were lovely and it was easy to "whitewash" it, if you will.

It felt like there were large chunks where nothing happened, where Jake was just did his surveillance and kind of existed; the Yellow Card Men or whatever felt underused, and had an exposition dump at the end that felt like he was just tying up a few loose ends.

I dunno, I didn't like it. I can't quite nail it down, and couldn't even while I was reading the book.

And I think Sadie is boring.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Leave posted:

That's what I'm trying to formulate, and why I almost didn't post. I wasn't crazy about the Boomerisms, even when he pointed out the times were lovely and it was easy to "whitewash" it, if you will.

It felt like there were large chunks where nothing happened, where Jake was just did his surveillance and kind of existed; the Yellow Card Men or whatever felt underused, and had an exposition dump at the end that felt like he was just tying up a few loose ends.

I dunno, I didn't like it. I can't quite nail it down, and couldn't even while I was reading the book.

Hey I feel like Robinson crusoe finding Friday right now

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As with pretty much most of Kings works, you could have cut around 10-15% and not lost anything

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I am a tall intellectual who bangs a much younger lady and for some reason teenagers find me cool. Also I wear a blue chambray work shirt and my nails cut crescents into my palms.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What's your take on alcohol?

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
Also, does your greasy hair hang down in your eyes?

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
And that was the last time she ever saw him alive.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
For anybody subscribing to Spotify Premium, there's a bunch of audiobooks available for free now. I'm giving Wizard and Glass a listen because I think it's my favourite King book of all time.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Skulker posted:

I am a tall intellectual who bangs a much younger lady and for some reason teenagers find me cool. Also I wear a blue chambray work shirt and my nails cut crescents into my palms.

But are you wearing engineer boots?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's hard to tell under the orange, arc sodium lights

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Leave posted:

There is definitely a long hard slog in the middle where he's in Texas farting around. The first quarter (?) of the book just sweeps you along, as you learn about the past and its possibilities and I think the ending is actually one of his better ones, even though it does seem to tumble together in a rush. In between, it could move along a little more. (I don't recall any hoods in engineer boots in his high school, but maybe small-town Texas hadn't gotten around to having any yet)

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Kosmo Gallion posted:

For anybody subscribing to Spotify Premium, there's a bunch of audiobooks available for free now. I'm giving Wizard and Glass a listen because I think it's my favourite King book of all time.

dang, not in Canada I guess

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
https://twitter.com/MechaBarbarian/status/1723486132300607837?s=20

If you get stranded on your car near Salem's lot DO NOT EXIT YOUR VEHICLE

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
Does your vehicle count as a domicile to the vampires? Didn't that dude in One for the Road leave his family in there cuz it was warm?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lukevictorious posted:

Does your vehicle count as a domicile to the vampires? Didn't that dude in One for the Road leave his family in there cuz it was warm?

He did but they could have been suckered into opening it, the vampires were starting to become intelligent enough to trick their old friends into coming in/over by the end of the book.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
(Song of Susannah) lmao I forgot that Black Thirteen gets destroyed by 9/11. Thank ya big big, sai bin Laden :tipshat:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

lukevictorious posted:

Doubtful. The Salem's Lot vampires seem to be a lot weaker without Barlow around but they were still fairly lethal and sneaky. Can't imagine a car door would stop them.

My assumption was always that some vampire tranced the mother and little girl in "one for the road" so that they would leave the car voluntarily, so even if the car would've counted as a "home" it wouldn't have saved them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

lukevictorious posted:

Maybe if it's a motor home?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
They optioned The Long Walk! Let's go!

Wait lol, it's the hunger games director.

Oh well, still excited, it's a great weird book.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

They optioned The Long Walk! Let's go!

Wait lol, it's the hunger games director.

Oh well, still excited, it's a great weird book.

There's so much world-building that could be done, but I worry that it could overwhelm the simplicity of the idea.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Just finished Dark Tower #3 and it was good. I liked the weird town they visit and the hosed up city. I am still unsure on a lot about Roland's past, but it sounds like #4 has a lot of flashbacks? I kinda wanna look up fan art but I'm afraid of getting spoiled. The worldbuilding is my favorite parts.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Maybe if it's a motor home?

Also like unfortunately it's not rare for people to live out of there cars. Particular now days.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

err posted:

Just finished Dark Tower #3 and it was good. I liked the weird town they visit and the hosed up city. I am still unsure on a lot about Roland's past, but it sounds like #4 has a lot of flashbacks? I kinda wanna look up fan art but I'm afraid of getting spoiled. The worldbuilding is my favorite parts.

You're in for a treat, Wizard and Glass is such a great book.

Yes, it's pretty much all flashbacks but it's really good and if you like world building you'll definitely enjoy it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it’s awesome. Arguably the best in the series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mat Cauthon posted:

Doubtful. The Salem's Lot vampires seem to be a lot weaker without Barlow around but they were still fairly lethal and sneaky. Can't imagine a car door would stop them.

My assumption was always that some vampire tranced the mother and little girl in "one for the road" so that they would leave the car voluntarily, so even if the car would've counted as a "home" it wouldn't have saved them.

How do people feel about One for the Road? I think it's a great short story, but it really twist the nail on the ending of 'Salem's Lot by making it clear that Ben didn't really accomplish poo poo in the end. Unless it's meant to take place before Ben burns the town down at the end? I don't think that can be the case though?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

How do people feel about One for the Road? I think it's a great short story, but it really twist the nail on the ending of 'Salem's Lot by making it clear that Ben didn't really accomplish poo poo in the end. Unless it's meant to take place before Ben burns the town down at the end? I don't think that can be the case though?

I love it, but I'm also not a big fan of Salem's Lot. It's too early King for me - hokey prose, full of unreconstructed sexism. One for the Road is just a good solid horror story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I think they specifically mentioned Jerusalem’s Lot burning down “inexplicably” in One For The Road, so it’s after the ‘Salem’s Lot ending. And it’s hard to say they did nothing; yeah the vampires aren’t all gone but since there’s no more town that stuff that got mentioned in the epilogue about people trying to move in disappearing isn’t happening, and even if no one likes taking about it it seems like an open secret now that the ruins are haunted by vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One For The Road feels like it would make for a really good Creepshow episode.