Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When the cringe becomes holy, does it change its nature or is it merely representational?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nessus posted:

When the cringe becomes holy, does it change its nature or is it merely representational?

as a Lutheran, the holy remains in with and under the cringe

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
In christ there is no based nor cringe

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

In christ there is no based nor cringe

Been looking for an excuse to post this.
https://www.tiktok.com/@lordclth/video/7274313230325976353

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

quiggy posted:

In the beginning was the cringe, and the cringe was with God, and the cringe was God. It was with God in the beginning.

Thread title?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Today was a fantastic hymn day, I think Crown him with Many Crowns is my favorite hymn I've encountered yet.

Also in other good news; Bob has agreed to be my sponsor for holy baptism.

Gotta meet with the reverend and iron out the other details.

I'm gettin' dipped folks.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Awesome!

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

NomChompsky posted:

Today was a fantastic hymn day, I think Crown him with Many Crowns is my favorite hymn I've encountered yet.

Also in other good news; Bob has agreed to be my sponsor for holy baptism.

Gotta meet with the reverend and iron out the other details.

I'm gettin' dipped folks.

yessssssssssssssssssssss git dat flea dip

u got a date? im figuring easter vigil?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

sinnesloeschen posted:

yessssssssssssssssssssss git dat flea dip

u got a date? im figuring easter vigil?

I have no idea. It entirely depends on the conversation I have with my reverend. He had to practice with our choir today so had no time to meet after service, so I had to email him. I know I have to go through a process with him that involves 4-5 classes of some kind. I don't know the details, but I am sure it depends on his schedule. I think the earliest it could possibly be would be the Sunday after Epiphany, which is one of the holy days that is when they do baptisms. But perhaps not until after Easter. I am hoping to figure that out soon.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
they wanted to fast track me too but its like 'pls give me six months to square this in my head' first

i didnt have to do a class, nor will i for confirmation (in fact im planning our new confirmation/receiving class this winter :shrug:)

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Yeah I am not sure the nature of it. I guess "class" isn't a word that was actually used, but I kind of assumed that's what it might be?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, that's common. Even the UUs do that if you're making a formal membership thing instead of just showing up.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The website says about it that you might be expected to sit down for a few council session with a priest to talk about the commitment you are making and that you understand it.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
i guess a concentration in sacred music paid off

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nessus posted:

how long until christians truly grapple with all of the many groaner dad-jokes that are found in the red letters

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I just want to take a moment to thank you folks for being reasonable human beings despite the Internet.

I was recently exposed to Reddit's Catholicism sub by a friend, and I am nothing but grateful for the difference.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How bad is it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Josef bugman posted:

How bad is it?

Haven't been there but based on this:

Liquid Communism posted:

I was recently exposed to Reddit's Catholicism sub by a friend, and I am nothing but grateful for the difference.

I'm assuming pretty bad.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how long until christians truly grapple with all of the many groaner dad-jokes that are found in the red letters

I was reading Acts last night (which was fantastic), and there was this line where Paul makes a very "Yeah, get a load of those guys :smug:" joke when giving a sermon about some or another city.

Also there's a straight up Seinfeld joke in John where Philip tells Nathanael that the Messiah has come out of Nazareth and he's like "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 28, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sure, I appreciate that. As an observer though, an incarnation of Holy Wisdom / the Logos that is feminine in nature is a really appealing idea to contrast the overwhelming maleness of the Trinity. I feel like maybe women would get treated a little nicer if there were a feminine aspect of Divinity with similar emphasis as all of the other three.

vv Oh I misunderstood what you were alluding to in your original post then :) I am sorry.

Things went downhill ever since Yahweh had that messy divorce from Asherah, gave Him a real misogynistic streak

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo: for real though!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Things went downhill ever since Yahweh had that messy divorce from Asherah, gave Him a real misogynistic streak

In the short term yes, but in the long term, the independence of solo living enabled a journey of gender experimentation, ending in a non-binary identity and any/all pronouns.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Asterite34 posted:

Listen, any time He wants to think about an apology for telling folks his wife wasn't even real, the rest of Us would be more than happy to take him back. :unsmith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Civilized Fishbot posted:

In the short term yes, but in the long term, the independence of solo living enabled a journey of gender experimentation, ending in a non-binary identity and any/all pronouns.

Many of the perspectives I have been reading on whether gender-neutral or -inclusive pronouns for God are okay for Christians to use seem to fall along conservative-leaning/liberal-leaning party lines, which I have found interesting. The folks who continue to adamantly refuse use of non-masculine identity for discussing God are the same ones with very strong and very bad ideas about human gender identity too; the people who don't see trans or nonbinary people as "rejecting the gender God gave them" are also much more interested in allowing and encouraging diverse expression of gender identity for God.

As a result I don't know if destroying and punishing iconography and worship of Asherah among the Israelites a couple thousand years ago in favor of the cult of Yahweh enabled a journey of gender experimentation, exactly, so much as humankind is now finally beginning to come around to realizing the unconscious biases that that oppressive masculinization of Divinity resulted in and trying to correct them. The journey could have occurred with a male and a female God and might even have started entering mainstream consciousness quite a bit sooner.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Alumnus Post posted:

Listen, any time He wants to think about an apology for telling folks his wife wasn't even real, the rest of Us would be more than happy to take him back. :unsmith:

:yeah:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

NomChompsky posted:

I was reading Acts last night (which was fantastic), and there was this line where Paul makes a very "Yeah, get a load of those guys :smug:" joke when giving a sermon about some or another city.

Also there's a straight up Seinfeld joke in John where Philip tells Nathanael that the Messiah has come out of Nazareth and he's like "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

the bible is painfully loving funny and im tired of pretending its not (oh, tobit!)

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Alumnus Post posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Many of the perspectives I have been reading on whether gender-neutral or -inclusive pronouns for God are okay for Christians to use seem to fall along conservative-leaning/liberal-leaning party lines, which I have found interesting. The folks who continue to adamantly refuse use of non-masculine identity for discussing God are the same ones with very strong and very bad ideas about human gender identity too; the people who don't see trans or nonbinary people as "rejecting the gender God gave them" are also much more interested in allowing and encouraging diverse expression of gender identity for God.

As a result I don't know if destroying and punishing iconography and worship of Asherah among the Israelites a couple thousand years ago in favor of the cult of Yahweh enabled a journey of gender experimentation, exactly, so much as humankind is now finally beginning to come around to realizing the unconscious biases that that oppressive masculinization of Divinity resulted in and trying to correct them. The journey could have occurred with a male and a female God and might even have started entering mainstream consciousness quite a bit sooner.

if i had a dollar for every ''god is a MAN'' comment ive fielded i might be able to start paying off my 200k in student loans (lol jk no i wont)

like lmao buddy u know god well enough to rate his dick size on an incel forum? the gently caress out of here

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm going back to the bible. I think I'll pick up where I stopped in Proverbs. Also, I'll finish that last little bit of Leviticus.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Josef bugman posted:

How bad is it?

Earnest discussion of the Inquisition touting it as just and merciful for its day, with a side of 'of course it's moral to burn heretics, and the state should be doing it'.

Edit: Go read for yourself, I couldn't make this stuff up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/18525ta/why_dont_we_talk_about_the_inquisition_more/

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 29, 2023

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I read Romans yesterday and while I very much enjoyed reading the Gospels and Acts, I don't think yet that I've read anything that struck me right in the heart and soul as much as Romans did. Paul is, first off, a hilarious communicator of ideas and paradoxes (BY NO MEANS!)

But the articulation of the difference between the law and trespasses against it and the way of faith was just incredible. The historical context is interesting, but setting even the divides he was trying to close aside, the book is a fantastic treatise on living through faith and love rather than through only fear and trying to do everything right because those are the rules. It was absolutely beautiful.

I am wondering what others think about the passages about doing anything to make your brothers and sisters "stumble." The way I read this was that everyone is likely to be offended or worried for you and your behavior depending on their own perspective, and regardless of whether we agree with them about a particular thing, we should do what we can to go along and get along. It seemed like what Paul was saying is that even within the Christian faith all of us are going to do things differently, and that only becomes a problem when we either pressure one another to conform, or when we persist in doing something ourselves which is actively harmful to ourselves or others. I could be wrong. But it seemed like a very universalist doctrine.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah Romans is great the only long stretch of the Bible I have memorized is the full chapter 8.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Paul talks a lot about reconciliation and interpersonal relationships and I'd venture that one could cite proof texts for a wide range of interpretations. My read of it in totality is that Paul places a high value on communal harmony, so in some places Paul takes a very "live and let live" attitude but in other places makes it clear that we're all supposed to check each other and call out bad behavior.

Something that is important to remember, Paul's letters were written specifically to address on-the-ground problems in individual churches. He takes the opportunity to speak universally when it is relevant, but ground your reading of his letters with that reality.

My overall impression of the message is that he's saying folks should have right relationships with each other and how to handle any given is going to depend on the nature of the underlying nature of the conflict. If someone is doing something harmful to the community, call them out, but if it's just something bugging you, suck it up.

This all ties in heavily with his ideas on the New Creation, which is a much bigger idea than just this, but it also encompasses the idea that because we are Christians, we are supposed to behave differently. Bearing in mind that because he was writing to communities where all but the youngest were converts, this idea gets a bit muddied as it gets interpreted by communities where most people are cradle to grave Christians.

Regardless, I think it can generally be interpreted as saying "stop being lovely to each other ffs, call out each other when someone's being lovely, and treat each other with love, kindness, grace, mercy, and respect".

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Liquid Communism posted:

Earnest discussion of the Inquisition touting it as just and merciful for its day, with a side of 'of course it's moral to burn heretics, and the state should be doing it'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/18525ta/why_dont_we_talk_about_the_inquisition_more/

:stare:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This is what happens when a bunch of shut-in teenage boys discover Catholic aesthetics through WH40K while simultaneously falling into the manosphere, tbh

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Paul talks a lot about reconciliation and interpersonal relationships and I'd venture that one could cite proof texts for a wide range of interpretations. My read of it in totality is that Paul places a high value on communal harmony, so in some places Paul takes a very "live and let live" attitude but in other places makes it clear that we're all supposed to check each other and call out bad behavior.

Something that is important to remember, Paul's letters were written specifically to address on-the-ground problems in individual churches. He takes the opportunity to speak universally when it is relevant, but ground your reading of his letters with that reality.

My overall impression of the message is that he's saying folks should have right relationships with each other and how to handle any given is going to depend on the nature of the underlying nature of the conflict. If someone is doing something harmful to the community, call them out, but if it's just something bugging you, suck it up.

This all ties in heavily with his ideas on the New Creation, which is a much bigger idea than just this, but it also encompasses the idea that because we are Christians, we are supposed to behave differently. Bearing in mind that because he was writing to communities where all but the youngest were converts, this idea gets a bit muddied as it gets interpreted by communities where most people are cradle to grave Christians.

Regardless, I think it can generally be interpreted as saying "stop being lovely to each other ffs, call out each other when someone's being lovely, and treat each other with love, kindness, grace, mercy, and respect".

Yeah, and the historical context I mentioned is exactly this. Specifically this letter was written because shortly before this all Jews had been kicked out of Rome, but were eventually let back in. This included Jewish Christians, who when intermingled once again with the gentile Christians had all kinds of arguments with them about what was okay and what wasn't. It's why he talked about food so much. In reality, what was going on what a rift that could be damaging to the Church at large, and he had to patch that up. But in the process you end up with a more encompassing message, which I think you're right about.

Something I have noticed too is that it seems that, in any age, Christianity and the assumed behavior of Christians is very much defined by the actions and behavior of power. And I could see how, in the ancient world, where a lot of religion was quite legalistic (especially in Rome), that the importance of faith instead of law would be incredibly important to Christians at the time.

Liquid Communism posted:

Ew.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 29, 2023

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Regarding the "don't cause others to stumble" passages:

One important thing I was both taught about and independently came across on my own is that people's consciences are tuned differently. What is not a problem for you might be a problem for another person.

For example it might be that it is normal for you to have couple of beers among friends. If, however, one or more of your friends on this particular evening strongly feels that alcohol is un-Christian or it otherwise makes them uncomfortable, it is better to abstain rather than directly on indirectly pressure then to act against their conscience. It won't hurt you to pass but it might hurt them if you don't.

(My Finnishness is showing.)

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I definitely think that's at least half of what he's saying. I think also it's why he spends a lot of time talking about why we should not pass judgment, because God is the one who judges, not us. As such, that means that like you're saying, we have the capacity to pressure others into casting judgment. It's kind of a bear-poking thing, since people are given to being judgmental anyway.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
hell, and satan, and all the doers and makers of evil on this earth have nothing on loving vestry meetings

they will know we are christians by our sniping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. The narrator is Okabe from Stein's Gate!