Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Quick Azure Question:

I know that there are some resource tags that have special effects, like "AzDefenderPlanAutoEnable" can turn off ATP. What I haven't been able to find is a comprehensive list of all tags that can can be used for configuration like this. Anyone have anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

The PhD's I work with have already decided what the solution is when they open the ticket, it's not a request for help it's a command.

If I push back on their stupidity they whine about it up the chain until someone gets annoyed and tells me to do what they want. They bring in the grant money so they get to control everything.

I have to do the cost/benefit analysis of "is it really worth upsetting this rear end in a top hat professor" regularly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Unrelated to my previous post, I just discovered that we're paying roughly $2000/month on public ipv4 addresses that are provisioned but not attached to anything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

Unrelated to my previous post, I just discovered that we're paying roughly $2000/month on public ipv4 addresses that are provisioned but not attached to anything.

Owns.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The process works!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's pretty easy to get one's brain broken by these kinds of things. I'm positive we use more than 5 different project management tools, not counting all the smaller quieter ones I'm sure are out there. So much duplication!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

It would be really easy for popular cloud providers to fix this problem, but it's very profitable not to

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The SaaS model is designed for people who forgot they subscribed to stuff.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Research scientists are extra special because they're constantly code switching between academic publication language and pointing and grunting like cave people

Just spent 30 minutes watching a (very nice) phd-level researcher be unable to a. come up with a new password

then

b. fail to repeat that password successfully after new password creation

7 temp password resets on that fun ticket

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

The Fool posted:

Did Azure Advisor at least tell you this?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Blurb3947 posted:

Not getting anything, even entry level IT jobs. Have spent a lot of time on my resume, curious if others have any thoughts on if there's more adjustments to be made on mine?

Cross posting this from the resume thread. Not getting hits for anything, even entry level help desk roles. Care to offer some advice?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Do you have the same thing on LinkedIn? What region are you located?

While there are some things I would change, overall I think it looks good.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Blurb3947 posted:

Cross posting this from the resume thread. Not getting hits for anything, even entry level help desk roles. Care to offer some advice?

Yea, I think you're probably not getting hits for entry level stuff because frankly you're overqualified and HR/Management might be just throwing your resume in the dumpster when they see it, because you will and rightly so jump ship as soon as someone comes along to actually pay you what you're worth instead of what an entry level helpdesk nerd is making.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I've been in my first IT role for like 7 months now and things are pretty solid. My boss is decent, I get along with my team, the work is solid, and they're even paying for me to get my CCNA. I was given one day a week to WFH after four months there which was nice. They also don't give a poo poo if I work from home on random days if I have a delivery or something I need to take care of, so that's nice.

Anyways, the company that just bought mine a few months back announced that hybrid WFH is going away next year, and pretty much everyone who wasn't in IT was working from home 3-4 days a week. They said people who are full time remote are fine as is, it's just anyone with an office to report to can no longer work from home. What's unclear is if it affects my team or not (the email was specifically aimed at people with "hybrid schedules").

If it does, it's not the end of the world for me but it's gonna gently caress over a couple of guys on my team. I'll suck it up since the commute isn't awful, and the market went to straight poo poo right after I managed to get my foot in the door, but god drat I am sick of the "We need everyone to return to the office!" poo poo so many companies keep doing. My last job did it about a year before the pandemic, and lol at how that turned out for everyone we lost 25-30% of our staff over a 9 month period leading to severe delays and staffing issues, then COVID hit and they eventually just gave up and told everyone the offices were closed and everyone was now considered a remote employee .

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 30, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

My boss has gotten it into his head that we need to 'replace samba' for fileshares in an env using Linux servers + windows and mac endpoints. Today we're running smbd on Centos boxes. I'll be sitting in on a meeting next week about it as a mostly neutral observer. I feel like this topic comes up in our org every couple of years. Is Samba still the best we got for on-prem file sharing? Is windows still only nfs v3 client-side? Even on a Mac, I its been a while since I've had much of an issue with Samba.

My question is general -- What does the landscape for on-prem, self-hosted, multi-OS-supported file sharing platforms looks like now of days? Honestly feels like we should just use OneDrive or GDrive for everything with the direction we are going.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
What kind of data you hosting and how much?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, I think you're probably not getting hits for entry level stuff because frankly you're overqualified and HR/Management might be just throwing your resume in the dumpster when they see it, because you will and rightly so jump ship as soon as someone comes along to actually pay you what you're worth instead of what an entry level helpdesk nerd is making.

I concur - As someone that has to read resumes, I'd see that and go "why is this person looking for entry level? What's wrong with them?". Aim higher (much higher), or tune the resume down for those lower level jobs you want? You've done your time in the trenches and literally have great progression showing you're able to do more (l1 -> l2 -> SA) . You've got cloud certification, so it's showing that's where you want to go (out of the trenches and into the cloud), so if your resume came across my desk for a L1/L2 job I'd be like, this person doesn't work well with others or is going to jump ship once the job market is better.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Mostly applying for entry level poo poo cause I've been out of work for 6 months now and would rather do L1 stuff than have to work retail or something again lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the market should be kinder to those who wanna overjob

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
hmmm is this overqualified person just looking to busy themselves not on my watch!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
everyone that works in HR goes directly to hell when they die and they want to spread that misery around, hence why they went into HR

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Us east 1 is being us east 1 at the exact same time as Amazon having a hype-up conference in Vegas about how great AWS is lol

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hearing some hilarious (edit: and nutso) things from my friend at VMware about the transition.

Today it was:

quote:

I'm in a meeting on Monday with the CISO about their “virtual machine software is prohibited on all company machines” acceptable use policy.

:psyduck:

He says so far it's a weird mix of move fast (they replaced the VMware signs outside the buildings by end of day last Wednesday, the day the deal closed) and clocks being set 20 years back attitude-wise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't a standard Windows install technically virtual machine software due to all the security features it runs?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Someone give me good arguments for not merging the it office and the SO server room beyond "it's loud and hot in a server room" because I think my boss's boss is trying to gently caress us over with only one room

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I think certain sustained decibel levels are an OSHA violation?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It depends a lot on what's considered a server room and how much equipment is in there, but true data center rooms are usually going to be loud enough that it's an OSHA violation to be working in there without hearing protection.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Just how hot is your server room that it's considered "hot"?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

klosterdev posted:

Just how hot is your server room that it's considered "hot"?

Maybe it's just too sexy of a server room.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Our old one is in a windowless box that they had to specially add AC for. For some reason we're rocking a whole rear end dell server, rack, and like 150 switch ports for a company with less than 100 users that only uses it for file storage.

Pretty sure I could get us down to a raspberry pi and a NAS with no ill effects but *points at every other post I've made itt* that's not gonna fly with this place

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blurb3947 posted:

Mostly applying for entry level poo poo cause I've been out of work for 6 months now and would rather do L1 stuff than have to work retail or something again lol

If I saw that resume, what are the chances you bounce in few months once you find something better? Companies hate churn and hiring people sucks sometimes.

My advice, I don't even like this but you basically :airquote: tailor :airquote: your last position to the one you are applying. I get that's a bit shady but this is what I've been told by every recruiter, HR Person and even managers. Obviously, it still needs to be real but you just angle it out as much as possible. YMMV.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Someone give me good arguments for not merging the it office and the SO server room beyond "it's loud and hot in a server room" because I think my boss's boss is trying to gently caress us over with only one room

Yeah definitely do not do this.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh the IT office INSIDE the server room? no way

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

The only positive is that server room doors typically have access control and no windows.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Things break less if you arent in the same room as them.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Surely nobody is this malicious or stupid?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Diqnol posted:

Surely nobody is this malicious or stupid?

This is the company that was doing software installs via USB stick for years before I got here and it still took me most of a year to get to a prototype stage for intune deployment

What do you think?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tokin opposition posted:

worth asking if the server room is rated for human capacity

early in my career, I set up a tiny desk in the corner of a server room and rightfully got my rear end ripped for it. nobody should be spending extended periods of time sedentary in a server room, especially with the different types of fire suppression systems that you might have in there or the fact that nobody is walking by on the regular to see if you're in trouble, especially if you have any 208/240V in there

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

unknown posted:

I concur - As someone that has to read resumes, I'd see that and go "why is this person looking for entry level? What's wrong with them?". Aim higher (much higher), or tune the resume down for those lower level jobs you want? You've done your time in the trenches and literally have great progression showing you're able to do more (l1 -> l2 -> SA) . You've got cloud certification, so it's showing that's where you want to go (out of the trenches and into the cloud), so if your resume came across my desk for a L1/L2 job I'd be like, this person doesn't work well with others or is going to jump ship once the job market is better.

Do cover letters ever work to change your mind re: overqualification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hearing some hilarious (edit: and nutso) things from my friend at VMware about the transition.

Today it was:

:psyduck:

He says so far it's a weird mix of move fast (they replaced the VMware signs outside the buildings by end of day last Wednesday, the day the deal closed) and clocks being set 20 years back attitude-wise.

Give us more juicy details. They're going to ruin vmware, aren't they? gently caress.