Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
....the types of breakers used, if GFCI is being used, how the breakers themselves are wired, if the correct amperage is used.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think that I can. We agreed to pay for the first $5000 of inspection findings in our offer, so I'm trying to figure out if any of this stuff will exceed that. The floor isn't sagging or anything, so I'm assuming this would be on the cheaper end to fix. (Or if it's covered by the 10yr structural warranty.)

Also they put trim around the garage circuit breaker so it can't be opened, what the hell is that about.

Got a picture of the crack? Wood cracks. It might not even be a problem, but it's a joist, it's worth asking and being sure.

What do you mean by trim on the breaker? Like at the electrical panel? You literally can't access the breaker? That's insane.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's all kinds of really dangerously stupid things people have done to breaker panels. To name one off the top of my head, physically preventing a breaker from tripping, which is a massive fire hazard. You want to make sure none of that is going on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

By all means bookmark the crappy construction thread. Oh, the sites we have to show you

etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 28, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Laughing out loud like the cow.

Feels like it's missing a roll of pennies.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's all kinds of really dangerously stupid things people have done to breaker panels. To name one off the top of my head, physically preventing a breaker from tripping, which is a massive fire hazard. You want to make sure none of that is going on.

I thought it was insane before I had even considered that it would be hindering the most important job the breaker has - breaking. Yeesh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no no, the most important thing the breaker does is keep the juice flowing, no matter what

Jenkl posted:

Feels like it's missing a roll of pennies.

Not a whole roll, and this pic is tiny, but:

yes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

I thought it was insane before I had even considered that it would be hindering the most important job the breaker has - breaking. Yeesh.

It's so much a thing that things have been designed so that it's simply not possible with most modern breakers anymore. People are this dumb that it's necessary.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

It's so much a thing that things have been designed so that it's simply not possible with most modern breakers anymore. People are this dumb that it's necessary.

Of course the military still insists that 'battleshorting' needs to be possible, thus allowing the idiots in our military to continue the proud tradition of replacing fuses with solid metal bars

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Leperflesh posted:

no no, the most important thing the breaker does is keep the juice flowing, no matter what

Not a whole roll, and this pic is tiny, but:

yes

My last apartment building had these and I went around all the local hardware stores stockpiling them in case I had to deal with some bullshit and I must have cleared out the entire inventory because a few months later the landlords replaced the panel with new circuit breakers.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

My last apartment building had these and I went around all the local hardware stores stockpiling them in case I had to deal with some bullshit and I must have cleared out the entire inventory because a few months later the landlords replaced the panel with new circuit breakers.

This is a hilariously strange thing to have done

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They weren’t easy to find! I could have made millions in the secondary renter power repair market, millions I tell you!!!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Here's a fun problem: my insurance company won't underwrite me for the new house because we don't have any debt. Apparently the company agrees my report is perfect but they can't override the computer.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PerniciousKnid posted:

Here's a fun problem: my insurance company won't underwrite me for the new house because we don't have any debt. Apparently the company agrees my report is perfect but they can't override the computer.

As in you've never had any debt or no active debt?

If it's the latter then go put a purchase on a credit card.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thoughts on houses that are pre-inspected with an inspection report pre-emptively made available to prospective buyers? I can see how that could streamline things, but I have concerns about the inspector (who presumably was hired by the current owner) being motivated to not find issues.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'd still make the deal contingent on my own inspection. You would like to think there were standards and honor in such things, but the thread title tells the real story.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thoughts on houses that are pre-inspected with an inspection report pre-emptively made available to prospective buyers? I can see how that could streamline things, but I have concerns about the inspector (who presumably was hired by the current owner) being motivated to not find issues.
I've only seen that for houses where they're planning on having an auction when the bids close; no, you can't get your own inspection, because we'll have taken a bid by then. If there is time, absolutely get another inspector, and ideally not one recommended by the realtor.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

As in you've never had any debt or no active debt?

If it's the latter then go put a purchase on a credit card.

We have credit but we paid cash for our newest car which is apparently a deal breaker. We've had loans in the past but more than five years ago so I guess they don't count.

Also I've had auto and home insurance with this company for 25 years with no issues from my end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've only seen that for houses where they're planning on having an auction when the bids close; no, you can't get your own inspection, because we'll have taken a bid by then. If there is time, absolutely get another inspector, and ideally not one recommended by the realtor.

Y'know, that tracks with the house I was looking at. They announced it two weeks in advance of it going on the market, and it's clearly been thoroughly staged. So my guess is they're trying to get it to move quickly even though it's the off season.

Thanks, y'all. I know I definitely wouldn't be comfortable relying entirely on a seller-supplied inspection.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PerniciousKnid posted:

We have credit but we paid cash for our newest car which is apparently a deal breaker. We've had loans in the past but more than five years ago so I guess they don't count.

Also I've had auto and home insurance with this company for 25 years with no issues from my end.

Have you gotten quotes from other insurance companies? Your current company doesn't seem interested in keeping your business.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sirotan posted:

Have you gotten quotes from other insurance companies? Your current company doesn't seem interested in keeping your business.

This. If things are that pristine, I'm sure someone wants your money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's because the computer algorithm wants to see that you have a habit of making regular payments on debts. That's part of the inputs to deciding if you're creditworthy. If this insurer is so slaved to their algorithm that a customer service rep cannot quote you a policy, get a different insurer. I recommend USAA if you qualify - got a family member who served? - or get an insurance broker (not state farm, a proper multi-company broker) if you want to cross-shop.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sounds to me suspiciously like an insurance company that is looking for a cover story to avoid issuing new polices in your area without being forced to justify that decision to the state insurance board.

Best to move on to another company. If you manage to talk your way past this excuse it is probably only a matter of time before you get a letter saying they inspected your roof with a drone and a shadow looked funny so you have 10 days to replace it or the coverage is rescinded.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

When we bought our house in 2021 that was the standard in our local area. All serious offers were waiving all contingencies so you kinda had to hope it was thorough enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That is still the case in many many places.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I'm in the process of doing so, but a bit annoyed, particularly since we were already delayed due to the holiday weekend. The agent I was working with said the other companies he works with are either acquired or not issuing new business, so I'm shopping again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

or not issuing new business

Mystery solved.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sounds to me suspiciously like an insurance company that is looking for a cover story to avoid issuing new polices in your area

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

spf3million posted:

When we bought our house in 2021 that was the standard in our local area. All serious offers were waiving all contingencies so you kinda had to hope it was thorough enough.

This was my experience buying 3 months ago as well, including using the seller’s pre-inspection. I looked it over and it looked to cover every major area I was concerned about with pics so I could see for myself the conclusions. It’s worked out so far! (Other than 6.9% interest)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheBacon posted:

This was my experience buying 3 months ago as well, including using the seller’s pre-inspection. I looked it over and it looked to cover every major area I was concerned about with pics so I could see for myself the conclusions. It’s worked out so far! (Other than 6.9% interest)

That’s a nice interest rate though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s a nice interest rate though.

:wiggle:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what are people's thoughts on purchasing new construction in a market like this with builder incentives at lower mortgage rates?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there an apartment hunting thread anywhere on the forums? Since search engines went to poo poo, that's gotten a bit harder.

It's hiding in Ask/Tell, seems to be not super active

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411978

barkbell posted:

what are people's thoughts on purchasing new construction in a market like this with builder incentives at lower mortgage rates?

This is what we're doing. We put down deposits for both the house and the mortgage rate so now it's just a waiting game to see when the house will be built. Things are going slow

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

barkbell posted:

How does that work? I didn't realize this was an option.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How does that work? I didn't realize this was an option.

Builders are paying down massive amounts of points to artificially lower the monthly payment instead of dropping prices and potentially pissing off people who committed to buying at higher prices or causing problems with appraisals if rates drop back down.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

barkbell posted:

:whitewater:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

barkbell posted:

It'll take longer than you think

There will almost certainly be costs you haven't considered. Frequently this is "We decided what we saw in model home sucks and we want xyz upgrade" but this can run away from you.

There will be pains in the rear end with electrical/plumbing/finishing and probably 80% chance you'll need to do a bunch of the contractors job keeping everything moving.

The contractor might go bankrupt or piss off. This just happened to a friend of mine, but he has been able to pull everything across the finish line anyway.

So I think generally the anecdotes I've seen is people hate it while the house is being built, but when it's done generally feel ok with the process. I'd be surprised if you save much money with the lower rates when you factor in other costs (including: Having to live somewhere while it goes 9 months longer to build than advertised). But it is a way to have some control in a weirdo market.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Part of those extra costs is having an independent inspector to show up on the site multiple times at different stages of the build to point out and get problems corrected before they are literally buried in the ground, under concrete, behind drywall, or hidden by other finishes.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its crazy how picky I've gotten so quickly in just a few months of looking at houses. but once you see the code in the matrix, i.e. house layouts based on year, they all start looking the same.

what I really want is a beautiful nature filled backyard where you cant even see other houses and the frustrating part of the process is you just have to wait until something like that comes along. but the actual house touring part is fun so its not all bad

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

mistermojo posted:

its crazy how picky I've gotten so quickly in just a few months of looking at houses. but once you see the code in the matrix, i.e. house layouts based on year, they all start looking the same.

what I really want is a beautiful nature filled backyard where you cant even see other houses and the frustrating part of the process is you just have to wait until something like that comes along. but the actual house touring part is fun so its not all bad

Yeah, I loved that part too, I'm always intensely nosy and curious and judgemental about how other people live, decorate, etc so it was super fun. My job takes me into a lot of houses also, it's one of my favorite parts (unless they are gross and filthy). It's honestly shocking how little regard some people have for how they present themselves to others. I'm thinking of one house I was measuring where the wealthy banker and his wife just left underwear randomly laying around, kitchen messy, etc. even though they had weeks advance notice I was coming.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
we just had an offer accepted on our first house today, which feels wild since we only started looking about a month ago. great price, under the top of our budget by $25,000 and pretty much move-in ready from what we could see.

now will come the part that's been stressing me out hella the last few days, which is going through the full approval with the bank. it probably shouldn't, we have good credit and no overdrafts and basically no debt beyond like $5000 in a student loan that I've been letting coast for a while to help build credit, and we've got $40K to use for down payment + closing costs. just the idea of having to submit my fate to someone I've never met trying to read my life through a couple bank statements leaves me wringing my hands like crazy.

everything feels very complicated and hectic, but I'll be glad to be out of an apartment and somewhere I can do my own stuff and engage with my newer tradeskill hobbies without needing to haul my poo poo to my grandparents' place in the middle of nowhere for a weekend is exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Skypie posted:

we just had an offer accepted on our first house today, which feels wild since we only started looking about a month ago. great price, under the top of our budget by $25,000 and pretty much move-in ready from what we could see.

now will come the part that's been stressing me out hella the last few days, which is going through the full approval with the bank. it probably shouldn't, we have good credit and no overdrafts and basically no debt beyond like $5000 in a student loan that I've been letting coast for a while to help build credit, and we've got $40K to use for down payment + closing costs. just the idea of having to submit my fate to someone I've never met trying to read my life through a couple bank statements leaves me wringing my hands like crazy.

everything feels very complicated and hectic, but I'll be glad to be out of an apartment and somewhere I can do my own stuff and engage with my newer tradeskill hobbies without needing to haul my poo poo to my grandparents' place in the middle of nowhere for a weekend is exciting

Congrats! Don't skimp on inspections, if nothing else just for the piece of mind of knowing what you are in for. Do the sewer pipe camera one, test for radon and mold, and make sure your inspector actually goes on the roof.