Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Any of you guys with downtown restuarants: how are you dealing with the collapse of society?

I've just found my first dead body after ~5 overdoses since covid.

I'm seeing threatening or violent incidents almost every day, and cops will literally just refuse to come because apparently they can't arrest everyone who is doing drugs. (Which is true - but I only really want them to arrest the people attacking my staff?) Security will only call the cops that don't come. I'm really struggling to see any option other than just giving up and closing one of the last public spaces in an area of 10's of 1000's of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

111023_5
Nov 11, 2023
The Restaurant Industry Winter '23: Cajun Chicken or Shrimp Alfredo Pasta

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Despite this entire thread warning me otherwise two years ago I left my office job to manage the restaurant I was working at part-time. Money’s about the same but I’m averaging 20 hours less every week so I call that a win. Now we’re looking at moving states and I’m not sure if I should be looking at management in the location we’re going or if I should be trying to leave the industry altogether.

Im currently with Bonefish Grill, and as I understand it 11 years ago when the location opened it was a scratch kitchen making stuff they could take pride in. In the three years I’ve been there I’ve watched them switch drat near everything to prepackaged RTU stuff and it’s all absolute garbage.

One of our new premium sides is “risotto” which is slop in a bowl, and they want us to keep cutting hours while keeping any quality as high as possible.

Honestly the best part of the job is when we get slammed out of nowhere on a Mon-Thursday and I have to jump over and help dig the line out of the hole they were dumped in.

I love the people I work with, we have a great team. Even my GM and RM are fantastic bosses. But moving has me wondering if I should take the gamble of getting lucky with staff/coworkers anywhere else.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

Any of you guys with downtown restuarants: how are you dealing with the collapse of society?

This is some "I know the age of consent in three adjoining states" bullshit.

Me, I'm donating money and soon to be time at a housing outreach center so people don't have to sleep under the overpass.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

This is some "I know the age of consent in three adjoining states" bullshit.

Me, I'm donating money and soon to be time at a housing outreach center so people don't have to sleep under the overpass.

TOXX yourself and I will send mods proof that I personally dragged a dead body out of my bathroom. He wasn't even a homeless person but congrats on assuming that homeless people and drug users are the same.

Its not anti homeless to be getting burnt out from daily violence and threats, and regular overdoses. I would like everyone to be given a home by the government but my government doesn't agree with me. I've tried reaching out to local community and health organizations and been told pretty unequivalently no one gives a poo poo. So if anyone is going through this and can share ideas about how to keep staff and guests safe I'm all ears. Otherwise I don't understand what you get out of telling me that something didn't happen to me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

TOXX yourself and I will send mods proof that I personally dragged a dead body out of my bathroom. He wasn't even a homeless person but congrats on assuming that homeless people and drug users are the same.

Its not anti homeless to be getting burnt out from daily violence and threats, and regular overdoses. I would like everyone to be given a home by the government but my government doesn't agree with me. I've tried reaching out to local community and health organizations and been told pretty unequivalently no one gives a poo poo. So if anyone is going through this and can share ideas about how to keep staff and guests safe I'm all ears. Otherwise I don't understand what you get out of telling me that something didn't happen to me.

It’s clear I over reacted to something of an exaggeration on your part- I’m sincerely sorry for that, and for the singularly awful experience of finding a stranger dead in your shop.

The shorter answer is a lot of local health departments will train your team on the use of Narcan, which is now commercially available at some big pharmacies. As far as what to do when someone pops into your toilet to fix, locks it, and nods off or worse- no, I don’t have anything for that. It sucks, and I’ve been there (but it wasn’t fatal, mercifully).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh every experience ive had with someone overdosing was they were an employee so youre kind winning by that metric. Its only one experience thankfully

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

COPE 27 posted:

Cities have survived periods of decline throughout history. There was a time in New York when large parts of it looked like Dresden after the war. Some would say "You just gotta get tough!" That's not the way I'd put it, but in practical terms, if nobody else is taking care of business, if the cops ain't helping, if security ain't helping, if the community and local organizations can't help, then you either need to invest in some iron bars to put on the windows and some bouncers who are willing to do the needful, or move forward in a different direction in life.

Easy for me to say, though.

111213_5
Nov 13, 2023
The Restaurant Industry post 2019: Lets Fight!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Union guy came around handing out stickers. And the student workers are organizing too. Gonna be an interesting winter. :black101:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Find local underemployed indie wrestlers in your area and tell them the ghost of Bill Watts thinks they should bounce for you

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Animal-Mother posted:

Union guy came around handing out stickers. And the student workers are organizing too. Gonna be an interesting winter. :black101:

It's a long build-up to 2028. The UAW won big in Detroit, and they're calling for other unions to align their contract expiration dates with the UAW - April 30, 2028. So May Day in an election year with see a massive wave of strikes. I'm all for it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Just noticed the new thread title. It fits, and it's somehow comforting that I'm still this forum's career disaster poster child after all these years.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Got approval to move from the breadstick mines down the street to the steak sweatshop. Just gotta wait on the paperwork. Might be a frying pan --> fire situation, but it should be an improvement.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

We don't have unlimited food options so you'll be hauling a lot less plates and bowls

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
God help me I might be getting sucked back in.

For background:
I quit the industry in 2020 working as a cook and then manager at the industry bar in town, which is also a very divey sports gambler and farmer's bar, etc. that somehow still managed a respectable lunch business by virtue of being downtown. Kitchen behind the bar kinda place where cooking still meant pouring drinks and waiting the occasional table in the afternoon. It was kind of a wild west place and the owner liked it that way, and it made managing impossible (also I was bad at it) especially since I didn't have control over anything actually, just the ability to run and tell the owner about it. The tips were nice, and in fact the money overall was outrageous. Before that I was working at a scratch kitchen "New American Fusion" type joint doing all the prep, worked every position on the line, opened every day, helped chefs set the quick lunch menu, maintained pars and wrote the prep list, etc. I was really stressed and I loved the work and then the building flooded from a faulty sprinkler system and that was the end of that place.

I've been working as a hospital pharmacy technician for the past two years. I only work four days a week and every fifth weekend. The hours are nice now that I have two kids. The benefits would be nice if I weren't getting better benefits through my wife's work. The pay is garbage. After two years of getting the maximum available raises it would still take a 25% raise to match my average hourly at the bar, without factoring in inflation. This is to mix chemotherapy that goes straight into a patient. The pay range keeps getting bumped up "to keep up with market forces" but when we ask if our actual pay will go up to, we get told we're already making market rate. Because I can accomplish a lot I get given a lot of extra work, to the point where it's not very manageable now. Discussing this with my boss, I was told I "didn't need to feel constrained to my scheduled hours." In communications with external vendors that I'm now working with to modernize our cleanroom suite boss is referring to me with a more advanced job title that I don't hold. I'm scheduling a meeting with her to sit down and let her know that if I'm being addressed with an advanced title and being given that position's workload, I need to be given that title officially along with the pay bump. I don't have high hopes, because even if she supports it that's corporate's decision, not hers.

Meanwhile there's a new BBQ tap house opening downtown. They bought the 50-line tap system from the craft beer bar my best friend used to own (closed down, burnout is real), he let me know that the GM is going to be a guy from our fantasy football league who used to GM the largest bar in town. The current manager at my old bar, still a buddy from the old days and much more in charge than I ever was after a change of ownership there, let me know over lunch today that the BBQ joint dropped their kitchen manager before even opening. I walked over and talked to the GM, and I'm meeting with him and the owner on Thursday after work. They don't know yet what the structure of their kitchen or menu will be 100% yet. It sounds like they vaguely want to have a traditional BBQ and a small plates menu for late night (I'd suggest using it for the lunch menu too). It's not a massive space, I'd guess ~75 seats including the bar. I'd probably double my working hours in a week and that would suck, but if they're willing to offer me a KM or CDC position with a salary that doesn't suck maybe it'd be worth burning out on the restaurant industry one more time.

I'm absolutely crazy for considering this right? Like I rebuilt my life to be more stable for my family and the work I do now is fine, if a little boring. It's easy to be good at it. But gently caress being stuck just getting taken advantage of for working hard all over again but with more corporate bullshit and a lot less money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doubling your hours for a job that pays 25% better seems like a sucker deal.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Also how old are the kids? If you’re KM/CDC and you’re stuck coming in nights/weekends, how many recitals/soccer practices/play dates will that screw up?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Also how old are the kids? If you’re KM/CDC and you’re stuck coming in nights/weekends, how many recitals/soccer practices/play dates will that screw up?

Honestly, when I saw it was a job with double the hours part of me was wondering if they were looking for an excuse to spend less time with their kids.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Three and a half and eight weeks. The time is honestly the biggest detractor for me. It was between that, the bad behavior of customers, and frustration with my superiors that helped drive me away from the bar. But I do still love to cook and miss it. A part of me knows it's probably not the best choice, but I'm pretty displeased with my current job, and I like the idea of having a backup plan if my meeting with my boss ends in a position where she or corporate refuse to budge on a deal killer for me. She's usually willing to work with people and understand their position, but corporate always gets the last say.

Worst case scenario for Thursday I go meet the owner and hear what they have to offer, politely decline, and walk away with good gossip for everyone who wants details on the new place.

Air Skwirl posted:

Honestly, when I saw it was a job with double the hours part of me was wondering if they were looking for an excuse to spend less time with their kids.

As usual, gently caress you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If your current job trained you into an advanced title and you're already performing the duties for it then it sounds like the missing piece in the actual promotion and pay raise is waiting for you at another place hiring that advanced title.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Doomykins posted:

If your current job trained you into an advanced title and you're already performing the duties for it then it sounds like the missing piece in the actual promotion and pay raise is waiting for you at another place hiring that advanced title.

Bing!

Don't go back. You have an eight week old. You don't want to be weeded on the line because the brunch cook called out sick only to find out that the little one has to go to urgent care because they cannot tell you they have an ear infection and will someone please look after [big kid].

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Seriously, the restaurant industry is even more of a hell for parents of small children and the only people I've ever known to make it work for anything resembling long term have fallback childcare options like family members that can babysit on short (zero) notice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doomykins posted:

Do this. You're not getting back any of that time with your kids.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I've been working as a hospital pharmacy technician for the past two years.

Are there any other hospitals in the area you can apply at? If there's one thing that I've learned in the last few years (both in food service and out of it), it's that you'll get raises quicker with a new job than staying at an old one. Places HAVE to raise their starting wages to keep up with competition, but a lot of people won't let a little thing like "being underpaid" make them look into new jobs, so employers are less incentivized (especially at a corporate level) to give raises to people who already work there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bing!

Don't go back. You have an eight week old. You don't want to be weeded on the line because the brunch cook called out sick only to find out that the little one has to go to urgent care because they cannot tell you they have an ear infection and will someone please look after [big kid].
If you're working nights with an eight-week-old I would not vote to convict your wife of murder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As usual, gently caress you.

You have two very young children and you're considering taking a job that would double the amount of time you're away from home for a relatively minor pay increase, seems like a fair question.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're working nights with an eight-week-old I would not vote to convict your wife of murder.

Yeah, that’s a great candidate for jury nullification.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
There's one other hospital for 100 miles, and they aren't hiring techs at all right now. I could inquire there anyway, but quite a few pharmacists at my hospital are married to pharmacists at that hospital, so I'd have to be prepared for drama going that route and I don't think that's the most productive way for me to raise drama.

Believe me I know the hours would be lovely for my family. That's one of the reasons I left the industry to begin with. Even with my retired parents living in town it would not be the same as getting to spend the time with my kids, and not feeling exhausted when I do get that time.

My current job is not incentivized to move me up and they know it. The opportunity to leverage the other hospital against them doesn't exist. They jerked us around hard on a promised raise that never came this year. Even if my boss is sympathetic I'm not sure corporate will let her help me out without incentive.

I'm not committing anything to the restaurant talking to them, and I'm under no obligation to give them an answer tomorrow. Plus I'll find out what kind of position and wage they're offering (and if I don't I know to walk away and never turn back). I know the GM is a good guy and the reason he's no longer at his old job is because they jerked him around for spending time with his kids instead of living at work. But the interview does give me another offer to take into my meeting with my boss next week if I need a hammer . The risk is that my current job tells me "fine, go take that job." I can't really use it as leverage if it's a bad deal for me to take it. A part of the reason why I put a feeler out in this thread was to get a reality check on how good or bad the job would be for me. I knew deep down the answer was "it's probably real bad" but sometimes you just need confirmation.

I appreciate everyone's feedback in the thread and I'll be sure to check back in if I do grenade my life starting up a BBQ joint kitchen.

Air Skwirl posted:

You have two very young children and you're considering taking a job that would double the amount of time you're away from home for a relatively minor pay increase, seems like a fair question.

Please understand that your posts indicated an inaccurate reading of what I originally posted and took a pretty aggressive tone. This hasn't been the first time I've gotten that sort of response from you, and I didn't feel I owed you any courtesy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dog, don't worry about office drama or leverage or anything other than making more money for less work. I don't have any specific advice because I'm just a lucky dummy, but I would say the thing you should seek is more money, less work. That's more difficult to find than it once was, but I have been assured it does exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Please understand that your posts indicated an inaccurate reading of what I originally posted and took a pretty aggressive tone. This hasn't been the first time I've gotten that sort of response from you, and I didn't feel I owed you any courtesy.

Someone else in this thread said your wife would be justified in murdering you.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s a new spot too? Do a quick Google and see how Iong new restaurants last on average.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

There's one other hospital for 100 miles, and they aren't hiring techs at all right now. I could inquire there anyway, but quite a few pharmacists at my hospital are married to pharmacists at that hospital, so I'd have to be prepared for drama going that route and I don't think that's the most productive way for me to raise drama.

Believe me I know the hours would be lovely for my family. That's one of the reasons I left the industry to begin with. Even with my retired parents living in town it would not be the same as getting to spend the time with my kids, and not feeling exhausted when I do get that time.

My current job is not incentivized to move me up and they know it. The opportunity to leverage the other hospital against them doesn't exist. They jerked us around hard on a promised raise that never came this year. Even if my boss is sympathetic I'm not sure corporate will let her help me out without incentive.

I'm not committing anything to the restaurant talking to them, and I'm under no obligation to give them an answer tomorrow. Plus I'll find out what kind of position and wage they're offering (and if I don't I know to walk away and never turn back). I know the GM is a good guy and the reason he's no longer at his old job is because they jerked him around for spending time with his kids instead of living at work. But the interview does give me another offer to take into my meeting with my boss next week if I need a hammer . The risk is that my current job tells me "fine, go take that job." I can't really use it as leverage if it's a bad deal for me to take it. A part of the reason why I put a feeler out in this thread was to get a reality check on how good or bad the job would be for me. I knew deep down the answer was "it's probably real bad" but sometimes you just need confirmation.

I appreciate everyone's feedback in the thread and I'll be sure to check back in if I do grenade my life starting up a BBQ joint kitchen.

Calling it now, this dude has convinced himself it’s a good idea to go to the restaurant interview “just to have information and ammo to take into his discussion with the boss”, gets totally into the romance of new restaurant opening option and decides to detonate his current life for it.

What do you do when the restaurant closes in 16 months? Spend 3 months looking before realizing you’re lucky to get offered an IHOP manager spot for 40K?

Also, when you say you’re thinking about taking a job that will be less pay, way more hours, and at night, when you have a 2 year old and an 8 week old, it is 1000000% understandable that someone thinks “deep down this dude may just really want time away from the kids”, and even if that’s not true, it’s such an obvious read that being mad at someone for making it is the wrong reaction.

Seriously, I hope you pull up. Unless you have a live at home parent/caregiver to help with the kids, this would be such a deeply hosed up betrayal of your wife that your marriage is probably instantly hosed.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Doom Rooster posted:

Seriously, I hope you pull up. Unless you have a live at home parent/caregiver to help with the kids, this would be such a deeply hosed up betrayal of your wife that your marriage is probably instantly hosed.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Air Skwirl posted:

Someone else in this thread said your wife would be justified in murdering you.

shut the gently caress up and go wash some dishes if you're so bored, we're short staffed again

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room kitchen!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room kitchen!

It's impressive how hostile everyone gets when we are not making eye contact and holding sharp or hot things

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

It's impressive how hostile everyone gets when we are not making eye contact and holding sharp or hot things

Fuckin' heard.

I'm not touching the place with a 10' pole, interview was red flag city.

For the record, it would not have been the first brand new kitchen I'd been in, I know what kind of a mess that is. Also my wife's been aware of what I'm doing the whole time and cool with it. And reading the thread.

Y'all got to get better at giving people here a little good faith. Just because I'm a stranger to you doesn't mean I'm a customer.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I don’t think the crab tries to get back in the pot once it’s out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Panera Bread is being sued by the family of a girl who died after consuming their "charged" lemonades. The girl had an underlying heart condition that was probably triggered by the drink. Panera's in damage control, swapping labeling and such, and will probably settle, but the death was the product of ludicrously bad practice on their part.

This is a flavored lemonade that was, in many places it was advertised, not labeled as containing caffeine. Where it was labeled as containing caffeine, it generally just said it "has as much as our dark roast coffee", instead of giving specific numbers. Craziest of all it was served in a self-serve unlimited soda fountain format, next to their fruit juices.

The FDA recommended upper limit for daily caffeine intake is 400 mg. A No Doz pill, which is set up for maximum effect in one dose, is 100 mg. The truck stop-tier energy pills I've encountered(something you should not consume), top out at 300 mg per pill. All of these are festooned with warnings about the dose and who shouldn't use them, cautions, etc. A large cup of the Panera product, which had no warning labels, and was available next to the other noncaffeinated drinks in a soda fountain format, was 380 mg in 30 ounce cup. For comparison, 30 ounces of mountain dew is about 137 mg of caffeine. Even Bawls would only have about 300 mg in the equivalent amount. It's clear they formulated it to just below what they interpreted as the FDA legal limit and did no other research. There's other layers of issue involved such as the use of caffeine supposedly derived from botanical extracts, too.

Panera's got a lot of other lovely marketing practices involving food and nutrition, but most of them aren't directly fatal like this. Hopefully the family takes them to the cleaners.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 1, 2023