Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Viper is Venomancer's more successful but also more boring sibling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Viper/veno is an amazing lane duo for making your opponents absolutely hate Dota and life in general (before they end up winning because they 100% scale better than you).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Viper, Veno, AA, Necro, Pudge. Goooo team rot!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Viper, Veno, AA, Necro, Pudge. Goooo team rot!

a team that either wins by minute 25, or gets crushed, very thematically appropriate

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Veno still has utility later because free wards are useful for pushing and defending. Late game viper just does nothing despite being 11-1 after the first 20 min

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Viper actually has a crazy amount of item flexibility because his base kit is so strong. Orchid is incredible. Dagon is honestly good. Obviously BoTs are good.

I think building treads into drums + another windlace is quite strong — the timings work out so that you actually get a few minutes of honest brawling before lanes dissolve, and treads+drums kinda obliterates that style of gameplay.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

Veno still has utility later because free wards are useful for pushing and defending. Late game viper just does nothing despite being 11-1 after the first 20 min

I've ruined so many enemy Earthshakers & Magnuses thanks to my wards loving up their blink daggers. <3 Veno.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I absolutely never know what items to build on veno but I remember once picking up a timeless relic 3 seconds before a bloodseeker ruptured me, killed my rear end and then went pretty much full to zero and died back in base from the

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/0/07/Vo_venomancer_venm_level_01.mp3

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dota2ProTracker is an amazing resource to research builds in the current meta.

It's so dumb that Midas is viable for even Pos 5 players.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Urn, Boots, finish the Vessel, then whatever your team needs.

Sometimes that's a Medallion, or a Force Staff, or your Aghs Scepter, or a Halberd or literally any other utility item. He's really flexible, the only wrong choices are basically right click items :v:

I loving love using Latent Toxicity vs Juggernauts.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I absolutely never know what items to build on veno but I remember once picking up a timeless relic 3 seconds before a bloodseeker ruptured me, killed my rear end and then went pretty much full to zero and died back in base from the

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/0/07/Vo_venomancer_venm_level_01.mp3

I go mana boots, solar crest, force staff almost every game. If we really need vessel I just go brown boots then urn->vessel, but I prefer if someone else gets it. Once I got force staff I get boots of bearing which seem pretty strong, solar crest + drums active is like a free moon shard on your carry.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why do you prefer someone else to get it? The Ring of Protection and Circlet are great in lane as his auto attack range sucks, helps tank up a bit. DOT obviously synergizes with Poison Sting. Add a Blood Grenade throughout the lane stage and you can score so many extra kills where the target would've otherwise just walked away.

It does suck spending 1200g on a Recipe though.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Mostly just greed tbh, but I feel like Veno doesn't really get charges that well compared to a lot of other heroes. He's not sacrificial anymore but I play way from the backlines if possible and GTFO if it goes bad. So the games I get it either I'm sitting on 1 charge all game because I only earn one when I die or I've got too many because we're rolling on them anyway, and in that case, I like solar crest anyway for tower/objective push like being a mini-ogre

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I keep wanting to try Abba P5, but every time I pick him, the two cores both go safelane, and I'm stuck laning with a support that assumes I want carry and we battle over avoiding last hits.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I play him as a much more guerilla warefare kinda pop out from the trees, spit on someone, return to the trees since Poison Nova was replaced with Noxious Plague. I dunno though, I feel like you can absolutely get some in lane and then ideally roaming and ganking with how good Gale + Urn is if the lane you're going to has any kind of stun. I like to close in on them and get more kills and more charges. But yea I definitely have some games where I'll just get zoned and out harassed and then not in range to get charges if we get a kill at all.

Made me want to sneak a quick game in over lunch and some jerkhole just banned Venomancer :argh:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Made me want to sneak a quick game in over lunch and some jerkhole just banned Venomancer :argh:

It's possible nobody banned Veno in your game. Popular heroes are in an auto-ban pool to keep the overall hero pool in check.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I feel the same boring type of hero is Dragon Knight. I think DK and Viper are the types of hero that win their lanes to set up for early tower pushes. Kind of a gamble IMO.

I pick both of these heroes for the same reason, and it's that I am a bad mid player who has been forced into the role and I know with either one of them I can at least scrape by. I'll also pick Huskar if their draft lets me.

Geight fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 29, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Geight posted:

I pick both of these heroes for the same reason, and it's that I am a bad mid player who has been forced into the role and I know with either one of them will at least let me scrape by.

Play a support that does well with farm as a mid instead. Dazzle, Witch Doctor, Bane, Bounty Hunter, it's endless. A buffed up support really snowballs a game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Play a support that does well with farm as a mid instead. Dazzle, Witch Doctor, Bane, Bounty Hunter, it's endless. A buffed up support really snowballs a game.

I used to love doing this but these days I just get blown up by actual good mids (both hero and player-wise), I'm just not competent enough to pull it off.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sniper and Zeus are my, "I have to mid?" picks

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Nobody posted this yet (the 0 minute strat to kill the entire enemy if they don't leave their fountain quick enough), so hopefully it's new to you guys. I thought it was really silly in only a way that Dota can be sometimes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/186lat6/shadow_demonnatures_prophetdazzle_ultra_kill_5/

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Superrodan posted:

Nobody posted this yet (the 0 minute strat to kill the entire enemy if they don't leave their fountain quick enough), so hopefully it's new to you guys. I thought it was really silly in only a way that Dota can be sometimes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/186lat6/shadow_demonnatures_prophetdazzle_ultra_kill_5/

Do people start with the anti-fountain camping immunity at the beginning of the game? If not, they'll probably put it in to avoid this sort of thing.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

OGS-Remix posted:

Do people start with the anti-fountain camping immunity at the beginning of the game? If not, they'll probably put it in to avoid this sort of thing.

Not yet! Valve should definitely add it though.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Abaddon support is absolutely busted and hilarious. Not in lane though, but eventually since everybody gets to have gold in dota you will get your force staff + aghanims and then nobody on your team dies anymore. Enemy teams trying to force high ground vs aghs borrowed time is a guaranteed throw even if you're losing bad.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Dr. Capco posted:

Abaddon support is absolutely busted and hilarious. Not in lane though, but eventually since everybody gets to have gold in dota you will get your force staff + aghanims and then nobody on your team dies anymore. Enemy teams trying to force high ground vs aghs borrowed time is a guaranteed throw even if you're losing bad.

I was in a game with an aghs refresher Aba once and we were just completely unkillable. Being able to pound on the enemy team for 15 seconds at a time with no consequences is absolutely wild.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sab669 posted:

Sniper and Zeus are my, "I have to mid?" picks

I like Primal Beast for this. tanky, good starting stats, and good at roaming so you don't have to lane if you don't want to

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Abandon’s kind of easy to counter - just like Ursa. Simply spam eul’s on ‘em until their ult’s down.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
unless ursa gets aghs and has massive status resistance while enraged

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Euls cyclone ignores status resistance so its easier to combo stuff

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Euls will work on an enraged ursa for the full duration, but if ursa activates enrage *after* being cycloned it will end prematurely

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I play in 3k where people rarely itemize to counter supports though so aba remains busted.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Couldn't resist clipping my friend with only 120 hours getting his first rampage :)

https://m.twitch.tv/macariuswrench/clip/FilthyCleanAntelopeKappaWealth-THwpdCCmS0lhNJbi

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Not yet! Valve should definitely add it though.

they should remove fountain invincibility entirely

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds awful

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
They should let us kill the fountain again

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So when the versus screen says your teammate won <x> in a row as their super off-meta core, does that count turbo or bot matches or what? Because a very large proportion of these games end about like you'd expect and not like someone that's been having success with a weird pick.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

TOOT BOOT posted:

So when the versus screen says your teammate won <x> in a row as their super off-meta core, does that count turbo or bot matches or what? Because a very large proportion of these games end about like you'd expect and not like someone that's been having success with a weird pick.

i find the start screen is often wrong or outdated information

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I don't think anyone mentioned VIPER is useful for breaking opponents and turning off their passives, I can see him being picked against bristle, husk, etc and have utility even after the bkbs come out. If I'm mid, I like to grab atos first and right click people down. Agree that he's basically dragon knight, tanky and kind of plodding. His scepter also disarms now, which doesn't feel strong enough and I never get it, but if you've got gold to burn might as well.

vvv well played

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 2, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Viper* :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zeruel posted:

i find the start screen is often wrong or outdated information

Sometimes it pulls the winstreak stat twice, with different values for each entry