Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Maps?? Maps!!!
No fuckin way

oof that's a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

team overhead smash posted:

Siren’s Song has been released: https://massif-press.itch.io/sirens-song

It’s a mission and comes with an alternate Blackbeard frame with an integrated super heavy and enough mounts for it to have a second super heavy.
A Blackbeard with two superheavy melee weapons is my new sleep paralysis demon.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm coming back out of LANCER retirement to run an Armored Core 6 thing for two groups on alternating weeks starting at LL3, most of them (but not all, I think?) are goons that have continued playing after life stuff happened for me and I was unable to continue running or playing. It's interesting to see how things are a little different now compared to pre Wallflower 1.0's release was (this is around when Battlegroup was in playtest when I was last active). Is there a general index of hex maps and such suitable for play? Most of the action for these groups will be in Terminal R-1 in Dawnline Shore to put merc ops somewhere in the game's setting.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

We've already seen the awesome work of Ace Combat-style briefings, when's the Armored Core 6-style briefings?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

girl dick energy posted:

A Blackbeard with two superheavy melee weapons is my new sleep paralysis demon.

I'm pretty sure it more or less canonically is one too.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Where are the Cruelty Squad briefings is what I want to know

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Argas posted:

We've already seen the awesome work of Ace Combat-style briefings, when's the Armored Core 6-style briefings?

621 we've been hired to bomb an RLF orphanage and BBQ house

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Argas posted:

I haven't been able to dive deeper into actually adding a slideshow or the like with this but a suitably written chunk of text run through a text to speech engine works out fine. If I can figure out how to actually use some of the cinematic cut-ins that Armored Core 6 does, then the voice over can turn into an audio track and you can shove the waveform somewhere onto the video display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-5XK3CxR8

Each of the two player squads have a separate briefing that diverges slightly but will probably end up changing as each group focuses on different objectives. Tandem / joint strike objectives aren't reasonable after the starter or during special sorties (that is, real time events that happen from one session impacting the other session immediately).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ZmmVjoZpk

Of course, the Ace Combat style briefings are great and I plan to spend some more time diving into how I can make mission briefings more visually informative, but I only have so much brainpower at the moment.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Am I misreading anything or can an Annihilation Nexus take a Paracausal Mod?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
All weapons can take Paracausal Mod.

Not great value on it since Anni Nexus is AP by default, though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

All weapons can take Paracausal Mod.

Not great value on it since Anni Nexus is AP by default, though.

Honestly I'm hard pressed to think of many weapons that really benefit from paracausal, since it turns out it doesn't pierce immunity.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

NinjaDebugger posted:

Honestly I'm hard pressed to think of many weapons that really benefit from paracausal, since it turns out it doesn't pierce immunity.

A bunch of NPCs have conditional resistance and being able to bust that actionless that is what the 4 SP entry fee is for

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Thermal Lance, Pinakas, Big Reliable like Nanocarbon or Kinetic Hammer. HMG.

Very few things are actually immune, but conditional Resistance/reduce to zero can crush your DPR against priority targets when encountered, so the effect is very good; it's just the License placement + SP cost makes it very much a luxurious pick when weighted against Nanocomposites or Supermassive.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even being 4 SP is fine in a vacuum, but being 3 LLs deep into a license that doesn't really offer much to a build that will want to spam a big weapon every turn is rough. It's just very difficult to justify unless you are at a very, very high LL. At least it qualifies you for an HA core bonus, I guess.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Beg for Boosted Servos so you can run NOAH + Paracausal + Skirmisher 2.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Holy gently caress, Siren's Song is good. Not just from a mechanical and play standpoint, but this is the most afrofuturist content I've ever seen in an RPG.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

Holy gently caress, Siren's Song is good. Not just from a mechanical and play standpoint, but this is the most afrofuturist content I've ever seen in an RPG.

Trey kicks rear end and is also an incredibly nice guy and a pleasure to work with

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fivemarks posted:

I'm into the afrofuturist vibe and the Apocalypse Now type of narrative arc is cool but man this needed editing

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Haven't paid close attention to Lancer for a few months and so haven't read the finished book yet, but the pre-release mechanical content for Siren Song was wild (negative) beyond the Empaki's notoriously busted action economy, which I understand did get addressed. I'll give the player-facing content a look over when I get the chance.

What I can say is Siege's art absolutely loving rocks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Conspiratiorist posted:

Haven't paid close attention to Lancer for a few months and so haven't read the finished book yet, but the pre-release mechanical content for Siren Song was wild (negative) beyond the Empaki's notoriously busted action economy, which I understand did get addressed. I'll give the player-facing content a look over when I get the chance.

What I can say is Siege's art absolutely loving rocks.

The art is loving amazing, yeah

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Siege was one of the good poitns of the AdEva community and i'm glad to see he's doing well.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Now just gotta get to the Leech and I'll have total coverage of the official NPCs once again!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m actually playing for the first time with a group of friends I picked up on discord, using the Wallflower module.

I’ve been interested in picking up the Enkidu once we progress far enough to unlock it, and I’m just wondering: any particular recommendations on builds/licenses to pick up?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Regalingualius posted:

I’m actually playing for the first time with a group of friends I picked up on discord, using the Wallflower module.

I’ve been interested in picking up the Enkidu once we progress far enough to unlock it, and I’m just wondering: any particular recommendations on builds/licenses to pick up?

Displacer Enkidu build >>>>

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

MULE Harness for the world's angriest schoolbus

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I AM THE MOON posted:

MULE Harness for the world's angriest schoolbus

ARNOLD module

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Given that like half its turns off when not in the Danger Zone, heat management is pretty important for Enkidu; you want reliable and preferably non-wasteful ways to get into the Danger Zone, and back in when you get knocked out by Overheating or Stabilizing.

Wallflower ends at a fairly low level so there's not much wiggle room for a comprehensive build, but here's a few tricks you can try and integrate:

- Put 2 points in Engineering so you have a heatcap of exactly 10. This is a key HC number because once you hit your Overcharge cap of 1d6+4, you're guaranteed to hit the DZ off an Overcharge from zero. Heatcap 12 (either from ENGI 4 or fluffing up with Superior By Design) is also pretty handy with the wiggle room vs hostile heat, but requires bringing some self-heat method such as weapons or Protocols for consistency. Also, don't bring all heat generating weapons - you want heatless options to stay stable in the red line.
- Pankrati 2 from the KTB splate. Fantastic positioning talent. You can get benefits from Pank1 as well.
- Nuclear Cavalier 2. It's free damage given your modus operandi. Ignore NC3 since you can't shoot while in the DZ.
- Skirmisher 2 and Hunter 1 (with your Plasma Talons) are great mobility picks. They even stack together.
- Taking advantage of the Enkidu frame being Exotic Gear in Wallflower, in lieu of Tokugawa levels you could go Sherman levels for access to Redundant Systems Upgrade as a very handy heat/condition management tool. Off ENGI 2 you get two uses, you can try adding more through reserves or the Grease Monkey talent. If you go up to Sherman 3 then ASURA is also pretty good for the initial scene action bursts trying to get into position/tuning your heat, and HA core bonuses are fantastic.
- Echoing the above a bit, Metalmark makes for an interesting build approach with the Shock Knives and Active Camouflage giving you access to heat generation with decent returns, and Flash Charges combo nicely with the Enkidu area lockdown raison d'etre.

Displacer Enkidu is very funny but it's a LL5 build minimum unless the DM lets you grab a Displacer as extra gear.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Given that like half its turns off when not in the Danger Zone, heat management is pretty important for Enkidu; you want reliable and preferably non-wasteful ways to get into the Danger Zone, and back in when you get knocked out by Overheating or Stabilizing.

Wallflower ends at a fairly low level so there's not much wiggle room for a comprehensive build, but here's a few tricks you can try and integrate:

- Put 2 points in Engineering so you have a heatcap of exactly 10. This is a key HC number because once you hit your Overcharge cap of 1d6+4, you're guaranteed to hit the DZ off an Overcharge from zero. Heatcap 12 (either from ENGI 4 or fluffing up with Superior By Design) is also pretty handy with the wiggle room vs hostile heat, but requires bringing some self-heat method such as weapons or Protocols for consistency. Also, don't bring all heat generating weapons - you want heatless options to stay stable in the red line.
- Pankrati 2 from the KTB splate. Fantastic positioning talent. You can get benefits from Pank1 as well.
- Nuclear Cavalier 2. It's free damage given your modus operandi. Ignore NC3 since you can't shoot while in the DZ.
- Skirmisher 2 and Hunter 1 (with your Plasma Talons) are great mobility picks. They even stack together.
- Taking advantage of the Enkidu frame being Exotic Gear in Wallflower, in lieu of Tokugawa levels you could go Sherman levels for access to Redundant Systems Upgrade as a very handy heat/condition management tool. Off ENGI 2 you get two uses, you can try adding more through reserves or the Grease Monkey talent. If you go up to Sherman 3 then ASURA is also pretty good for the initial scene action bursts trying to get into position/tuning your heat, and HA core bonuses are fantastic.
- Echoing the above a bit, Metalmark makes for an interesting build approach with the Shock Knives and Active Camouflage giving you access to heat generation with decent returns, and Flash Charges combo nicely with the Enkidu area lockdown raison d'etre.

Displacer Enkidu is very funny but it's a LL5 build minimum unless the DM lets you grab a Displacer as extra gear.

Thanks for this! We’re admittedly probably a ways off from whenever we hit the unlock point for the bonus mechs (first two sessions so far were just RP/setup), but I wanted to get the ball rolling.

…In the meantime I’m piloting an Everest with a mecha JoJo Stand for art.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

ARNOLD module

CARLOS-class NHP

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Finished our playthrough of Soltice Rain. It was pretty awesome. I really enjoyed playing with the different scenarios and enemy groups as the GM. My players had a good time messing around with different build ideas, I had ended up letting them choose a LL2 frame for the second mission.

The very final battle was pretty nuts. The teleporting operator was hard to deal with up until I suggested grappling him might work. He failed escaping from that grapple multiple times and was promptly shot up. Being able to have him warp up to a good position, do pretty consistent damage, and then teleport out of LOS was very hard to deal with until he was held down

All in all it indeed was a fantastic intro scenario. Would highly recommend.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The very final battle was pretty nuts. The teleporting operator was hard to deal with up until I suggested grappling him might work. He failed escaping from that grapple multiple times and was promptly shot up. Being able to have him warp up to a good position, do pretty consistent damage, and then teleport out of LOS was very hard to deal with until he was held down

I was in a Blackbeard so I got to do this to the final battle of Wallflower. 10/10, would grapple again. :getin:

I got to do a well-entertained Uno Reverse to my DM even.

"Well, he's a size larger than you so he isn't immobilized."
Me, linking the text of Synthetic Muscle Netting: "No he isn't."
My GM: "...No he isn't."

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Finished our playthrough of Soltice Rain. It was pretty awesome. I really enjoyed playing with the different scenarios and enemy groups as the GM. My players had a good time messing around with different build ideas, I had ended up letting them choose a LL2 frame for the second mission.

All in all it indeed was a fantastic intro scenario. Would highly recommend.

I'm going to GM this module as the introduction to my table for the Lancer system. I've build the NPCs in Comp/Con and it seems like a lot of different units to keep track of regarding systems and traits. How did you keep track of everything? Any advice for the first mission's encounters?

Asking the thread as a whole - Any tips for someone who just bought the core book the other week?

I might put together my own DM screen, what's the charts or definitions you always find yourselves looking up?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Amechwarrior posted:

I'm going to GM this module as the introduction to my table for the Lancer system. I've build the NPCs in Comp/Con and it seems like a lot of different units to keep track of regarding systems and traits. How did you keep track of everything? Any advice for the first mission's encounters?

Asking the thread as a whole - Any tips for someone who just bought the core book the other week?

I might put together my own DM screen, what's the charts or definitions you always find yourselves looking up?

I also had all the NPCs in compcon. I ran the game on a physical table with printed standees as well. I mostly just read the encounter setup closely before each session, there's a good summary on how you should play some of the NPCs and reminders on some of their more impactful abilities.

compcon makes it easy to see what each condition or ability does on hover over but if there were questions that were outside the scope of compcon I just had the Pilot.net discord open and would throw a question out in rules chat. I'd almost instantly get an answer.

I did have a printed summary sheet of actions as well as tables for structure or stress checks. Specifically this one: https://heliospectral.itch.io/lancer-action-reference-sheet. It tries to jam a lot of info in 2 pages so it might be a bit hard to read at times but once we figured out the legend it was pretty helpful

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Amechwarrior posted:

My table didn't enjoy Solstice Rain's encounters very much but from an admin standpoint, compcon and witchdice are pretty solid GM aids. Particularly given how many different NPC types Solstice Rain throws at you.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

My table didn't enjoy Solstice Rain's encounters very much...

How so? I'm open to adjusting them if there's a way to make it easier or more engaging for new players.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More planemechs!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Amechwarrior posted:

How so? I'm open to adjusting them if there's a way to make it easier or more engaging for new players.

It was mostly a lot of little things that just felt off to the group to the point we talked about it after we finished. E.g., a few "odd" choices here and there like the cargo crane rules in the one sitrep with the moveable cargo containers making it feel like the gimmick or special feature of the sitrep wasn't worth interacting with at all and there being no alternate way to handle the bus evacuation sitrep addressed in the module, the reinforcement placement in the submarine assault sitrep being very random in whether the full balance of reinforcements are no problem to handle for the PCs or a huge problem and that seems to be random based on where the PCs happen to be standing when they come on-board, and using enough different NPC classes that it felt unnecessarily admin-heavy and more like the design goal was to use every NPC type than to teach players and GM how to navigate the game systems.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My only real complaint was the enemy variety in each of its missions so that it didn't feel like you got a solid sense of the enemy's tactics.

By comparison for Dustgrave, you generally fight each given enemy faction twice, so you always know generally what to expect the second time. The gang uses the same general profiles as the arena fight. The horrors are the same-ish in all three fights other than the boss. The Talons are unique both times, but the second time you know how spec-ops works and the final battle is a victory lap anyway.

Hours later edit: Also I just really don't enjoy Invisible in Lancer as a mechanic and there's a couple of SR enemies/types with it. Yes, I'm aware that there are several possibles reserves or things you can do in downtime to help mitigate it but it's still annoying to me! Icon having both the Fray die and easier access to 'true strike' attacks mitigate it a lot more in that game.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 6, 2023

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Saw on pilotnet there's some neat new supplements coming along, and can't help but wonder if the SSC Amber Phantom is supposed to be a nod to Phantom Brigade :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bewilderment posted:

By comparison for Dustgrave, you generally fight each given enemy faction twice, so you always know generally what to expect the second time.
Yeah.

quote:

Hours later edit: Also I just really don't enjoy Invisible in Lancer as a mechanic and there's a couple of SR enemies/types with it. Yes, I'm aware that there are several possibles reserves or things you can do in downtime to help mitigate it but it's still annoying to me! Icon having both the Fray die and easier access to 'true strike' attacks mitigate it a lot more in that game.

Invisible is one of those things that I think feels bad for new players at LL0 and LL1 and gets OK with more experienced players and higher level characters. Permanently invisible enemies in particular are extra frustrating because if you don't have an invis hard-counter, you're just kind of stuck dealing with it eat your attacks. I just wouldn't use it at all below LL3 in hindsight, or I'd house-rule it so otherwise permanently invisible enemies have break-on-damage invis instead at least.