Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

frest posted:

my company pushed through a similarly dim-bulb RTO policy and has been bleeding out.

i currently have no supervisor, and my department has lost 7? supervisors in the past 12 months. i used to post about it in the gbs work thread, marveling at the stupidity, but i'm mostly too sad/mad to find the humor in this situation anymore. I have like 14 more years of this poo poo before I can quit and live off my pension.

so now i report to a management intern who is contractually unable to discipline me, assign work, or approve my time. they just send emails. been listening to a lot of early swans lately

drat, they made the intern your boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm struggling to understand the desperate, hysterical drive for RTO

Wouldn't they want to offload the cost of office space?

Is the digital panopticon for remote workers not enough? Do they all have some sorta vested interest in commercial real estate values? WTF is going on?

All I can think of is there's a lot of people in leadership positions that are just uncomfortable with the idea of everyone doing WFM, irrational as it may be

labor discipline is more important than the financial advantages of WFH

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's been a concerted effort from all sides, from small business tyrants to middle managers to commercial landlords and all their hangers on, that working in office is How It's Done

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is the digital panopticon for remote workers not enough? Do they all have some sorta vested interest in commercial real estate values? WTF is going on?

All I can think of is there's a lot of people in leadership positions that are just uncomfortable with the idea of everyone doing WFM, irrational as it may be

RealityWarCriminal posted:

It's been a concerted effort from all sides, from small business tyrants to middle managers to commercial landlords and all their hangers on, that working in office is How It's Done

As well as the government, from the President all the way down to the local mayor.

But, such is life in Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics. We will run society inefficiently on purpose because the rich benefit from the status quo and want their servants physically present when they order them around.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

gradenko_2000 posted:

labor discipline is more important than the financial advantages of WFH

is there really a financial advantage while you're still locked in office leases? It's otherwise unused capacity and you can't get out of those real estate expenditures easily.

If your business doesn't already have it, there's a big spike in IT costs to build up the capacity to have widespread remote working, right?

I am just trying to think this out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Monkey Fracas posted:

Managers hate their families and need to escape
Managers have nothing to do and no real job, except pacing the floor and being seen
Managers believe covid is fake
Anything workers enjoy must by definition be bad for capital

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's 100% vibes, just like everything else now

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Salt Fish posted:

Managers have nothing to do and no real job, except pacing the floor and being seen

My partners boss at their previous job would literally tell his wife that he was needed in the office for every single holiday just to "get away from things". Somehow she never questioned (or he never thought she questioned) why he needed to spend all day in the office going to meetings on Labor Day.

They had a 5 days RTO policy and were bleeding people left and right because county government pays like poo poo. He at least seemed to understand that but was powerless in preventing people from spending all day in cubes taking zoom meetings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eric Cantonese posted:

is there really a financial advantage while you're still locked in office leases?

you can still cut out all sorts of costs from having your office space go unused, even if you're locked-in to the lease. Don't have the offices cleaned, don't stock the coffee machines, etc. etc.

Eric Cantonese posted:

If your business doesn't already have it, there's a big spike in IT costs to build up the capacity to have widespread remote working, right?

there's probably a few edge cases where a corporation's IT infra is so restrictive that building-out the ability to do WFH represents a large investment, but it's bound to be rare because A. lots of firms already had "WFH" capability prior to 2020 as a perk for senior leadership, and B. lots of firms already went through this WFH-enablement effort in 2020 anyway if they didn't have it before, they're just trying to claw it back now

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Twerk from Home posted:

drat, they made the intern your boss
lol, lmao even, yes

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Eric Cantonese posted:

is there really a financial advantage while you're still locked in office leases? It's otherwise unused capacity and you can't get out of those real estate expenditures easily.

I am just trying to think this out.

It's not that big a cost and everybody who's going to do it at all, already paid for that poo poo in 2020-2021 when people still gave a poo poo about covid. The lower cost of office utilities most likely offsets the cost of setting up any necessary WFH infrastructure and then some. AC/electrical costs in the office are much lower when there's nobody there and those are very large expenses.

e: Most people at jobs that can move to WFH already had a laptop and internet at home, all work needed to do is setup VPN servers capable of handling however many WFH people they have and most people don't even need that or only need it for short periods of time to complete specific tasks.

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Nov 29, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's about keeping labor in line and commercial real estate valuations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

boomer brain

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ArmedZombie posted:

it's about keeping labor in line and commercial real estate valuations.

I don't think the bosses leasing the offices give a poo poo about that last one, it's about keeping labor in line and feeling like a boss. Hard to get that same boss feel at home over zoom instead of walking around the office making your underlings uncomfortable.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it's almost year 4 of this. you can get out of your lease by now.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

yes and these offices are what medieval castles turned into. plus management is in all kinds of crooked deals with commercial real estate and local officials such that their membership in the higher orders of class oppression is contingent on religious fealty to number go up. their invites to epstein island depend on mutual dealing.

capitalists don’t experience capitalism the same way you or I do, where commodities (labor) are exchanged for money in exchange for the commodities to live outside of work. they literally experience the opposite, where their money is exchanged to buy your soul as a commodity so that it will generate more money for them. they get off on walking amongst their subjects, comparing the meager perks of frequent flyer programs, one upping on another on the golf course with stories of sexual conquest, and scheming to climb the corporate hierarchy. they are demons. it is not good enough for them to extend hell into your home by way of digital surveillance. they want you in hell with them, every day during business hours. enjoy your commute

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shear Modulus posted:

democratic centralism implies that the decision is reached democratically instead of hierarchically though

i feel like it was the business schools and not me which edited that out tbh

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

boomer brain

boomers are too busy taking retirement cruises & dying off in care homes in that suck up millies' inheritances; you mean xers & fellow millies.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Feudalism never really died. Instead of serfs and lords we have employees and employers ruling over their own little fiefdoms.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

I don't think the bosses leasing the offices give a poo poo about that last one, it's about keeping labor in line and feeling like a boss. Hard to get that same boss feel at home over zoom instead of walking around the office making your underlings uncomfortable.

i think the board members and c-suite are tired into FIRE investment networks and commercial real estate is a huge deal for that, so even though it might not effect the company directly it still influences what is going on for the .1%

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Business manager demographics research summary. Zippia estimates business manager demographics and statistics in the United States by using a database of 30 million profiles. Our business manager estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. Zippia's data science team found the following key facts about business managers after extensive research and analysis:

There are over 87,068 business managers currently employed in the United States.

56.8% of all business managers are women, while 43.2% are men.

The average business manager age is 44 years old.

The most common ethnicity of business managers is White (67.2%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (15.3%), Asian (6.4%) and Black or African American (6.2%).

Business managers are most in-demand in New York, NY.

Seattle, WA pays an annual average wage of $117,523, the highest in the US.

In 2022, women business managers earned 87% of what men earned.

Connecticut is the best state for business managers to live.

Business managers are 43% more likely to work at private companies in comparison to public companies.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

it's 100% vibes, just like everything else now

It's this. Also works in reference to the rest of the economy.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

ArmedZombie posted:

i think the board members and c-suite are tired into FIRE investment networks and commercial real estate is a huge deal for that, so even though it might not effect the company directly it still influences what is going on for the .1%
for companies that exist to spend federal, state, municipal money it's as simple as "whatever the president, governor, mayor, chamber of commerce want." if you're not bringing your employees into the city to generate revenue for everyone else, you're not a team player.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

boomers are too busy taking retirement cruises & dying off in care homes in that suck up millies' inheritances; you mean xers & fellow millies.

it's everybody at those positions regardless of age

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

There are a few “reasons”
- Unimportant middle managers want to feel needed.
- Some people (sickos) like to go to the office and socialize there.
- The company owns the building and wants to use it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

there's a fuckton of financial schemes wrapped up in specifically the valuation of commercial real estate and if that valuation starts dropping a lot of rivets are going to pop out of the framework of the system.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

it's almost year 4 of this. you can get out of your lease by now.

10-15 year leases are not uncommon for large businesses where I live.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The only mismanagement issue is that these bosses are doing this now instead of waiting for GDP growth to drop by 1% so they can downsize all their WFH employees because of "the economy" and then repost them as office jobs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

It's almost like they're acting on class interests rather than age cohort.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

younger millennial managers suck rear end

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

triple sulk posted:

managers suck rear end

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

It's almost like they're acting on class interests rather than age cohort.

I can die happy now; my work here on earth is done. :angel:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Willa Rogers posted:

Business manager

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

democratic centralism implies that the decision is reached democratically instead of hierarchically though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AWWNAW posted:

I was thinking about buying a few things around Black Friday but I didn’t. then cyber Monday came and I started getting emails begging me to come buy the poo poo I was looking at, but I didn’t. now I’m getting emails telling me how crazy unbelievable these deals are. none of the prices on any of the poo poo I’m looking at have gone “back up” and some have dropped more!

I have a feeling the record breaking shopping season we’re hearing about is total bullshit cope

yep. i've been getting tons of CYBER BLACK MONDAY NOW EXTENDED! CYBER WEEK! emails. got a feeling maybe they wouldn't be constantly extending SALES NOW EXTENDED! and cyber week if they weren't still massively overstocked and undersld

i ended up getting a pretty good deal on zennioptical glasses but otherwise eh. was gunna get some new Uniqlo clothes on sale but i've heard their quality has absolutely nosedived faster than a Boeing 737 HBO MAX+ without a firmware update the past few years, so i decided against it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my boomer parents have a great pension (my mom got a rule of 90 one from her HS teaching job) and have been retired since their mid 50s, which was about 20 years ago. all they do is go on cruises, go on trips to play bridge, and play bridge while on cruises

my dad's perspective on the whole worldwide hellhole is basically, well i'm sorry that is happening, but i'm going to die soon so I won't be affected much

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

actionjackson posted:

my boomer parents have a great pension (my mom got a rule of 90 one from her HS teaching job) and have been retired since their mid 50s, which was about 20 years ago. all they do is go on cruises, go on trips to play bridge, and play bridge while on cruises

my dad's perspective on the whole worldwide hellhole is basically, well i'm sorry that is happening, but i'm going to die soon so I won't be affected much

Your dad's cool and sold high. Sorry about your continued existence.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

well you know the old saying, society grows great when old men go on cruises and enjoy themselves

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Retromancer posted:

Your dad's cool and sold high. Sorry about your continued existence.

I'm in pretty good financial shape fortunately (not having kids helps) but it sucks that they really don't understand what's happening. though maybe that's just about everyone - or at least don't want to accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Monkey Fracas posted:

its another layoff op