Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just quit now, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I recently read all of that series, and a few moments like that were definitely off-putting, but they were few and far between, thankfully. Taking someone flying would be totally awesome!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Thankfully, most of that stuff was excised for the show, and it has been all the better for it

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still dreading how they will handle Anissa though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

I'm reading the Invincible comic for the first time in forever and there's some big oofs in it. Mostly just 00s humor with calling someone "gay" or one time Mark just straight up says something is "retarded"

I was listening to a podcast and the interviewee mentioned a particularly racist character depiction which was like "something from the turn of the century" and it took me a minute to realise he meant the end of the 1800s not the 1900s :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AceOfFlames posted:

The rumors I've heard were that they were just going to cut that part out or rewrite it or something to that effect, but obviously that's just hearsay.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AceOfFlames posted:

The Invincible Wiki is so badly written that after skimming her article I can't remember enough about her to know what the problem is?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

The Invincible Wiki is so badly written that after skimming her article I can't remember enough about her to know what the problem is?

Potential Invincible series spoilers and TW for everything you can think of: She rapes Mark in a (successful) attempt to get pregnant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jedit posted:

Potential Invincible series spoilers and TW for everything you can think of: She rapes Mark in a (successful) attempt to get pregnant.

And this is not handled in a "oh he wanted it and it's okay if a woman rapes a guy" way like you might think for something that came out in the 2000s; Mark is traumatized by the experience and even flinches from his own wife's touch as he works through the experience, and then he has to recognize and deal with the baby Anissa left behind, who becomes his own character as the series goes on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh i dont see the problem, like as long as its openly about how hes a victim in the situation? Or does it have some bullshit resolution where he forgives her?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh i dont see the problem, like as long as its openly about how hes a victim in the situation? Or does it have some bullshit resolution where he forgives her?

The comic oddly seems to have it both ways by having Mark have a very realistic trauma reaction (down to affecting his sexual relationship with his wife) and being treated sympatheticly but later on, Anissa is essentially "redeemed" by marrying a human, having a son with him and later on dying in a heroic sacrifice. And right before she dies, she tells Eve that while she's sorry for what she did to Mark, she doesn't regret it because it conceived their son, and when he meets him, he will "understand". It's bizarre. (Though FWIW, Mark never forgives Anissa and is always firmly in "get this woman away from me" territory until she dies.)

The whole thing is more or less recapped here with screenshots (yes, I know its Quora, I'm sorry)

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Nov 24, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's Kirkman for you-- dude has a weird sentimentality when it comes to abusers. Seems to be a trend in this world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

The comic oddly seems to have it both ways

It's not really a "both ways" thing. Anissa simply didn't realise she was doing anything wrong when she did it because Viltrumite society is so hosed up. It's not until she gets to experience making connections with people while hiding out on Earth that she understands what she's done. And like your summary link points out, it's not just her; this happens to all the Viltrumites. Shown an alternative to brutality and strength above all they nearly all find it preferable.

What Kirkman was exploring here is the notion that if you train a dog to bite you may have to destroy it when it does bite someone, but it's not the dog's fault that it bit - that's just all it knows and it's been told that it's right. So with Anissa: she's evil because she was trained to be, not because she was born to be. Given the opportunity to choose she chooses to be good. But that doesn't erase the evil she had already done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of my favorite random once-off jokes was from Johnny Dangerously, when a character is trying to talk up his absurdly large gun and proudly/smugly says "It shoots through schools." Which was a funny bit of excess when it came out and now is just depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl17yr2VWQg

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

ImpAtom posted:

One of my favorite random once-off jokes was from Johnny Dangerously, when a character is trying to talk up his absurdly large gun and proudly/smugly says "It shoots through schools." Which was a funny bit of excess when it came out and now is just depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl17yr2VWQg

When the movie Talk to Me came out, I found out the directors had a youtube channel where they tried out ideas, did skits and short films, etc. A lot of low budget effects, action scenes, and edgy horror stuff. I watched one of their horror shorts that was about a murderous Ronald McDonald slaughtering the employees of a neighboring fast food place with a gun as they cowered in fear. Maybe that sort of thing hits different in countries that don't have near daily mass shootings but I, as an American, found it pretty gross.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

800peepee51doodoo posted:

When the movie Talk to Me came out, I found out the directors had a youtube channel where they tried out ideas, did skits and short films, etc. A lot of low budget effects, action scenes, and edgy horror stuff. I watched one of their horror shorts that was about a murderous Ronald McDonald slaughtering the employees of a neighboring fast food place with a gun as they cowered in fear. Maybe that sort of thing hits different in countries that don't have near daily mass shootings but I, as an American, found it pretty gross.

I remember back in college, one of my friends made a student film that involved a school shooting. Between the time she shot it and the time she showed it in class, Columbine happened. Needless to say, it didn't go down too well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Schools should teach how to read a room!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When we were like 18 or so a friend and I seriously considered making a music video to Alice Cooper's Schools Out that was just a trenchcoat wearing guy shooting up our school in slow motion for a film class.

Eventually that turned into a sketch where said dude gearing up for the shooting in a action movie style montage only to show up and realize it's Saturday.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Nov 30, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This week I watched gone with the wind

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

800peepee51doodoo posted:

For real. The most likely shooter from that gang would be the Hamburglar during a home invasion gone wrong.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Everytime the U.S. has its' bimonthly tragedy that raises some uncomfortable parallel with a current release, I think of Michael Bolton from Office Space. "Why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

For real. The most likely shooter from that gang would be the Hamburglar during a home invasion gone wrong.

If it's the Simpson place I don't think he'd get the chance.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Splicer posted:

This week I watched gone with the wind

The character limit is 50000 so you'd probably be able to summarize with three posts max.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kinda wondering when somebody is going to make a movie with that retro grimy 80s fantasy aesthetic like Labyrinth or Masters of the Universe.

I will always love the guy in a suit that played Ludo. (the big dumb Nigel Planner looking red furry monster), and Sir Didymus rules!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

Schools should teach how to read a room!

"Read the room" is legit the best career advice I've ever had.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

I will always love the guy in a suit that played Ludo. (the big dumb Nigel Planner looking red furry monster), and Sir Didymus rules!

Ron Mueck was the sculptor who made most of the Ludo costume and was his voice actor but he also wore it on screen about half the time (shared with puppeteer Rob Mills) and it would have been an incredibly uncomfortable gig

Kids who grew up in Australia in the early 80s would know Mueck's puppeteering work from various shows like Shirl's Neighbourhood (where he puppeteered Claude The Crow) but most people these days would be more familiar with his gigantic hyperral sculptures of humans that have been exhibited in galleries all across the globe

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Maybe the opposite of "media that didn't age well" but I figured I'd share anyways: Bill Cosby.

I remember as a kid watching Cosby Show & wishing my family was that loving, cohesive & supportive. The first comedy special I ever watched was "Himself" & I literally wore the VHS tape out over time. Later I got into his older stuff with Noah/God & "voopah-voopah...Yes Lord?" plus all the other gold I could dig for. Hell, I still recall watching Picture Pages as a little kid with all the puzzles & everything.

Then info came out about his past with victimizing, womanizing, drugging/assault/rape & it felt like my entire world & memories were a lie. How could someone who felt so honest, caring & funny be so cruel & selfish? I still have fond memories of the good stuff, but man did his transgressions really taint my & everyone else's perceptions. Sucks so much to find out your heroes in public are really villains in private :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wanna watch F-f-f-Froofy the dog!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I came here to post that my wife and I watched the soapbox racer episode of the Simpsons today, but it seems kind of anticlimactic now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Maybe the opposite of "media that didn't age well" but I figured I'd share anyways: Bill Cosby.

I remember as a kid watching Cosby Show & wishing my family was that loving, cohesive & supportive. The first comedy special I ever watched was "Himself" & I literally wore the VHS tape out over time. Later I got into his older stuff with Noah/God & "voopah-voopah...Yes Lord?" plus all the other gold I could dig for. Hell, I still recall watching Picture Pages as a little kid with all the puzzles & everything.

Then info came out about his past with victimizing, womanizing, drugging/assault/rape & it felt like my entire world & memories were a lie. How could someone who felt so honest, caring & funny be so cruel & selfish? I still have fond memories of the good stuff, but man did his transgressions really taint my & everyone else's perceptions. Sucks so much to find out your heroes in public are really villains in private :smith:

Same. The allegations and The Cosby Mysteries will always taint the man’s legacy.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The song "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam has aged weirdly, since everyone now assumes it's about a school shooting when it's actually about a guy shooting himself in front of his class.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Splicer posted:

I came here to post that my wife and I watched the soapbox racer episode of the Simpsons today, but it seems kind of anticlimactic now.

Yeah the last time I saw it on TV the reverse psychology joke got cut which is a shame cos it's one of the best simpsons jokes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Offler posted:

The song "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam has aged weirdly, since everyone now assumes it's about a school shooting when it's actually about a guy shooting himself in front of his class.

It's actually both. Eddie Vedder has said that in addition to the story of Jeremy Delle he drew some inspiration from a kid he knew at school who had committed a shooting.

The irony is that people assume the song is about a school shooting because the cowards at MTV forced an edit to the video so you don't see Jeremy put the gun in his own mouth.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Offler posted:

Is it really aging poorly if it took everyone this long to figure out what the gently caress he was actually saying? :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pearl Jam? More like Pearl mouth-full-of-Jam!

... I'll show myself out.

I think it's been brought up before but hey, tis the season and all that, the lyrics to "Baby it's cold outside" have not aged well. I know that it reflects the social norms for the time it was written but when you have lines like "Say, what's in this drink" have very different implications in the past few decades, it just shows that maaaaaybe we don't need to keep every song as a "Christmas classic".

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I was just talking about this with someone the other day. I grew up listening to him as my parents had a few of his albums in vinyl records. It was some of the funniest standup. I had meant to listen to them again as an adult, but once the info about him came out, there was no going back to that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Randalor posted:

Pearl Jam? More like Pearl mouth-full-of-Jam!

... I'll show myself out.

I think it's been brought up before but hey, tis the season and all that, the lyrics to "Baby it's cold outside" have not aged well. I know that it reflects the social norms for the time it was written but when you have lines like "Say, what's in this drink" have very different implications in the past few decades, it just shows that maaaaaybe we don't need to keep every song as a "Christmas classic".

I'm definitely not defending it, but I don't think 'what's in this drink' had the same date rape connotations as it does these days, and was used more along the lines of using the excuse of alcohol to make decisions that weren't socially acceptable but that were consensual. And it was originally performed as a duet by a married couple to send everyone home at the end of a party. And in the movie that made it famous, Baby was picked because it was less suggestive than the original choice.

But I full agree to modern listeners it's a creepy song and don't like it. It's just that the past was even dumber and weirder with its social norms than we tend to realize.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There’s a very simple change to make the song less creepy.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Baby It's Cold Outside is a song I don't remember hearing at all during any holiday season or other time of the year until boomers started rallying around it thinking they were scoring points in the culture war. I think whoever owns the rights to it did a media blitz a few years back to make money and gaslight people into thinking it was ever a beloved holiday classic in the first place, let alone one that was under threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

ponzicar posted:

Baby It's Cold Outside is a song I don't remember hearing at all during any holiday season or other time of the year until boomers started rallying around it thinking they were scoring points in the culture war. I think whoever owns the rights to it did a media blitz a few years back to make money and gaslight people into thinking it was ever a beloved holiday classic in the first place, let alone one that was under threat.

I had definitely heard it before a few years ago. I feel like I saw it on the Muppets or something in the 90s. It definitely isn't a "holiday classic" though.