Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
our gaming group has two holiday themed games coming up:

Game One: “Santa Cares Not From Where The Gifts Flow, Only That They Flow”
KHORNE SHOWS THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS …..SLAUGHTER !

6k of world eaters (3 players) vs 2k of guard, votann, and elves

Game Two “Only in Death Does Eggnog End”
SPACE MARINES PURGE SANTAS WORK SHOP FROM THE CLUTCHES OF CHAOS”

6k of different marine flavours vs renegade guard, death guard, thousand sons, and chaos knights at 1.5k each

I'm stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tangy Zizzle posted:

6k of different marine flavours vs renegade guard, death guard, thousand sons, and chaos knights at 1.5k each

I'm stoked

Holy poo poo please take pics

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I'm the guard player arrayed against 6k of World Eaters, I just pretty much finished painting up 2 new basilisks to try to take the speed out of them

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I was working on an Armiger and Moirax I bought super cheap off a recaster cause they were $15 for 2x, and they're so badly warped and thin in spots lol. Seriously they were a pain in the rear end to put together and I had to (poorly) greenstuff some obvious gaps.
It didn't help that I was looking at Imgur hosted instructions, so you can't even properly zoom in on things because of compression issues. Surprisingly the GW site came in handy with the rotatable pictures though.

Easy fix is to just make them Nurglish, but that doesn't fit my army aesthetic. Maybe I should just opt for heavy battle damage? One of my cut-in-half Termite Drills is battle damaged and looks pretty good so it would fit in just fine. I'm also thinking about maybe draping some banners on them, but I'm unsure where.

I'm also currently trying to figure out what I should do to the bases design wise. I already have a Leviathan Dreadnought crushing a marine under foot so I don't want to repeat that. The base theme is war torn industrial & mud, so maybe some fallen walls?

---

I also made some sweet progress on my Iron Warriors/Dark Mechanicum Lord Discordant. I didn't want to use the spider head because it doesn't fit my aesthetic, and as it happens the recasted Armiger/Moirax kit had 4x extra heads... so I used one of those instead and it fits really well! I also used a heat gun for the first time to fix the bent resin halberd the marine is holding and wow, not only was it surprising how quickly the piece became malleable and reset, it was also easy af.

Mercurius posted:

I've got some that I haven't opened yet that I'm going to turn into Raptors so if you really want them I can probably work something out. The one downside is that I'm in Australia so shipping is awful :v:

Nah it's cool, but thanks for the offer. I'm currently debating if I should just rip the taloned arms and jetpacks off for kitbash material for my Horus Heresy mk6 Night Lords lads. Although maybe I should just keep them as is & and instead opt for the Night Lords upgrade sprue. Idk I'll ruminate on it for a bit.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 29, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I'm stoked

I'm super curious how this will play out :black101:
Also I'm curious how big that table is going to be!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, I know I just said I wasn't going to buy Guard stuff, but I did see that you can buy a third party resin Chimera for less than twenty bucks shipped:

https://www.modelsandminis.com/AGRIUS_WHEELED_TROOP_TRANSPORT/p2965327_19287671.aspx

I don't like working with Resin but it's a great price and I even prefer the aesthetic of the wheeled design.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It only took three weeks but I have one squad ready for the table, if you pretend one of them is a sargeant.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
The models and minis guy took 6 months to send me my last order, and then sent me the wrong thing to boot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tangy Zizzle posted:

The models and minis guy took 6 months to send me my last order, and then sent me the wrong thing to boot.

Yikes! Did they eventually sort it out at least? Not that that excuses it, of course.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, I know I just said I wasn't going to buy Guard stuff, but I did see that you can buy a third party resin Chimera for less than twenty bucks shipped:

https://www.modelsandminis.com/AGRIUS_WHEELED_TROOP_TRANSPORT/p2965327_19287671.aspx

I don't like working with Resin but it's a great price and I even prefer the aesthetic of the wheeled design.

I ordered some stuff from him in September and still haven't seen in. When I asked about where they were he said that he was just finishing up casting some things and was going to send them out the next night. That was in October. I've heard nothing from him since.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wrr posted:

I ordered some stuff from him in September and still haven't seen in. When I asked about where they were he said that he was just finishing up casting some things and was going to send them out the next night. That was in October. I've heard nothing from him since.

I've had this experience multiple times. I guess they are broke, buying materials for your order with future orders money, they used your money to cast someone's piece they ordered forever ago. You'll likely get your stuff, but in months still, and after more harassing. I waited something like 8 months for an AT scaled warlord from the now defunct nuclear shrimp.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Tangy Zizzle posted:

“Santa Cares Not From Where The Gifts Flow, Only That They Flow”

sorry to self quote but mods...new thread name

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

Make sure you put the PayPal claim in before time runs our.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Spent a hour yesterday finishing up my Disco Lord base:

Headshot closeup with some terrain detail:

Spent an hour today doing the Armiger and Moirax base well:

After this all dries I'll prob sirens another hour making & applying shrubs plus a little texture paint to smooth out edges. Then I'll make some smoke coming out of those circular things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I really need to get some decent gravel, all I can seemingly find on walkabout in town is just fine grained sand.
That and slate, need to check the zoo store for that at some point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Try pine bark and ground cork! Both look more scale appropriate than gravel and take paint better than real rocks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone know of any guides or have any tips on how to kitbash my own Nartheciums?

I had a kinda dumb idea to model a squad of Primaris Vanguard Vets/rear end marines that all double as Apothecaries, the thought being that the Celestial Lions are so hosed for numbers right now that they have begun having veterans also perform double duty so that as little geneseed goes unrecovered as possible.

This in addition to the influence of the Black Templars advisors and their low numbers resulting in an increasing divergence from Codex organizational norms.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

The Demilich posted:

Headshot closeup with some terrain detail:

Spent an hour today doing the Armiger and Moirax base well:

After this all dries I'll prob sirens another hour making & applying shrubs plus a little texture paint to smooth out edges. Then I'll make some smoke coming out of those circular things.

:hellyeah:

This is awesome; I've also got me a couple recast Moiraxes for some Dark Mechanicum allies. I wish I could find a box of Wardogs for kitbash with the Moirax bits, I bet that would look sick.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

Try pine bark and ground cork! Both look more scale appropriate than gravel and take paint better than real rocks.

Think I've tried cork in the past, but I might've grounded it too hard then. But might give it another try at a later date.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

The Demilich posted:

That thing looks amazing!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone know of any guides or have any tips on how to kitbash my own Nartheciums?

I had a kinda dumb idea to model a squad of Primaris Vanguard Vets/rear end marines that all double as Apothecaries, the thought being that the Celestial Lions are so hosed for numbers right now that they have begun having veterans also perform double duty so that as little geneseed goes unrecovered as possible.

This in addition to the influence of the Black Templars advisors and their low numbers resulting in an increasing divergence from Codex organizational norms.

Do you have any spare chain swords? Cut half an inch from the tip for the saw part, and use a pencil sharpener on a little bit of extra sprue for the drill. Then just smooth out a little bit of green stuff on the gauntlet to serve as the housing unit.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do you have any spare chain swords? Cut half an inch from the tip for the saw part, and use a pencil sharpener on a little bit of extra sprue for the drill. Then just smooth out a little bit of green stuff on the gauntlet to serve as the housing unit.

Even just the cut down chainsword stuck to the wrist works, that's how I did my plague surgeon

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That is extremely simple of a solution and I love it. Thanks guys. (I also have a poo poo ton of spare chainswords)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Finished my first minis ever today. Some tiny spots I just couldn't get covered no matter how many times I went over them. Maybe it's the oil from my fingers? Gonna try to do better on the next batch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's generally a good idea to mount your minis onto something you can hold onto, instead of the mini itself. It can be a piece of cork or an old bottle. As long as it works as a handle to hold onto when you paint.
For my most recent project I sawed off a piece of leftover skirting board because using a sprue wasn't able to support it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Finished my first minis ever today. Some tiny spots I just couldn't get covered no matter how many times I went over them. Maybe it's the oil from my fingers? Gonna try to do better on the next batch.

These are amazing first mini's!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

That is extremely simple of a solution and I love it. Thanks guys. (I also have a poo poo ton of spare chainswords)

Failing that anyone with the new 30k marines will have an absolute ton on chain bayonets which are essentially the same thing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Failing that anyone with the new 30k marines will have an absolute ton on chain bayonets which are essentially the same thing.

I second this, those chain bayonets are pretty neat for use with apothecaries:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This fully modeled cockpit in the scout sentinel leaves me no choice but to make an armored one.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just make sure you paint the interior it before you put the armor on.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

This fully modeled cockpit in the scout sentinel leaves me no choice but to make an armored one.

I was painting some terminators earlier this week, and the back is covered in details like the film models of the death star's surface, and it was quite liberating to say "who gives a shiiiiiiit" and leave it all unpainted. And you know what, they're done and look Fine at table top distance.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

I have been avoiding them too as I'd have to convert a driver.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/30/heresy-thursday-the-dark-emissary-brings-the-warmasters-unrelenting-gaze/

Another Heresy Thursday, another great count as Chaos Sorcerer. This time for your Black Legion army.

He disapproves hard.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/30/heresy-thursday-the-dark-emissary-brings-the-warmasters-unrelenting-gaze/

Another Heresy Thursday, another great count as Chaos Sorcerer. This time for your Black Legion army.

He disapproves hard.

This guy has my face when I miss all my shooting rolls.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Huh, so the chaos poster boy for 40k started life as a librarian?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hahaha, never realised there are some similarities there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sons of Horus all look the same.

because they all look like Horus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guess the Alpha Legion had to get the idea from somewhere.