Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Will this be reported on breathlessly as fantastic news, or nah because it’s embarrassing to have lost decades?

What do you think?

https://www.vox.com/health/2023/11/29/23981047/us-life-expectancy-number-76-77-years-bad-why-covid-cdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Definitely good news. But yah, this says that last year was equivalent to the first year of the pandemic, so.....

I'm guessing this year will get us a bit of that back, because the increase in heart/stroke/kidney/liver issues appear to be relatively constant so far throughout the pandemic, and "headline" covid deaths are down from 2022. But we have to wait another 12 months to see that data!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Phlag posted:

The CDC now has a BioBot-style dashboard for their National Wastewater Surveillance System:

I'm not sure how many sites BioBot covers compared to the NWSS these days, but I would guess that the NWSS will have better coverage. The CDC also shares their methodology for determining activity levels and baselines.

quoting this just so that I can bookmark it later when I’m not on mobile.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phlag posted:

The CDC now has a BioBot-style dashboard for their National Wastewater Surveillance System:

I'm not sure how many sites BioBot covers compared to the NWSS these days, but I would guess that the NWSS will have better coverage. The CDC also shares their methodology for determining activity levels and baselines.

i love that it’s hard to tell some of the colors apart from a distance

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
My coworker who I worked closely with for over an hour yesterday is not at work today. I learned today that he came in to work yesterday even though he had a **fever** and "flulike" symptoms. Sure he didn't look his best but I kinda chalked it up to holiday stresses or whatever. I know the dude, we even talked about covid in the past back when liberals seemed to care more, I guess when trump was in office. He's not a chud. I think this might be where we're at as a baseline in society now. I sure wish I didn't have to wear my mask literally everywhere forever to keep myself and my family safe. If people were just like two clicks more thoughtful, if the general public just had a few drops more of a sense of obligation towards other people, things wouldn't have to be this way. But no, I can only trust my respirator now and forever. poo poo sucks. At least I'm probably fine.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20231129_28/

Immunity debt strikes again!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Joementum posted:

I wanted to let you all know that there's an easy Christmas gift for your disease-loving friends and family https://mmlafleur.com/collections/emily-oster-capsule

This is the worst thing I've seen in my life lmao

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Survived surgery at least. it was triple bypass and I am currently heavily drugged. I am talking via avoice to text

Hooray!

Please take care everyone. This thread helps me stay sane.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

[Pestilence] years-bad-why-covid

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Indoor Dying posted:

[Pestilence] years-bad-why-covid

shoulda kept the full thing: years-bad-why-covid-cdc

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

alternative take i did not expect to see in the wild:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/11/28/2208445/-It-s-not-the-quarantine-that-made-so-many-other-diseases-surge-It-s-the-COVID

also, how bout them dogs?
https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1729326723190137000

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I wish more guys would learn to chill. I've seen so many men work themselves into a crippled, short old age.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...-across-country

White House approves free Covid tests for schools

anything to avoid bringing back masks

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Improved ventilation for schools? Drake No*

Worthless RAT testing? Drake Yes.

* Except in cases where someone important has children attending.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...-across-country

White House approves free Covid tests for schools

anything to avoid bringing back masks

we must never shut schools down again, no matter the cost, no matter what sacrifices we must make

"masks? air purifiers?"

whoa not so fast,

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I understand the many tests the government bought are due to expire shortly, so I suppose it is really just done to avoid the headlines about scrapping them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been thinking about how we don't actually need any new theory or innovative ideas on how to organize around covid because its something that at the basic level could be massively managed by treating it as the workplace safety issue it is. "Boss is putting us in unnecessary danger by failing to provide x,y,z, we don't work until he does." Works for coal mines and covid mines.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shiroc posted:

I've been thinking about how we don't actually need any new theory or innovative ideas on how to organize around covid because its something that at the basic level could be massively managed by treating it as the workplace safety issue it is. "Boss is putting us in unnecessary danger by failing to provide x,y,z, we don't work until he does." Works for coal mines and covid mines.

Didn't OSHA already say COVID is great actually?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't think they have, they just got owned by the CDC dropping everything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
someone refresh my memory, was it OSHA themselves that were about to declare Covid a workplace hazard or was it someone bringing the issue up to OSHA that caused Biden to declare the emergency over

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I guess og omicron deaths were January of 21 so yeah.

You’re wrong, but the other day I listened to a senior Biden advisor talk about him ascending the steps of the Capitol in January 2020 and not being corrected by the interviewer, so cheer up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

COVID back in the news here because of a pneumonia epidemic.

"Infections behave differently after COVID, says expert"

NOBODY COULD HAVE KNOWN!!! THIS IS SURPRISING TO ME!!! WOW!!!!!!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No valleys all peaks

https://x.com/andyfromtucson/status/1729940142885081429?s=46&t=aKcI5w-ITyMblbTTR26ohw

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

COVID back in the news here because of a pneumonia epidemic.

"Infections behave differently after COVID, says expert"

NOBODY COULD HAVE KNOWN!!! THIS IS SURPRISING TO ME!!! WOW!!!!!!!

It's (:denmark:) going great (auto-translated for our international friends):

https://www-ssi-dk.translate.goog/s...&_x_tr_pto=wapp posted:

(..)
Summary of respiratory tract infections 20.-26. November
The number of covid-19 cases and hospital admissions with covid-19 has increased further. The occurrence of SARS-CoV-2 in waste water has also increased after being stable in recent weeks.
The number of whooping cough cases remains highly elevated and at epidemic levels.
The number of mycoplasma cases continues to increase and is now at an epidemic level.
The number of RS virus cases is significantly increasing for the third week in a row.
The number of flu cases continues to rise.
Vaccination compliance for covid-19 and influenza among nursing home residents is over 85% and for people aged 65 and over 73%.
(..)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A Bag of Milk posted:

My coworker who I worked closely with for over an hour yesterday is not at work today. I learned today that he came in to work yesterday even though he had a **fever** and "flulike" symptoms. Sure he didn't look his best but I kinda chalked it up to holiday stresses or whatever. I know the dude, we even talked about covid in the past back when liberals seemed to care more, I guess when trump was in office. He's not a chud. I think this might be where we're at as a baseline in society now. I sure wish I didn't have to wear my mask literally everywhere forever to keep myself and my family safe. If people were just like two clicks more thoughtful, if the general public just had a few drops more of a sense of obligation towards other people, things wouldn't have to be this way. But no, I can only trust my respirator now and forever. poo poo sucks. At least I'm probably fine.

I am completely numb to this now. I only trust my respirator. It has kept me safe so many times when I was exposed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

What the gently caress!

You three were supposed to be the tripledemic! You’re getting dunked on by epidemics of has‐beens!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

someone refresh my memory, was it OSHA themselves that were about to declare Covid a workplace hazard or was it someone bringing the issue up to OSHA that caused Biden to declare the emergency over

osha was on the verge of issuing guidance reflecting the former, which totally didn't result in biden rushing to open poo poo up

iirc

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A real risk to our wonderful, benevolent bosses, but I'm glad The Science changed in time to help them out.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

What the gently caress!

You three were supposed to be the tripledemic! You’re getting dunked on by epidemics of has‐beens!

It's called a quintupledemic and it's endemic.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

You’re wrong, but the other day I listened to a senior Biden advisor talk about him ascending the steps of the Capitol in January 2020 and not being corrected by the interviewer, so cheer up.

pingui has already owned me on this i cannot be further owned

Anyway the cognitive dissonance or I guess lack thereof continues to amaze me, I had a conversation with the cousins whose stepfather got everyone sick at Thanksgiving and they are super angry about it but also were unmasked in my shop and planning on taking their baby to a crowded restaurant for dinner.

what the gently caress, people. I cannot keep dates straight but I can maintain consistency of "this bad thing happens in these situations"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

(..)
i cannot be further owned
(..)

I am sure reality will figure something out :)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to be brave and say that I don't like people getting sick constantly with significant risks of serious outcomes every time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

I'm going to be brave and say that I don't like people getting sick constantly with significant risks of serious outcomes every time.

Sounds like ultradoomer virtue signalling. :rolleye:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

Lucky our healthcare system is a well-oiled machine. :rubby:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like ultradoomer virtue signalling. :rolleye:

Putting on my "Would be better if we didn't have illness" safety pin when I go to a restaurant so people know where I stand.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Lucky our healthcare system is a well-oiled machine. :rubby:

Tbf, the politicians are increasing the worker-to-work efficiency in healthcare as we speak. Just a few more rounds of layoffs and we will reach peak efficiency.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Shiroc posted:

pro immune debt posters, smdh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shiroc posted:

But if you don't get sick constantly then you'd get sick constantly???

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

genericnick posted:

But if you don't get sick constantly then you'd get sick constantly???

that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A Bag of Milk posted:

I sure wish I didn't have to wear my mask literally everywhere forever to keep myself and my family safe. If people were just like two clicks more thoughtful, if the general public just had a few drops more of a sense of obligation towards other people, things wouldn't have to be this way. But no, I can only trust my respirator now and forever. poo poo sucks. At least I'm probably fine.

:same: I was chatting with my lab partners; one works in healthcare but got covid from a teacher and then her boyfriend and the other had COVID in 2021 and still doesn't have her sense of smell and taste back (and to hear her tell it she was miserable because everything tasted wrong until a year and a half later and even today she couldn't smell the preservative used on the dissection specimens). I've not been infected yet.

Which of us was wearing a mask is an exercise left to the reader.