Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Captain Oblivious posted:

QC has always been spinning its wheel. Spinning its wheels is the whole entire point of QC. There’s not supposed to be any friction, you are just supposed to consume. Consume the comfortable and unthreatening romcom vibes like the content piggy you are!

Which, all bombast aside, is fine.

Wielder of Lattes
Seeker of Bands
King of TEH
Maker of Singularities
Wheel Spinning Lord

QUESTION
SIX
BILLION
CONTENTS

don't wear it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Your browser has a history feature though, no?
Yeah but even if I do, I’d still need to actually catch up. Which means reading months if not years of QC at once. Only needing to eat part of the cardboard box doesn’t make it more appealing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
QC is set before the Butlerian Jihad so it's spinning its wheels within wheels.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The worst QC character continues to get even worster.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The worst QC character continues to get even worster.

Hannelore is apparently now applying that Hulk Hogan level spray on tan.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I didn't expect QC of all places to be giving a real good lesson on how to help someone else who's having a panic attack.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I didn't expect QC of all places to be giving a real good lesson on how to help someone else who's having a panic attack.
Considering Jeph's own experiences with panic attacks it makes sense.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Hostile V posted:

I was going to say, the way he has characters act often feels like his own lived in experiences, especially when we get to mental health issues.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ayo continues to be uncomfortably real, including the likely recontextualization of her behavior into "I have to be fun or everyone will hate me, nobody will ever want to deal with me having problems and bad feelings."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've never, to my knowledge, had a panic attack, but Ayo's whole... thing is uncomfortably reminiscent of my own deal with college and untreated ADHD.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

She honestly feels like a kinda... better done Hanalore? Like, I don't hate Hanners, but her whole thing is so extreme it's not relatable. Ayo's at least in the realm of somebody I could concieve of knowing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Right, sure - I was more thinking that it seemed like a new thing for the comic to engage with.
It's dealt with quite a few things, but nothing like this amount of detail.

I quite like it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I just wish it was literally any already existing character and not someone who was JUST introduced and whose only functions in the story so far has been "instantly latches onto two of the absolute worst characters in QC, and then has a panic attack". I have no emotional investment in her at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It does not help that what characterization she has gotten prior was both annoying and infantilizing. Haha she’s just an idiot baby person who doesn’t know what words mean!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Haha she’s just an idiot baby person who doesn’t know what words mean!
I'd call it a brilliant parody of how mentally-ill people are portrayed in media if I thought it had any possible chance of being intentional on Jeph's part.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I think we all know there isn't. JJ's standard MO when introducing his latest Quirky Girl idea is to write like 5-10 strips of them having the most generic personality possible, then veer off into some random other direction of how they're going to be a different Quirky Girl from all the other Quirky Girls. Ayo went from "in a little bit of a bad place but took to Hannelore's caregiver type personality" to "instantly became co-dependent on Hannelore and is a complete mess of a person in literally every way" within a month. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes there's more of a tonal whiplash than others. Remember the "the girl at the other coffee place sexually harasses Elliott" bit? QC has always and will probably always feel like JJ is writing largely by the seat of his pants with only very general and vague outlines for plot lines and new characters planned out at any given time. It's the nature of these slice of life, meandering, long term comics. Great for giving something like this a long, easily digestible shelf life. Bad for ever getting above a very baseline level of interesting or good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RIP Harpoon girl.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Mostly it just kind of triggers my sense for "honestly some people actually do need a boot in their rear end and being relentlessly nice can be the opposite of helpful".

Like, obviously the panic attack is the wrong time to do this, but a lot of her problems would never have come up if the university hadn't ignored the fact that one of their scholarship students never actually showed up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SlothfulCobra posted:

RIP Harpoon girl.

I’m so glad harpoon girl is dead

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sluggt Freelance actually had a really big, very satisfying reveal payoff today. I liked it. He does a good job recontextualizing chapter titles, it's something he does a lot that I appreciate!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

in 2023?!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the things I feel Sluggy Freelance deserves credit for doing, and I kind of wish more things did, was "when someone shows up, there is a link to their prior appearance to contextualize it."

The problem is that this then leads to more "who the gently caress is that" links, since the strip linked to usually only has a vague allusion or whatever, so you have to do even more archive diving, but the one for "who is this lich looking dude" was, at least, very straightforward. As long as you remember the general deal for Mohkadun, anyway.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That makes me think: is General Protection Fault still running?

...oh. It looks exactly the same.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wow. I don't think I've even heard of that comic before, but it's still jarring to see it with "2023" at the bottom.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Sluggt Freelance actually had a really big, very satisfying reveal payoff today. I liked it. He does a good job recontextualizing chapter titles, it's something he does a lot that I appreciate!

I liked it too. And I appreciate the work being done to tie a bunch of these side plots together, it cant be easy in this thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does her hair get taller when she feels threatened?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Cargo ships barely have any wake at all, Jacques. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

wrong thread

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Alt text on wildelife got me wondering what their account name is

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Tiger, Tiger is updating again and it's wonderful.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I understand why Girl Genius is doing a slow burn (heh) with the introduction to the Polar Lords, and it's neat that they seem to be pretty different from all the other sparks and monsters the comics have shown so far, but you'd think that all the Wulfenbach troops would know a thing or two about how the Polar Lords operate since Gil fought them off a while back.

I guess this is going to be one of those things that flows much better reading back later,

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

There's two hefty bundles going on at itch.io right now, one for PCRF : https://itch.io/b/2154/comics-for-gazas-children and the other by the Cartoonist Coop: https://itch.io/b/2129/the-cartoonist-co-op-showcase-bundle, and they're both full of great comics.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

I understand why Girl Genius is doing a slow burn (heh) with the introduction to the Polar Lords, and it's neat that they seem to be pretty different from all the other sparks and monsters the comics have shown so far, but you'd think that all the Wulfenbach troops would know a thing or two about how the Polar Lords operate since Gil fought them off a while back.

I guess this is going to be one of those things that flows much better reading back later,

What they're doing now is new. This time they're bringing their own weather with them. Much of what they had couldn't function this far south earlier. Also, when they attacked, a lot of their troops surrendered and asked for asylum, and if they're now revenants, they won't do that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Not exactly a webcomic, but as a fan of Gigidigi's work on Cucumber Quest... https://gigidigi.itch.io/soulsov

(A visual novel with first part releasing on Dec 15)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
About halfway through reading Invincible. I'm doubtful the show will get this far in my lifetime, but I'm really looking forward to seeing them grapple Dinosaurus. "Mark gets First Reformed'ed and teams up with a hyperintelligent talking ecoterrorist dinosaur" goes insanely hard in the paint and also seems like suicide to try to adapt

EDIT: Oops wrong thread. Uhhh KC Green is still doing stuff that's pretty neat

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 30, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elysiume posted:

That makes me think: is General Protection Fault still running?

...oh. It looks exactly the same.

It's impressive how Darlington not only managed to stop improving his art style after like, 2004, but also functionally abandoned the entire core concept of the strip half a decade after that to write pure science fiction instead after working his way up to it, and it's still working out for him as a full-time gig.

I tried to catch up on GPF a few months ago with a full re-read and I got to the start of the third mega-arc and was just too burned out on it to continue.

On the opposite spectrum of "stopped improving art and storytelling a few years in", it's a shame that Howard Tayler got a gnarly case of COVID early on and retired as a result instead of starting up that new story in the Schlock Mercenary universe. I was really excited to see what he'd do without having to work in the constraints of a 20-year-long arc with a relatively stable ensemble cast.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Catching up with Evan Dahm's new comic, 3rd Voice, really digging it so far. I'm always a sucker for post-apoc stuff.

It's been many moons since my last post but I would like to say that 3rd Voice is Very Good, highly recommend.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
noc owns

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

mutantIke posted:

About halfway through reading Invincible. I'm doubtful the show will get this far in my lifetime, but I'm really looking forward to seeing them grapple Dinosaurus. "Mark gets First Reformed'ed and teams up with a hyperintelligent talking ecoterrorist dinosaur" goes insanely hard in the paint and also seems like suicide to try to adapt

EDIT: Oops wrong thread. Uhhh KC Green is still doing stuff that's pretty neat
green's pinnochio adaptation is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

QC Chat:

I'm honestly glad that Applebloom is finally getting someone who has more than a disaffected snark to her bullshit. Marten being nice to her was obviously something she needed in one respect, but Faye reaching into her chest and pulling out her still-beating heart Mortal Kombat style is also something she desperately needs