Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Slay the Princess is not good at the big picture stuff. Honestly found all of those bits pretty bog standard, and part of why the thread for the game makes me annoyed because its one of those "don't look anything up!!! just play it!! don't google!" OPs when like, none of the big twists are that shocking.

Where the game shines is the presentation and interactions. If you think there are not any funny moments, I don't know what you want because stuff like Razor I found decently funny. Same with the character stuff, I don't really understand your criteria for what is and isn't a character, I would say every route's princess is its own character. Like a lot of the charm of this game comes from like, the princess being cute even when she is a scary ghost or whatever, so the game is probably just not for you.

e: I think ultimately its a superficial experience that is not going to have like, any lasting impact, but that is ok. Superficial stuff can be fun and worth playing.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Anyone mention Hira Hira Hihiru in here yet? no

Gorgeous ~15 hour game set in an alternate reality Taisho Japan revolving around a fictional "zombification" style disease (seemingly dead people revive, but deteriorate mentally and physically). While the disease is horrifying, the game approaches its subject from a realistic perspective, with empathy for the Hihiru and those who try to care for them.

The English translation is also superb, apart from a quirk or two in the menus.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

secret volcano lair posted:

Gorgeous ~15 hour game set in an alternate reality Taisho Japan revolving around a fictional "zombification" style disease (seemingly dead people revive, but deteriorate mentally and physically). While the disease is horrifying, the game approaches its subject from a realistic perspective, with empathy for the Hihiru and those who try to care for them.

sold

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i agree that the big picture of slay the princess is like, just okay; the music and art did the most heavy lifting to make the finale hit for me

i think the unique appeal to the game is the reactivity - there’s an astounding amount of routes and i thought the process of discovering new aspects of the princess was fun

as far as big setpieces and stuff go, that’s kind of where the reactivity is a double edged sword - every Chapter 2 can end early or further develop into a Chapter 3, so it’s entirely possible to just miss out on a lot of scenes if you’re not invested in poking at every option

like, i think the razor’s full route was one of the highlights of the game, but I probably wouldn’t think the same if i had gotten a chapter 2 ending and never went back to try it a different way

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

secret volcano lair posted:

one of the fastest wishlists ive ever slammed

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Is MAMIYA good? Never heard anything about it before but the premise seems fairly interesting.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The current English patch for Aiyoku No Eustia got leaked. It’s 100 percent translated and edited, though the team is still tweaking it. But from what people are saying the current version is pretty great, as well as the game itself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MegaZeroX posted:

So I tried out Slay the Princess and wow, I guess everyone else saw something different than me in the game, because I really didn't like it.

On the positive front, clearly a lot of effort was put into it, and clearly the devs really cared about making a high quality experience, with the game being fully voice acted (which is quite a lot with all of the route divergences), a cool and super unique artsyle (that even moves with the mouse), and original music.

The problems is... literally everything else. Like, normally stories have reasons to exist and engage the player, by some combination of conveying a message, having likeable characters, engaging mysteries, exciting action segments, or so on, but I honestly can't identify any of these in Slay the Princess. The VN just kind of... exists.

On the thematic front, the message just seems to be "change can be good or bad." Yes, that's a tautology, you don't need to tell me that. And its just kind of preached at the end. Its not really thematically resonant within the story.

On the character front... there really isn't any? There is the protagonist, the princess, the narrator, and the voices but none of them are really characters. The princess has no basis, and just changes with every choice, which I guess is the intent as she is the goddess of change or whatever, but the fact doesn't make her any more of a character. The protagonist is also not really a character, and no, being info dumped at the end as a god doesn't make them a character. The voices are entirely one note. The narrator is the closest to a fleshed out character, but beyond the info dumping at the end, basically just boils down to being stubborn and sassy.

There are 4 mysteries in the VN: "Who is the protagonist?" "Who is the princess?" "Who is the narrator?" and "Why are the events happening?" None of these are solvable before the info dump, and the info dump isn't an "aha" moment for any of these.

And finally, there aren't really any action sequences, funny moments, or anything else that I can think of that entertained me throughout the VN beyond the art.

So, I'm curious what this thread (and the internet as a whole) sees in it.
It has a few funny moments but I totally agree. I think there are a lot of people who would enjoy VNs but won't touch anime stuff and it's a pretty non-anime VN (the main source of humor is an exasperated british man voice, which is the most western style of humor I can imagine).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

theblackw0lf posted:

The current English patch for Aiyoku No Eustia got leaked. It’s 100 percent translated and edited, though the team is still tweaking it. But from what people are saying the current version is pretty great, as well as the game itself.

Oh dang, I really liked the first chapter (since that was all that was translated when I got it at the time). It's quite solid.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I ended up getting Tokyo Necro shortly after my post asking about it and I like it so far, although I'm still pretty early.

On one hand I can appreciate the weird Extraness of the UI but also I hate how long you have to wait before you can load a save after you boot it up. Also the menu in general is confusing..I still only know how to quickload a single save, not access a full save option lol.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Definitely more chill than any other Nitro+ title I've ever seen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

It has a few funny moments but I totally agree. I think there are a lot of people who would enjoy VNs but won't touch anime stuff and it's a pretty non-anime VN (the main source of humor is an exasperated british man voice, which is the most western style of humor I can imagine).

The "won't touch anime stuff" is really depressing when it comes to trying to get people to play Umineko. My friend isn't the sort of person who would openly say he avoids "anime stuff," but it's obvious that the general aesthetic turns him off. Not in a "he directly dislikes it" way, but more just that it's too foreign/unfamiliar. I kinda wish he'd realize that I'm the same way about Blizzard/WoW (where I think it appeals to him due to a mix of nostalgia and being characteristic of a certain subset of "western nerd culture," but does nothing for me). And now that his daughter (and first kid) was just born, it's not like he'd ever have time to play a game that long anyway.

"Fortunately" there aren't really that many VNs I would care about introducing people to. The number that I'd consider good beyond just "really entertaining" could be countered on one hand. I think Umineko is the only one I'd really want others to play. Other stuff can be really good, but generally tells the sort of stories you can still get elsewhere.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also to be clear the narrator is an actual creator in the UK who's responsible for one of the most beloved horror audio dramas to exist so i can assure you he was probably grabbed moreso for his existing resume than bc "americans like it"

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ytlaya posted:

"won't touch anime stuff"

I think umineko is great but its a rough diamond that does more than just have an anime aesthetic. Main character has pointless traits and even describes as a boob wizard or whatever the gently caress it was. And there was more but its been ages since I read it. I just remember odd pointless anime-as-gently caress moments and pacing as being the bad parts.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

There was a lot of cool stuff going on in Umineko, but it is definitely possible to bounce off those characters. When I realized that I was only reading about 1 in 3 pages because I started mashing the skip button at every edgy torture monologue, I became pretty certain it wasn't for me. Definitely glad for the folks who dig it, though! Maybe someday a podcast like Visual Novel Book Club will do a season on it, I think that kind of secondhand version would be a lot more appealing to me personally. Really liked getting Raging Loop and House in Fata Morgana that way.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm too impatient to ponder all the "how dunnit" mysteries, so that part flies entirely over my head, but I'm totally in for the supernatural soap opera and am closing in on the finale.
The soundtrack doesn't hurt either, some of the most memorable tunes in the genre hiding in there.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
yeah there's a bunch of off putting Japanese pop cultural/nerddom habits in Umineko

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

avoraciopoctules posted:

edgy torture monologue

Wait did we read the same VN? Because while Umineko has its problems (mainly being in need of some editing with an eye on pacing for its more meandering parts), being edgy with drawn out torture scenes was not one of them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ehhh I found some of them dull. I've no problem with them conceptually but my eyes do start to glaze over.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

MegaZeroX posted:

Wait did we read the same VN? Because while Umineko has its problems (mainly being in need of some editing with an eye on pacing for its more meandering parts), being edgy with drawn out torture scenes was not one of them.

The first (only?) one that popped in my head was Maria and her mom.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Mindblast posted:

Main character has pointless traits and even describes as a boob wizard or whatever the gently caress it was.

I'm just going to say if you think those are pointless traits, you might have missed a lot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first two episodes of Umineko are absolutely incredible once you know the solution and can see how many double meanings, hints and generally absurd situations are in every scene. Definitely can drag the first time around though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What's wrong with banquet?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko changes gears quite significantly after episode 2, since a lot of readers were just completely lost and didn't know where to begin understanding it. I wouldn't say it's worse (in fact it's probably more enjoyable to read for the most part), but it's not bursting with scenes that hide insane double meanings in the way that the first two episodes are.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Eva fans sign off! If you are a fan of Eva who is way cooler than her lame husband and son, quote this post.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eva fans sign off! If you are a fan of Eva who is way cooler than her lame husband and son, quote this post.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

even if hideyoshi is sort of adorably lame

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Snooze Cruise posted:

is... is there anyone who thinks otherwise?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's impossible to match Eva's voicelines, especially if you pull from the stageplay. There's just so many images of her poo poo-eating grin that's just chefkiss

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

It has been a fair while since I checked out Umineko, but We got repeated time looping as the witch made me read her fanfic about the increasingly convoluted ways she murdered her family of aristocrats. And I was like, "yeah, these 1%er jerks suck, good on you for killing them Bea, but do you really have to make it take this long to get to the point? I don't care about the truth behind the gold or what this less-but-still-quite-annoying rich boy's true sin is anymore." Rewinding time so they could do a different bunch of lovingly detailed murders dramatically reduced my investment in caring what was actually going on each time. But it wasn't just that, I just did not find any characters I really liked or was rooting for. Parallels were drawn with Poirot, but unfortunately that just made me think about how much more I liked reading about the fun middle-aged Belgian guy solving cases.

Basically, I think it is really plausible that someone could end up not enjoying reading the main 2 characters, and if they aren't invested in what is going on with the 2 main Umineko characters then they might not make it to a lot of the neat stuff later on. Which is a shame, I definitely took a bunch of cool ideas away from the time I did spend with Umineko even if I didn't finish it.

In Raging Loop, I saw a lot of parallels with Umineko (including gruesome violence I didn't particularly want to read about, and skimmed past if I didn't think there was going to be something important in there), but I found myself a lot more invested in sticking around and figuring things out. I would say most of that comes down to having characters I found it easier to get invested in.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

is... is there anyone who thinks otherwise?

seems like avoraciopoctules thinks otherwise

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Let's see, anything in the VN scene I've been looking forward to... I'm pretty interested in Master Detective Archives: Rain Code. I am very receptive to the idea of Danganronpa people trying a new game that drops the death game stuff and puts a bit more of a weird supernatural spin on things. Haven't quite cleared out enough memory on the Switch to install it, but I'm hoping to give it a try next year.

I have been stretching out The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for a while now, but I am really digging the second half. Big fan of the series, and the Apollo Justice Trilogy announcement was very nice news. It even has a story mode toggle now for people who want more of a focused VN kinda experience. I'm kinda interested seeing whether a backported version of that would give me a smoother experience with some cases in AA1 and Justice For All that I kept getting stuck in back in the day.

13 Sentinels has been sitting on the PS4 waiting to resume for a long time. Heard it was excellent, but I think it was a mistake not getting it on something a bit more portable. I feel like I want to really be paying attention and engaging with the game 100%, since it looks like Vanillaware really gave it their all... but on the days when I'm feeling 100% I usually need to take care of real life stuff, alas.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the murders are really not that lovingly detailed at all, half the time everybody is arguing at dinner and then BAM there’s six corpses described as gory but not actually detailed as such. it’s nowhere near like Uchikoshi.

the only thing I can really think of that matches that description is sort of the first couple Tea Parties, sort of, ish

the most actually viscerally uncomfortable scene imo is the wedding scene and that’s literally all oversuggestive metaphor

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

avoraciopoctules posted:

Parallels were drawn with Poirot, but unfortunately that just made me think about how much more I liked reading about the fun middle-aged Belgian guy solving cases.

So it's at this point I should remark that the "fun middle-aged Belgian guy" was actually explicitly written to be annoying, and that Dame Christie hated him so much she literally wrote in an author avatar into her books to dunk on him more. The only reason she kept writing Poirot books is because they were popular, and she felt she should write what the public wanted, but that didn't stop her from constantly writing in how much she hated him into books.

Which is to say that I'm starting to question your sense of good taste in characters.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Cyouni posted:

So it's at this point I should remark that the "fun middle-aged Belgian guy" was actually explicitly written to be annoying, and that Dame Christie hated him so much she literally wrote in an author avatar into her books to dunk on him more. The only reason she kept writing Poirot books is because they were popular, and she felt she should write what the public wanted, but that didn't stop her from constantly writing in how much she hated him into books.

Which is to say that I'm starting to question your sense of good taste in characters.

Sorry, but that doesn't really make a big difference to me. I'm... glad she had a chance to explore different aspects of her work?

Personally, I think it is a good thing that VN fans have a wide variety of choices for what to engage with. Ryukishi07 has had a pretty big impact on the subgenre, and I am certainly grateful for a lot of the other works they influenced.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Umineko can confuse people partly because it's one of very few media in the general space of VNs and "nerd media" stuff in general that doesn't have a pretty basic plot structure and set of character archetypes*. Like that poster mentioned, they couldn't find anyone "to root for." I think when you've spent most of your life solely dealing with stories with very direct plots with clear protagonists/antagonists (which covers the overwhelming majority of media in video games, prestige TV, anime, etc), it can be hard to deal with something that doesn't contain those elements you're familiar with.

It's not even that Umineko doesn't have antagonists within some of its various "scenarios," but more that its general story structure is a lot less clear.

I also think it requires a certain "faith" in the author that won't necessarily seem warranted (which is why, as someone who has read it, I try to reassure new readers that itis warranted). I read Higurashi before Umineko, and Higurashi's "solution" is a bit contrived and directly includes supernatural elements, and this lead to me going off on lots of wrong thought tangents while playing Umineko. It's my personal feeling that it's actually a good idea to establish a couple things before someone even starts playing Umineko, just so they don't waste a lot of time thinking with the wrong assumptions about certain things (that the story itself often makes clear later, presumably in response to Ryukishi seeing that so many people were confused). If there's one thing I'd complain about in Umineko, it's that so much extremely important character stuff is in the first 2 episodes, when most players are likely still trying to come up with goofy theories about the story's metaphysics (or trying to mechanically solve the mysteries at a point when it's effectively impossible to do so).

* to use another top-tier VN as an example, Fata Morgana's characters, while really good, are also pretty straight-forward and simple. You're explicitly told what all their issues are, and they can generally be summed up pretty easily and quickly. The same is true for the overwhelming majority of media in mediums like VNs/games/TV/etc. Meanwhile in Umineko there's almost no end to the stuff you could say about many of its characters. Someone could probably write paragraphs about Krauss lol. And it tells you about its core character(s) in a way that I feel conveys more meaning than if you just directly explicitly explained everything (as the manga does).

Edit: Also, in defense of avoraciopoctules (I think that's who mentioned this), thinking that Battler's behavior is Anime Shenanigans is a reasonable assumption to make when reading a VN. It wouldn't normally be the case that it's actually a meaningful reflection of his personality (even if this is the case in Umineko).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 30, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It sure was a story about a rich family that was full of awful people

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meowywitch posted:

It sure was a story about a rich family that was full of awful people

i like tom. shame greg's actor turned out to be a piece of poo poo but still i remain tom x greg for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I've spent way too much time in my life merging Umineko characters and Succession quotes in my head and on paper, if I go down that road again I won't be able to stop.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I have been stretching out The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for a while now, but I am really digging the second half. Big fan of the series, and the Apollo Justice Trilogy announcement was very nice news. It even has a story mode toggle now for people who want more of a focused VN kinda experience. I'm kinda interested seeing whether a backported version of that would give me a smoother experience with some cases in AA1 and Justice For All that I kept getting stuck in back in the day.

13 Sentinels has been sitting on the PS4 waiting to resume for a long time. Heard it was excellent, but I think it was a mistake not getting it on something a bit more portable. I feel like I want to really be paying attention and engaging with the game 100%, since it looks like Vanillaware really gave it their all... but on the days when I'm feeling 100% I usually need to take care of real life stuff, alas.

I think GAA and 13 Sentinels really are some of the best VNs interspersed with gameplay I've ever played. The Switch version of 13S is also notable for giving characters different skills for different mechs. The normal version of 13S really let you spam sentries into victory, but scaling that down and giving everyone compelling mechanics to utilize really adds a new wonderful layer to the game.