Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

AMAZING. I didn't know that was possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Good Citizen posted:

Rammed in the butt by revelations of Chuck Tingle’s origins

:lol:

Metaline posted:

AMAZING. I didn't know that was possible!

How the hell was I supposed to hear about him? I just figured he was another of many debut novelists... There are so many new horror writers, I just figured he was another.

I might have to get one of these Kindle singles and see if they're as funny as the covers.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
He's extremely popular especially on Kindle and has been for a long time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Welcome, buckaroo

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

escape artist posted:

:lol:

How the hell was I supposed to hear about him? I just figured he was another of many debut novelists... There are so many new horror writers, I just figured he was another.

I might have to get one of these Kindle singles and see if they're as funny as the covers.

he was literally nominated for a Hugo award

and then wrote about getting rammed in the butt by it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

fez_machine posted:

In 2016 I see. I did not really have internet access that year. That and 2015 are big blind spots for me.

Kinda glad I missed it because I'm not sure I would have read Camp Damascus if I'd seen all his other stuff first.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm glad you didn't because that was one of the most fun little interactions I've seen in a while.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chuck Tingle's nomination was absolutely wonderful because a group of rear end in a top hat did it to troll the Hugos but ended up being trolled relentlessly by Chuck instead.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

fez_machine posted:

Ornamented Death posted:

Chuck Tingle's nomination was absolutely wonderful because a group of rear end in a top hat did it to troll the Hugos but ended up being trolled relentlessly by Chuck instead.

I should probably find out who Chuck Tingle is.

I've seen his name but I've managed to avoid anything he's written and only learned, via osmosis, that he writes weird stuff?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ravus Ursus posted:

I should probably find out who Chuck Tingle is.

I've seen his name but I've managed to avoid anything he's written and only learned, via osmosis, that he writes weird stuff?

Too many people admitting they are ignorant of true literature itt

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'm far too sober for this.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
If you use FB, he's an absolutely pro follow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ExplodingChef posted:

If you use FB, he's an absolutely pro follow.

I feel like I would be put on a watch list if I followed Chuck Tingle on social media.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chuck just wants all buckaroos to know that love is real.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait wasn't he nominated TWICE due to his innovative contributions to the field?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jesus The Terror sure is long, hope I can get through this beefy boy before the end of the year

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

This just might be the funniest thing that the BotM has ever generated

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I just spent an embarrassing amount of time looking for a novel called Jesus The Terror.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Jesus The Terror sure is long, hope I can get through this beefy boy before the end of the year

fwiw if you make it 3/4 of the way through or so by the end of the year and just drop it at that point it'd probably be for the best

There were a lot of things I liked about The Terror, a good handful of things I did not at all (mostly the kind of stuff you can basically expect from Simmons at this point), but be prepared for a pretty bad ending, imo

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

fwiw if you make it 3/4 of the way through or so by the end of the year and just drop it at that point it'd probably be for the best

There were a lot of things I liked about The Terror, a good handful of things I did not at all (mostly the kind of stuff you can basically expect from Simmons at this point), but be prepared for a pretty bad ending, imo

That’s what I want to hear when I have about 22hrs left :geno:
I am enjoying it so far at least but I’m way too sunk cost to quit on anything though so I’ll see it through. I’m going to Franklin my way though this thing no matter what

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I am enjoying it so far at least but I’m way too sunk cost to quit on anything though so I’ll see it through. I’m going to Franklin my way though this thing no matter what

Tbf it might just be me that hates the ending, I can't remember if there's been discussion here about it before, and it's really just the very end that... goes strange places. I liked it enough that I've been considering re-reading it even with my complaints.

There are plenty of very good and chilling (lol) parts in the book, I just hated the ending enough (and it's so weird and out of left field IMO) that I feel the need to at least warn people when they're reading it. I know I liked the ending of the TV adaptation a lot better though I can't for the life of me remember how it ended, lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I hope you stumble on the paragraph that was literally pasted multiple times and feel like you're hallucinating like I did.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I liked The Terror the whole way through. I'd agree the ending is the weakest part though, and it doesn't help that it's a long-rear end book and by that point you're ready for it to be done.

I just finished Echo by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and thought it was pretty good. It tries to do too much I think and ends up feeling a bit unfocused, but there were a lot of parts that really worked for me. I'm a sucker for anything folk horror, the survival stuff in the mountains was cool, and the idea of the victims "falling" for an infinite amount of time only to come to screaming with no sense of how much time has actually passed, living in fear that it could happen again at any time is seriously horrifying. After a creepy as gently caress prologue it takes a bit too long to get the really good stuff, but it does get there.

I haven't read Hex by the same author yet and I've heard that's excellent, I've already requested it from the library.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

gey muckle mowser posted:

I haven't read Hex by the same author yet and I've heard that's excellent, I've already requested it from the library.

I liked Echo (but I agree it was trying to do a bit too much sometimes). And Hex is a lot tighter and more focused in comparison, so you'll likely enjoy it! Heuvelt is definitely on my "will absolutely pick up their next book" list of authors currently. (It looks like he has a decent back catalog that hasn't been translated yet, too.)

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!

Opopanax posted:

Great timing, I just finished this and wanted to ask: should I read Hyperion if I what I didn't like about The Terror was those chapters where characters lore dump in incredibly awkward conversations, instead of just recalling them internally (e.g. let me tell you all about Darwin and my other friend Charles Babbage and his mechanical calculating device)? I don't know how much of that exists in his other books.

As for the ending, I liked it - and it sure beats the TV one (and tbf the TV show is lesser in almost all regards)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Hex might be my favorite thing I read this year

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
The last horror novel I finished was Manhunt by Gretchen Felker-Martin. I enjoyed it as a dystopian, horror version of Y the Last man but the sexual assualt, rapey aspects of the monsters was a bit off putting. I loved both of the main characters though Fran had me facepalming a bit.

I'm taking a break by reading the third Zoey Ashe book before I pick my next horror novel but I have Huge by Brent Butt or Brainwryms by Alison Rumfitt. I think I may go with Huge, both because Corner Gas is a big thing in Canada and if Brainwryms is anything like Tell Me I'm Worthless I may want a longer break between Manhunt and it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Hope your niece likes the books and stickers :unsmith:

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Giragast posted:

Great timing, I just finished this and wanted to ask: should I read Hyperion if I what I didn't like about The Terror was those chapters where characters lore dump in incredibly awkward conversations, instead of just recalling them internally (e.g. let me tell you all about Darwin and my other friend Charles Babbage and his mechanical calculating device)? I don't know how much of that exists in his other books.
Read the first Hyperion book and and stop there.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bail on The Terror (book) and jump into The Terror (season one of the tv show)

(it's really really good)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think I made it more than 15 minutes into Season 2

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Terror is a great 400-page book hiding in an average 800-page book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is so insanely cold though. Never has a book made me feel colder.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't think I made it more than 15 minutes into Season 2

you dodged a bullet, it was extremely bland and boring

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Kubricize posted:

The last horror novel I finished was Manhunt by Gretchen Felker-Martin. I enjoyed it as a dystopian, horror version of Y the Last man but the sexual assualt, rapey aspects of the monsters was a bit off putting. I loved both of the main characters though Fran had me facepalming a bit.

I'm taking a break by reading the third Zoey Ashe book before I pick my next horror novel but I have Huge by Brent Butt or Brainwryms by Alison Rumfitt. I think I may go with Huge, both because Corner Gas is a big thing in Canada and if Brainwryms is anything like Tell Me I'm Worthless I may want a longer break between Manhunt and it.

I finished Brainwyrms not too long ago. You will want the break. You need it. Would not read Manhunt and Brainwyrms back to back and I am a big fan of both.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Opopanax posted:

https://youtu.be/xMRpYtAhGAo?si=C-hsQzZniWgIXWzH

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ornamented Death posted:

The Terror is a great 400-page book hiding in an average 800-page book.

And the better brick novel about the Franklin expedition is Richler's Solomon Gursky Was Here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
read Gollitok after seeing it mentioned here. it was a decent page-turner with some great lines (i'm easily taken in by pithy soviet-tinged dialogue about the arbitrary cruelty of the world) but the ending was weak. even switching the last two paragraphs would have been an improvement

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
VBC you are costing me a fortune with your tantalising reviews

(Don’t stop though)

I was looking at Out There Screaming which is a black author anthology. Anyone else read this yet? I like short stories especially for my once a week commute to reassure the office I’m still alive. Getting to engage with an entire story is perfect to offset the dreariness of the British rail system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ClydeFrog posted:

VBC you are costing me a fortune with your tantalising reviews

(Don’t stop though)

I was looking at Out There Screaming which is a black author anthology. Anyone else read this yet? I like short stories especially for my once a week commute to reassure the office I’m still alive. Getting to engage with an entire story is perfect to offset the dreariness of the British rail system.

I'm so sorry and you're welcome! I did pick up a copy of that anthology but haven't cracked it open yet. I've heard it's more ambiguous literary horror? But I'm not sure where I read that. Maybe a blogger in passing. That does kinda track from the authors I recognize. I have no idea, yet.

Speaking of book recs.

Where the Dead Wait by Ally Wilkes [white british woman]

quote:

An eerie, atmospheric Polar Gothic following a Victorian explorer in search of his lost shipmate and his own redemption.

William Day should be an acclaimed Arctic explorer. But after a failed expedition, in which his remaining men only survived by eating their dead comrades, he returned in disgrace.

Thirteen years later, his second-in-command, Jesse Stevens, has gone missing in the same frozen waters. Perhaps this is Day’s chance to restore his tarnished reputation by bringing Stevens­­—the man who’s haunted his whole life—back home. But when the rescue mission becomes an uncanny journey into his past, Day must face up to the things he’s done.

Abandonment. Betrayal. Cannibalism.

Aboard ship, Day must also contend with unwanted passengers: a reporter obsessively digging up the truth about the first expedition, as well as Stevens’s wife, a spirit-medium whose séances both fascinate and frighten. Following a trail of cryptic messages, gaunt bodies, and old bones, their search becomes more and more unnerving, as it becomes clear that the restless dead are never far behind. Something is coming through.

I.... don't like it. I'm 33 minutes from finishing it according to my moon plus reader app so I will. But it's more literary fiction than I like. The horror is more semi ambiguous mental illness, suppressed homosexuality, survivors guilt, and massive amounts of white british colonizer. [spoiler] There is explicit horror in that [spoiler] hey there are monsters and it's not just in the mentally ill main character's head. But it's too small a portion to satisfy my horror novel tastes. I suppose I went in hoping for something similar to Dark Matter by Michelle Paver in terms of supernatural / paranormal content.

It's very well written and a great book, but it's just not for me. It does nail the white british colonizer attitude very well. It's definitely more literary / suspense with horror flavors. If her other book, All the White Spaces, is anything like this I'll skip it too. It's also set in the arctic, allegedly paranormal, historical, and has a closeted [gay?] trans man main character. I suppose Wilkes is consistent in her locales.

Also btw since this is historical, there's typical anti indigenous racism and racial slurs.

Speaking of literary fiction with horror flavoring....

Mothtown by Caroline Hardaker [white british woman]

quote:

Including illustrations from bestselling illustrator and political cartoonist, Chris Riddell, Mothtown is the unsettling and eerie new novel by Caroline Hardaker, perfect for fans of Midsommar and Rivers Solomon’s Sorrowland.

As a child, David could tell something was wrong.
The kids in school spread rumours of missing people, nests of bones and bodies appearing in the mountains. His sister refused to share what she knew, and his parents turned off the TV whenever he entered the room. Protecting him, they said.
Worse, the only person who shared anything at all with him, his beloved grandpa, disappeared without a goodbye. Mum and Dad said he was dead. But what about the exciting discovery Grandpa had been working on for his whole life?

Now 26, David lives alone and takes each day as it comes. When a strange package arrives on his doorstep, one with instructions not to leave the Earth, a new world is unfurled before David, one he’s been trying to suppress for years.

Blending horror and literary fiction, Mothtown is the strange new novel from celebrated author Caroline Hardaker.

This certainly nails the childhood to adulthood feeling of 'Being Different and not understanding Why and everyone around you expects you to automatically Know Things inherent from birth'. Yeah it's from a white person's POV but I sympathized from a neurodivergent, not white, not cishet point of view. The constant frustration of 'no I don't know, just tell me and stop acting like its weird for me not to know'. The general lack of compassion or external thinking from others that have never considered there's an experience of life that does not perfectly align with there's. Woops, tmi? Well anyways.

Yes there's horror elements like the summary describes, and it goes into a bit of otherworld? alternate universe? merely abandoned town seen through the eyes of a mentally ill person? And oh yeah there's definitely mental illness. I liked how that played into the ambiguous mystery. Sure the world is dealing with a strange crisis of missing persons. But is there a supernatural / magical aspect to it, or is his mental illness coloring his perception? Who the gently caress knows. It's definitely different than the usual horror I read and I like that unanswerable mystery of just what horrible thing going on that nobody wants to tell the main character about. I also appreciated the usage of a chrysalis imagery in addition to the insect / moths. It side stepped the usual trans Egg metaphor joke..

Anyways, here's some more straight up horror.

Nestlings by Nat Cassidy [white american man. He's Jewish or raised Jewish?? I don't know I don't do deep dives on people's geneology beyond race and nationality. Either way, whoa cool]

quote:

Ana and Reid needed a lucky break.
The horrifically complicated birth of their first child has left Ana paralyzed, bitter, and struggling: with mobility, with her relationship with Reid, with resentment for her baby. That’s about to change with the words any New Yorker would love to hear—affordable housing lottery.

They’ve won an apartment in the Deptford, one of Manhattan’s most revered buildings with beautiful vistas of Central Park and stunning architecture.

Reid dismisses disturbing events and Ana’s deep unease and paranoia as the price of living in New York—people are odd—but he can’t explain the needle-like bite marks on the baby.

I'm calling this Parenthood Horror and slapping it in my calibre bookshelf with Katrina Monroe's Graveyard of Lost Children and William Friend's Let Him In. [side note if anyone knows of a book that fits this, please let me know. I like venn diagram type bookshelves.] Honestly, you know how video games started having father / child plots because the [usually male] game devs started becoming parents? This kinda feels similar to me. But I digress.

Becoming a parent and all the unmentioned horrors that go along with it. Not just post partum psychosis, sleepless nights, and Baby's First poo poo, but also the ghost that wants to possess you because they never got the chance at parenthood. The monster that wants to eat your baby. The haunted house that's going to disappear you like all the other families before you.

This book was great. I loved the monster, which I have yet to see in a horror novel, ever? Personally, anyways. I thought the relationship was prety realistic and terrifying. Goddam you trusted this man to love and support you and he ends up doing the same ableist poo poo as everyone else.

Also yeah this is apparently a Quarantine Book. But it's pretty good for when it was made. [coughs 'we didnt start the fire by fall out boy' coughs] Oh, and I suppose this goes into the same mini bookshelf as 'The Bonus Room' by Ben H. Winters. Not as a perfect copy, just in a similar vein of modern day location horror featuring parenthood / family.

Here's some just released books that look interesting.

Heavy Oceans by Tyler Jones [white american man]

quote:

From Tyler Jones, author of MIDAS and BURN THE PLANS, one of Esquire's Best Horror Books of 2022, comes a story of deep sea terror and cosmic horror.

Struggling with the pressures of being a new father and the weight of regrets, Jamie Fletcher travels to Hawaii in hopes of connecting with his estranged brother, Eric.

After a shocking act of violence, the brothers end up on a fishing boat--along with the captain and his son--in the middle of the ocean, where they encounter an uncanny and terrifying phenomenon that will signal a shift in the evolution of the world.

I've never read anything from this author but Nat Cassidy endorses this book, so I'll give it a go. Ocean horror is always fun!

The Folly by Gemma Amor [white british woman]

quote:

From Bram Stoker and British Fantasy Award nominated author Gemma Amor comes an atmospheric gothic mystery that will haunt you long after the final page is turned.

Morgan always knew her father, Owen, never murdered her mother, and has spent the last six years campaigning for his release from prison. Finally he is set free, but they can no longer live in the house that was last decorated by her mother’s blood. Salvation comes in the form of a tall, dark and notorious decorative granite tower on the Cornish coastline known only as ‘The Folly’. The owner makes them an offer: take care of the Folly, and you can live there. It’s an offer too good to refuse.

At first the Folly is idyllic, but soon a stranger arrives who acts like Morgan’s mother, talks like her mother, and wears her dead mother’s clothes. Is this stranger hell-bent on vengeance, in touch with her restless mother’s spirit itself, or simply just deranged? And, most importantly, what exactly happened the night Morgan’s mother died?

An atmospheric nod to The Lighthouse, with hints of Du Maurier’s Rebecca, played out on a lonely, Cornish backdrop, THE FOLLY is visceral mystery and family drama, a dark examination of love, loyalty, guilt and possession that draws on the very real horror of betrayal by those closest to us, by those we love the best.

I keep seeing this author with decent award endorsements, but have never gotten around to cracking open one of her books. It also doesn't help that her name is so similar to Gemma Files, whose works I have read aside from one or two. Maybe this is one to start with. I'm not sure how I'd react to a doppleganger of my dead family member beyond screaming crying making GBS threads myself and simultaneously putting the boots to them. What the gently caress.