Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

It will be incredible once we actually see him in action and realize between fantastic still poses, he talks and acts like Mr. Bean

And I'll be ok with Ncuti Gatwa channeling the Rowan Atkinson Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
After Ruby, Gatwa’s next companion should be Matt Berry

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Is the Doctor claiming he invented the ice cream treat he is advertising through the casual death of Necross, last of his species!?

Looking forward to the Big Finish audio sequel to this.

HD DAD posted:

You can gently caress that sky high! Not after the last time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

After Dhawan, Gatwa’s Master should be Matt Berry

Warthur
May 2, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I'd be shocked if it's brought up again. I forget where I saw it, but I think I saw RTD say he wasn't going to retcon it, but to me, that says he'll just ignore it and move on.
Having discussed it upthread and thought on it:

- I think the big weakness of the Timeless Child concept is that "The Doctor is not Gallifreyan, they're from some next-tier-up society of regenerating spacetime enigma-people who are lost to the Doctor" is just "The Doctor is Gallifreyan, and their home planet is lost to them" with extra steps. You can't actually address it and resolve it without plumping for one of a) saying "it was a big lie", b) saying that it was a time loop situation, so the Doctor was the last survivor of the "original" iteration of Gallifrey punted back in time to give their early culture a leg up via the regeneration discovery to avert a disaster that could not be solved any other way, or c) just plain inventing a Time Lordier tier of Time Lords who are the real Time Lords and manipulated the Gallifreyan into being entry-level Time Lords.

Jo Martin is great but any retcon can simply have her be a future Doctor who couldn't 100% level with 13 about what was going on.

- I think the big strength of it is that "The Doctor's home is lost to them" is a story angle we already know works and that RTD can do good work with. If he really, really wanted to resolve it, he could and could probably find a way to make it broadly satisfying. (Hell, go with the idea which I think comes up in some of the Eighth Doctor novels of "once you get involved in a Time War you just have to kind of accept that people are going to paradox up your past so your backstory mutates every so often, the person you are now is far more important than whoever you were centuries ago.") But he doesn't need to resolve it - just make it something which adds emotional texture or complicates his relationship with Gallifrey/the Time Lords the next time they turn out to be still around in some form.

Also, because it's now established as possible to revert to a previous face via regeneration, Jo Martin as Sixteenth Doctor is a possibility you can just go for without a retcon.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Warthur posted:

Having discussed it upthread and thought on it:

Much like the Doctor, Time Lords and the Master are a bunch of liars. Time Lords told the Master this for ~rEaSonS~ and needed to tell him this lie to distract him.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Much like the Doctor, Time Lords and the Master are a bunch of liars. Time Lords told the Master this for ~rEaSonS~ and needed to tell him this lie to distract him.

I mean, I wouldn't put it past the Time Lords to put a bunch of cannon fodder in the Master's way to turn into Cybermen for ~rEaSonS~. Perhaps they needed to stoke his jealousy of the Doctor so that he'd be thrown off his game, because they know he fucks up a lot whenever he prioritises pettiness over efficiency.

Not impossible that the Fugitive Doctor is a future Doctor who got strongarmed into misleading 13 and begrudgingly went along with it because she remembered being misled and thought "well, I screw up the timeline for all the incarnations between her and me if I don't go through with this".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think this is actually why the Timeless Child reveals didn't really have much impact for me: why the gently caress am I supposed to trust these people!? Every source involved is a compulsive liar every other day of the year, why is this one reveal supposed to have impact?

Writers, please stop giving your integral infodumps to your cast's biggest liars. That wasn't even the only time that happened that year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, it's just lore cruft without emotional resonance, and a well the show's been to before with the reveal at the end of The Name Of The Doctor so even the novelty factor's out the window. It was never gonna hit.

It's a trap that a lot of mediocre Doctor Who falls into tbh, BIIIIIG revelations that aren't particularly meaningful because the things they're loving with aren't meaningful in the first place. But it's a pitfall that goes back to the shows roots as, you know, basically a soap opera -- but one whose longest tenured elements are concepts rather than actors.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not even that but it's an understandable impulse from Chibnall - just a very misguided one. It seems pretty clearly aimed at the same target as Cartmel all those years back: The Doctor's not Mysterious Enough any more, but the reasoning is different for the Timeless Child than the Other. Chibnall seems to think the issue is that we know too much about Gallifrey for the Doctor's origin to be properly mysterious so they have to be a Special Child from Somewhere Else that we don't know anything about. Except that in introducing that you have to explain way more about Gallifrey and also have to try and squeeze in why the Doctor thinks they're from Gallifrey and whoops you've just added way more lore in your attempt to obfuscate the lore. At least the Cartmel Masterplan had the element of the Doctor knowing way more than they were telling the companions/audience so there was the intrigue of 'what does he know that we don't'. The Timeless Child stuff is pointless because the show's not going to pivot to the Doctor trying to find their lost true people (partly because that's not the format and partly because that would defeat the purpose of trying to inject mystery) but that's the only logical response to the reveal so.... the show just tries to wave it's hands and hope you don't think too much about it once the episode is over.

It honestly reminds me of superhero comics. Specifically characters like the Donna Troy Wonder Girl, Power Girl or Hawkman, where every other writer tries to 'fix' their convoluted backstory but because they have to reconcile why their new version doesn't line up with previous canon it just layers on top and makes things even more muddled than just leaving it alone would.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think we are only 2 more specials and 4 episodes away from being far enough away from timeless child to ignore and any implications it could have just like any streak of eps you don't care for and don't get their plots revisited or otherwise considered whiffs. Or even ones you like. I demand to see the lizard people share the Earth in 1,000 years like everyone kinda pinky promised.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HD DAD posted:

Time and Relative Die-men-see-ons in Spaaah-ace!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Just caught up with the Children in Need special with NuDavros, and while I'm not thrilled with the change, if that's what it takes to keep the Yoof engaged with the show then whatever. But - doesn't "disfigured guy in a wheelchair" also apply to the Daleks themselves? That's literally all they are, congenitally hosed-up little dudes with mobility aids. Are they all going to be normal looking and walking around too?

e: just a guy in shorts wandering around pointing his finger at passersby casually going 'Exterminate"

e2: i did like the punchline with the plunger but ngl i think it would have been funnier coming from oldDavros

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 30, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Time and Relative Die-men-see-ons in Spaaah-ace!

I’m imagining a Matt Berry Doctor shouting “SONIC!” every single time he uses it

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
https://youtu.be/QjAm6HuGnmQ?si=pZODQ_CjlxDO2GTo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Just caught up with the Children in Need special with NuDavros, and while I'm not thrilled with the change, if that's what it takes to keep the Yoof engaged with the show then whatever. But - doesn't "disfigured guy in a wheelchair" also apply to the Daleks themselves? That's literally all they are, congenitally hosed-up little dudes with mobility aids. Are they all going to be normal looking and walking around too?

I think there's room between dude with prosthetics in a wheelchair and stringy brain squid puppet in a robot tank.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Clipperton posted:

e: just a guy in shorts wandering around pointing his finger at passersby casually going 'Exterminate"

Could be worse

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yes :lol:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Clipperton posted:

e2: i did like the punchline with the plunger but ngl i think it would have been funnier coming from oldDavros

Daleks don't look like a disfigured person in a wheelchair. They look like ambulatory bins.

This isn't the equivalence you seem to think it is

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HD DAD posted:

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 30, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HD DAD posted:

As long as he's in character as either Stephen Toast or Jackie Daytona.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In some parallel universe, Daleks look like ambulatory police boxes and the Doctor travels in a London rubbish bin that's bigger on the inside.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

HD DAD posted:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

HD DAD posted:

playing himself

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

When will those idiot suits at the beeb finally give us the doctor we deserve - Brian Butterfield.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

When will those idiot suits at the beeb finally give us the doctor we deserve - Brian Blessed hosting his unhinged Have I Got News For You episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlPRA-2OgtE

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
drat it, you click on one "DOCTOR WHO IS WOKE AND RUINED! FANS OUTRAGED" YouTube video just to see what the idiots are saying and the next thing you know the algorithm FLOODS you with them.

I did like this comment, though.

quote:

This is the same show that had a sonic trowel, deadly Christmas trees, 3D glasses that let you see void stuff and more.

Outside of technology, we've had the moon being an egg, bees actually being aliens, a sentient universe taking the form of a talking frog... and that's just from New Who.

If you draw the absurdity line at wheelchair with projectiles I think you might be watching the wrong show.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Clipperton posted:

The Daleks aren't so much disfigured as they're mutants, and I don't think any kid in a wheelchair is going to see one and think "oh no, he's just like me, I guess we really *are* all villains..."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

This is apparently blocked in my country so I'm now desperate to know what it is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's Brian Blessed from a 2008 episode of Have I Got News For You, where he was absolutely bouncing off the walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif3FM6PQtw

Basically travel back in time and turn that version of him into a Doctor

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That one's blocked for me too. Let's try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHrhSTY9Wg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

In some parallel universe, Daleks look like ambulatory police boxes and the Doctor travels in a London rubbish bin that's bigger on the inside.

What is a police box but a big rubbish bin?

Nevermind, you never see cops actually in the things so the joke doesn't make sense.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Watched last night, after spending a week off-grid in the woods. Want to get impression down fresh but slept on before I scroll back through what everyone else has said about it.

I hated the preamble,I understand why they did it, just loving loathe a show talking to me directly like that. Maybe this entire premise was a bad idea.

It kind of half assed the whole new-doc post regen stuff with Tennant mostly just ignoring it with the two lines about "I guess I say that now" and it was lame. If you're not going to do it proper, just leave it for Ncuti.

The meep looked like some of it was practical, and it was gorgeous work. But the bug police were done with the pocket change leftover, which yeah, that's my Doctor Who right there. Missed you.

The hallway shootout was boring, especially in comparison to the outside street fight. Like they had two totally different directors and one of them was just worlds better. Bug police's detection of the meep was working on some painfully poorly paced "speed of script" poo poo. The characters weren't interacting with the firefight, they just meandered around it. Aside from establishing the glow-eyes and bugs were against one another, it didn't do anything for the episode.

The overall pacing was like a tiktok video and I hated it. Nothing had room to breathe and emote, it was just shouted lines (and gently caress the sound mixing, I thought for sure they'd fix that, but nope) back and forth.

By all means lets do the new science advisor, but her "I'm too cool to be excited to meet the most interesting alien ever" attitude was lame, but not as lame as her secret agent wheelchair only having weapons in it. Missiles aren't clever. Also, new Tardis sweeping ramps means she's totally coming along for an episode.

Rose being trans is cool, eat it UK pearl clutchers, but the whole 'that time we said the word binary' bit was lame. That was a Chibnall move. gently caress off with the destiny poo poo, just have crazy queer space adventures.

It felt like the worst episode of a season I'm going to enjoy and I'm excited to see the next one, but not as excited as I am to get to the actual new doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well she does belong to UNIT and they're just violent psychos running on fumes from doctor encounters.

I do know if I knew of the Doctor before meeting one, I would also act unimpressed. That's the move that made me like her. If she'd been fangushing I would've rolled my eyes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Khanstant posted:

Well she does belong to UNIT and they're just violent psychos running on fumes from doctor encounters.

I do know if I knew of the Doctor before meeting one, I would also act unimpressed. That's the move that made me like her. If she'd been fangushing I would've rolled my eyes.

Yeah, we just had a fangirl CSO with Osgood and she was great for her first appearance and then absolutely awful afterwards.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Khanstant posted:

I literally rolled my eyes at her. Truly, Rusty cannot win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, we just had a fangirl CSO with Osgood and she was great for her first appearance and then absolutely awful afterwards.
Osgood was six seasons and nearly ten years ago. She gushed in her early episodes (of three total), but was plenty aloof in the Invasion/Inversion. I could use some joy and excitement in DW again, being too cool to be excited is done to death and boring.