Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Zenithal priming means you spray it black first, then grey or white but only from above. Just get another rattlecan and go hog wild.

Or don't, because restraint is important in zenithal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Combine zenithal priming with a drybrush of white to catch the additional edges the zenithal didn't quite get for maximum :discourse:.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fearless posted:

Currently running a special on Kirkland 155mm white phosporus shells! Free delivery!

oh poo poo I just thought of a Rakshasa with a Great Value label on it (get it, because it's a Wal-Mart brand Mad Cat)

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

GD_American posted:

oh poo poo I just thought of a Rakshasa with a Great Value label on it (get it, because it's a Wal-Mart brand Mad Cat)

AFFS: We need to get some Mad Cats!
NAIS: We have Mad Cats back home.
The Mad Cats back home:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Don't hate! The Jihad-era MDG-1Ar refit and the MDG-2A technically made available after the FM updates are both just fine. The lack of CASE on the -2A isn't even that bad because it's an IS XL Engined design anyways

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I recently looked at the Rabid Dog's Alpha Strike card and looks like I'm buying a bunch of them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah the Rakshasa isn't the best 75 ton mech out there, but once they stopped trying to copy the Timber Wolf Prime a whole pile of interesting design space opened up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Putting together a basic all-rounder Kurita lance. Is this a good start or is this TOO specific to Draconis Combine?

Dragon
Panther
Jenner
Hatamoto-Chi

Gonna face that off against a a Ghost Bear lance of a Grizzly and a Kodiak and other dumb bear related stuff.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The performance gap is going to differ depending on the exact variant, but you probably shouldn't be going 1:1 odds with Clan mechs unless your pilots are massively better.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Count Thrashula posted:

Gonna face that off against a a Ghost Bear lance of a Grizzly and a Kodiak and other dumb bear related stuff.

You'll be at a weight and firepower disadvantage with that setup.

A standard Panther, Jenner, Dragon, and Hatamoto-Chi tops out at 4376 BV, assuming you're running the stock variant.

A Kodiak and Grizzly combined hit 5146 BV (assuming their stock variants). If they've got other 'Mechs on top of that, the fight is going to be short and unenjoyable for both of you.

I'd talk to your friend and set a BV limit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My friend is myself :kiddo:

But yeah good point

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

Putting together a basic all-rounder Kurita lance. Is this a good start or is this TOO specific to Draconis Combine?

Dragon
Panther
Jenner
Hatamoto-Chi

I mean....is there any Mech out there more Kuritan than any of those four?

I can think of others (Wolf Trap, No-dachi, Mauler) but none really more culturally linked.

As said, unless you're going to be rocking some Sword of Light badasses against a sibko or something, you might wanna program in other advantages, like existing battle damage on the Clanners.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

4x Dragon lance imo

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

The Shiro

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Basically every Dark Age Kurita mech is iconically Kurita except like the Crickett or some poo poo. Including the Hatamotos, very few of which are "Chi" and are usually Hi or Suna or some other suffix.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

GD_American posted:

Grand Dragon :smug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Dracs suck

Gunslinger GUN-2ERD
Cerberus MR-7K
Naginata NG-C3C
Maelstrom MTR-7K or something idk i hate these guys

Make sure they're all hooked up to the Gunslinger's C3 network.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to complain about the Ghost Bears specifically, who are more egregious munchkin trash than most Clanners.

they have everything and never lose after tukayyid and also they like to say they emphasize speed and power when all their classic totem 'Mechs are morbidly obese heavies and assaults

i have been socialized to have a vendetta against Ben Rome

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 30, 2023

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It's funny because a lot of Ghost Bear "fiat" (Leviathan excepted) seemed to have been

"What do we do with these guys?"
"I dunno, don't have anything solid for them right now."
"Well, we have to get this next plot point out. Leave them alone for now and we'll come back to them later."

And then since all the plot points have broadly been "blow up everyone involved", passing the buck on the Bears has meant that they tend to avoid all the firestorms or only show up at the end and so they've become strong just by virtue of not having been sucked into all the meatgrinders like everyone else.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 30, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Kodiak is fast for a 100 tonner, the Executioner is too fast to be cheap enough to play, and their next most notably used Omni is the Fire Moth. The Karhu jumps 7 in the Prime config and has exactly one config without jump jets or a speed boost. The Rime Otter has a fixed speed boost on it. There's also something called an Arcas that jumps either 5 or 7 in every variant, and another something called a Kuma I've never heard of that is hilariously fast for its size at least as far at the AS card goes.

Their beefy mechs that I know of are the Grizzly (still jumps but isn't fast), the Bruin (same) and the Mastodon.

The Ursus is really slow and has no excuse but I absolutely get the vibe of going faster than average from that collection of mechs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
4/6 is objectively not fast.
4/6[8] is not fast enough and the Executioner never needs to move anyways.

The Fire Moth is excellent but players never field it with the Elementals the way the Bears supposedly do.

Karhu is not classic and neither are any other others you mentioned except the Arcas and Grizzly.

I'll give you the Arcas.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 30, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It is as fast as the tonnage is capable of moving, this is by definition fast for its size. :colbert:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You have got to be able to definitively dictate your own fighting range on initiative win, or fully remove yourself from disadvantaged ranges on initiative loss, surat! Every 10 seconds can mean the difference between life or dishonor!

(yeaahhh when like more than 75% of units in the entire game can move 4/6 or faster that's not a very exciting goalpost to have)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xotl posted:

It's funny because a lot of Ghost Bear "fiat" (Leviathan excepted) seemed to have been

"What do we do with these guys?"
"I dunno, don't have anything solid for them right now."
"Well, we have to get this next plot point out. Leave them alone for now and we'll come back to them later."

And then since all the plot points have broadly been "blow up everyone involved", passing the buck on the Bears has meant that they tend to avoid all the firestorms or only show up at the end and so they've become strong just by virtue of not having been sucked into all the meatgrinders like everyone else.

Honestly having a civil war AND the winning side of that war being the people who want to follow Alaric "Genetic Mistake" Ward is enough of a blow to wipe out decades of "fiat", really.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
hopefully with that and the federated suns finally done with literally taking it in both ends we can be done talking about "fiat" in general

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

hopefully with that and the federated suns finally done with literally taking it in both ends we can be done talking about "fiat" in general

We've got plenty of lovely writing in recent times, it's not as if all the plot developments are logical and rely on people behaving like they have brains that work better than that of a dog.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We never will be. The problem with having essentially the same factions for 40 years of nerds and for like 600+ fictional years means real shakeups to the core status quo risk alienating someone, somewhere. Look how many grogs refuse to acknowledge the Clans still.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

We never will be. The problem with having essentially the same factions for 40 years of nerds and for like 600+ fictional years means real shakeups to the core status quo risk alienating someone, somewhere. Look how many grogs refuse to acknowledge the Clans still.

Weren't the Clans introduced in like the early 90s?? I didn't even realize there was an era of Battletech** that was just the IS forces. How boring.

(**I mean era of it as a game product, I know obviously there are pre-Clan eras in-universe to the game)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah it's nuts. I get that BattleTech got a lot of things right in its first release and there were a lot of products released in the years before the Clans that provided a lot to do with the game.

But over 30 years of just that? I kind of wonder if the loudest grogs even play the game or if they just pretend that they do while getting mad about it on the internet.

I have played dozens and dozens of introductory tech games and I eventually got sick of it and moved on just to have more variety.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I put some of the blame for that on the writers. The Clan Invasion was basically "if you liked the old version of Battletech you're wrong, and that world doesn't have any place going forward." They should have left the Periphery as the "life are cheap, mechs aren't, you only have what you bring with you" area instead of also having it make huge tech leaps.

If the old setting was something you liked, they didn't leave you any other option but to ignore everything they made.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's also an enormous disconnect in modern public consciousness in general but BattleTech in specific gets it really bad, where the concept of "fiat" as in "an author wrote this" and the concept of "fiat" as in "this thing only happened because the author forced it to" get treated as the same thing and they very surely are loving not.

The Ghost Bears just kind of chilling out for 80 years and then bursting into flames is "fiat" in the sense that it is a thing that happened in the fiction as the result of something that was written. We could argue about how likely that was to be the outcome compared to another outcome, but there's nothing inherently wrong with how it happened, and the explanations while a retcon by the strictest technical definition are at least self-consistent with the rest of the BattleTech setting.

Tara Campbell, Republic patriot par excellence, beating Alaric tactically and then deciding to surrender and switch sides because they happened to be fighting on dirt that hasn't meant anything to her people in over a thousand years is the other kind of fiat, where it shouldn't have happened in a million loving years but it did because Pardoe sucks at this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Count Thrashula posted:

Weren't the Clans introduced in like the early 90s?? I didn't even realize there was an era of Battletech** that was just the IS forces. How boring.

There was roughly a five year stretch between the game being first made (Battledroids, 1984) and the Clans being introduced in 1989.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PoptartsNinja posted:

There was roughly a five year stretch between the game being first made (Battledroids, 1984) and the Clans being introduced in 1989.

Yeah, I'm a 3025 grog, but it's silly to pretend like Battletech was some well entrenched thing and then FASA sprung the Clans on players. Nevermind that half the lore from the 80s was heavily foreshadowing "The Return of Kerensky".

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

We've got plenty of lovely writing in recent times, it's not as if all the plot developments are logical and rely on people behaving like they have brains that work better than that of a dog.

Plot points that happen because characters make mistakes or are stupid are great. Plot points that force characters to be stupid are really bad. HOTW was full of the latter. Empire Alone and Tamar Rising was full of the former. Damocles Sanction was somewhere in-between.

Hopefully IlKhan's Eyes Only focuses on Alaric kinda being lost and not knowing what to do on Terra now that he's stuck, and making bad decisions out of an otherwise super-inflated ego.

Unrelated to current fiction, I bought a couple BattleCorp Print anthologies. Looks like there's a TON of Jihad-related stories in them. I heard good things about BattleCorps, that was an era of fiction I completely missed.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 1, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I'm a 3025 grog, but it's silly to pretend like Battletech was some well entrenched thing and then FASA sprung the Clans on players. Nevermind that half the lore from the 80s was heavily foreshadowing "The Return of Kerensky".

I think a lot of it is narrative tension about what Battletech "is" thematically. In the 80's it very much came across as Mad Max Mecha. I remember the original source stuff making a huge deal out of scarcity; even having a hand-me-down bugmech made you essentially nobility. And the few factories left in the bombed-out universe that could still fabricate 'mechs were something between the single most important strategic resource a great house could have and a holy site.

I think for a lot of grogs the Clan stuff was too hard a shift (even a retcon in some ways) into more conventional space opera.

Not saying either one is the "right" lens on the setting; just that it strains between the two tones a bit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Personally I think there was room for both. The universe was already full of haves and have-nots, there was really no reason to think that new technology would benefit everyone, regardless of geography or politics.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There's already a big tabletop game IP where everything awesome was lost, progress is a bitter joke and all we can do is cling to the hand me downs of a past ruined by irrevocable mistakes.

Plus Battletech needs to introduce new mechs and tech to sell products.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Battledroids beat Rogue Trader to the punch by a few years. :colbert:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Used an Urbanmech for the first time. Succession Wars era. Gunnery 2 made it actually a pretty nasty little sniper turret

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was one of those grogs.

I hated how out of wack ClanTech made the game when the 3050 TRO first dropped (soooo many Masakari Primes), and the fiction behind them was pretty terrible at the start. I'll always think the faction names are pretty dumb.

Since then, it's reached the same level of unevenness as other fiction, and they've balanced things well in-game. I'll never like them, but whining about the existence of the Clans today is about the same level as complaining about Metallica cutting their hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

General Battuta posted:

There's already a big tabletop game IP where everything awesome was lost, progress is a bitter joke and all we can do is cling to the hand me downs of a past ruined by irrevocable mistakes.
They advanced the timeline too and people also flipped their poo poo. The scale creep driving it is a little more obvious for humans though