Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've got a trivia question:

I've been tasked with setting up a trivia event for Friday, but my boss is reluctant to pay up for Kahoot. Does anyone know any free alternatives to Kahoot that can support a fairly large number of participants? (maybe 45?)

If you sign up for Kahoot as an educator it’ll go up to I think 50 for free and they don’t check verification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I haven't used them in ages, but you might have a higher user limit with Slides With Friends, Quizlet, Poll Everywhere, Blooket, or Factile. Quizalize is free for teachers for use with up to 3 classes and up to 5 activities, if you have a school email.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you sign up for Kahoot as an educator it’ll go up to I think 50 for free and they don’t check verification.

Oooo, found this thanks to your post. The limit is 40, but that might be plenty. 45 would be if literally everyone showed up. I think we can assume at least 5 won't, at least for now. If it goes well (and/or we have capacity issues) maybe that enthusiasm will convince this guy to spare a few pennies for a proper business license.

Dienes posted:

I haven't used them in ages, but you might have a higher user limit with Slides With Friends, Quizlet, Poll Everywhere, Blooket, or Factile. Quizalize is free for teachers for use with up to 3 classes and up to 5 activities, if you have a school email.

I looked at most of these last night, I think Slides with Friends was the best candidate.

EDIT: The free teacher tier actually came with a free pro trial that will last through my game Friday, so I should be all set to at least get this game done this week. Thanks for the suggestions!

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 14, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What's this dumb rear end controversy I've heard where fans are whining because people are using Buttrey's "Bring it" line without having """"earned it""""?

Wheel of Fortune can be a really obnoxious show. Between the two of them, I prefer Jeopardy because even though it's a game show it at least aspires to be more serious. But drat do some fans take it way too seriously. I highly doubt Buttrey gives a single gently caress that contestants are using the phrase; he's probably thrilled about it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I assume the gatekeepers want the person to be in the TOC or Masters tournaments.

Honestly, it's a bit overused than I would like but they made it to the Trebek stage, they can bring it as much as they want. They haven't banned the Forrest Bounce so they won't ban this.

Now if they mentioned how Sam's friends are now fish chum at the bottom of the Atlantic, that's worthy of a all out rear end whooping.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I have way more of a problem with people trying to be the next James as if he was the first person to ever wager everything. Please continue copying Sam instead of James.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Final CJQFs

Tomorrow: Cynthia Nixon, Cedric the Entertainer, Heather McMahan

12/6: Kyra Sedgwick, Mo Rocca, Amanda Seales

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Joe on today's episode looks a lot like Javier Bardem to me and I couldn't stop making Anton Chigurh jokes while watching. Also Ken remains infinitely more charismatic and comfortable in the hosting role than Mayim

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus Christ, Cynthia Nixon was intolerable on Celebrity Jeopardy tonight.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wasn't watching; what'd she do (or not do)?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watching Monday's game and lol @ the writers making Ken imitate Sylvester the Cat's lisp

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I really feel old when contestants struggle with clues that were considered common knowledge at one time, but arent' now.

I knew tonight's Final was Warren Commission before they even made it halfway through the clue. That said, I don't know how many people left are/were dedicated Kennedy assassination buffs. Dad had about 10 books devoted to it and he was far from the only one.

Once the first person didn't know it, I knew this was officially a clue that contestants are too young to automatically know.

Also, what was up with the dude's wagering?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I mean that's still really common knowledge, but I'd also expect someone aspiring to be a Jeopardy champion to know "1963, group of people whose conclusions were questioned for decades" screams JFK.

My first thought was about Kinsey, but his lab group didn't really have a name. The Kinsey Institute has just been in the news this year as their budget is under assault by people who think Handmaid's Tale should be a documentary.

But then I read it again and the years jumped out at me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I knew JFK right away but couldn't remember the name of the Commission. I guessed the Church Committee, even though I knew that was some 11 years later.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Some of you never went through a phase as teenagers where you believed every bit of Oliver Stone's JFK, and it shows.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've never even seen the movie (yet).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^ It's not bad, especially in acting but Stone's idea of why it happened doesn't hold up ^

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I wasn't watching; what'd she do (or not do)?

She kept not using the question phrasing for starters

Doesn't help when one person openly gives up mid game and another kept talking after being ruled on while saying the correct response in doing so.

It also ended on a triple stumper

They would all get smoked at my bar trivia.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 1, 2023

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never even seen the movie (yet).

The best parody of JFK was an episode of The Critic. I would post what episode or a clip but phone postin'

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Ken seemed genuinely upset that they didn't get Led Zeppelin.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ken seemed genuinely upset that they didn't get Led Zeppelin.

The other week the celebs didn't recognize picture of Garth Brooks.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Nick Soapdish posted:

The best parody of JFK was an episode of The Critic. I would post what episode or a clip but phone postin'

I got you. Back ... And to the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wi-lW2poE4

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I answered Esperanto for the Final as a joke and ended up being right. Kinda makes sense when you think about it, though.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I guessed it before I saw the question and was highly smug when I reasoned that it was actually the most logical answer.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Today's final quarterfinal game

Happy the venture capitalist lost as I figured he'd win with the early successes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"[Members of congress] have a stressful, fast paced job".

:lmao: How many month long vacations have they taken this year alone?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Bialik is OUT

HookShot fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 16, 2023

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

it took until december, but we finally got some good news this year

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Best thing to happen to Jeopardy since Alex died.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

HookShot posted:

Bialik is OUT

:toot:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's a Christmas miracle

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

Bialik is OUT

This honestly just made my day, week, month, and possibly year. Today was a particularly nightmarish day, and this was the first thread I checked after logging off at work.

Jeopardy means so much to me and I've honestly been putting off taking the exam again because I don't think I could have handled finally getting that call and she was standing at the lectern. I'm curious to see Sony's official announcement and if there's a corollary to tack on (I assume it'll just be Ken now, but weirder things have happened).

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is this beacuse everyone knows she sucks or has she been like super pro bombing Palestine?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Earlier this year, knowing that her job was on the line, Mayim chose to walk off the job in support of the WGA strike. Respect to her.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ken is good

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

davecrazy posted:

Is this beacuse everyone knows she sucks or has she been like super pro bombing Palestine?

I'd guess a bit of both. If you look at ratings, Jeopardy's just about back where it was before she walked off, which proves to Sony executives that their delusion that boomers love her is not valid.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pinterest Mom posted:

Earlier this year, knowing that her job was on the line, Mayim chose to walk off the job in support of the WGA strike. Respect to her.

Yeah, that was legitimately one of the best things she did.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I always figured that we'd get a monkey's paw wish where Ken got the job partially because Bialik decided to actually do a solid thing. But also hopefully it's the ratings confirming that she wasn't anything special.

Still happy, just gonna enjoy the W. Although I've only been half watching Jeopardy these last couple of months. These tournaments just aren't grabbing me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like Bye-im Bialik

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ultra crossing my fingers that it all goes to Ken instead of them picking some other rando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This honestly just made my day, week, month, and possibly year. Today was a particularly nightmarish day, and this was the first thread I checked after logging off at work.

Jeopardy means so much to me and I've honestly been putting off taking the exam again because I don't think I could have handled finally getting that call and she was standing at the lectern. I'm curious to see Sony's official announcement and if there's a corollary to tack on (I assume it'll just be Ken now, but weirder things have happened).

I was kicking around the same idea about the test; the implication I get is she might help out with the specials, but I can't imaging her lining up to host Jeopardy Masters unless Ken gets the urge to pick up his signalling device again.