Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

I SO WANT these clips to stream in Times Square and on highway billboards where people can't miss them. Just stream these clips for hours on a loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

healthy and not failing democracies torture children for fun and to spread terror in the community right

One of the fundamental tensions of Israel is that, like Rhodesia and South Africa, they can be a democracy or a state based around an extremely narrow franchise and definition of citizenship, but not really both. To maintain their democracy where only certain people vote, the other community needs to be tortured and terrorized. But how can you be a democracy that prevents a plurality, I think it's fair to say majority, of people from voting?

It's not just limited to self-conception, it's why Israel can't choose the obvious path of a one state solution. They could not maintain an exclusionary definition of citizenship, while incorporating people into the nation, while also not intending for them to vote.

I am curious how liberals twist themselves into knots over this, because "the only democracy in the Middle East" must avoid actually being a democracy at all costs.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

MadSparkle posted:

I SO WANT these clips to stream in Times Square and on highway billboards where people can't miss them. Just stream these clips for hours on a loop

Put 'em on one of those trucks they've used to call out genocide joe.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Israel beat the ever loving poo poo out of that boy. :smith:

https://twitter.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1729855119808778344

https://twitter.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1729968631558119682

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

It'd be nice if she did, but that looked a lot like the sign for "thank you." :3:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Hitler 2 parody account is on fire right now. :allears:

https://twitter.com/netanyahupress/status/1730017533082714523

https://twitter.com/netanyahupress/status/1730021617638543688

https://twitter.com/netanyahupress/status/1730027492080071144

https://twitter.com/netanyahupress/status/1730030402901844079

https://twitter.com/netanyahupress/status/1730036139321389373

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

FlapYoJacks posted:

Israel beat the ever loving poo poo out of that boy. :smith:
The Israeli propaganda says that he was never harmed in captivity because he wasn't wearing a cast in the videos when he was released. Israel apologists won't even consider the possibility that the Israelis broke his bones and simply refused to give him casts afterwards.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Israeli propaganda says that he was never harmed in captivity because he wasn't wearing a cast in the videos when he was released. Israel apologists won't even consider the possibility that the Israelis broke his bones and simply refused to give him casts afterwards.

So, they're saying, he, what? Was hit by a car on the way back from being in Israeli prison?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

So, they're saying, he, what? Was hit by a car on the way back from being in Israeli prison?

The only thing the IDF does is lie once and then repeat the same lie over and over again. They don’t need nor want to explain why he is in casts now.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

eggs predate chickens by hundreds of millions of years

My balls something or other blah blah.

Yes, you're right. Happy?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The current belief is that the x-rays are from another person, despite having the same ID. They point to the likely default 01/01/2004 DoB

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

For a second I didn't see the part about it being a parody and was wondering why the hell I liked this Netanyahu better

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Frosted Flake posted:

One of the fundamental tensions of Israel is that, like Rhodesia and South Africa, they can be a democracy or a state based around an extremely narrow franchise and definition of citizenship, but not really both. To maintain their democracy where only certain people vote, the other community needs to be tortured and terrorized. But how can you be a democracy that prevents a plurality, I think it's fair to say majority, of people from voting?

It's not just limited to self-conception, it's why Israel can't choose the obvious path of a one state solution. They could not maintain an exclusionary definition of citizenship, while incorporating people into the nation, while also not intending for them to vote.

I am curious how liberals twist themselves into knots over this, because "the only democracy in the Middle East" must avoid actually being a democracy at all costs.

The answer is racism or extreme classism. It’s how every other modern democracy did it. If those people who are disenfranchised aren’t people, then by definition all people are enfranchised. Because if they were people they would have been enfranchised.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

FYI Israel is intending to begin attacks once again in about a half hour. The plan to extend the truce was derailed because Israel didn't like the list of hostages Hamas offered.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think you'd see a hostage held by Israel -- er, sorry, someone "held in administrative detention" -- shake the hand of their captor or express any affection toward them. The hostages would not do so, and the occupiers would not allow it.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Mushika posted:

My balls something or other blah blah.

Yes, you're right. Happy?

Mushika, are you trying to find the sweet spot balance in posting or are you just frustrated? Or is it a little of both

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

1stGear posted:

I'm being told that in his final moments, the scales fell from Kissinger's eyes and he realized the magnitude of his sins. He recited the shahada with his last breath and will be allowed in Allah's presence once he has personally apologized to every person his actions killed. He is expected in heaven some time around 2379

Does Islam have a concept like Purgatory where you can hope someone will eventually be saved but also vindictively wish divine punishment on them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

FYI Israel is intending to begin attacks once again in about a half hour. The plan to extend the truce was derailed because Israel didn't like the list of hostages Hamas offered.

All those Palestinians who moved back to North Gaza are going to end up dead in a few hours. DTI. DTA. :smith:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

30.5 Days posted:

disgusting

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

majour333 posted:

Please shut the gently caress up with this corny poo poo or let us put you on ignore

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

nvm

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Puppy Burner posted:

Terrorism is a useful word to describe things like carpet bombing civilians, arresting and torturing infants, poisoning wells, assaulting hospitals, drone strikes, no-knock raids, etc

Owlbear Camus posted:

terrorism is warfare conducted by the poor

warfare is terrorism conducted by the rich

the last month has been really instructive in reinforcing just how arbitrary the distinction is.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

galagazombie posted:

The answer is racism or extreme classism. It’s how every other modern democracy did it. If those people who are disenfranchised aren’t people, then by definition all people are enfranchised. Because if they were people they would have been enfranchised.

There are plenty of modern democracies that have not done that you western exceptionalist. Like Iraq or China.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The only thing the IDF does is lie once and then repeat the same lie over and over again. They don’t need nor want to explain why he is in casts now.

Nonsense. Sometimes they make a series of mutually contradictory obviously transparent lies.

Who is this guy? Just wondering why their releasing an adult man, who I'm guessing is not a Thai citizen.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Critical support to Calibanibal and their cornball jokes

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Weka posted:

There are plenty of modern democracies that have not done that you western exceptionalist. Like Iraq or China.

Nonsense. Sometimes they make a series of mutually contradictory obviously transparent lies.

Who is this guy? Just wondering why their releasing an adult man, who I'm guessing is not a Thai citizen.

He's 18 and is the brother of the crutches girl

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

Does Islam have a concept like Purgatory where you can hope someone will eventually be saved but also vindictively wish divine punishment on them

Well, there is one story, that circulated among both Muslims and Christians in Spain...

Seems a little too on the nose, though.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

MadSparkle posted:

Mushika, are you trying to find the sweet spot balance in posting or are you just frustrated? Or is it a little of both

I'm mostly pissed off about world events, but ask the paleobiologist over there about eggs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
israel backs down like a loving dog a loving beated defeated worm infested dog not even a good dog eother one of those hosed up dogs thats too inbred to live at the very last monent of the truce they yelped and blinked.

======

Israeli military spokesman: Due to the efforts of the mediators to continue releasing the kidnapped persons, the temporary humanitarian truce will continue

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1730086416019771667?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Al-Saqr posted:

israel backs down like a loving dog a loving beated defeated worm infested dog not even a good dog eother one of those hosed up dogs thats too inbred to live at the very last monent of the truce they yelped and blinked.

======

Some sort of hyena vulture hybrid

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

PT6A posted:

I don't think you'd see a hostage held by Israel -- er, sorry, someone "held in administrative detention" -- shake the hand of their captor or express any affection toward them. The hostages would not do so, and the occupiers would not allow it.

You see they can't because their arms are broken!

Ha...haaaa....:smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1728674939673231539

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Weka posted:

You are correct that usually should be removed, I was running out the door and didn't have time to clarify that in my head. However your second sentence is incorrect, because it ignores the fear aspect. Learn to read you NINCOMPOOP!

I figured you didn’t mean to include usually - but the reason I didn’t include fear in the second sentence was because it seemed redundant. I assumed the fear is the fear of violence but maybe there is some other aspect I’m not considering. maybe the fear of instability - eg one cannot be a passive beneficiary of the empire anymore?

anyway I don’t disagree with your main point, but I’m just not convinced terrorism can be defined narrowly enough to make it inherently different than any other revolutionary action. maybe “terrorism” is revolutionary action taken by an outsider?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This photo shows the hostages are far more unhappy to be back in Israel than with Hamas. Perhaps it’s because Israel spent the last two months attempting to bomb them?
https://twitter.com/avivaklompas/status/1730003253692154313

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

======

Israeli military spokesman: Due to the efforts of the mediators to continue releasing the kidnapped persons, the temporary humanitarian truce will continue

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1730086416019771667?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/idfonline/status/1730085000538698081?s=19
Literally tweeting it FIFTEEN MINUTES before the truce was supposed to end. They were sweating the decision but loving kneeled. Israel is finished.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

This photo shows the hostages are far more unhappy to be back in Israel than with Hamas. Perhaps it’s because Israel spent the last two months attempting to bomb them?
https://twitter.com/avivaklompas/status/1730003253692154313

lol someone should make a before and after pic in reverse to show israelis how much happier theyd be if hey surrendered to palestine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I mean, we're never going to be told the extent of what they saw, as far as Apache helicopters firing on people running away, tanks shooting their houses, but I would imagine finding out about the Hannibal Directive makes that experience a lot more unsettling than believing they were tragic accidents and the helicopter gunships just didn't see you waving your arms or whatever.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

https://twitter.com/idfonline/status/1730085000538698081?s=19
Literally tweeting it FIFTEEN MINUTES before the truce was supposed to end. They were sweating the decision but loving kneeled. Israel is finished.

theyre loving done, once palestine is freed from the river to the sea im inviting you over to my house for videogames and warhammer to celebrate

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sancho Banana posted:

Lol that the conflict the world's eyes are on consists of a game of chicken where Netanyahu desperately tries to get Hamas to restart the war for him

"Do it, please, RPG a group of soldiers, I'm begging you, 15 minutes before we shootcha, better stop us"

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

theyre loving done, once palestine is freed from the river to the sea im inviting you over to my house for videogames and warhammer to celebrate

I'm gonna have to learn warhammer first but I appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I’ve never listened to the Trillbilly podcast before but they expressed better a concept I’ve grappled with. They said they also feel reluctance to ascribe economics or realpolitik motives to what Israel and the USA have done here. It would be actually comforting to think Israel is just wanting access to natural gas through Gaza or the US only backs Israel because of the military benefits in the region or convoluted oil reasons. If that was the case then less horrible alternatives could be found.

Instead I think both are guided by ideology before all else and any practical effects are just used to bolster the case for the policies they already wanted to pursue. Racist and imperial notions are not a by product, but the point. You can’t tweak them into being something better because the whole project is rotten to the core by aim not by accident.

There’s a reason apologia for Nazis or the Confederacy often start by minimizing their ideology and focusing on the economic. It makes them more relatable and a convoluted logic chain can be constructed so that their crimes were potentially inevitable and therefore partially blameless. Sometimes being a shithead was the actual point and not an expression of something else.