Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shinjobi posted:

The shittiest old white dudes on the radio will be dead soon, it'll be okay.

But you can't say that for the rest of the state!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

Ohtani, please. Come to the Rangers. The shittiest old white dudes on the radio will be dead soon, it'll be okay.

Eric Nadel is a treasure even if he had incredibly dumb opinions on Darvish.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Artix posted:

If Cease is actually available and Mike Elias isn't on the phone like, yesterday, I am going to be very upset.

I’m sure he is, just like he was at the trade deadline. It probably halted just as quickly this time if the Sox’s asking price still begins at Holliday.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mdemone posted:

This loving franchise deserves the Curse of the Second Bambino

It’s called the Tungsten Arm Curse and it was inevitable the second that tweet was published

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That is not a joke post at all. I truly believe that the Tungsten Arm Curse should and will be regarded at the same levels as Bambino and Billy Goat within 30 years

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

That is not a joke post at all. I truly believe that the Tungsten Arm Curse will be regarded at the same levels as Bambino and Billy Goat within 30 years

In 30 years when Ohtani has won his 31st consecutive MVP

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eric the Mauve posted:

No team has used anyone in that role in 10+ years

I seem to recall the Cubs using Mike Montgomery in that role pretty extensively.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bandire posted:

Eric Nadel is a treasure even if he had incredibly dumb opinions on Darvish.

He wasn't the only one. Whether or not Darvish was going to leave anyway, the number of morons lining up to show him the door was embarrassing and I honestly fear the way it ended could salt the earth around here for any other potential Japanese player.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it bugged me then and it still bugs me now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I seem to recall the Cubs using Mike Montgomery in that role pretty extensively.

It's a hard position to fill these days for a number of reasons. You've got to keep a guy stretched out who's only going to be deployed in the specific nexus of circumstances where the SP was knocked out early and the score remains not close enough that you wouldn't want to pull the bulk guy for a more elite reliever. So it's basically a mop up guy who occasionally ends up bridging a comeback. Also this person is taking up a bullpen spot you could instead be giving to one of the 9854609723403 guys in your farm with a plus slider and mid-to-upper 90's FB.

Like yeah having a bulk guy who can eat innings in your pen does have value, but bullpens in general are trending towards being so stupidly elite that it's a legit opportunity cost to carry a longman over a one inning guy with much better stuff.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Poque posted:

That is not a joke post at all. I truly believe that the Tungsten Arm Curse should and will be regarded at the same levels as Bambino and Billy Goat within 30 years

The Angels have been trying to soften the blow by making advance payments on this curse since 2012.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

part of the reason the cubs did that with Montgomery was that he made it clear he didn't want to stay anywhere he couldn't start, so they kept him stretched out/6th man/first up when an injury hits for a while but he never really had it. the cubs figured if they got good enough, they could just make one-off small deals and be smart about it and create value out of quintana/montgomery/tyler chatwood/brian anderson and that that would keep them running. it was hard to believe that the 2016 team was a weird fluke because all those young guys were so good! but none of them kept it going after like, 2018 (except Schwarber, but that was looking pretty bad at the time). i think they thought they could turn Monty into the lefty Kyle Hendricks, and it just didn't happen

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
https://x.com/RichardStaff/status/1730042223478071338?s=20

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
:drat:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jon Heyman is saying that the Brewers are close to extending top prospect Jackson Chourio for 8 years, $80 million with two club options

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Stove is cold but hell is hot
https://x.com/Yankees/status/1730234838693614070?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
it’s funny if unsurprising that the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry functioned for a while as a bonding zone for the absolute bloodthirstiest imperialists https://www.espn.com/columns/mlb/story/_/id/10766849/yankees-fan-henry-kissinger-red-sox-fan-samantha-power-talk-baseball-diplomacy

elentar fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 30, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Evil Empire indeed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gently caress you randy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hilarious that the Yankees thought they needed to release a Kissinger statement

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

:bighow:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

it's worse than that. they wanted to.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
incredibly on brand move by The Yankees

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jon Heyman is saying that the Brewers are close to extending top prospect Jackson Chourio for 8 years, $80 million with two club options

The history of these pre-debut extensions is not good but Chourio is also the highest-caliber prospect to sign one, so maybe it’ll work out

It’s tough to imagine them leveraging those savings in any meaningful way if they dump Burnes and Woodruff before he ever takes an AB though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

incredibly on brand move by The Yankees

as opposed to all the other MLB owners that have great politics lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

all owners are terrible sure but not all are posthumously glazing up infamous war criminal Henry Kissinger

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

all owners are terrible sure but not all are posthumously glazing up infamous war criminal Henry Kissinger

your lovely team has been glazing up war criminals for years!!!!!!!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I said Maldy was a WAR criminal that wasn't what I meant

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Can't believe the team with the fans who have been calling players slurs for years is venerating the genocidal war criminal and nobody is pointing out other teams exist drat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Sorry buddy, this one is a unique Yankees self-own

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
(quickly checking to make sure my team hasn't posted or liked anything pro-Kissinger) lol Yankees

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

i think he had a box at the stadium. he was there all the time lol.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Who cares, where are the deals

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zoux posted:

When I said Maldy was a WAR criminal that wasn't what I meant

:golfclap:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Randy Levine is inconsolable, his hair becoming more and more the consistency of ramen with each passing second.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

From one 100+ year old evil entity to another

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

bravesword posted:

The history of these pre-debut extensions is not good but Chourio is also the highest-caliber prospect to sign one, so maybe it’ll work out

It’s tough to imagine them leveraging those savings in any meaningful way if they dump Burnes and Woodruff before he ever takes an AB though

Woodruff was already dumped because of a shoulder injury. I think it’s basically expected that Burnes will be traded this offseason unless no one ponies up, but given how much buzz is around teams trying to obtain frontline starters I would be surprised if the Brewers get lowballed. Brewers system is loaded so would expect this to be a plucky get guys experience year and then will use up freed salary to obtain guys in trades probably next year.

Also what makes me feel better about Chourio is that he is an outfielder. Even if he ends up not hitting a lick, having a no hit fourth outfielder who is strong defensively at 10 mil a year isn’t crippling at all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the Brewers really want to dump Burnes they should be taking the Rays Glasnow route of asking for young, cheap, MLB ready guys in return for an ace rental. The SP market is nuts right now with garbage bulk innings guys sitting in the 5's ERA-wise getting seven figure deals, so even one year of a bonafide ace should be able to bring back immediate impact pieces.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I didn't have the "Yankees Organization wax poetic about a dead war criminal" on my off-season bingo card.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/marisakabas2/status/1730255298827333725?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1730297312935641269

further lols at the catcher depth chart