Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't even know why cobweb gets the "for kids" label. It was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Open Source Idiom posted:

I went to a screening of Talk To Me that was mostly a bunch of heckling from dickheads, and one dude who was scrolling IKEA's online catalogue on his very bright iPhone.

Maybe he thought he could buy one of them hands

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't even know why cobweb gets the "for kids" label. It was okay.

It’s told from a kids point of view, very much like the Tobe Hooper Invaders From Mars remake.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

very much like the Tobe Hooper Invaders From Mars remake.
How is that incidentally? Been meaning to see it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

dorium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fno5aFcJQF0
yep the dude just rocks at giving that quiet storm energy, but can hold it the entire time without really letting it explode (but then lets the full energy pop later in a season of television like Banshee where you're just waiting for him to go full beast mode).

If he weren't already tied to one super hero franchise he would've easily been a pick for Wolverine years ago. He's a smol guy.

A Australian Wolverine? It'll never fly!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The lead in Final Destination 2 is heinous. This is anti-acting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but the movie is fun so whatever

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's a blast. Awful lighting though. The first one looked better.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just an FYI, we don't need to worry about what the best horror movie of 2023 is, because it's GODZILLA -1. :krakken:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Seeing it Saturday in IMAX. Very excited.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dorium posted:

Seeing it Saturday in IMAX. Very excited.

I'm going Sunday. Going from how many tonight were at the early screening and coming out smiling, it's looking good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How is that incidentally? Been meaning to see it.

I like it a lot but I saw it first as a kid so it's stuck with me. Not as nightmare-like as the original but still has a certain child's fantasy quality, the aliens are neat, and of course it's a Tobe Hooper film so it looks gorgeous.

Also has a really cool opening theme and "names flying through space" credits sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-hjignYoo

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 30, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Suitable Flesh a lot of fun a lot of gore a lot of Barbara Crampton its got all the good stuff

Hope all is well with you my friend.

Barbara Crampton is in Suitable Flesh? I somehow missed that, now I really need to see it!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/bdisgusting/status/1730230751642206487?s=46

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A new Tim Burton movie? Sweet!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tim Burton hasn't made anything worth a poo poo in at least twenty years so forgive me for thinking even Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder won't be able to make this watchable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'll watch MILF-y Winona in anything, even that bad Netflix show.

ruddiger posted:

It’s told from a kids point of view, very much like the Tobe Hooper Invaders From Mars remake.

Yeah, like ANTLERS. I thought COBWEB was okay, but the real star was Lizzy Caplan. She really needs something she can chew on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tim Burton hasn't made anything worth a poo poo in at least twenty years so forgive me for thinking even Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder won't be able to make this watchable.
Dumbo was... interesting, at least.

Burton does the same thing Shyamalan and Sandler do, where they just pump out poo poo for a decade, then make one jaw-dropping masterpiece and you're like, "motherfucker, you knew how to make good art this whole time??!" and then they go make Glass and Murder Mystery 2. Burton's just gone longer without the 'reminder that when he cares, he's untouchable.'

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The advent of CG and greenscreen killed Burton's aesthetic. Everything from about 2005 on is infected with terminal greenscreen syndrome, outside of the stop-motion stuff. I admit I haven't seen Dark Shadows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Opopanax posted:

A Australian Wolverine? It'll never fly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd5BBn6hCv4

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I'm more worried about how a movie can hope to capture the energy of the original Beetlejuice actor, Alex Brightman. We'll see if this "Keaton" guy knows his way around the character I guess.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen a new Tim Burton movie since his godawful take on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I did somewhat recently rewatch Beetlejuice for the first time in years and years, so I might have mild interest in the sequel, but I'm not holding my breath.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I think the last Burton movie I've seen was Sleepy Hollow. I know it's considered to be from when he wasn't the worst but it's still not particularly good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The classic spooky atmosphere is just so strong in Sleepy Hollow that I'm willing to overlook any flaws. It's no masterpiece though, agreed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The moment studios decided to give him any amount of money for anything he wanted to make was the moment he stopped being a good filmmaker. He's the most perfect example of budgetary limits contributing to a better outcome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crescent Wrench posted:

I haven't seen a new Tim Burton movie since his godawful take on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I did somewhat recently rewatch Beetlejuice for the first time in years and years, so I might have mild interest in the sequel, but I'm not holding my breath.

I know it's not great but goddam the new Charlie had catchy songs.

The new movie being 20 years old at this point.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

The advent of CG and greenscreen killed Burton's aesthetic. Everything from about 2005 on is infected with terminal greenscreen syndrome, outside of the stop-motion stuff. I admit I haven't seen Dark Shadows.

https://x.com/variety/status/1730236333828760044?s=46
It sounds at least he’s going back down to an aesthetic that works for him at least. If he’s being genuine about getting back to the basics of filmmaking then that’s only a net positive. His work works best within the spectrum of the analog and maybe he recognizes that now especially going back to his roots as it were with his old cast and a lot of pressure to bridge that huge time gap.

We’ll see.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Medullah posted:

I know it's not great but goddam the new Charlie had catchy songs.

The new movie being 20 years old at this point.

The actual new movie stars Paul Atreides and is seemingly also a stealth origin story for Gonzo's Charles Dickens.

edit

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

High school me loved Burton's Charlie & The Chocolate Factory because it was, until the bizarre ending, much closer to the book, and I loved the book.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

The actual new movie stars Paul Atreides and is seemingly also a stealth origin story for Gonzo's Charles Dickens.

edit

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I thought the head tree in Sleepy Hollow was insanely bad rear end as a kid

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

I thought the head tree in Sleepy Hollow was insanely bad rear end as a kid

and you were right!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Sleepy Hollow has dope aesthetics. Didn't like HH being a pawn though.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sleepy Hollow may be the best collection of British character actors getting beheaded ever put to film

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kazzah posted:

Maybe he thought he could buy one of them hands

You can

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Sleepy Hollow isn't a strictly great movie, but it's a very vibes movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'll go ahead and go to bat for Sleepy Hollow being a legitimately great movie, Burton's last great movie, no one ever did a better job paying tribute to Hammer and as others have said, all time production design and an extremely sick cast, great death scenes, 10/10

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's pretty great that Burton got Christopher Lee for that little cameo in his Hammer homage.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m a little bit of an apologist for Big Eyes. It’s kind of a rainy sunday afternoon snoozer but at least it wasn’t an ugly cg mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dark Shadows is fascinating because the movie looks like you gave some random workaday director like a Peter Berg type $150m and said "make the most Tim Burton-rear end-movie you can" and they tried but, not being Tim Burton, sucked poo poo at every aspect of the movie. But then you find out it actually was Tim Burton.