Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MajorBonnet posted:

My 2 cents would be that the phantasmal sharpshooter should be a phantasmal firing line with at least 2 phantasms for the cool factor and the 3 skill shouldn't make you choose between boons and healing.

for a traditional stacking boon heal chrono specifically the tradeoff won't be a huge deal, they can cap might effortlessly in one CS rotation for a pretty long duration, well of action and tides of time might are both 30s with 100% duration, if you press well of action again after CS resolves you have 24 stacks for ~30s, get close to the fury duration cap, plus you have all the might you'll be giving constantly with bountiful disillusionment F1, and you have tides of time ready to go when you want to refresh some of those stacks for 30s again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Warrior Staff looks amazing for PvP/WvW

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Wuxi posted:

Warrior Staff looks amazing for PvP/WvW

Sadly they had to go and slap the ally targetting bullshit on it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Why do elementalists fire arrows out of their pistols?

probably work in progress? there's also a bunch of placeholder icons left, too

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
My honest but terribly harsh opinion is that the weapons, save for Guardian pistols (lol) feel terribly undercooked. Like I tried swords Necro on a power build but then I just realized that whatever I was doing could be done better with Greatsword still. Cool to have a ranged weapon I guess?

Engi shortbow is utter trash, though. Like genuinely horrible.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Necro swords feel great imo. Having a real mobility skill outside of Shroud is a game changer for me. Needs a bit more setup than just pressing 2 on Axe to burst someone though

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Gotta do something else for the evening, but I llike Necro swords and love Warrior staff. Not the biggest fan of Thief axe, gotta test it more though

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I couldn't figure out thief axe. Why not just use a scepter?

Engi shortbow is unfun and the chain reaction system confuses and infuriates me.

Guardian pistol is thematically cool, as is necro swords, but necro swords feels like it's missing something. Skills don't feel very impactful.

Ranger mace is whatever. Probably fine for healers? The big boi buff mechanic is a little off-putting at first because it just happens, there's not really any way to control it and with a 12 or 25 second cool down where you can't gain natures fury stacks, it doesn't feel impactful for the two seconds you get it and you can't really time it out in a meaningful way.

Ele pistol would probably cool if I could figure out how to play ele. It feels a lot like a pvp weapon in my limited experience.

Warrior staff is still underwhelming unfortunately.

Bring back land spears you cowards!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The problem I had with necro swords is that the effects currently are like very lacking (which is very normal!!! I am not complaining about this!!) so it feels loving impossible to get good feedback on when your stuff should be reused. Especially since the only thing is like, icons changing, but the icon is in the exact same shape as the other one, just a different color, which kinda makes it hard to gauge unless you are staring at the UI (which if you are will make you eat poo poo in combat).

Also mesmer rifle feels like it should be a condi weapon

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Engine SB skills would be a lot better if they pulsed effects before detonating.

The chain is not worth the setup.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Yeah the placeholder icons especially shouldnt be there. Staff burst has the same icon as Hammer burst and it confused me to no end.

I'm not too worried about numbers though. Numbers are easy to change/buff, but the general feel of the weapon will stay

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Necro question for those playing while I'm at work: does Blood Bank (gm in Blood Magic) fire on the sword auto, and then does that fire Blighters Boon (gm in Reaper)? How is the life force gain with that, if it works like I think it should?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ele pistol's damage seems fine, but most of the attacks lack oomph. And my god, does it feel sluggish.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guard Pistol is great, Necro swords are good, warrior staff is gonna make me play the class again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

im very sad that engi loses hard here

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

When this finally arrives my berserker will finally get to use my favourite melee staff skin that I own.

Are there other cool melee staff skins I should try & get?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao at anet selling Hero Points for gems

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Tambaloneus posted:

When this finally arrives my berserker will finally get to use my favourite melee staff skin that I own.

Are there other cool melee staff skins I should try & get?

lightwarden battlestaff and samarogs spire

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Saraiguma posted:

lightwarden battlestaff and samarogs spire

Ooh cheers :D I wonder if they'll make some new skins avail once the weapon thing hits fully that match the new uses of them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

Necro question for those playing while I'm at work: does Blood Bank (gm in Blood Magic) fire on the sword auto, and then does that fire Blighters Boon (gm in Reaper)? How is the life force gain with that, if it works like I think it should?

Trip report: no, barrier isn’t a boon, duh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

whydirt posted:

lmao at anet selling Hero Points for gems

drat that's gross lol

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Berserk mode changes feels so good now, quickzerk just gets 100% uptime with no gear needed, staff rules

Finally a good time to be a warrior

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Thief axe is crazy lol. I slapped together an Open World Deadeye build that's insanely fun and puts out crazy amounts of damage with tons of sustain.

It's still a work in progress but look at this poo poo, Champion Avatar of Balthazar facetanked in under a minute. Keep in mind this insane (AoE!) damage is done in the base Celestial exotics with Dolyak Runes I forgot to change out lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCUMZf0phTI

It plays pretty easy too. Basic loop: Deadeye's Mark - Axe 2 until Malice is full - Stolen skill (Stealth) - Stealth Attack - Axe 3 - Axe 2 (x2) - Dagger 5 (Stealth) - Stealth Attack - rinse and repeat from Axe 3. Refresh Deadeye's Mark and weave in a Stolen skill for Stealth as desired. Basilisk Venom and Shadow Gust are included mainly to help with CC, Skale Venom is used since you'll be getting Spider Venom from your frequent Stealth spam. You can probably use whatever Utility skills you want though, the Axe does the heavy lifting!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
From what i understand the new weapons are not fully designed/finished yet? The general philosophy and playstyle is there but the numbers will be tweaked?

So as a player that don’t understand how to create a build at all, but are looking for a new prof/weap to play, shouldn’t necessarily jump on one of the new weapons right now but wait for the designs to be finished?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

From what i understand the new weapons are not fully designed/finished yet? The general philosophy and playstyle is there but the numbers will be tweaked?

So as a player that don’t understand how to create a build at all, but are looking for a new prof/weap to play, shouldn’t necessarily jump on one of the new weapons right now but wait for the designs to be finished?

it's worth learning the spec sub-roles that will use the weapons if you like them but you definitely want to build assuming you won't have them for now, iirc these weapons don't drop for real until 2024, possibly even february

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Right, numbers will be adjusted (thief axe doing 57k dps, for example, will not survive). Getting a feel for how the weapons work and how they can interact with other weapons/traits/skills is the fun part of the beta, but there's always a possibility of a complete rework or dropping a mechanic if something just isn't working as intended.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

it's worth learning the spec sub-roles that will use the weapons if you like them but you definitely want to build assuming you won't have them for now, iirc these weapons don't drop for real until 2024, possibly even february

I don't think they've given a solid date, but the roadmap says the new weapons will be released in the 2nd update, which will be February assuming they stick to the schedule. Which they have so far.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
For those who don’t have a full set of legendary gear, how are you gearing your beta characters? I used the WvW stat selectable item boxes to get exotic Viper gear. That seemed cheap and easy. I don’t want to put anything too valuable (like ascended loot) on a beta character just in case Anet messes with the time period of the beta. Don’t want to login and have a bunch of ascended trinkets and weapons vanish.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Unless it's different from previous betas, your beta characters are on a completely separate snapshot of your account. Nothing you do on them carries over and you can't carry anything you get on them out.
Each beta character should have some boxes of stat selectable gear already but if you wanted something in particular like specific runes or relics or whatever, you needed to have already prepped those in your bank before patch day when the snapshot was taken.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

ptroll posted:

Unless it's different from previous betas, your beta characters are on a completely separate snapshot of your account. Nothing you do on them carries over and you can't carry anything you get on them out.
Each beta character should have some boxes of stat selectable gear already but if you wanted something in particular like specific runes or relics or whatever, you needed to have already prepped those in your bank before patch day when the snapshot was taken.

Thanks, damnit, now I see the stat selectable items, I thought they just came with crappy exotic base starting stats (ie. Carrion Draconic Coat of the Undead). No big deal, the WvW stuff was super cheap and not a huge investment. This still helps a ton for other beta characters I'll create.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Jedah posted:

Thanks, damnit, now I see the stat selectable items, I thought they just came with crappy exotic base starting stats (ie. Carrion Draconic Coat of the Undead). No big deal, the WvW stuff was super cheap and not a huge investment. This still helps a ton for other beta characters I'll create.

The upside of "nothing you do on them carries over" means I'm pretty sure you could gamble all your money on ectos on a beta character and it won't affect your real account. So if you bought the wvw stuff on a beta character you still have those resources.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ptroll posted:

The upside of "nothing you do on them carries over" means I'm pretty sure you could gamble all your money on ectos on a beta character and it won't affect your real account. So if you bought the wvw stuff on a beta character you still have those resources.

There was a reddit post claiming someone had opened a black lion chest and gotten a permanent bank contract on a beta character.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

ptroll posted:

Nice, thanks, this is all good to know. Pistol Firebrand is cool so far, this fulfilled such a need for the DPS/Quick DPS spec. It's so weird how the same folks who came up with Pistol Guardian also created the Engineer's shortbow, which is undercooked.

First impressions for Firebrand: Mainhand Axe/Off-hand Torch still seems to feel stronger overall. Then again, I don't know the pistol rotation (does anybody?), and Axe/Torch has always been buttery smooth. It'd be tough to replace Torch 4.

But if you can't be in melee range, pistol still rocks. I'm guessing Pistol skill 5 (charged attack) will have better tool tips/some kinda indicator about how charged up it gets in the final release.

Scepter had that awful sound effect and needed to go. Pistol (or Dual Pistols) with Axe/Torch is nice.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 29, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MajorBonnet posted:

There was a reddit post claiming someone had opened a black lion chest and gotten a permanent bank contract on a beta character.

Heh there's always a bit of salt spilled during beta events when something insanely rare and valuable drops and is unceremoniously deleted days later.

It's part of the reason i haven't done beta things since the gw2 preview weekend. I still miss the branded zombie event from 2012, if i got a chak infusion or some poo poo I'd have to become a drug addicted hermit :rip:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I have all profs at 80 with most elite specs unlocked. (did HoT map completion on all of them, more or less)
The only prof i have played any significant story with after HoT is my engineer.
I am thinking of finding something new to play, and logged on to my ranger to just run around a bit, test the playstyle some, maybe grab some new pets.

Everything after HoT is locked off. I guess i knew map progress was not shared but didn't realise it was to this degree. I don't really want to play the story chapters to unlock each map if i don't need to. Is there any way to get into all the locked maps without too much effort? Join groups in LFG and teleport friend?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I was more wondering how much stock to put into the playstyle and performance of the various builds popping up right now, seeing as the weapons are beta? I am looking for something new to play (exclusively an OW player) and when e.g. theres a thief build with the new weapon that solos Balthazar without breaking a sweat it is easy to be tempted to jump on and play that. Im assuming numbers will be changed by the time the new weapons go live, but what about playstyles? (Speaking from how previous betas have been)

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I have all profs at 80 with most elite specs unlocked. (did HoT map completion on all of them, more or less)
The only prof i have played any significant story with after HoT is my engineer.
I am thinking of finding something new to play, and logged on to my ranger to just run around a bit, test the playstyle some, maybe grab some new pets.

Everything after HoT is locked off. I guess i knew map progress was not shared but didn't realise it was to this degree. I don't really want to play the story chapters to unlock each map if i don't need to. Is there any way to get into all the locked maps without too much effort? Join groups in LFG and teleport friend?

I was more wondering how much stock to put into the playstyle and performance of the various builds popping up right now, seeing as the weapons are beta? I am looking for something new to play (exclusively an OW player) and when e.g. theres a thief build with the new weapon that solos Balthazar without breaking a sweat it is easy to be tempted to jump on and play that. Im assuming numbers will be changed by the time the new weapons go live, but what about playstyles? (Speaking from how previous betas have been)

You can just ask in LE chat for ports to expansion/lw maps. Many people will do it for free, so don't pay for that (unless you want to share the wealth?).

As for new profs, some stuff will definitely be tweaked. Thief axe will definitely be pulled down - seen some crazy DPS estimates. Warrior heal staff seems pretty viable though. I'd recommend Revenant or Necro at the moment, as having 3 solid elites each.

Oh, forgot about the scrolls you can buy for living world maps/arborstone/wizard's tower. Grab those when you can to share between characters.

DoNotFeedTheBear fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 30, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

the key to porting your alts around conveniently without having to bother with teleport to friends and stuff is teleport scrolls and the books you can put them in for convenience. for lw3, lw4, and IBS you can get them from vendors on each map through the season currency. for PoF maps IIRC by starting the story on one character the same airship you board to start the first story instance can take your alts there, no scrolls necessary. for EoD you get a portal scroll to arborstone for free when you reach it in the story. for SoTO you can complete an optional collection after you complete Act 3 that gives you a scroll for the wizards tower.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You can also use guildhalls to fast travel, depending on the hall. For example you can walk out of the GOON GH and into a PoF zone.

Some people swear by the world boss or HoT boss teleport items for alts.

Once you get the sunspear hideout griffon quest teleport item you can use that to pop over and run around from there.

Living world seasons have associated page/tome teleport items, as does arborstone and the wizards tower.

There's also tp to friend and recharging tp to friend items.

I think starting the PoF quest pretty quickly throws you on an airship and sails you over.

You can also teleport to the home cities from lions arch asura gates and run around from there for tyrian maps.

I'm sure I'm missing some other ways, but hope this helps

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
For PoF, also, join the GOON guild if you haven't and the guild hall is a free port to Vabbi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Many thanks, that is a lot more options than i had in my mind.
I have been ignoring the various teleport scrolls and other teleport items as i normally am not an alt player and really enjoyed engineer, but 8 years of that is starting to feel sufficient.
I am in both SFD and GOON and have multiple stacks of most map currencies to buy scrolls so it sounds like i have lots of options.