Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BonHair posted:

To be fair, being older and especially having a beard is considered Not Acceptable by babies also.

my six-month-old can't friggin stop grabbing my beard, he loves it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my six year old hates my beard and refuses to get near it.

hell I get it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
No beard, so 7mo just grabs fistfuls of chest hair instead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

any and all hair is fair game to the moist, grabby hand of an infant

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
All's hair in...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

my six-month-old can't friggin stop grabbing my beard, he loves it

Dad is allowed a beard, strange men such as granddads and uncles are not. The baby actually did not appreciate me shaving after the paternity leave ended.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I have the day off. Kids slept until 07.45. Wonder what horrors karma has in store for me

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Went to the natural history museum on the weekend and am looking forward to the day when such a visit doesn't result in multiple rounds of stern reprimands and tantrums. That appears to still be at least 5+ years off. To be fair there was a neat interactive exhibit where a projector system animated trails of bubbles/plankton on the floor as you move around a room which is made to look like you're underwater in a virtual ocean. This resulted in all the children running around as fast as possible in the darkened room staring at the floor trying to make the longest trails, with predictable results. The museum curators looked tired.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
How do you all approach Christmas? Set budgets, lecture grandparents not to buy garbage toys?I have a 3yr old and 6yr old and they always have everything and don’t need new toys.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Glumwheels posted:

How do you all approach Christmas? Set budgets, lecture grandparents not to buy garbage toys?I have a 3yr old and 6yr old and they always have everything and don’t need new toys.

I have declared Jihad to sister-in-law. She who gave my 2 year old son Fancy Fabric Grade Sneaker Markers at the Ancestral Family Home and then left him unattended in the forbidden living room with all the fancy stuff and glass tables. The little guy was barely into his first Jumbo crayon lessons, this was a like handing a kid who just learned his first nun-chuck form a 9-ringed sword. He refused to destroy everything like she had plotted, which is a testament to the pureness of heart my boy has. To this day that was the most hateful present I have ever received as a parent and I haven't read any r/offmychest posts that compare to that.

I put a link to the amazon wishlist in our christmas cards because I'm a gross goblin. In general, I think the people who would follow your input will seek your input and people who don't seek your input were gonna get your kid whatever they were gonna get anyways. All presents are precious. I have the fabric markers locked away for when the boy has graduated from the 36 Chambers of Coloring.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
one thing that we find helps is that anything extra the kids ask for between Halloween and Christmas becomes Christmas gift fodder.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

I finally went to "no gifts from family". They don't need them and it's a pain in the rear end to come up with gift lists, we don't have room for more toys anyway. Santa brings four gifts for each kid, The End. We still have a multi-year backlog of gifts in storage that they unwrapped but never opened.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

We have spent years trying to get grandparents to chill with gifts. We have tried the Amazon wishlist thing, no dice. Saying "no gifts, please" was a total non-starter. So we've just straight-up told them "if we think it's too big or redundant or we just plain don't like it we are donating it and the kids won't have it." That was not taken well at all but we pointed out that being reasonable about gifts in the past has not worked so we were left with no choice but to go nuclear.

Even that has still not stopped the deluge of plastic poo poo, but hey, some kids who actually do need toys are getting them, somewhere, maybe

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
"Too many Christmas presents" is not a problem I knew existed and I'm a bit confused by what you guys mean by it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

"Too many Christmas presents" is not a problem I knew existed and I'm a bit confused by what you guys mean by it.

Christmas gifts take up space and our house does not have infinite square footage

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

:yossame:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My folks like to spoil the kids at Christmas and I don't want to ruin their fun. The kids are good about giving away toys that they're sort of done with and that keeps it manageable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Some of us are petit bourgeoisie.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In my case it's actually because there's 4 grandparents who are only getting this one grandkid, and some boomer family friends who aren't getting any from their own kids so...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Great grandparents love to go to yard sales and buy the kids toy cribs and 2' tall dolls that they will never play with but were probably the poo poo in 1955.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My sister-in-law bought my daughter a 2'-tall doll for Christmas last year that scared the absolute poo poo out of her and which she has refused to even look at

and I don't blame her, it's uncanny-valley as hell

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I love how kids exclaim "let's gooooo" when they're excited now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my kid just elbow dropped me on my balls. it's been a rough day for dad

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

daughters one year birthday party is this weekend. cant believe its been a whole year lol.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

daughters one year birthday party is this weekend. cant believe its been a whole year lol.

you are about to enter a pretty fun age

to be followed by an absolutely soul crushing age
:siren::siren::siren:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Insanite posted:

i have an older kid (almost 4... drat...) so i know what im in for

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Insanite posted:

Every age is both.

Edit: My 3yo to my 6yo: "Are you available? I really want to play with you."

PerniciousKnid has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Nov 30, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

Happy to see you are well~

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I know that feeling. I'm often asked to move my arms, which are protecting my balls and stomach from various drops. Kids are fun, right?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I’ve tried hinting and now demanding to limit the gifts to certain toys or items (board games, educational/art/craft sets, experiences, books, clothes) to stop the endless plastic accumulation. I was pissed that my SIL bought a Barbie camper, which has endless tiny plastic pieces, when she doesn’t have the money. I’d rather she save her money to buy a ticket to visit her niece and nephew vs us having to do it. They won’t remember the camper in the future and my daughter hasn’t touched it in months.

My parents have the nerve to complain constantly about all the toys at their house that they bought for the kids. As if I told them to buy those toys or something.

I may have to resort to new toy donations or returning to the store for cash back or gift cards to use on items the kids actually need. Maybe then they’ll all stop.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dreylad posted:

My 5yo's head is at crotch height and she loves dashing at me for a hug when I pick her up. I learnt quickly to brace for impact.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

I may have to resort to new toy donations or returning to the store for cash back or gift cards to use on items the kids actually need. Maybe then they’ll all stop.

They probably won’t but you gotta do what ya gotta do to maintain your own sanity

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
"Why is the remote covered in vaseline?"
"You know why."

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I should really change my avatar :shepspends:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Votskomit posted:

I should really change my avatar :shepspends:

Yeah how butt fuckable can you be?
Or did it become a necessity once the front got occupied?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Votskomit posted:

"Why is the remote covered in vaseline?"
"You know why."

ominous...

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah how butt fuckable can you be?
Or did it become a necessity once the front got occupied?

Apparently this avatar belonged to smarxist, and the responsibility was handed over to me. You'll have to ask smarxist the origins.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Votskomit posted:

Apparently this avatar belonged to smarxist, and the responsibility was handed over to me. You'll have to ask smarxist the origins.

Can't, he daed.

My toddler has been snuggling with dog this week and it has been the absolute best.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Can't, he daed.

My toddler has been snuggling with dog this week and it has been the absolute best.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
actually laughed because I got a robocall from the school saying there was an event investigated by the police while the school went into lockdown that turned out to be a car backfiring