Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Like I said, he's right there.

Was he on QI? I don't see him on this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_QI_panellists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
He's been on the task master podcasts a few times, and the web version of the Guy Mont Spelling Bee.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Well I'm convinced I've seen Tompkins in one of the panel shows anyway. Am I Mandela-ing myself? No, it's must be you who's gaslighting me!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just found out that Taskmaster VR game is written by the guys who did the games "Ben There, Dan That" and "Time Gentlemen, Please!", two adventure games that have some of my favourite writing in them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Boxturret posted:

He's been on the task master podcasts a few times, and the web version of the Guy Mont Spelling Bee.

Right there!!!!

C'mon Alex. Or just license Taskmaster to Dropout/folks in the LA Comedy scene to do a faithful version. The pool of podcast/actual comedians there that would kill it. In the good way, not in the the ill-fated original US version way.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Does anyone know if the international versions have a similar dynamic where it's the "assistant" who brought the show to the network and planned the tasks but gives credit to the taskmaster in-character, or is it the taskmaster themselves who did the planning, or is it 100% producers doing it on those networks?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Tagra posted:

Does anyone know if the international versions have a similar dynamic where it's the "assistant" who brought the show to the network and planned the tasks but gives credit to the taskmaster in-character, or is it the taskmaster themselves who did the planning, or is it 100% producers doing it on those networks?

I think Paul Williams is actually involved in the task making process.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Right there!!!!

C'mon Alex. Or just license Taskmaster to Dropout/folks in the LA Comedy scene to do a faithful version. The pool of podcast/actual comedians there that would kill it. In the good way, not in the the ill-fated original US version way.

Brenan as Taskmaster and Katie as the assistant

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

Brenan as Taskmaster and Katie as the assistant
I know they're already hosting something, but Lily as the Taskmaster and Grant as the assistant.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Trump as the taskmaster and W as the assistant

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wungus posted:

I know they're already hosting something, but Lily as the Taskmaster and Grant as the assistant.

I don't think Taskmaster needs to be more horny than it already is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

I think Paul Williams is actually involved in the task making process.

Olli from Kongen befaler I'm pretty sure also mentioned in a podcast that he was involved in fine-tuning tasks. But I think at that point they were only using existing UK tasks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Right there!!!!

Dumber idea: have an LA version and an NYC version (with UCB or something) and every so often do an East vs. West special

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Speaking of local versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ZcMZbRP4o

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

'Aw, awesome. The couple of low-budget Taskmasters done so far have been pretty joyful.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Right there!!!!

As someone who just started watching game changer this week, I 100% agree.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

nerox posted:

As someone who just started watching game changer this week, I 100% agree.

I am jealous, you have so many fun things ahead of you to discover

nerox
May 20, 2001

Kloaked00 posted:

I am jealous, you have so many fun things ahead of you to discover

I’ve been sick the last two days, so actually I am very close to being done with it. I watched season 5, then 4, then 1. So just a part of 2 and all of 3 left.

The musical theatre episode was legit just amazing and may be my favorite episode.

It also really makes me want to try to watch Dimension 20.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

nerox posted:

It also really makes me want to try to watch Dimension 20.

Nice! And at the risk of this comment derailing this thread into a Dropout appreciation station, will just flag that there's a whole thread for their stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965249&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=52#post535306809 D20 is the crown jewel of their network, so there's dozens of recommendations/thoughts on where to start there.

Given they've done two 'Survivor' finales, I feel like a Taskmaster riff has to be loaded in the cannon somewhere. But it'd be hard to pull off really in a two-off. The masterstroke of Taskmaster was the idea of keeping the same cast for 6-10 episodes. Really felt (and suppose still feels) fresh compared to other game shows, and really lets you sit with the contestants. No one's voted off, so in almost every case even the badly performing contestants get at least a couple moments to shine.

They got so many other things right, but to me at least that's what makes it such a unique and brilliant viewing, even after 16 seasons.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 1, 2023

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Nice! And at the risk of this comment derailing this thread into a Dropout appreciation station, will just flag that there's a whole thread for their stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965249&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=52#post535306809 D20 is the crown jewel of their network, so there's dozens of recommendations/thoughts on where to start there.

Given they've done two 'Survivor' finales, I feel like a Taskmaster riff has to be loaded in the cannon somewhere. But it'd be hard to pull off really in a two-off. The masterstroke of Taskmaster was the idea of keeping the same cast for 6-10 episodes. Really felt (and suppose still feels) fresh compared to other game shows, and really lets you sit with the contestants. No one's voted off, so in almost every case even the badly performing contestants get at least a couple moments to shine.

They got so many other things right, but to me at least that's what makes it such a unique and brilliant viewing, even after 16 seasons.

They did do an escape room either last season or the one before that had a similar energy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

The musical theatre episode was legit just amazing and may be my favorite episode.

Yeah all of them are good but that one and the Shakespeare one were absolutely astonishing.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

smackfu posted:

They are going to start running Taskmaster New Zealand S1 on YouTube Friday, if anyone wants to see it who didn’t want to go through the effort of pirating it.

S2's the one with David Correos, right? (I stumbled into the Guy Mont Spelling Bee accidentally when I clicked on a video titled "comedians suffering psychic damage" and David was the thumbnail, but instead of it being the caravan task it was the Spelling Bee and holy poo poo is that show hilarious.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's weirdly compelling for what it is. Comspelling.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm sad that we will never see Robin Williams attempt Taskmaster. I wonder if they could convince Colin Mochrie to give it a go.

I wonder how Tim Minchin would do... either on UK or AU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I searched on YouTube for "comedians suffering psychic damage" and found a lot of depressing videos but not that one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tagra posted:

I'm sad that we will never see Robin Williams attempt Taskmaster. I wonder if they could convince Colin Mochrie to give it a go.

I wonder how Tim Minchin would do... either on UK or AU

I predict that NZ and AU can become sufficiently big to attract some local international celebrities, if they start doing New Year Treats. Taika Waititi probably doesn't have a free fortnight in NZ but might have a day for filming.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Turns out I didn’t actually watch NZ season 1 since people said season 2 was so great so I skipped over it. So this is a nice treat.

https://youtu.be/fq3wBXKSH_c?si=N4j7bEChnZS7LsbR

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Paladinus posted:

I predict that NZ and AU can become sufficiently big to attract some local international celebrities, if they start doing New Year Treats. Taika Waititi probably doesn't have a free fortnight in NZ but might have a day for filming.

Dunno how big a hit it is over there, but feel like they're due for one of the Flight of the Conchord boys to do it in some miraculous future where their schedules open up.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
NZ1 can be a bit polarising in certain corners of the net. (Jeremy is never going to be Greg. Both Guy and Leigh have a certain arrogance in their performances.)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The Libya song is still one of my all time favourite Taskmaster moments.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paladinus posted:

If they could get Taika, Jermaine, Brett and Rhys together that'd be the most watched new years treat ever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

The Libya song is still one of my all time favourite Taskmaster moments.
That was a fantastic task we won't ever see UK doing for obvious reasons.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

NZ1 can be a bit polarising in certain corners of the net. (Jeremy is never going to be Greg. Both Guy and Leigh have a certain arrogance in their performances.)

Agree with this. Don't recall disliking NZ S1, but did dislike Guy and I can't remember any of the contestants or tasks besides Angella Dravid delivering the wildest storiesof her life. Will continue to beat the drum that Jeremy is not only not Greg but also a dud of a taskmaster.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Personally I didn't mind Guy or Leigh, and Jeremy while bland doesn't sabotage the show.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I really enjoyed Leigh, and though I disliked Guy on first watch, I warmed up to him on a re-watch, once I was 'in on the joke' so to speak.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Leatherhead posted:

I really enjoyed Leigh, and though I disliked Guy on first watch, I warmed up to him on a re-watch, once I was 'in on the joke' so to speak.

Yeah, it's probably a lot easier for an NZ audience who know that the joke is firmly on Guy every time he acts self important or incredulous. And while it's not essential, if you've viewed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ceC7ERsLc before the first episode then you'll recognise that when Leigh hamstrings himself in the bread batting task, it all stems from him wanting to drop a reference to one of his most famous "bits".

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 4, 2023

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I'm two episodes into NZ1 and maybe it's just cos I came off the back of AU but Jeremy seems fine. At least I like him a lot more than forgettable bald man from AU, and at least so far the studio bits have flowed better than they did for AU, where everything felt just kinda.. dead and flat between the tasks.

I also feel a bit bad for the nervous girl on the far left who has dropped some absolute banger dry jokes that just nobody has reacted to.

Guy can get lost.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Angela is the reason I watched the first season, someone did a compilation of her prizes and it was enough to win me over.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Leatherhead posted:

I also like Leigh, he's got a bit more going on than some of the generic older guys not really into it. I really liked the task where he totally ignored the brief and just made a grilled cheese sandwich for Paul, who admitted that it was the best grilled cheese he'd ever had in his life.

Lord Bob posted:

I also feel a bit bad for the nervous girl on the far left who has dropped some absolute banger dry jokes that just nobody has reacted to.

Angella starts out a bit quiet but she's incredibly funny and by far the best part about that first series, she's one of my favorite ever contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

smackfu posted:

I searched on YouTube for "comedians suffering psychic damage" and found a lot of depressing videos but not that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN8bCoyehtc