Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dang so they have skin slots in the crafting menus but the only way to get skins was to pre order or buy the $300 version of the game??

like, I was totally fine with just committing to the boring regular spaceman poo poo with constellation gear, but I would have to pay 300 fuckin clams for the extra special edition for constellation skins

guess I'll just keep rocking my white constellation suit and helmet with no legendary effects, not like the game is hard enough to warrant them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I said come in! posted:

This is actually news to me, I had always thought Todd Howards team was not at all involved with Fallout 76. I have tried to play the game multiple times, even after the big updates, and cant get more than an hour before I bounce off it. F76 is dreadfully terrible.

There's been several news pieces on it, but Bethesda has been suffering through a management crisis since at least Fallout 4's development. Management is comprised of old devs with zero management skills and an inability to directly say 'no,' while the new blood with a functional understanding of creation engine capabilities gets ignored and either burns out or gets laid off.

Microsoft stepped in and was the driving force behind 76's turnaround expansion, and one of the first things Bethesda had to do as a MSX subsidiary was a firing the 16 year company veteran who was the project lead on 76.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

There's been several news pieces on it, but Bethesda has been suffering through a management crisis since at least Fallout 4's development. Management is comprised of old devs with zero management skills and an inability to directly say 'no,' while the new blood with a functional understanding of creation engine capabilities gets ignored and either burns out or gets laid off.

Microsoft stepped in and was the driving force behind 76's turnaround expansion, and one of the first things Bethesda had to do as a MSX subsidiary was a firing the 16 year company veteran who was the project lead on 76.

What turnaround expansion was that?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

hawowanlawow posted:

dang so they have skin slots in the crafting menus but the only way to get skins was to pre order or buy the $300 version of the game??

like, I was totally fine with just committing to the boring regular spaceman poo poo with constellation gear, but I would have to pay 300 fuckin clams for the extra special edition for constellation skins

guess I'll just keep rocking my white constellation suit and helmet with no legendary effects, not like the game is hard enough to warrant them anyway

There's all of three skins available with the pre-order bonus and two of them are on guns you'll never use after the early game, you're not really missing out on anything. Whatever plans they had for more skins clearly got put on the back burner while they were making the deadline for launch.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

What turnaround expansion was that?

Wastelanders, which introduced human NPCs, several quest lines and began balance overhauls.

It didn't necessarily make the game good, but what it introduced was less bad than the game elements that came before it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Wastelanders, which introduced human NPCs, several quest lines and began balance overhauls.

It didn't necessarily make the game good, but what it introduced was less bad than the game elements that came before it.

And they did this a year before actually acquiring Bethesda...how?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

And they did this a year before actually acquiring Bethesda...how?

Todd asked very nicely!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesdas-todd-howard-called-phil-spencer-after-the-difficult-fallout-76-launch/1100-6488720/ posted:

When Fallout 76 released with its numerous issues, Bethesda's Todd Howard made a phone call to Xbox boss Phil Spencer that ended up helping to turn things around.

During the Bethesda-Microsoft briefing on Thursday, Howard recalled that Spencer was one of the first people he called when things went south with Fallout 76. Spencer directed Howard to some people at Xbox who gave Howard and his team at Bethesda some good advice about how to turn the ship around and get Fallout 76 back on the right path.

Another interesting twist comes from the leaked FTC case emails, where Spencer is contemplating shutting down 76 altogether.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 30, 2023

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Starfield is gonna release horse armor and forget to add horses

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Todd asked very nicely!

Another interesting twist comes from the leaked FTC case emails, where Spencer is contemplating shutting down 76 altogether.

I think you are criminally stretching to reach "Microsoft stepped in" from "Todd phoned a buddy to ask for advice", but it is interesting all the same.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Magmarashi posted:

I think you are criminally stretching to reach "Microsoft stepped in" from "Todd phoned a buddy to ask for advice", but it is interesting all the same.

They have been close friends for like 20 years as far as companies go and in 5 seconds of googling I found out Todd is literally quoted as saying Microsoft helped Bethesda turn around Fallout 76

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

hawowanlawow posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/5549

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

orcane posted:

Are you using a mod that skips docking cutscenes? Because I was observing this in my playthrough and it was usually happening when I got out of the pilot seat while the docking animation wasn't finished playing in the background.

It did happen a few times even when I was careful to wait long enough so there's still Bethesda jank though.

Semi related, I've had it let me get up while landing before and it's kinda neat how well the game handles it instead of just flipping apart. The game is oddly robust in ways.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

isndl posted:

There's all of three skins available with the pre-order bonus and two of them are on guns you'll never use after the early game, you're not really missing out on anything. Whatever plans they had for more skins clearly got put on the back burner while they were making the deadline for launch.

of course I pirated the game before I bought it and saw what a joke those crappy skins were
even better: i think the keywords for skins and so on are accessable with Xedit, so, all the texture replacers can just be added to an esm and you can pic and choose.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Macichne Leainig posted:

They have been close friends for like 20 years as far as companies go and in 5 seconds of googling I found out Todd is literally quoted as saying Microsoft helped Bethesda turn around Fallout 76

"Have you considered adding NPCs?"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

hawowanlawow posted:

There’s a pretty good spacesuit locked in a glass display cabinet in the basement of the lodge. It’s behind a Master lock, but if you stand in exactly the right place you can loot it through the door

Or just do the Mantis quest!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Azhais posted:

"Have you considered adding NPCs?"

The thing is that a lot of similar games like conan exiles did the same thing for a while, and pretty much all of them got the same complaints. I wonder if there was some idea sweeping the industry at the time, or if it really is just a lot of different people in change, not understanding what their customer base is interested in.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Hel posted:

The thing is that a lot of similar games like conan exiles did the same thing for a while, and pretty much all of them got the same complaints. I wonder if there was some idea sweeping the industry at the time, or if it really is just a lot of different people in change, not understanding what their customer base is interested in.

I think the impulse was to recreate the kind of player-driven dynamic of something like Rust, where the players would be each other's NPCs

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

I randomly found one that had a different skin available, one of the very first cutters I had, I think. I've never seen it available again. $300 :lol:

webmeister posted:

There’s a pretty good spacesuit locked in a glass display cabinet in the basement of the lodge. It’s behind a Master lock, but if you stand in exactly the right place you can loot it through the door

Or just do the Mantis quest!

I think they fixed it, I couldn't do it in NG+ recently. Rare armor rains on you when you go to higher level of planets anyway p. Shooting your way through a few poi's in level 60 systems will get you armor, guns, and even ships that will carry you through the main game.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 1, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Simiain posted:

I think the impulse was to recreate the kind of player-driven dynamic of something like Rust, where the players would be each other's NPCs

Weren't the server limits really low too tho?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Azhais posted:

The empty planets would be less boring if I could fly down to the planet, fly around the surface, then leave. But the all fast travel movement system makes the game feel like a series of vignettes and in that context "barren wasteland" is boring as hell

Play Elite Dangerous it gets boring real quickly.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

They just made it take too long, and landing where you want seems like Russian roulette the first few times you do it. If I'm remembering, No Man's Sky lets you land manually so you got the scale of the planet, but also makes it quick and simple by compressing the distance and ignoring the orbit system in E:D so you can point at where you want to land and land there. ... Didn't it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Flowing Thot posted:

They also thought remaking the entirety of our galaxy was a good idea. Sorry but to borrow Starfield’s excuse, space is loving boring

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I wish this game wouldn't crash every third loading screen

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Empty planets are not boring because real people weren't bored on the moon is an actually incredible statement for a human to have written.

It's probably not true as well, I bet those dudes were hella bored when they weren't actively working.

They took an 8 hour nap on their mission lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

isndl posted:

They had an extra year of bonus development time bc MS noticed it was a bit poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

elite dangerous has tons of boring planets but at least it has actual flight mechanics, vehicles, etc.. i agree its not a terribly exciting game but at least its a game about interplanetary space travel that lets you actually do interplanetary space travel, and it generally has more interesting stuff going on than starfield. which is, of course, a very low bar. and its cool to see the galaxy actually mapped out at scale with proper orbits and everything instead of just planets floating in a skybox

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Static planets in a skybox, iirc. again, theres a ton of good stuff in SF, but the crap stuff is just so clunky and glaring. in some cases bugs make entire quests impossible to complete, a bunch of design descisions in an otherwise not too terribly thought out reality looks like bethesda saying "come at me bro" to modders.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They must be static after you load a map, I've definitely gone into a science outpost during the day and come out at night. It's odd if they are though, the moons moving through the sky was a big feature of Skyrim, and in Starfield your watch tells the time using a little picture of the planet's phase or whatever. The watch must have been a bigger deal earlier on, it does very little and doesn't seem that significant but people talk about it a couple times like they've never seen one before.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 3, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Khanstant posted:

They had an extra year of bonus development time bc MS noticed it was a bit poo poo.

Yeah but with the weapons there's the caveat that they outsourced the designs to a university or something? So who knows when on the development timeline they showed up. Some weapon mods are also still missing model changes too.

There's a lot we can speculate but it should be safe to assume the artists weren't doing nothing, the question is what was the something that had priority. loving around with fauna for the various planets maybe?

staberind posted:

Static planets in a skybox, iirc. again, theres a ton of good stuff in SF, but the crap stuff is just so clunky and glaring. in some cases bugs make entire quests impossible to complete, a bunch of design descisions in an otherwise not too terribly thought out reality looks like bethesda saying "come at me bro" to modders.

The planets aren't static though, because their movement is modeled and when the stars align you can get eclipses. The map view is static, presumably for player convenience, except the Den seemed to swap positions a couple times and I have no idea what's up with that.

In some respects it's kind of tragic that they clearly put a ton of effort into some of the foundational mechanics like planetary movement and terrain generation, and then they have bare bones content layered over it. You never see the planets move because you have all of a minute before you fast travel away, and you have a great terrain engine stuck working with the same dozen POIs all the time. One of the few areas where the game Just Works and nobody cares because of all the other problems.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Being able to fly down to a planet without a loading screen does nothing to solve the games actual problems. Space is loving boring.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Space really does suck for such a nearly infinite expanse of everything else on the universe. So far we've only found one planet worth hanging out on and a tiny handful of sucker fixer uppers.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Flowing Thot posted:

Being able to fly down to a planet without a loading screen does nothing to solve the games actual problems. Space is loving boring.

No, you don't understand if I could only soar over all the NOTHING it would fix the game!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just got it, played for an hour or so and got to New Atlantis.

I'm kind of struggling with getting used to the controls and stuff, not really intuitive.

Plays perfectly fine on my 9900k 3090 @ 3440x1440 though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

space itself might be boring but i dont think the process of flying a spaceship and managing its various parts and systems is boring, thats an activity (or set of activities) that can be fun and interesting and challenging in and of itself.

i dont think adding actual space and planetary flight into the game would solve all of the games problems, or even a quarter of them really, but it would certainly make it more appealing than it currently is for many players.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 4, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Earwicker posted:

space itself might be boring but i dont think the process of flying a spaceship and managing its various parts and systems is boring, thats an activity (or set of activities) that can be fun and interesting and challenging in and of itself.

i dont think adding actual space and planetary flight into the game would solve all of the games problems, or even a quarter of them really, but it would certainly make it more appealing than it currently is for many players.

I think adding that stuff would just make the game worse. The game would be better off without landing anywhere on entire planets. Have like 10 planets with desiginated landing zones instead of 1000 star systems with a bunch of planets and moons you can land anywhere. Also get rid of the entire part where you fly the spaceship it's pointless and bad. I know Morrowind moving to a fixed map instead of the wide open nothingness of Daggerfall had it's doubters, but it was the right move.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flowing Thot posted:

I think adding that stuff would just make the game worse. The game would be better off without landing anywhere on entire planets. Have like 10 planets with desiginated landing zones instead of 1000 star systems with a bunch of planets and moons you can land anywhere. Also get rid of the entire part where you fly the spaceship it's pointless and bad. I know Morrowind moving to a fixed map instead of the wide open nothingness of Daggerfall had it's doubters, but it was the right move.

I mean, they sort of did do that. The "land anywhere" feature is pointless outside of engaging with their wonky outpost system. I can't imagine setting up procgen for all the planets was actually bottlenecking the content development, but maybe the team just kept going back and reworking things.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To actually get close to capturing the previous Bethesda experience but in space, they probably should have done
  • a limited amount of planets/moons with handcrafted areas/biomes
  • with manually placed PoIs (basically Skyrim map but spread over a bunch of planets)
  • then you can go and add a way to seamlessly take off from somewhere, fly to the planets and arrive in orbit or directly take a scripted flight to the playable area (skippable etc.) so you don't FEEL like you're exclusively navigating fast travel cutscenes
  • if you need action in space you can still have planet scanning/asteroid belt mining/space stations/ship combat on warp-in points
Does that sound too much like an expanded version of KotOR/Mass Effect?

The current way is clunky to navigate, makes the entire game feel disjointed and all we gained is being able to find differently colored rocks where same types of PoI are identical everywhere, and they don't even seem to have sanity checks for them (cryo labs on a scorching hot planet, outposts where colonists live in open containers on a freezing moon etc.).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

I think adding that stuff would just make the game worse. The game would be better off without landing anywhere on entire planets. Have like 10 planets with desiginated landing zones instead of 1000 star systems with a bunch of planets and moons you can land anywhere.

i agree with you that 10 planets would be better than 1000, but ideally with 10 planets there would actually be enough interesting stuff on all of 10 of them that flying around them would be cool and fun.

with the caveat of course that, as with most other theoretical improvements, this concept also relies on other factors being in play to truly work, e.g. having an entirely different writing team involved and also while we're at it some more interesting art direction as well

orcane posted:

To actually get close to capturing the previous Bethesda experience but in space, they probably should have done

i mean it depends on which bethesda experience

starfield feels closest to fallout3 in space. or maybe oblivion if i had to pick one of the tes games, due to its extremely generic take on the genre

if they wanted to do something like morrowind in space they'd need to create some kind of unique or at least exotic/alien future culture instead of just star trek, blade runner, and firefly cities with the names changed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They definitely needed to shrink the size of the game map somehow, yes

It's just too much as-is and they were clearly not able to do everything they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's really not close to Fallout 3 unless you mean the part where you have to go through garbage metro tunnels in order to access the central part of the map. But it's still a game that allowed you to roam the Capital Wasteland, ending up in Tranquility Lane before you ever got the quest to visit Rivet City by pointing yourself towards some hand-crafted PoI, and getting distracted by different PoI markers on the way, like in other recent Bethesda games - this is not possible in Starfield at all. The only PoIs worth visiting in Starfield are the bespoke locations for quests, and most of them aren't even on a map before you get the corresponding objectives, and you will never find them by randomly navigating the starmap.