Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Extortionist posted:

he's even worse than the marvel cinematic universe

He's like a phase 2 villain but in phase 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

I'm in Vietnam right now and asked my friend if anyone was celebrating or cared. She said no, which seemed weird to me but as far as I can tell people over here aren't holding much of a grudge about the Vietnam war. They say it's Buddhist to let things roll off of you. They also had a lot of lovely countries loving around in a row so Kissinger/America is just another in a list of dirtbags that is miles long. winning also helps lol.

I actually only made this post to ask what a 6'er is.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU_Ak3t18Xc

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Wertjoe posted:

I'm in Vietnam right now and asked my friend if anyone was celebrating or cared. She said no, which seemed weird to me but as far as I can tell people over here aren't holding much of a grudge about the Vietnam war. They say it's Buddhist to let things roll off of you. They also had a lot of lovely countries loving around in a row so Kissinger/America is just another in a list of dirtbags that is miles long. winning also helps lol.

It’s kinda surprising to me how many people I’ve seen and met that say how chill the Vietnamese are regarding, ya know, the whole “massacre of their people” thing the US did and how an American passport isn’t an invitation to beat the poo poo out of its owner. When I was in my 20’s I met a kid who came back from vacationing there and I was genuinely surprised that they even allowed Americans into the country.

Also a 6’er is a 6-hour celebratory probation marking a date or a joke or whatever. It’s fun, you should try it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Von Pluring posted:

All the evil seem to live forever

Capitalism rewards those who excel in evil

The only way to attain the best healthcare is via capital

Evil people can thus afford to live longer while the good die in agony :)

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
We need to cast his head into the Great Devoid in order to usher in the next age

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

funeral home DJ posted:

It’s kinda surprising to me how many people I’ve seen and met that say how chill the Vietnamese are regarding, ya know, the whole “massacre of their people” thing the US did and how an American passport isn’t an invitation to beat the poo poo out of its owner. When I was in my 20’s I met a kid who came back from vacationing there and I was genuinely surprised that they even allowed Americans into the country.

Also a 6’er is a 6-hour celebratory probation marking a date or a joke or whatever. It’s fun, you should try it.

I went to Vietnam a few years ago and it's an absolutely wonderful country. They really are chill with Americans and super, super friendly. It's been my favorite country to visit by far.

Their war museum is sobering, though. I also think there's a lot at play, such as us making the decision to open up, forge stronger ties and combat China (which is a huge thing for Vietnam). I also think they don't really believe in the sins of the father thing, but even then I've seen Vietnamese forgive US war veterans so I think at the base it's a culture thing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

funeral home DJ posted:

The history of Vietnam for the last several 100 years is nothing but some imperial power or another being awful to them. Right after we left China turned around and tried to invade them. Maybe that gives you a dispassionate perspective on the whole thing.

And right now China is yet again being cockbags to them and everyone else in southeast asia, so they've got extra motive to let bygones be bygones.

Burns
May 10, 2008

dsf posted:

We need to cast his head into the Great Devoid in order to usher in the next age

I understand this reference.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

While we're on Vietnam Chat, look up the end of the Khmer Rouge. They turned around after kicking the Americans' asses and without even wiping the blood off their faces, did possibly the 20th century's only unalloyed humanitarian intervention.

China also tried an invasion to get them to back off the nominally communist Khmer Rouge and they split their forces, whipped China to at least a stalemate (both sides credibly claim victory, which is always and everywhere a loss for the bigger power) and kept going into Cambodia.

Jimmy Carter's next on the reaper's docket so its worth remembering, amidst all the eulogies that amount to 'Public Christian who Smiled A Lot and Got Done at Politics By Reagan' it was his administration, in true Democratic nerdlinger GOP appeasing, notice-me-senpai fashion, sanctioned the Vietnamese for invading Cambodia and treated the Khmer as the rightful representatives of Cambodia. They were parking illegally in NYC as the UN delegation well into the 80s while the actual cambodians were trying to rebuild their country and bury their dead.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
there's so many articles about what a great politician he was. which automatically means he did some horrible poo poo.

there's that huge list of poo poo Trump did, that multi-paragraph post. do we have one for henry k yet?

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

PipHelix posted:

Jimmy Carter's next on the reaper's docket so its worth remembering, amidst all the eulogies that amount to 'Public Christian who Smiled A Lot and Got Done at Politics By Reagan' it was his administration, in true Democratic nerdlinger GOP appeasing, notice-me-senpai fashion, sanctioned the Vietnamese for invading Cambodia and treated the Khmer as the rightful representatives of Cambodia. They were parking illegally in NYC as the UN delegation well into the 80s while the actual cambodians were trying to rebuild their country and bury their dead.

reminds me of the laughable insistence by US media and even Wikipedia for a while that Juan Guido was the actual president of Venezuela, with evidence supporting this appealing to the notion that ".gov" sources are the most credible.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Or that half an hour when western media/govt was hoping Ahmed Shah Massoud's kid would be able to hold even ten square meters of Afghanistan so they could pretend he was president and not the guys who won the war.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 30, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wertjoe posted:

others have touched on it but there's a certain "american exceptionalism" to believe that vietnam should hate america or whatever. it was obviously a hugely, massive deal in vietnam, but the effects on the american psyche were much more damaging, as vietnam already had a long history of brutal oppression. to vietnam, america was just another one to try. americans want to believe their war was special but it unfortunately wasnt. its a bit oversimplifying to say that but yeah. the views espoused by my exwifes viet/lao family, the older members having lived through the conflict and fled, were basically a big shrug. it was rly funny to talk to them about it, knowing how it was still a permeating presence in the mind of many americans here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

others have touched on it but there's a certain "american exceptionalism" to believe that vietnam should hate america or whatever. it was obviously a hugely, massive deal in vietnam, but the effects on the american psyche were much more damaging, as vietnam already had a long history of brutal oppression. to vietnam, america was just another one to try. americans want to believe their war was special but it unfortunately wasnt. its a bit oversimplifying to say that but yeah. the views espoused by my exwifes viet/lao family, the older members having lived through the conflict and fled, were basically a big shrug. it was rly funny to talk to them about it, knowing how it was still a permeating presence in the mind of many americans here

pretty much everyone I knew who served over there is dead now, but, "Americans want to believe their war was special but it unfortunately wasn't," is the takeaway most of those guys got from it and passed on to me, as well.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Vaxxed?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w22oYdgU2Y

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Dude was cartoonishly evil. Gross.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Just woke up and he’s still dead :lol: :lmao:

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Took a dump this morning in celebration

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Amon26/status/1730087460359553378

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

woke up hungover,

but then I remembered why and I loled

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hope the people who cry for him get pink eye.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hope the people who cry for him get pink eye.

What if they’re crying tears of joy? I feel those should be exempted from the pink eye.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

others have touched on it but there's a certain "american exceptionalism" to believe that vietnam should hate america or whatever.
One interesting thing is when this leads to different evaluations of individuals. Like there's obviously no shortage of Americans making fun of Kissinger's demise, which is fine, but in China he's praised for his role in normalizing China-US relations.

I've heard John McCain is portrayed positively in Vietnam, since he played a leading role in normalizing US-Vietnamese relations back in the 90s, whereas Americans almost invariably only know of McCain in relation to Vietnam as a bomber pilot and POW.

I'm also reminded of reading that Brezhnev and friends weren't thrilled when Nixon resigned, since they associated him with détente, whereas I doubt there were mixed feelings among Americans on the left for obvious reasons.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 30, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cowslips Warren posted:

there's so many articles about what a great politician he was. which automatically means he did some horrible poo poo.

there's that huge list of poo poo Trump did, that multi-paragraph post. do we have one for henry k yet?

well for one he bombed every square inch of laos

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://i.imgur.com/nWdjpiI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QisSlkL.mp4

My tribute to the fallen statesman.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Enver Zogha posted:

I'm also reminded of reading that Brezhnev and friends weren't thrilled when Nixon resigned, since they associated him with détente, whereas I doubt there were mixed feelings among Americans on the left for obvious reasons.

Brezhnev and Nixon probably got along great because they were absolutely shitbirds of a feather.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Shane McGowan, at the end of a life spent eating every chemical, vice, and sin for papa nurgle, bursting like puffball mushroom as we follow the cloud of spores through the hospital HVAC ducts to where Kissinger is resting in a secret secure wing, confident in the adrenochrome treatments the doctors have assured him are proof against all 'known' disease.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Is there any chance we could have him die again? for posterity?

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
where's the pissinger probes

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SAY YOHO posted:

Is there any chance we could have him die again? for posterity?

poo poo, I just realized that the next time someone cool dies, we won't be able to say "but henry kissinger still lives, gently caress this earth"

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Thankfully Henry Hugginger is doing just fine and is a nice little man

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post

Klyith posted:

poo poo, I just realized that the next time someone cool dies, we won't be able to say "but henry kissinger still lives, gently caress this earth"

but it's a nice round metric, so you can say "Jimmy Racism died at the rancid age of .78 Kissingers"

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

PipHelix posted:

Shane McGowan, at the end of a life spent eating every chemical, vice, and sin for papa nurgle, bursting like puffball mushroom as we follow the cloud of spores through the hospital HVAC ducts to where Kissinger is resting in a secret secure wing, confident in the adrenochrome treatments the doctors have assured him are proof against all 'known' disease.

aww gently caress. i like shane. He was a colossal fuckup but god drat he was one hell of a songwriter. fairytale of new york is my favorite christmas song.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

kissinger? i hardly know 'er!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

It is difficult to match the raw evil that Kissinger brought to the world but we can still glance at the scythe inching ever closed to Mitch McConnell and pray for it to find alacrity and accuracy.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Another oval office dead. Today is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

fartknocker posted:

What if they’re crying tears of joy? I feel those should be exempted from the pink eye.

Sure