Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

If you put all the stupid people in one place and let them self govern, this is the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Saalkin posted:

If you put all the stupid people in one place and let them self govern, this is the result.

For additional examples please refer to:

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Australia
Austria

[…]

Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vatican City
Venezuela
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

apatheticman posted:

The invoking comes with the caveat "to the extent legally permissible" so it's near toothless with bureaucratic interpretation.

The real test will be when they actually come to this point and we get to see which side blinks.

Assuming that the two governments are at loggerheads which they probably won't be because by the time any of this is material we'll be well into the Pee Pee dynasty.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

As an Albertan it is very distressing to consider that so many people in my province voted for that big dumb rear end in a top hat. Like, is the entire province high on glue or what the gently caress went on there?

Easily exploitable voting system, low voter turnout, and some well placed voter suppression makes it easy in pretty much every province for Conservatives to gain power. Alberta just happened to perfect it first.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The tyranny of the rurals

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Randalor posted:

So other than Alberta just going "I don't wanna!" to anything the federal government passes, what does this mean, and what can the federal government do in retribution? The article also mentioned Treaty violations. Is this Alberta declaring independence from Canada and ultimately resulting in the new country looking like swiss cheese? If Alberta stays part of Canada but refuses to abide by the federal legislation, can the federal government just cut off all federal funds and leave them to survive off of provincial taxes?

What happens is this goes to court and Alberta gets it's poo poo caved in either for paramountcy or division of powers reasons. You can't just make an act that takes from the feds power, it doesn't work that way here.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

OK but "activist judges" is also a card in their deck

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Newfie posted:

What happens is this goes to court and Alberta gets it's poo poo caved in either for paramountcy or division of powers reasons. You can't just make an act that takes from the feds power, it doesn't work that way here.

Nobody who voted for the UCP knows or cares about how the government or constitution actually works.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Nobody who voted for the UCP knows or cares about how the government or constitution actually works.

That sounds pretty normal though?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

flakeloaf posted:

OK but "activist judges" is also a card in their deck

Maybe in Alberta, but the most activist judge on the SC was Brown and he "retired" for being a sex pest and the rest of the bench thankfully aren't partisan hacks. Garbage on individual liberties, but something like this is much bigger in scope and impact than their decision recently on provincial project approval. This would more or less tear the entirety of constitutional law in Canada apart and nobody on our bench is prepared for that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Who was the judge that wrote that crazy long judgement that was a complete, point-by-point takedown of all the Sovereign Citizen nonsense? I think he was on Alberta Appeals or something, but either way, that guy rocks.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

PittTheElder posted:

Who was the judge that wrote that crazy long judgement that was a complete, point-by-point takedown of all the Sovereign Citizen nonsense? I think he was on Alberta Appeals or something, but either way, that guy rocks.

Meads v Meads, a Canadian Heritage Moment: https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

If you want to get your brain completely melted, check out what sovereign citizens think about justice Rooke: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvA1lWQ-iT8

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Newfie posted:

If you want to get your brain completely melted, check out what sovereign citizens think about justice Rooke: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvA1lWQ-iT8

holy poo poo you were not kidding i flipped around a bit and he's now saying judges are priests of baal who removed christianity from schools

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I think it'll be less about what is legally permissible and more what Alberta thinks it can get away with. This is, of course, assuming that the next government isn't conservative and just rolls back all of the scant good things we got under Trudeau.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

I think it'll be less about what is legally permissible and more what Alberta thinks it can get away with. This is, of course, assuming that the next government isn't conservative and just rolls back all of the scant good things we got under Trudeau.

If they try to take away my legal weed I will start bombing campaigns

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Google reaches deal on C-18

CBC posted:

The federal government had estimated earlier this year that Google's compensation should amount to about $172 million. Google estimated the value at $100 million.

Hey, it's a start, wonder how it all gets f-

quote:

The new regulations will allow Google to negotiate with a single group that would represent all media, allowing the company to limit its arbitration risk.

welp. Here's to hoping whatever body is made is reasonable I guess.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
So apparently India got lucky that when they tried to do a hit on another Sikh separatist living abroad the guy arranging the hit was caught first.

Cause this time they went after an American-Canadian citizen living in New York. If they had succeeded I don't see that panning out well for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYj9rvUbeDY

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Not cancon but gently caress it it's my thread:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2023/11/29/henry-kissinger-dead-obituary/

Rest in piss

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Holy sweet Jesus. It finally happened.

The end of history.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gone to the great war crimes court in the sky

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

now we gotta hope he fuckin stays dead

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Henry Kissinger's death is a thing to be celebrated by all peoples of the world.

I've got Champagne on ice. I hate that old oval office so much I wouldn't piss on his corpse after drinking it, he gets pissed on with Lucky Lager piss.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pleads posted:

now we gotta hope he fuckin stays dead

Stake through the heart and remove the head, just to be sure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

And then chain him to the casket, and bury it in cement. You really can't be too safe with that chap.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Just to remind you of this commonwealth banger of a clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlj48Rvp1c

I expect we will see similar in the days and weeks following today.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Henry Kissinger's death is a thing to be celebrated by all peoples of the world.

I've got Champagne on ice. I hate that old oval office so much I wouldn't piss on his corpse after drinking it, he gets pissed on with Lucky Lager piss.

So you mean the piss of the average UCP voter?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Kissinger was still alive? Jesus. I guess it's true what they say: Only the good die young

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Orthanc6 posted:

So apparently India got lucky that when they tried to do a hit on another Sikh separatist living abroad the guy arranging the hit was caught first.

Cause this time they went after an American-Canadian citizen living in New York. If they had succeeded I don't see that panning out well for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYj9rvUbeDY

It's crazy this isn't the biggest news story in both countries. The fact that hindu extremists are trying to assassinate people on Canadian and American soil 10 years ago would probably be grounds for severing international relations but with our need to have an anti China state in their sphere of influence we will probably just send Modi a google note about how killing our citizens makes us sad.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Newfie posted:

Yeah, and it's very likely that Danielle and her cadre of fanatics know this too but they rolled out the Sovereignty Act anyway because it gets the base all jazzed up. I know when the Act was first introduced it wasn't very popular with the "mainstream" populace either.

Newfie posted:

It's crazy this isn't the biggest news story in both countries. The fact that hindu extremists are trying to assassinate people on Canadian and American soil 10 years ago would probably be grounds for severing international relations but with our need to have an anti China state in their sphere of influence we will probably just send Modi a google note about how killing our citizens makes us sad.

It makes the Modi government look as bad as MBS and the Saudi government but more incompetent. The Liberals should absolutely be crowing about this, but they don't seem to be.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah, and it's very likely that Danielle and her cadre of fanatics know this too but they rolled out the Sovereignty Act anyway because it gets the base all jazzed up. I know when the Act was first introduced it wasn't very popular with the "mainstream" populace either.

I think at least part of it is wanting to get slapped down by the feds so they can whine about how persecuted poor little Alberta is by those wicked easterners.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Oh 100%

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Huzzah, the ONDP ate poo poo tonight and the Greens get a new MPP.

:toot:

Stiles is the worst NDP leader anywhere in the country since at least Cardy.

Edit: Bow tie guy was leagues better.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 1, 2023

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Anybody here an OLP member or became one to vote in their leadership contest? I imagine it'll be a Crombie win, which sucks, but I'm hoping they choose Erskine-Smith

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's at least kinda funny that "What if Mississauga, but the entire province?" is not even the worst political outcome of the decade.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Newfie posted:

Yeah but they’re trying to assassinate brown people in Canada so :shrug:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MNIMWA posted:

Anybody here an OLP member or became one to vote in their leadership contest? I imagine it'll be a Crombie win, which sucks, but I'm hoping they choose Erskine-Smith

I hope he wins too. He was the very progressive wing of the Liberals federally hopefully now provincially.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Joining a party to vote for their leadership is against the rules I’m afraid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Joining a party to vote for their leadership is against the rules I’m afraid.

I thought candidates in party leadership contests had big go out and sign up new members efforts just to get the new members to vote for the candidate in the contest. Provincially and federally.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Not a chance, that’ll get you disqualified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I know a lot of the thread isn’t from BC, so for reference: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3969026&pagenumber=486&perpage=40#post527143514